Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I like my Huion h610pro but admittedly I have to deal with a lot more driver hassle than a Wacom tablet gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
okay literally hours after I recommend the h610pro it decides to bite me in the rear end- I got shoved into windows 10 and now my pressure sensitivity is broken. Anyone with this tablet have it working fine on windows 10? I need to make a decision on whether to faff around for 5 hours trying to sort out the drivers or just wallow in my despair until I can buy an intuos or whatever.

this happened with my monoprice last year when windows 8.1 got forced on me too so much as I love them for the price this might be my last affair with Chinese tablets.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I got my Huion H610 Pro working on Windows 10, by actually installing the right drivers from their website rather than the 2 year old ones on the disc (:doh:), so I'm gonna go back to recommending it if you don't wanna splurge. It's a knockoff Intuos, aesthetically and functionally, but like a third of the price. The big differences are 1. the pen needs batteries, 2. has no tilt or eraser on its butt end, and 3. the drivers are a pain, but to be fair the first two haven't bothered me at all (plus you can buy replacement pens a whole lot cheaper than what Wacom offers) and the drivers worked flawlessly for me for more than a year until I had to upgrade to Windows 10- it's their instillation that's a pain.

It doesn't feel quite as slick as a Wacom tablet (although when I was reading this thread a few pages back people mentioned newer Intuos have problems with the micro-USB port too? that's concerning) and I have been slowly convincing myself I want an Intuos, but for the price the H610 is really good- way better than my old Bamboo.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh right I totally forgot Wacom changed up their branding, I still think of Intuos as the midrange models. The H610 Pro is like a knockoff Intuos Pro. It has way better pressure sensitivity than lower end tablets like Bamboos offer(ed).

The FAQ is right, I shoulda put that better, it's rechargeable not battery-operated. It doesn't have a slot in the tablet to recharge it though, it's just a USB cable you have to plug into the computer.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
yet another reason Clip Studio is superior for drawing :toot:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
it also gets you some sick anime classrooms and schoolgirls to pose

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Did you get a new mouse, plus in a new tablet, something like that? I dunno about wacom but my huion/monoprice tablet drivers get extremely finnicky, to the point when I first got it I had to do a clean reinstall of my entire system to purge conflicting software.

Incidentally, does anyone have an idea when the next Intuos might come out? For the aforementioned driver reasons I'd like to have the stability of a Wacom, but from what I hear the current Intuos Pro is pretty mixed? I've especially heard bad things about the micro-USB port, which is a huge concern for me since that's another issue I"m having with my current Huion H610 Pro and I don't wanna find myself with the same issue.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
How does it work? Do you have to use Apple stuff to draw on or can you hook it up to a computer and use it just like a regular tablet?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Ah that's a shame, and that it won't work with windows too.

I'm hoping Wacom will feel the pressure from this and the cheaper competition they have these days and roll out some serious improvements in the next generation.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That's exactly what I use, it works just fine for me. Well, sort of- the cable for my H610 pro is pretty loose these days, so I have to take the plug out and plug it in again (and so restart CSP as well) whenever I bump it by mistake, but that's hardly a problem with CSP.

I've had some big issues with Photoshop though, to the point I stopped using it entirely when I can help it. Pressure sensitivity just doesn't function a good 90% of the time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, curious about that beyond Cintiqs actually. What tablet does have good longevity?

I've been wanting to upgrade from my Huion H610 pro for a while now; I like it, but mine's a couple of years old now and the micro USB cable's port is playing up these days. But then from what I've heard, the current Intuos Pro has the same exact issue.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
You don't use the extra space for references and poo poo? I very rarely draw fullscreen.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I had the ~$55 monoprice that worked great until I had to upgrade to windows 8.1. No clue if they've fixed the drivers for it at this point but it was a bit of a headache back then. Huion h610 pro is what I have now and works great (but is a little bit more expensive) excepting micro-USB issues that seem to be endemic to all modern tablets. Those probably aren't an issue unless you use the thing constantly though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Huion drivers can be pretty funky, like I've had to do clean reinstalls of my whole computer, methodically installing the drivers in the right order and so on to get them to work right; I wouldn't be surprised if your tablet is salvageable if you do some more fiddling, or that you'll find yourself running into the same issues even if you exchange it.

if you're sure though, can confirm my Huion H610 pro works fine on windows 10 with a dual monitor setup.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It depends on your priorities- ease of use or higher quality. A <$100 Monoprice or Huion tablet can get you a drawing surface equivalent to a $350 Wacom Intuos Pro, but Wacom pens don't need recharging, the drivers are way better, the tablets are built to a higher standard, most brush sets are made with Wacom in mind, art programs optimized for Wacom, and beyond the entry level you get extra functionality like tilt and so on too.

