Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Would this be the right thread to ask if an iPad pro and apple pencil + procreate is worth it for the portability over a wacom tablet with a display? I currently have an old intuos 4 that is dying and would like to upgrade. The portability seems nice! I do some light zbrush work as well (all fairly low poly meshes), and I know that the ipad wouldn't work for that...but maybe there is an alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Neon Noodle posted:

yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
:orb:

Haha okay. Any feelings on whether the bigger one is worth it? Methinks it might be...

On the topic of digital sculpting, all I really require is being able to export models in .stl or .obj, has anyone used an iPad pro and forger?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Koramei posted:

+yet another to the iPad pro in this thread. I will say I'm not so hot on Procreate though; the brushes are great, but I felt like they went way too hard on sleekness over usability. Having to go through a couple of submenus every time I want to access the layers and change brushes and so on got really tiresome, although tbf I have a very digitally-reliant workflow so I can see how that's not an issue for people that don't interact with that stuff as often as I do.

Clip Studio absolutely owns on it though, it's the total opposite of Procreate in the UI regard; it's almost literally just the PC interface, so you can have as much of it there as you want and customize it to your heart's content and so on. Might not work as well with the smaller tablet though, seconding that I'd recommend getting the big one.

disclaimer for Clip Studio, importing all my brushes was a huge pain in the rear end. But after a few hours of tedium that was done and it's been almost literally perfect ever since.

edit: also I dunno if this is a consideration for you, but mockable as the ad campaign was it has been pretty good as a substitute laptop as long as you don't need to do any hardcore computer things. The smart keyboard is actually pretty good, although for some reason it stops recognizing it every time I have to connect to new wifi for the first time so I have to reboot it.

Thanks for the deets. I was considering using it as well with the keyboard as a pseudo laptop for business organizational purposes/makeshift shopify register, so it's good to know it would handle that well.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

On this note, does anyone have a good source of brushes or brush settings from procreate? Need to get away from these basic ones and was wondering if all y'all have some good suggestions.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Koramei posted:

Do you guys use a screen protector for texture with yours? I heard it dulls the colors a bit so I’ve been hesitant, but I’m wondering if I should get one.

I have a "make it like paper" screen protector on my ipad pro and it is so, so, so much better than drawing on straight glass. I think it was a german company that did a kickstarter?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I have the same screen protector (I believe it’s called PaperLike) and I would never go without it.

That's it!

I love the thing, it starts to lose effectiveness over time if you're not wearing a glove but then you give it a little wash with a damp paper towel and whammy, back in action. Mine also came with two so I guess it was only 15 each?

I probably don't use mine as much as a professional illustrator but they seem pretty durable.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Koramei posted:

New iPad Pro got announced, along with new apple pencil with magnetic charging this time so you don't have to have it jutting out precariously anymore. I'm assuming that's not backwards compatible though.

More importantly, full photoshop CC! Not just the gimped version. Kinda old news at this point but I didn't see it posted so

The current ipad pro has the magnetic thing on the side though, so wouldn't it work through there?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

CaptainCrunch posted:

The Astropad guys came out with this https://lunadisplay.com and I got one just a little while ago. I haven't really integrated it into my workflow yet (Procreate is sorta too good) but the tests I've done fiddling around with photoshop via the luna display are smooth as butter. The iPad becomes a (good) Wacom monitor tablet. Super responsive, the Apple Pencil's pressure sensitivity shines. So it could be an option.

I'm still trying to find a good way to do this for Zbrush but on a PC :( duet display seems to gently caress my computer everytime I try it.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

TVGM posted:

It does support pressure if you get Duet Pro, which is $20 / year: https://help.duetdisplay.com/faq/121330-how-much-does-duet-cost

Which would be great if it worked without massive lag (always seemed to for me anyways).

In my studio proper I have an old intuos 4 that I love and use for all my work, I just really look forward to being able to sculpt on a screen, and even better, sculpt on a screen that also is its own thing for travel.

I guess I'm answering my own question with a surface book, but those are much more expensive and I'm unsure how good the pressure sensitivity is?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

So for a while I tried Duet and it totally messed up my computer. I've just been using procreate with the pencil and have really enjoyed it (with paperlike, a necessity imo), but a few days ago I found EasyCanvas (http://www.easynlight.com/en/easycanvas/) and it actually seems pretty good.

I'd be curious if anyone else has impressions of it or experience. It is WAY better than Duet and probably functions closer to Astropad? I have never tried Astropad however.

Re: Case chat, I have a Moshi Origami case that I really like and can set up in a few different ways.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

TVGM posted:

2nd gen pencil only works with 3rd and 4th gen iPad Pros iirc

Yeah, I looked into getting one for my 2nd gen ipad pro and it wouldn't work with it. All the reviews I read say that they are for all intents and purposes the same, despite the design change.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

If anyone has an ipad and pencil, Astropad just announced their beta for the windows version of their screen sharing software. Not sure how well it works, but I'm going to try it out tonight. Hopefully it works better than the other offerings out there and lets me use my ipad as a cheap cintiq!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

I tested it out last night and seems to be better than every other offering I have tried so YMMV. I'm not used to a cintiq so maybe that makes a difference? Seemed pretty snappy. Wired though, didn't test wireless.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Astropad has an app that works with PCs and zbrush, and it works pretty well from what I’ve seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Astropad has changed their windows beta program to "Studio", software that allows an iPad to function as a drawing tablet on a Mac/PC. It works great, I love it, and I want to buy it but their new pricing model is a subscription :(