Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I had a 3 x 5 ish bamboo wacom tablet and felt it was very awkward to use considering I had a 26' screen and this thing's working area was about the size of my hand, used it to draw hair for my vector graphic artwork.

I more or less started out artwise imitating Rich Burlew's Order of the Stick style art and looking to make the jump to manga as the next logical step (as I like Rich's artstyle for what I feel it conveys a lot of emotion for very little complexity and I feel manga does similar).

Oots style drawings worked for me as it was basically just shape manipulation with the mouse but the full leap to drawing characters and more realistic looking back grounds the mouse is almost certainly insufficient and made some good progress with pencil and paper.

However now I would like to purchase a proper tablet, desk space isn't an issue and neither is money I think as I can it seems even afford the largest tablet available at futureshop through invoking their "we'll match our competitors price plus 10% further".

So my question is to those who have done some manga drawing is it the wrong logic to look to get something closest to a 1:1 ratio to my screen as possible (so my brain doesn't have to do the whole "objects in the mirror are larger then they appear" bit) or is larger generally more linearly more comfortable or is there a point where it gets "too big" and becomes less comfortable?

The large is just about 487$ Canadian, then two differently sized mediums at 330 and 400 respectively, all are the Intuos4 brand as well, goal is to make full fledged webcomic.

I am of the "If it only costs a little bit more might as well get it if it's that much better" school of thought and dislike getting entry level gadgets for the fear when I do eventually and inevitably go deeper in I end up spending more in total then if I had simply gone straight for the end stuff first.

So I'm eyeing the 480$ tablet and maybe the 3 year extended warranty and extra pen stuff kit but more or less just waiting on feedback.

So to reiterate, is bigger more or less better if money isn't an issue or is it a real possibility it'll become more awkward and uncomfortable if I end up getting something too big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I got the Large tablet (840 model) my god its huge, almost didn't fit on my desk, but I got it for like 200$ off thanks to some clever price matching so I'm happy.

This has probably already been asked if so apologies, which program is best for sketches and drawings? Illustrator? Photoshop? Or some other one? My aim is drawing manga.

Edit: Ah crud, I have a dual monitor setup how do I get the tablet to only use one of them?

edit2: fixed.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 16, 2011

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My tablet appears to have come with a software bundle of Corel® Painter™ Sketch Pad, Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 8 (anyone know the differences with actual photoshop?), and Autodesk® SketchBook® Express 2010, thus far I'm loving Autodesk.

As for illustrator I think I recall trying it once before on my older computer when I was trying it out as a more professional and non-crashy alternative to Inkscape.

However after a few hours gave up on it feeling that Inkscape was far superior and more use friendly (and possesses considerably more keyboard shortcuts).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
MangaStudio I think is winning my little race for best drawing program for my usages.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Andrigaar posted:

Dave Gibbons of Watchmen likes it too. Care to elaborate why? I'm rather curious.

It has everything!

http://i51.tinypic.com/zlak3b.jpg

Tones! I no longer need to worry about wasting my precious precious nibs!

Looking through all the options its like "Everything I could ever need to use for making a manga is right here...."

Although for actually drawing, sketchbook pro had a better feel but was feature and user friendliness lacking.

The difference between MS and PS is that with Photoshop it's a program that I've never used before and wouldn't know where to begin to use its features and then translate those features to something relevent to drawing a manga.

With MS it skips that step, now its I don't know how to use all of its features but at least I know its directly for drawing manga and thus don't need that translation so to speak.

That and I ordered "Manga Studio For Dummies" for like 10$ which is basically a Studio Tutorial and a Manga Tutorial in One basically.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cubemario posted:

Good to hear it's working out for you. Sketchbook Pro is able to do some impressive things if you really get to know the software and start making custom brushes. I agree that it's feature lacking, it doesn't bother me because PS is able to compensate for any of it's shortcomings. It sure helps that they're cross compatible as well. As far as user friendliness goes, I agree it certainly could use improvement in this area and hopefully the next version will address this. The biggest problem I have with it is a glitch with the crosshair and the brush where they are misaligned when I have scroll bars enabled. I really hope Autodesk sends a patch to fix this.

Photoshop certainly has a learning curve. It's not hard to learn, but it does take a []while[/] to learn and even more time to know how to make it's tools do what you want in a piece. If you ever become more serious with your hobby you'll probably find yourself getting this at some point, it's an excellent fallback to have even when it's not your main software. I say that because if something goes wrong or you need to do something really specific, PS is capable of fixing the problem or giving you that specific need.

MS sounds like it's good and I hope to see some cool stuff from you!

