Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
So... is Wacom still the best for drawing tablets in 2023? I see grumbling online about reduction in their quality lately and I'm curious if there's any merit to it before I jump for a Wacom Tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

the_lion posted:

Depends what you're looking for.
Huion have really stepped up bigtime, but I wouldn't expect their drivers to be as supported as long as a Wacom.

For the record, I had an Intuos 3, and that was supported for a long, long time- almost ten years. I also have a huion screen tablet that I've had for 5 years running on the same system. The Huions are much, much cheaper than the wacoms though.

Fabulous, thank you. I've been considering the Intuos Pro or one of the Cintiq models depending on my final budget. Now I'll also consider the Huion tablets.

I'll admit that I've never used a drawing tablet before, so I'm unsure about the necessity of a screen. My first step will probably be to hunt down a cheaper used tablet to get a feel for if I actually want a screen before committing serious money.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Listerine posted:

I actually prefer using my Intuos 4 over my Cintiq, I like that my hand/stylus don't block the view of what I'm trying to work on. I never would have gone for the Cintiq except that I need the desk space and the second monitor. I'd definitely try both before spending any significant money.

I have picked up a used, smaller Intuos (smallest?) per your positive experience with them Listerine. First, I tried it in GIMP, and it was pretty clunky. But then I moved to Krita and have had a fabulous time doodling with it today. After like, 3 minutes playing with it I had no trouble with the tablet-screen coordination. It was indeed nice to not have my hand/stylus blocking anything.

I'm sure I'll run into clunky stuff that'll push me towards better software/hardware, but so far my experience has been really good. My only nit has been that the tablet has no hand rest for doodling on the couch, but I solved that by clipping the tablet into a clipboard haha. Thanks for the advice! :)