I switched from an $80 Wacom bamboo to a $50 Monoprice and the Monoprice was yonks better, it was like night and day. And then Windows 8.1 came out and the drivers totally broke and I couldn't use it anymore. Now I have a Huion H610 Pro, which I like a lot, but has caused me no shortage of trouble over the past couple of years. It's a much better tablet than what I could get from Wacom for anything close to the same price, but at this point I'm eyeing up Intuos Pros anyway just so there's less hassle.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Not totally sure if this is what you mean, but you can configure the size relative to the monitor and a whole bunch of other things in the driver options.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I haven't (although they could be really good for all I know) but you might wanna look at Yiynova ones too, I've heard good things about those ones.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anyone tried the intuos paper editions? Is that clip at the top removable, so you can flip it to the other side? I'm left handed so I have my tablet in reverse.

Also how well does it actually work. This:

quote:

You don’t need to be connected to a computer or the Internet; it’ll store up to 200 sketches, ready for you to sync to your computer (in raster or vector formats) using the Wacom Inkspace app.

sounds like it could be pretty nice; anyone tried Inkspace? Is the format convertable to .psd? Also is the thing actually sturdy enough for me to feel like I won't break it by carrying it around everywhere?

edit: for that matter, have any of you using newer Wacom tablets been dealing with driver issues? I've been seeing it mentioned a lot in the reviews which is pretty concerning. What midrange tablet is actually worth getting these days :sigh:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 7, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

bitmap posted:

drawing from the shoulder or elbow is a terribly good practice but requires a bigger canvas

on this note, I'd strongly recommend a second monitor to put references on so you can utilize your whole main screen (and tablet) for the art program, rather than only ever drawing on one tiny corner of it like i did for way way too long.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Stupid question, but I've never even thought about financing for electronics stuff before (also I am young and dumb), but now I'm noticing they have a financing option for the Cintiqs on the Wacom store- normally I just considered them out of my price range and left it at that, but now I saw this I'm starting to get tempted. Is this something I should consider? Any of you tried it?

For that matter, how are the Cintiq Pros? I'll do a readover of the past few pages of this thread tomorrow assuming I haven't realized this is a stupid idea, I suppose, I never really absorbed what people were saying about them.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 31, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Which model did you guys get? [url= https://www.amazon.com/LX-Desk-Mount-LCD-Arm/dp/B00358RIRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494340173&sr=8-1&keywords=ergotron+lx+arm]this one? [/url]

It can articulate to hold a cintiq well? I've heard the new cintiq pros are way thinner, it'll still be able to accommodate them do you guys think?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
i don't think their pens are compatible with non-wacom tablets

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Huh, fair enough. Wacom has gotten a bit worse lately but it should still work (although their customer support has always been awful). If the nib isn't registering at all it's gonna be a driver issue though most likely; see if you can disable the drivers for the default pen? There'll often be a conflict if they're both running at once, although it can be a pain in the rear end to remove tablet drivers.

also I noticed this:

quote:

The stylus is preset for the Wacom AES protocol. If you’re using a device with Microsoft Pen Protocol (MPP), simply press and hold both side buttons for two seconds for switching.

which I'm guessing you already knew about, but just in case.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
For budget options, depending on how sturdy you need it to be, the Huion H610 Pro is a better tablet but can be a bit more finicky (I was having issues with the USB cord on mine for a while, although now I have it set in a place where it never moves it's been fine), whereas the cheaper Wacom options like this one are gonna be a bit more portable and easier to set up (plus Wacom stuff like pens that don't need recharging) but not as good for drawing functionality (although still probably more than fine for drawing maps and stuff).

Keep in mind that, whatever tablet you go with, it's gonna feel weird for a while until you get used to drawing on it, so don't get discouraged by that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I just found out about this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CFC3RG, a new Huion tablet. Anyone seen any opinions on it/ tried it themselves?

I've been wrestling with whether I wanna get a Cintiq or Intuos for a while, but the response towards the new Cintiqs seems to be tepid at best (intuoses too for that matter), plus with all the stuff from non-Wacom brands coming out these days I figure it pays to wait a bit. And spending $350 on an Intuos pro and then finding out a genuinely good screen tablet comes out just afterwards would kinda suck.

