Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got a wacom Intuos today and I've started futzing around with Krita doing some doodles. I'm still working out the kinks and training my brain to look at the screen and not the pad. Are there any good tutorial videos people would recommend for setting up layers and brush selection and so forth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm a lefty and I have a Wacom Intuos Medium. I'm still trying to make the hand-eye connection to see what I'm doing on my monitor but it's taking time. I'm more struggling with the stylus since it is small in my hands and I keep accidentally hitting the side buttons with my fingers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So follow up question. My cousin does product designs for work and she does all her drawing and edits on an IPad with drawing and drafting software. Has anyone used any of those apps how are they and how would an Ipad compare to a dedicated drawing tablet? I'm visiting my cousins for supper later today so I'm gonna ask her as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

iPad Pro + Procreate and/or Adobe Fresco or other art programs have been a very common combo for digital artists for the past few years. Some use it as their preferred mobile setup when away from their desk, and some use it as their primary way of producing art in general, only using their desktop for final art prep.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube from digital artists who go over the pros and cons of using an iPad as their primary drawing device. The biggest con (assuming you're fine operating within the Apple ecosystem) is going to be how poorly the pricing scales for storage size.

I've found Brad Colbow's YouTube channel to be a good resource, as he focuses mostly on tablets and mobile art software from the perspective of an illustrator.

I guess i can see pros and cons for it compared to using a Wacom. A Cintiq and an Ipad are at comparable prices unless you can find a deal, though the iPad is portable and had more functionality outside of its role as a drawing tablet. But you've also got storage and battery considerations.

I'll check out that Brad Colbrow channel, thanks. Digital illustration is something I really want to get into further and finding the best tools to fit what I want to do is important. Need to find what clicks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tried practicing some more with my current tablet. Definitely considering a portable option instead just so I can turn it like a sheet of paper rather than pressing Shift+Spacebar and drag. My wrist hurts. Zooming in and out, working out all the functions and keybinds is a lot to take in at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I went into an Apple Store today and one of the staff members let me mess around with an iPad and Procreate for a bit. Apparently they also have a digital art showcase session on Thursdays for people to try before they buy using the tablets. I will say that it felt very natural in my hands. It does seem like a better option for me than a non-screen tablet, it's just clicking faster for me.

I'm still looking at other portable tablet options before I make a decision but it does feel nice.