Aye thanks, big thing holding me back right now is that it appears that drawing straight smooth lines or curves is actually a whole lot harder then I remembered, it seems to naturally 'wobble' on me and different postures/pen grip, I don't think it is a stress or nervousness issue, I just haven't had a history of drawing really.

The alternative is to use shape tools which I'm told it may take months or years to learn the muscle memory to get as good as anyways so might as well, just that I'm having trouble in any of the programs figuring out how to 'adjust' it so that say instead of a straight line I can grab at it and make it a curve, still trying to figure that out, I can do that in inkscape just fine but inkscape doesnt like to smoothly work with the tablet, very jerky.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2cxdow1.jpg

Example of my issue above, top left area is using the shape tools for contrast.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Manga Studio for Dummies finally arrived! *Puts on sunglasses*

Yeah!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Mt wacom drivers got exterminated by... I dont know what... So after I reinstalled them none of my pen tools are working right as they used to :(

Seems like pen width got reset but since this is in Manga Studio I cant even begin to figure out when or why or even how it happened, argh.

edit: yup stuff aint working right anymore, my pen sometimes doesnt register when it first touches the screen so the first mm or so I draw doesnt show up.

edit2: ok, closing and reopening fixed it! And there was much rejoicing.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 7, 2011

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
1-2 month sitrep: Loving my tablet, I figured out how to adjust the detectable surface of it for when I want a smaller surface area, doesn't seem to have preset settings though for switching to smaller models :(

Manga Studio keeps popping out more and more features; I'm always like "Man, it would save me alot of work is MS could do this..." *Looks it up in MS for Dummies* "Oh, there it is!"

My only drawback is MangaStudio is bad for coloring but thats a non-issue for me until much later.

On a side note, my mannequins have arrived, these 6 inch little figurines you can set into different poses, they were like 70 cents each from the arts wholesaler; they are like 50$ in specialty stores, weird huh?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sigma 6 posted:

Yeah - I am really curious about this too.

It's a loew-cornell 8 inch mannequin, and the site is Here

Oh, I found a picture through some googling: Here

Only one catch though, they only sell to other companies you need to make like 500$ worth of purchases at a time and like 10,000$ a year (my mom has her own arts and crafts Ceramics business/boutique which is why she was able to order them for me, we had to buy 6 of them at a time).

Someone send me a list of typically expensive art supplies like paint and I'll take a look at what the price difference is, maybe might be onto something here that could be helpful.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Andrigaar posted:

You should all be advised that most art teachers hate those things and think they exist to rip off students mostly.

The prime reasons being that the joints are have no real movement because there are no muscles to contract, and they only come in two generic gender-based body types.

What would a better brand be that I could look into, I'm also feeling a little annoyed with the lack of movement.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Andrigaar posted:

There isn't one. This is the point in an art class where the teacher pulls out their soap box and tells you to take figure/life drawing classes as often as possible.

Hmm, art class. I wonder how much a course would cost in my university this spring. I'll have to investigate.

Ideally though I'ld want someone to look over my shoulder and point out the glaringly obvious errors I'm committing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Something people may be interested in knowing, the text displayed on the Wacom also changes language based on your keyboard settings.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

waffledoodle posted:

Do you have a widescreen monitor? Do you have two monitors? If your tablet is a 4:3 (they sell widescreen tablets too), and you have a widescreen monitor, your 4:3 tablet surface is being mapped to a 16:9 area (32:9 if you have dual widescreens), so the circle you draw on the tablet will come out like an oval on the monitor. There are options to map only a portion of the tablet surface, or to constrain it to only one monitor, which helps a little bit.

The good news is that if you just practice a lot with the tablet, whenever you pick up a real pencil and try to sketch something, you will feel like it is the most accurate precision instrument you have ever held. My real-world drawings improved ten fold after my first year of lopsided circles on dual widescreens.

True story, I'm getting a little bit of this affect myself (although not in a way I can apply outside a few situations thus far).

My theory is that the wacom is just so darn precise that even with auto adjust cranked up every error is magnified in your vision; and as artists we're naturally perfectionists so its mind boggling.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hoooooooly poo poo I just discovered something.

The penholder paper weight thing that came with my wacom? It has NIBS in it!! It comes with like 12 nibs.

Woah. It doesn't say this on the box! Wow. Awesome! :D

:greatgift:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I _really_ want a Cinteq nowadays.

I've been mostly been fooling around with MangaStudio 4.0 for a while now and thinking of trying out Photoshop, I have CS3 Extended edition, looking at the FredArt faq I noticed the guy apparently has his own custom pencil settings, anyone know what those settings are and how to input them into PS? (As seen here) Thanks!

