Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

windex posted:

I am in the process of moving and sold my 27QHD Touch due to space concerns, and I would agree with this, except that I have yet to have any Cintiq last more than 3-4 years before something dies and it isn't covered by warranty anymore. I lost my 24HD after 1 year and 3 months, 3 months after the Japan warranty period ended. The longest lived was a 21UX which lasted just past 4 years.

Now that I found the pin tip kit for the Surface I have been using it way more.

:whitewater: Wuh oh. My 21UX is getting up there, it's almost 6 years old. I hope I don't have to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Oh. Yeah I use it probably 8-12 hours per week.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

If you have a Mac, yeah. On Windows you can use an app called Duet but it's kind of bad.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I'm trying to keep a good thought for the Dell Studio.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The day the Windows tablet pcs support tilt as a standard is the day I buy a Surface. That day is coming soon, since the updated Wacom tablet PC spec supports tilt and has no parallax. Supposedly Microsoft is going to have a product announcement sometime this spring, so maybe... :shrug:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah, it makes an annoying gap between the stylus tip and the line being drawn.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The big upcoming hotness is that the new Wacom OEM protocol supports tilt. There's going to be a bunch of better-quality Wacom-based third-party devices coming out very soon with reduced parallax, better accuracy around the edges, and tilt support.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Goo Gone is life

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Will a calibrator even work with the gamut capabilities of the Cintiq?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Gotcha. Thanks!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

kefkafloyd posted:

I use the DTK version of the 21 (uses Intuos4 pens) and it works fine, albeit the color is not as good as the latest and greatest. I got it for cheap and have no intention of replacing it until it dies. If it's a DTZ (intuos3 pens) I would skip it.

This verbatim

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I tried it several times during its development. It works :airquote:OK:airquote:

I wouldn’t recommend it.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Real talk. I hardly use my Cintiq anymore because the iPad Pro does 99% of what I need for my purposes. I wish it had more full-featured animation software available, but the primary value of it as a platform (to me at least) is the LACK of extraneous UI stuff. No keyboard, no wires, no tooltips, no menus, etc. Makes it easier for me to just get lost in drawing, painting and animating. I'm not doing commercial work these days, though, so I can see why the Cintiq side of things is more important for others. But the ergonomics of it have always been extremely uncomfortable to me, and I have trouble getting into a good flow when I work at my desktop.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I use RoughAnimator. Here are some samples of stuff, not cleaned up obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YppKKHTVQo

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Give Sketchable a go, it's in the Windows Store. The free version is enough to play around with.
Sketchable is cool and good. There's also great app with infinite drawing canvas called Mischief ($15).

I'd strongly suggest buying Clip Studio Paint for her when it goes on sale. When I was a young teenager I had access to Adobe Photoshop and started messing around and learning to use it. It was a HUGE benefit to start learning real professional software at a young age. Nowadays CSP is becoming the industry standard for comics/manga/digital illustration. Photoshop is still important, obviously, but CSP has a much lower barrier to entry because it costs $45 or less for a perpetual license.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

Clip Studio is nice but cramped. Maybe its better on the huge ipad pro screen, but its basically the pc interface mushed into a tablet. At least you can try before you buy tho.
The interface is extremely customizable. You can make custom shortcuts to whatever and hide everything else on the screen. It’s certainly not as elegant as procreate, but the stock UI layout is totally wrong for the iPad and can be changed to something better in about 5 min.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

It has to do with Wintab IIRC?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Would this be the right thread to ask if an iPad pro and apple pencil + procreate is worth it for the portability over a wacom tablet with a display?
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
:orb:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I’ve got the big one, no ragrets

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

It’s OK, it has some features and design similar to Clip Studio. I have a soft spot in my heart for Sai and I don’t think Medibang is all that similar, but it’s a good free/cheap option to have. Sai is just a special, wonderful little app :3:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

kinnas posted:

Anybody with a more traditional background ever use Wacom tablets with the overhand grip?

like so

I've recently started drawing with pencils using the overhand grip and it's really good, wish I'd learned this sooner. Feels a bit like by giving up the familiar arc of the wrist you also give up certain habitual lines and stylistic shorthands. As if you draw more with intent and will and less of habit. Especially if you have a large drawing surface so you can really move your shoulder.

Trying it with my Cintiq I find my hand's a lot lighter this way as well. I used to have to really adjust the pressure sensitivity in the settings to get a light touch with the writing/tripod grip. However the shape of the stylus is such that you can't really do any of the low angle side of the pencil style techniques. Feels like you'd need a really long custom tip for the stylus for this.

Anyways I'm curious if anybody else has tried this and how did it work out?

I've tried to do this with the Cintiq stylus with no success. With an Apple pencil it works great.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

They just open-sourced the code for the two-finger-tap undo.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Get the big iPad. I have heard of very few people who are happy with their decision to go with the 16" Cintiqs. Also you can get Clip Studio for the iPad (though they gently caress you over with a subscription fee).

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Not that I've encountered thus far. I have the first gen 12.9" 64GB and it's still chugging away.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Koramei posted:

Adobe’s new painting app for iPad is out, it’s horrible and you should not waste your time.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

lofi posted:

How's GIMP for photo editing? It's freeware not-photoshop, but I've not used it enough to say if it's any good.
Use Krita, it's much better and also FOSS.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

InsertPotPun posted:

I want a drawing tablet that I can just carry with me and use, to replace my little pad and pencils. I'm not technologically inclined at all, I'm going to have a hard time "downloading" "drivers" (only a slight exaggeration) I just want to sit down, turn it on, and draw as a hobby. I'm absolute rubbish at researching this stuff so any help would be appreciated.
Get an iPad and Apple Pencil.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

Get an iPad and Apple Pencil.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I've been using an app called Infinite Painter on my iPad recently, I find it blows even Procreate out of the water. It's cheap and great.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Leng posted:

Am I just better off hand drawing stuff and scanning it in at a high resolution for coloring? The amount of undo involved in trying to draw anything digitally directly is just painful though I could probably put up with it if it's just coloring rather than the actual drawing part.
If your budget is $100, then scanning is going to give you the best results.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I have a first-generation iPad Pro 12.9” that I bought used in 2015, it’s still going strong. It’s easily the best digital drawing experience I’ve ever had, and I’ve spent probably 20 years and who knows how many :10bux: on different devices and platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I have a Cintiq 21UX (it’s old) and it kills my entire body to use it. The only tablet I’ve ever used that doesn’t hurt is the iPad, because I can lay it on a table and use it like a regular drawing surface. Putting the Cintiq horizontal-ish doesn’t work very well because of the viewing angle issues of that generation of LCD. Newer models may be better in that regard.

The other thing that has effed me up for years is the stiffness of the surface. Even a steel pen on paper has some “give” compared to plastic on glass.