I've had mostly really good experiences with my Huion stuff (and this is wireless too, which would solve one of my only major problems with them, assuming the wireless functions well) so this seems like a good cheap option while I wait for something people actually start raving about to come out from one of the non-budget brands. If someone's tried it and it's crap though I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask here; otherwise I can be the thread guinea pig on this one.

e: hmm actually hearing some mixed things now I'm digging into it a bit

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 25, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I know everyone raves about the iPad Pro as a drawing tool, but how is it for other stuff? I've been thinking about getting it + one of those keyboard cases instead of a laptop, any thoughts?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 8, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Follow up to my iPad Pro question (thanks for the responses by the way), anyone used Astropad (or something similar), for using it as a tablet on a Mac? How well does it work?

Due to unexpected circumstances, I may be in the market to receive a stupidly expensive laptop, so I'm wondering about getting a MacBook Pro too and using them together like that. I vaguely recall some mixed responses to Astropad in this thread a couple of years back, but I might be misremembering/ hopefully the thing's improved in the interim.

Also, any thoughts on carrying a MacBook Pro and an iPad Pro around everywhere at the same time? It looks like it's like 6lb, is this a stupid idea? Will I lose a lot by getting the smaller model of iPad? I should probably go to an Apple store to figure some of this stuff out myself, but if anyone has experience with this I'm really curious.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I switched from the Huion H610 pro to the new line of Wacom Intuos pro (which I'm pretty sure is what you're talking about?) a few months ago and... eh. It is definitely better but probably not 500% like the price difference would imply. Other than the tilt (which I mostly barely even notice, although that could mean I'm using it wrong) the big upgrade is the rougher texture, which does feel great to draw on, but mostly when your nibs haven't been worn down to a flat edge, which it will do to them absurdly quickly compared to a normal tablet surface. Plus the nibs are a new proprietary type that happen to be way more expensive than the old type.

Also I wouldn't say the pressure sensitivity difference isn't noticeable, but 2000 to 8000 is less of a leap than 1000 to 2000 was for me. I can get more detail in slightly more easily and it feels a bit smoother, but I don't think it makes or breaks the tablet by itself.

The Intuos pro is the better tablet in lots of fairly appreciable ways, but the H610 pro is more than good enough, and if the price is a big concern like you're saying I'd say it should be your pick. Unless you really love tilt; I should probably figure out what I'm doing wrong on that.

fake edit: well maybe not the H610 pro, I bought that like 3 years ago so there might be other better non-Wacom picks at this point. I can attest the H610 pro works fine on modern hardware and is a good tablet though.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 27, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anyone got the $30 case for the Apple Pencil? How durable is the pencil by itself?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Mne nravitsya posted:

Also, to prevent dealing with charging the pen awkwardly, or running out of ipad battery 5 hours into a flight, I picked up a Mophie USB-C XXL. It has 3 USB inputs and will charge an ipad pro (or give it an additional 20 hours of life) i also use it to charge the pen, blue tooth headphones, ect. It’s 19,500 mAh

You mention 3 USB inputs, so it's this $80 one right? I ask since the Apple store is advertising a a different one by the same brand that's $150, but with the same amount of charge and actually less inputs for cables? Is there actually something better about it or is this just the Apple tax?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It might suck at first, but they will like drawing on a tablet if they stick with it. Especially for someone that just does pencil drawings (aka me in highschool), it lets you do the same thing but better, since there's even less to worry about when you mess up, which is already one of the main appeals of pencils.

I haven't got one yet (but I hopefully will in a few weeks!) but I'm pretty certain for raw drawing the iPad Pro is better than anything- it'll absolutely clown any Huion or the like, and by most accounts I've read is better than even a top-end Wacom Cintiq (their best tablets, or at least most expensive), although it has limitations in what you can do with it (less illustration program options) compared to a traditional tablet, since it's iOS. That said, remember that you have to stick an extra $100 even onto the ~$690, since the Apple Pencil doesn't come included with it.

If that price rules it out, my recommendation'd be the Huion H610 Pro. Or maybe there's a newer one out by now (it's a few years old), but that one is still good and works and is in approximate ways (especially for a beginner) comparable to the $350 Wacom Intuos Pro. If you wanna splurge a bit and not give them a $70 tablet when they were expecting a $700 iPad Pro then the Intuos Pro line (the cheapest option is $250) is better in a number of appreciable ways, but the H610 Pro is still a good tablet and markedly better than Wacom's cheapest offerings.

Also, get them Clip Studio.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 8, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh I meant Clip Studio for PC.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The smallest model Intuos Pro is still the old one from before they added the new texture surface/pen if that's a big concern.