Also is there a way to set up a display for safe/work area? MS has this on by default.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

quote:

Brush settings are accessed through the brush window or F5 pulls it up.

Yeah I got to this point I'm just lost at how to get the settings to his thickness/hardness/color(?) settings as the interface is fairly alien to me.

I wonder if there's any cheap way to get a Cintiq. Used? Ebay?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Any of those tablet PC's any good as a economical/low budget alternative to a Cintiq?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I already have a fairly future proof gaming desktop; I'm debating a tablet PC for school reasons/notetaking/sketching. Though I see that the 12" Cintiq is affordable at 999$, though that would exclude from me getting a decent school laptop.

Anyone used the 12" cintiq, is it good for like manga/webcomic/line art/sketching?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arthe Xavier posted:

I have had an Intuos 3 for some years now ( I bought it when it was brand new ), and have been very pleased with it. But now I have a problem - my current pen-nib has worn out pretty bad, and I have lost my replacement nibs. Can you order nibs, or do you have to buy a new pen altogether? They're pretty expensive, I hear. :(

What I found funny is that I went through the effort to order nibs, without realizing that the wacom pen holder actually has like 20 nibs inside it.

My mind was blown.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Picked up a 12" cintiq, it's working wonderfully. Had to use Piro's Wacom settings for it to have the proper sensitivity though, its default settings after calibration had like a 1 second delay between the stroke and it showing up on the screen for reasons I cannot understand (Why couldn't the default settings lack this delay properly?).

Embarrassingly it didn't occur to me that this would use a DVI slot from my video card so I lost the use of my secondary monitor until my DVI Miniport display adapter could arrive.

Interesting observation while having a screensaving/having the screen poweroff after ~15 minutes of use is great for when I wander off and forget about it to save on my backlight lifespan I have the issue of where:

What if suppose I have the wacom on and using it, but then I get distracted by stuff on my main monitor and swap my attention to it, I have a one track mind so I forget about my centiq. Now I'm doing stuff on my main monitor, so my screensaver never kicks in, but my cintiq is still on.

Right now I'm being cautious and whenever I notice I'm leaving it alone for 5 minutes I turn it off but is there a way to have a selective screensaver for it or should I find a .gif animation and just place it fullscreen over it and tab to it whenever I look at my main monitor?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It'll be a long while before I can worry about discolouration as I know nothing about colour theory and just sorta wanna make a webcomic with it but I will this much: They were lying liars who lied when they said this was portable :D Its a verfiable maze of cables thats going to be a pain to move around and setup.

I'm liking my large degree of flexibility with setting up its backstand thing, as I slouch alot in my chair so I can easily adjust it.

Now I only need to do is learn photoshop; I've determined that MangaStudio has some oddities about it that I dislike, in PS when I zoom in the quality of the stroke stays the same, but when I do the same in mangastudio it gets all broken up and fragmented, this bothers me so I end up wasting time fixing it. Anyone got skype who can help a bit with PS?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Killbot posted:

I just put down $1800 on a used Cintiq 21UX. The seller claims it's in mint condition and that she has only used it once. I hope she's right. :ohdear:

Seems like a decent deal compared to Canadian prices, as high as 3000$ on Canadian ebay, 2000$ (or was it 2500?) at NCIX? Not like you need to find American friends to help you import it because they don't ship to Canada from US ebay. In the end I opted for 80$ off from NCIX wholesaler.

quote:

I wish I had the disposable income to buy a Cintiq and only use it once.

"Welp guess I'm not an artist after all time to sell this for a significant loss"

*Shuffles uncomfortably regarding his Intous4* :p

Still enjoying the Cintiq, friend went and got the 21" model as well, says itll take 2-3 months though to delivery dear god. Seems setting up the right pen tools is half the battle.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So potentially silly question but when I'm drawing in photoshop with my cintiq it seems that if I draw too fast I get this atrociously ugly thick black line that appears out of no where where I'm drawing. Anyone know what setting to fix this?

On a related note I finally figured out how to broadcast my work live on Justintv as I draw, it's great for getting in real time pointers from people as it lets me conveniently adjust for their advice.

