Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

So... is Wacom still the best for drawing tablets in 2023? I see grumbling online about reduction in their quality lately and I'm curious if there's any merit to it before I jump for a Wacom Tablet.

ive used smaller cintiqs and intuoses a lot and In my opinion Wacom is pointless now, they charge you more for less features and the technology isn't massively improved, they just remove insanely useful buttons, touch rings and sliders cause they realized they can charge you more for the overpriced numpad.

I got myself a kamvas 22 plus on a ergotron arm after I replaced my venerable intuos 4 large which I've kept despite having cintic 16 or whatever that i sold.
It's great, feels better to draw on than a 1500 eur ipad, better than any cintiq I've had, great color, same size as my main monitor and the pen is great.
Still missing buttons but I built myself a macropad that has an extra layer with all the shortcuts and a knob for brush size.

For 470 or whatever the kamvas was, it might be the best value tablet out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Grats on your new slate! How do you like it so far?

As for digital painting, coming from trad it is important to understand that brushes wont paint for you, they are there mostly as a distraction to avoid until you know how to use them. A nice hard round brush with size set to pressure for lines, one with opacity set to pressure for shading (you can even turn it into an ellipse so it's easier to get into nooks and crannies, one hard round eraser and one soft round eraser is all you need. And to this day is what I use.

Key thing with digital is not shying away from using layers, masking, undo, zoom, flip canvas and erasers all to your advantage. Don't be afraid to use lasso tool to select, scale and warp a cock up. It's what they're there for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umpmbbcAzgU Mr. Safadi has some great tips and philosophy to share. He is one of the old school digital art greats as well, not one of those new tiktok youngsters. He does use photoshop but it's mostly applicable to anything.
I still use his methods but I have simplifed them a lot and removed a lot of his processes to make art more enjoyable, fun and a bit faster.
My general process is:
Be light on layers - Large number of layers just serve to confuse you and most of them sit around doing nothing. I find it easier to just merge the layers down after I'm done working with them. If there is a biggus mistakus, then oh no, you get to enjoy painting more.
Paint in, erase out: I like to make a new layer, lay down a brush stroke and erase parts I don't want with hard or soft eraser depending on need. I then merge it down and start another layer. You can also use masks to make your life easier, but I embrace the mistakes. I often slow down and take my time to get a good brushstroke that can be erased.
I personally do use underpaintings but it's mostly green monochrome underpainting for human skin. I am not a fan of monochrome sketch and then using colorize - the colors end up horrible and you have to repaint everything anyway, so why not just do it straight with colors and use zoom out and squint to check values.

As for programs I have ditched photoshop and I am now exclusively painting on clip studio as it is dirt cheap for the whole package. They should have a portable version too for ios or android. No idea if it is any good tho.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

It is very easy indeed to get overwhelmed which is why I advise that the endless amount of brushes is a trap. But I guess it's a trap everyone must fall in and do their few years to understand that.

I guess treat digital as a different medium. Painting in it likw you use oils or drawing like you are using a pencil is certainly possible but for me ir has always been a bit of fun.
I recommend doing some master studies of digital paintigns. It's fun and may help you understand. I am getting back into art but I'm doing hands series right now, master studies are up soon. You can follow my progress in daily doodles thread and folk there are happy to offer advice as well.

Goons Are Gifts posted:

, my ability to create art in whole jew dimensions

Unfortunate typo.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I am quite happy with CSP's UI. I have been using it touch only on my pc since I have use of only one arm for now and it's been a good, functional experience. Though I can see how lack of multi touch gestures like two finger tap to undo, would hurt.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I find it whack people have issues adapting to a screenless tablet. Never heard it was a thing back when I got mine but to be fair touch screens were rare back then.