Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Anyone have experience with Cintiq screen protectors? I'm paranoid about my new one, after reading about scratched up screens people have had to replace in the past, although I'm not sure if it's still a problem with the newer models/materials. I've got one of these: http://www.strongengineering.com/onescreenprotectorfitscintiq21ux17x12-34.aspx - And it's pretty nice, although be warned you'll lose a noticeable amount of clarity due to the drawing side texture.

As for the Cintiq itself, I definitely like it, although I'm still working out ergonomics, and I can't make any solid guess about working speed increases yet.

P.S. Also I need to find a programmable ergonomic mini-keypad thing, because these side buttons seem like not quite enough.

Locus fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

neonnoodle posted:

Photoshop can do pretty much anything the above can do and more. It has the best brush engine and with the right configuration of tools you can simulate pretty much any natural media, even watercolors (I'm in the process of making a tutorial on this, btw). NKS3 is also a nice free set of natural media presets for Photoshop.

tl;dr: PHOTOSHOP>EVERYTHING
Photoshop costs about $600 though, unless you mean Elements. Also photoshop may have nice brush capabilities, but Painter (full version at least) has some color blending and advanced brush effects that I haven't ever seen in PS. <:mad:> SOFTWARE FIGHT

Also I picked up a Logitech G13 for Cintiq use and it's way nicer than contorting your hand to reach a keyboard or making do with the limited number of side controls on a Cintiq.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

I've got an Amazon order pending for a 21UX myself. Have you tried any of these screen protectors yet?

Still just using the Strong Engineering one. No sign of wear on it that I can see. The clarity loss doesn't bother me, but that's just because I don't take it off and have gotten used to it.

I'll probably get around to trying other options some day.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

Hello everybody. I have a question regarding using a tablet in general. I've been dabbling in art for a while and I've been considering returning back to art school after an extended hiatus. A unique opportunity has given me the chance of obtaining an Intuos3 9x12 that was gently used by the previous owner.

I've never used tablets all that much in comparison to real media, so my question is this: How much of a difference is there between the two and is it difficult to adjust from traditional media to a digital one?

In general, do you prefer making art using extensive linework, crosshatching, and other precise linear stuff? Or do you prefer using huge sticks of charcoal or large brushes and blocking in forms over time until you get a result you like?

Because an Intuos is going to lend itself to the second one far more than the first. The main thing you'll have to get used to is the hand/eye disconnect, since you're going to be drawing on a totally different surface than the monitor.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

I doubt their policy accepts returns on a few dead/stuck pixels. I vaguely remember the "acceptable" number being pretty high for an expensive monitor, when I was researching them for my Cintiq.

I've never really noticed dead pixels on any monitor I've owned, but I never look too closely, based on "ignorance is bliss".

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

weavernaut posted:

Is it possible to replace the grey surface of an Intuos3? Mine is getting pretty banged up, including patches that "catch" the stylus nib sometimes and gently caress up lines.

I saw replacement surfaces for sale on the Wacom site and I'm wondering a) are those what I think they are b) how easy the replacement will be.

If you don't mind a sticky part (that might be easy to remove with the right chemicals, not sure), you can just pull the thing off and flip it over. It's just a thin sheet of flexible plastic basically.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

All I need out of my Cintiq is the screen and pen. The surface keys and selector, sliders, and pen buttons are useless, since I just operate a Logitech G13 with my off-hand:

Better ergonomics than contorting your finger to reach too-few buttons. Even the eraser is pretty pointless, since pressing a button is faster than turning the pen around.

V:confused:V

*edit* Oh, I should mention that Photoshop doesn't seem to love G13, and it sometimes gets unresponsive until you click on a menu or something. Probably to do with how I've mapped out the exact key commands, like Control+ for zooming in, etc rather than remapping everything in Photoshop to single buttons, but who knows.

Locus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 13, 2013

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Listerine posted:

I'm using a Razer Nostromo at home but was thinking of getting another pad for work- have you tried the Razer as well? I'm wondering how the two compare.

Hmm, no, I haven't, sorry. If I ever see one at the local computer thrift store I'll pick it up and report back here though.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Has anyone tried to make a setup that used some sort of remote positional detection, rather than the electromagnetic sensing board you draw on with traditional tablets?

I guess you would have a lot of problems to overcome with positional accuracy, but it might be worth it if you could just pop a couple of sensors on a piece of plastic, or a wall (or a piece of plastic on your monitor - parallax be damned) and go to town.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't know of anything that would turn any monitor into a cheap cintiq-like device and I suspect Wacom doesn't care for developing one either. I think systems like Kinect aren't accurate enough either, even if someone would develop a software backend for it.

Yeah, reviews for the Inkling are pretty mixed, and not so positive sometimes. But absolutely, I wouldn't expect Wacom to develop anything other than what they've been doing, unless forced to.

I really love my Wacom hardware, but guess I'd just like to see them (the hardware and the company) get replaced by better, cheaper, more portable models that give us more freedom...

Locus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 27, 2013

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

I'm going to be away from my tools and workspace for about five months soon, and thus unable to do amateur screwing around with technology, but for the love of god someone else here buy a $55 Retina display, adapt its signal, and smack it on top of an Intuos please.

http://hackaday.com/2013/04/22/connect-a-retina-display-to-a-regular-computer/

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

I've got one of these screen protectors for my 21UX: http://www.strongengineering.com/search.aspx?find=cintiq

It's worked great the past few years, but it's slightly textured and brings your screen clarity down a notch.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

What app do you use for painting on an Android OS? I figured there were plenty for sketching, but how's the selection for more process-oriented finished stuff?

I'm tentatively planning on getting a used Surface Pro 2 in a year or so, just to act as a budget travel Cintiq, but I'm still open to ideas.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

I haven't tried a new/huge Cintiq, but I've heard both "This is great!" and "This is too big. I miss my older 21 inch Cintiq" from owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

mutata posted:

Apple is probably last on the list of people I would like to compete with Wacom.

I've been dying to see Valve's Lighthouse tracking attached to a $100 Intuos tablet. I think the tracking resolution will be a little low, and we'll need to wait for 2nd/3rd gen stereo goggles to have any kind of picture quality, but I'd love to have a virtual Cintiq for travel when I don't feel like lugging a 30 pound fragile monitor around.

Bonus points when you can skip the Intuos and just draw on any nearby wall with a Lighthouse-equipped pressure sensitive pen.