Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Counted
Apr 28, 2023
Got a Huion Kamvas 13 and I'm really happy with it so far! If anyone's considering a good budget drawing tablet, it seems solid to my limited knowledge. No delays, overheating, or such I've experienced so far.

However, for Huions I'd recommend to check if your computer has a USB-C port with the newer specs that support video/more power because their default connection involves two USB cords and a HDMI port whereas the second port for USB-C requires just one cord, one port and you're done. Pretty big difference if you like connecting/unconnecting your tablet or are on the move. Fortunately my laptop had one and it hooked up fine with the one cord.

Anyways, this is a pretty big thread and I used to always think I was bad at art, but it turns out it was just unmanaged ADHD. Anyone have any good channel recommendations for quick tutorials? There's so many options on YouTube, but they vary a lot on what they say to do starting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Counted
Apr 28, 2023

the_lion posted:

What kind of art are you looking to do? Just so we can help you narrow down on good channels.

Proko is good for anatomy and the how to style videos for realistic drawing. Marc Brunet is good for the same reasons.

Drawing wiff waffles is good if you like drawing in different mediums and different art supplies. More cartoony.

Ross draws I watch sometimes but it's mostly time-lapse and some hints thrown in.

I'm still trying to figure out my personal "style" but I love character art with clean lines, that are vibrant and kinda quick and loose - so heavily stylized sort of work like you might see in animation or a tabletop book

I'm going to watch all those channels, thanks! I want to share my art soon on here but I don't feel like it's good enough yet. One day at a time.

Counted
Apr 28, 2023

sigma 6 posted:

Want to back this bit up about USB C powered tablet. I have the XPpen 13.3 artist tablet and I actually like it quite a bit EXCEPT THE EXTRA CABLES! If I could have done it all over again I would have gotten the Huion. Didn't realize that was a differene between the two brands. I hate carrying extra cables.

I've heard great things about them too, honestly there's so many good options for drawing tablets on a budget than 5-10 years ago! The irony is I did it for portability, but treat my new tablet like it's made of porcelain right now and can't bring myself to take it anywhere so I only draw at home.

Incidentally, the thing I did forget was to get a drawing tablet stand that I had to get separately next-day delivery. There's always something.

If there's one area I found lacking in my tablet, it was the default pressure sensitivity settings. I had to turn the sensitivity DOWN actually as my lines were coming in thick and sketches came out way too bold for my liking. It took a while to find the sweet spot.

Next on my purchase list is a bluetooth Keypad so I have even more buttons for rotation and such, my last digital art buy was Clip Studio Pro and I'm happy with it so far. I tried Krita and it was...I don't know, I'm big on open source software but it didn't do it for me.