On the newer ones the texture hasn't been changed, but you can buy a smoother surface to change it out with from the Wacom store if you need to. It's really only sorta awful though... for actually drawing on, it's really fantastic; the issue is it wears the nibs out stupidly quickly. Like, I wore the nib out in a day's use to the amount that took me like a month or two on my Huion before that. Now I've adjusted a bit and don't press as hard it's not so extreme, but you will burn through nibs faster and they're a new more expensive type too so that's fun.

I can definitely see the concern (especially for I presume someone who's a teenager who won't be able to replace them thoughtlessly) but even though it sounds awful compared to old tablets, if you think about it vs the price of buying actual physical art pencils it's still super cheap. And the new texture genuinely is really nice to draw on.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
+yet another to the iPad pro in this thread. I will say I'm not so hot on Procreate though; the brushes are great, but I felt like they went way too hard on sleekness over usability. Having to go through a couple of submenus every time I want to access the layers and change brushes and so on got really tiresome, although tbf I have a very digitally-reliant workflow so I can see how that's not an issue for people that don't interact with that stuff as often as I do.

Clip Studio absolutely owns on it though, it's the total opposite of Procreate in the UI regard; it's almost literally just the PC interface, so you can have as much of it there as you want and customize it to your heart's content and so on. Might not work as well with the smaller tablet though, seconding that I'd recommend getting the big one.

disclaimer for Clip Studio, importing all my brushes was a huge pain in the rear end. But after a few hours of tedium that was done and it's been almost literally perfect ever since.

edit: also I dunno if this is a consideration for you, but mockable as the ad campaign was it has been pretty good as a substitute laptop as long as you don't need to do any hardcore computer things. The smart keyboard is actually pretty good, although for some reason it stops recognizing it every time I have to connect to new wifi for the first time so I have to reboot it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 2, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, they made up for having the most aggressively reasonable prices out of any PC art software by gouging us on the tablet version now that they have a major userbase. I really would recommend it though, plus you get the first six months free so you can check it out for yourself for a while first.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
They extended it so the trial's available whenever now; I activated mine in late January.

I haven't had the issue with it draining battery even on standby but it is pretty power hungry yeah.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The smart keyboard doesn't work unless it's connected in the sorta laptop-style mode, which'd be pretty uncomfortable to draw on while using. You can use some gestures (tap with two fingers to undo, three to redo etc, or rebind them) for hotkey functionality but that is one of the main ways it's significantly limited compared to the desktop version in my opinion. I dunno what tab collapse is but if that's especially important to you and it's in the settings menu on the desktop version I imagine you can use one of the gesture slots for it. Just make sure you disable the drawing with your finger thing so you can use that slot for something else; I have no clue why it's on by default (I guess for people using Clip Studio without the Apple pencil for some reason??)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I just tried mine out for half an hour with bluetooth, it's completely fine and I wouldn't have any issues using it like this permanently. There's a tiny bit more lag than when it's wired but after a couple of minutes I stopped noticing, and I'd only ever been using it wired before that too. Connectivity wasn't a problem , and the tablet itself also held 100% charge for that time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I dunno if technically USB-c and USB-a are more compatible than getting a USB to thunderbolt cable or some poo poo but it's pretty obvious they mean Apple ditched the standard port that 90% of everyone's devices for the past 2 decades have been using, you goobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
This has been bothering me for a while and it just occurred to me I could just ask some other opinions. How many different brushes do you guys normally use? Because I've got like 300 or something from brush sets, many of which I purchased with genuine money, but when I'm actually drawing seriously, 95% of the time I just fall back on the most basic of all round ones and a couple that are essentially slight variations on the same thing. I love that brush and it's super versatile and it's not like I can't do what I need to do with it, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing out. Do you guys have a way different approach?

Corollary, every now and then I do try to branch out but tend to feel uncomfortable with other stuff, and one of my things is that I still haven't settled on THE RIGHT pressure curve; I tweak it constantly, and some days it feels just right but other days it doesn't at all. Right now in Clip Studio it's like this:

Do you guys change yours a lot, or have something really different? The main thing I find is if I'm trying to do lineart (which used to be my staple but definitely isn't now) I need a different one than when I'm painting. I definitely ran into the same issue on iPad though and my old tablet so I know it's not just faulty tablet drivers or something. I'm doing a reinstall of my computer in a few weeks (for unrelated reasons) so I figure I'll start settings from the ground up to see if I can get more comfortable but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask. Also I illustrate professionally (albeit sometimes maybe I shouldn't be) so I'm pretty sure it's not that I'm just like, crap, or something.

somewhat relatedly, what internet places do you guys go to for art discussions these days? much as I love our fair SA, the art talks are not as alive here as they once were so I feel like I miss a lot of stuff