Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hello friends!
I got into drawing properly a few years ago and just a few weeks ago, I got my very first drawing tablet ever!
A Huion Slate 10, I had a Kamvas 13 before, but it was a bit too big for my needs, and I rather have a standalone solution - I want to draw while outside and be flexible with it.
So far I have worked with Sketchbook (I got android installed for now) as well as HiPaint, with okay-ish results, but I was curious, do you guys have apps or technical assets that you could recommend? Any tutorials or helps or ideas on how to properly get started drawing digitally?

I've been a full blown super classic painter and drawing guy so far, I used to draw on proper drawing paper, a physical sketch book with 200g paper, I'm used to oil painting and felt-tip pens are the most digital I so far ever got. I regularly write by hand using a super special and ridiculously valuable fountain pen that I love dearly, so digital art is foreign to me! I do like it a lot though, since I got started with it and while I will always write using my fountain pen, I can imagine swapping to full on tablet drawing in the future, so, as you can see, I'm highly uneducated, dumb, without any talent but highly motivated to use my Slate more intensively!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Thanks for the tips!! I really appreciate that, I really need to just get started and gently caress around with it more, and I love the video help you linked! That's a great help, as so far, I kinda just didn't know where to start!

That's also the answer to your question so far, I really love the tablet, as I also can use it as a normal tablet with android apps on it, I also got myself a really nice feeling paper-like film for the screen, that greatly increases the resistance you feel on the screen while drawing with the pencil, making it feel like you're really drawing on paper, which I appreciate a lot.
So far I have mostly just tested around with drawing on the tablet, I have edited some existing paintings to see how it looks and I know that you have basically an infinite amount of possibilities of how and what you design and make.
I have limited myself to only draw with pencils so far, as in terms of actual painting, I'm used to oil paintings, with real high quality brushes, paint thinner and painting on cotton canvas.

I know that, in theory, I can do the same virtually on the tablet, but I haven't found out how and how each of the sheer endless amount of tools work!
Traditionally, I have a simple set of 12 brushes and a metal knife to paint with oil and for drawing I just use normal graphite pencils and basic color - that's it! Here I have thousands of tool that can do things that are impossible to do in real life!
I find that both super exciting and interesting as well as somewhat intimidating and I would love to learn more about how to do that, both in terms of drawing basic sketches (traditionally I've been learning to l draw cartoons and comics on paper with simple pencils) as well as painting with brushes, beautiful colors and god knows what options the virtual world has to offer.

I'm totally caught and convinced that this tablet can extend my ability to create art in whole new dimensions and I would love to do that, but so far I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and lost on getting started with it! Sounds weird, doesn't it?

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 30, 2024

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oh my god, apologies! Apparently my phone autocorrect decided that this must be it in that context :cripes:

Thank you for the advice! I'm slowly weaseling my way into this medium so far, it's certainly fun and offers so many cool possibilities! So I'm motivated to just slowly getting into it and hopefully get better over time, too!