Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

The rep just left. He said there MAY be a 15 inch Cintiq in the future. He acknowledged the problems with the breakout box in the 12WX version. Specifically, having a breakout box is stupid. I pointed out it was even more stupid to have a separate box with no additional DVI splitter.

I gotta say: The new 21 inch Cintiq is amazing. I really like the strips on the back now. Used to always brush across those strips accidently and by having them on the back, it really fixes that.
More buttons and greater sensitivity, really make it amazing.

I wish I would have seen this earlier. The 12WX has been out for two or three years, so there's a chance that it's going to get a redesign to be more like an Intuos4 than 3 fairly soon. I'm using the 12WX at work and think it's fantastic, but it does have a pretty large dead zone in the corners and edges. I think it's worth the thousand dollars it costs, but wish it were more worth the thousand dollars it costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Wood Warder posted:

Any tips for somebody who is absolutely terrible with a Wacom? I have moderately okay skills on paper but as soon as I try and use my old Graphire it looks like I had a stroke.

I'll third using SAI, but also suggest not using your mouse for anything for a while. Just use your tablet for everything. Browsing the internet, playing games, whatever. It'll force you to figure out where the pen is in relation to the screen and force your brain to accept the disconnect easier.

I had a Graphire at one point that I was so fed up with that I sold it to a teacher in college for dirt cheap. Some time later, someone suggested that to me, and it made everything fall into place.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

SAI is a free paint program that originates in Japan I believe.

SAI isn't free. But for 60 dollars you could do a whole lot worse. I tried to buy it, but they didn't accept my paypal for whatever reason. Open Canvas 1.1 or 1.2 IS free though, and that lends itself to a pretty good line quality.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Star Man posted:

I'm going to be in the money for a new Wacom tablet soon and I'm looking at upgrading from my Graphire4 to an Intuos. Has the Intuos4 tablet improved at all or is the Intuos3 still the place to be?

They apparently released a revision to the Intuos4 that has a slightly softer surface. That said, my partner has a 4 and I have a 3, and in my experience they're both pretty nice. The 4 has more hotkeys, and it has a disc instead of the slide pad, which is nice, since the slide pad is a little on the touchy side. Just get whatever's cheapest and closest to the size you want.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Skogul posted:

Hi everyone, has anyone tried out a Yiynova tablet monitor?

Recently I've been researching bigger drawing tablets for a friend and this review really puts the yiynova in a positive light but it'd be great to hear if anyone's actually had any hands-on experience. That price is definitely something that is making me lean towards it over another cintiq.

Edit: Reading back a little I saw Bored talking about it a little bit but if anyone else has (Kneon?) tried it that's also appreciated.

I have a Yiynova MSP19 and used to work on a Cintiq 12WX. I can tell you that the Yiynova is easily head and shoulders above it. I've been using it for close to six months now, so I'm using the one with bad drivers. Even then I still prefer it over the Cintiq, even though it doesn't have any hotkeys. The Cintiqs run warm color-wise, it worsens significantly as they get older. They also run much hotter than the Yiynova. The MSP19 has really thick, sturdy glass. This creates a bit of a disconnect between the pen and monitor but you get over it in maybe a day. The pen is also a little heavier, as it's battery powered. I've only had to replace the battery once, and I work about 4-12 hours a day on it, so it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Is it better than the bigger models of Cintiq? Probably not. But it's not 4 times worse, and that's the difference in cost.
If it's going to be connected to a Mac the MSP19U seems to be an absolute necessity. I have a PC and the MSP19 works wonderfully for me. It's also surprisingly sturdy. Frenden also says their support is amazing, but I've never had any issues with mine so I haven't been able to take advantage of it.