On a side note I need to invest in a mirror so I can see my hands in perspective.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
http://www.justin.tv/raenirsalazar/b/293979155

At 44:30 to 44:40 it happens, that's just one instance, it kept happening like every 5 or so strokes on average. It seemed to be a bit worse while broadcasting due to some lagginess making me press harder/draw faster

Side note, you might want to mute it due to my music probably being terrible for most people :ohdear: (Also warning, first 20 minutes or so there's periods where I hadn't realized my microphone was unmuted so loud fan noises ensue, so just skip that)

On a side note, I would love it if anyone was willing to watch me draw and give me pointers, anyone got spare time in the near future? I'm just not sure how best to organize this. During that video people in chat were helping me with the hands giving me advice.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For me looking at the wacom enabled fujitsu's I found it next to impossible to really justify them, in the end I went for the 1000$ cintiq expecting an equally pricey new latop and just use them together. I get a great gaming laptop, with the ability to sketch.

Had to order a HDMI/DVI converter thing with the laptop though. Should arrive in a few days.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm told the fujitsu tablet pc's are wacom enabled and good for sketching, but I determined that getting the 12UX cintiq with a gaming laptop was better.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Completed my first foray last friday in using my cintiq to take notes in math class :eng101: (in photoshop :eng99: as I havent figured out how to use OneNote yet).

It worked reasonably well, accidentally deleted a page of notes :(

As it turns out I totally didn't actually need to purchase and bring, and set up an extension cord from my cintiq to the wall socket. Seems there was one under my desk that I didn't realize was there the week before. :eng99:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

cocoavalley posted:

That must have been quite a show! I use a 12wx, and between the control box, the display cables, the usb cable and the power adapter, (plus I'm assuming you hooked it up to a laptop with it's own power adapter and peripherals), it seems like a huge production for taking notes in class... but it sounds like you found it worked out rather well?

It was fun :D

But yeah, totally not portable AND I needed an adopter for DVI-HDMI to use it for my laptop....

Works pretty well. Saves on paper!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
SAI is a free paint program that originates in Japan I believe.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For future reference do ituous4 pens work with a cintiq?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have the 12 inch.... but i ordered a new cintiq pen anyways to be safe.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

punchdaily posted:

SAI isn't free. But for 60 dollars you could do a whole lot worse. I tried to buy it, but they didn't accept my paypal for whatever reason. Open Canvas 1.1 or 1.2 IS free though, and that lends itself to a pretty good line quality.

I coulda swore there was a free version availiable.

If I already have PS, no point moving to it though?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
After much faffing about I am back to using my Cintiq and making much progress, I'll post stuff once its closer to completion. In the meantime does anyone know how the crap in photoshop how to make comic book panels including irregular shapes like parallalagrams? And when using the shape tool is there a way to make an "empty" shape, so lines but no background to them?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sigma-X posted:

In the shape tool you have three buttons in the top left - a box with points, a box with the pen, and a box. These are the different types of shapes - Shape Layers, Paths, and Pixels. The easiest/best solution imho is to use the paths version, as this will let you draw a bunch of paths which can be edited and combined with the pen tool, and then stroked over with any brush in the paths palette (select your desired brush, and with the paint tool active, click the button second from the left at the bottom of the paths tool, it looks like an open circle).

Having done more research I don't see much of a reason not to purchase a 21/24" Cintiq, and the issues with 24s not being as mobile is largely moot for me, so I'm going to be pulling the trigger on one tomorrow! Totally stoked, although now I need to get a new computer desk since my current one too small for my (proposed) dual head setup.

Mobility! Ha! I have the 12UX cintiq and thing is only barely mobile because of all dem' wires. If you absolutely have to be mobile (which I think you don't) then then the 12UX is fine, but if you can go bigger go bigger; I've had problems with bigger wacom tablets (like odd hand eye coordination) that I don't worry about with the Cintiq.

Make sure to price shop though, using NCIX (Canadian distributor) I would've been able to save like a few hundred dollars on the 24" had I been able to afford it.

Quick question, I love my cintiq, so I am looking to sell my large wacom intous4, I paid I think 550$ (Canadian) for it, how much barely used should it go for?

Thanks Neon and Sigma.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

neonnoodle posted:

I maked a Youtube about it

Great video by the way, thanks again. Its like there are some things I like about Mangastudio, but honestly if I can do all of it just as well on Photoshop I'll prefer Photoshop.

Dunno why by MS seems to have some aliasing problems (lines aren't very smooth) when drawing but its hard to describe.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does photoshop have some sort of equivalent means to have the auto smoothing when drawing lines/curves like in MangaStudio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyone else using their cintiq for math homework?

Think of all the graph paper I save long term. :smug:

For a short time I brought it to class to take notes but drat, that was a 30 minute investment of arriving early to set up while being extremely heavy with the 12" cintiq I have. NOT PORTABLE AT ALL. Wires the eye can see.