Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I have an A4 Intuos3 and it's awesome and already lasts me for almost 4 years (I think) without any problems whatsoever.

I tried out several A5 widescreen tablets and Bamboos in the past years, but always felt they were too jittery for my klutzy hands :D I mean you have less space, so small movements of your hand move the mouse cursor a lot further than on a larger tablet, making precise movements a lot harder.

EDIT: Concerning software, my Intuos came with Corel Painter LE, which is nice and pretty similar to ArtRage as I've heard.

EDIT 2:

Miskatonic posted:

Hate to hijack a thread. But I recently bought a Wacom Tablet and I'm terrible at it. Anyone know of any helpful tutorials and how to fix the annoying "hold the pen in one spot for less than a second and a window pops up" in photoshop thing?

I don't know what you're talking about concerning Photoshop, but you definitely have to get used to working with a tablet. The problem I had at first was that when I wanted to "left click", I moved the pen too much horizontally, thus moving the mouse pointer off the thing I wanted to click on :haw: It gets better though really fast, at which point you won't want to miss your tablet.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

A Child's Letter posted:

I have an Intuos 3 (for both, since I work from home). I'm a terrible artist, but one thing I hate: I'm left-handed, so I have to disable all the buttons because otherwise random crap pops up or I'll scroll so some other dimension when I just want to draw a line :smith:
But the Intuos 3 is laid out symmetrically, so it doesn't matter which hand you hold the stylus in. Personally I never touched the strip/buttons accidentally.

EDIT: In case you mean the Intuos 4, I think you can just turn it around, so the button are on the right side of the tablet.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Broodwich posted:

Might actually get a tablet after having the thought roll around in the back of my mind for years. What's the best free and/or relatively cheap program to use for digital art?

Probably ArtRage.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Dolash posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...

I know absolutely nothing about tablets - in fact, I'm not exactly sure what you use a tablet for. Do you draw something with a pencil then scan the drawing and draw over the lines using a tablet? Do you draw from scratch with the tablet? Do you do the whole drawing with the tablet, or do you draw something with it then import it into something else to draw over it?
All of the above, depending on what you do. Personally I don't draw much at all, but use my tablet as a more precise and way more comfortable controlling device for my computer, compared to a regular mouse. Also, depending on what you do, you might work faster with a tablet than with a mouse.

Dolash posted:

I also have no idea what a good one is or what they can do or what they're compatible with.
I think the general opinion is that Wacom produces the best tablets. They can be expensive, but they seriously last ages. A Wacom Bamboo tablet might be a good starter tablet, as it's rather inexpensive. If you want to "go pro", have a look at the Intous series. Most important when choosing a tablet is probably choosing the right size. A larger tablet is more precise, but requires larger arm movements and more desktop-space. A smaller tablet offers greater portability, a lower price and depending on your use, more efficient handling.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 10, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Concerning a second screen: it always felt weird to me, using a tablet on multi-screen setups. If you force the aspect ratio thing, then your tablet is only used half and thus precision is halved too. If you don't force the aspect ratio then ... well ... that sucks. I'd go with a single, big screen.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I just got a Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet for travel and while it seems to work well enough for what it is, I sometimes get stuttering mouse movements under Mac OS X. I downloaded the newest driver and I'm close enough to the tablet with the pen, but sometimes the cursor just gets stuck for a split second and then jumps back to its position. I haven't got this behavior with my Intuos3 though. Is this a known issue and are there ways to resolve this?

EDIT: Also, using middle click inside Chrome doesn't let me scroll the page like with a regular mouse or the Intuos3. It does open links in a new tab though. :iiam:

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 13, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Logic Lies posted:

The wifey just got me a Intuos 4 medium for Christmas I am just wondering what everyone prefers for software. I saw Artrage mentioned earlier in this thread and there is Sketchbook Pro from autodesk that does the same thing. Anyone have any ideas on which one is better?

Considering that Artrage is only $20 and Sketchbook Pro is $80(?), I would get the former and see where it takes you. I haven't worked with either software but I've heard good things about Artrage.

Edit: Or you can just download the trial versions of each software and compare them directly yourself.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 26, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

AdamAntz posted:

Cheap tablets

I'm with CannedMacabre that you should not go with any other tablet than a Wacom. It is a tricky situation though when you've never worked with a tablet before, and most people I know that own tablets themselves have either tried them at an office/internship/friend first for a bit, or had a bad experience with another brand before getting a Wacom. They are expensive, but so drat durable and comfortable to use. I've got an A4 Intuos3 for almost four years now, that has been used every day, apart from three months that it sat in storage, where a water pipe burst, leaving mold over most of my stuff before being noticed. Still, there has never been the slightest of a problem with it or the pen or the (horrible) mouse.

Additionally, I own a small Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet for when I travel and I agree that it's too small for serious drawing/retouching, especially when you're used to the sensitivity of the Intuos pen.

I've also worked with another brand that I forgot the name of at my first internship, where the pen needed batteries and thus was so heavy that it became tiresome to use. Don't get a tablet with a pen that needs batteries/recharging!!!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The Dave posted:

Hey Guys,

So I'm a typical Web Designer, not an artist at all. I was thinking about picking up a tablet just to help out with paths in Illustrator when making logos, but I'm wondering if getting a Intruos 4 Medium is overkill for my usage. Logo design is definitely not my meat and potatoes, I actually try to avoid it other than participating in SA-Mart logo threads when I'm bored.

Would the bamboo be more suitable for me?

The Bamboo is fine for Illustrator and for a general mouse-replacement, if you don't actually "draw" much (i.e. don't need more pressure levels, a tilt sensor and a big work area).

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

RizieN posted:

Anyone use the Intuos 4 and bamboo? I got my wife an Intuos 4 large last year and I love it, but she's getting sick of me hogging it and taking it to the office, so I was thinking about getting a cheap bamboo to keep at my office.

I'm wondering how much difference you can actually tell in the pressure sensitivity between the two.

A lot. I've got both a large Intuos3 and a Bamboo at home, and work with an Intuos4 in the office sometimes. The Bamboo definitely behaves as cheap as it is. As I wrote earlier, if you don't draw much and mainly need a mouse replacement it's perfectly fine, but as soon as sensitivity and work area resolution get important it becomes frustrating. Also, don't put your Bamboo next to a running Intuos tablet as the latter will interfere with the former :haw:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Godsavethefritos posted:

Is it a limitation of the digital medium or is there a way to get thin, attractive linework with an intuos3?

The larger the tablet, the more precise you can draw. Also, some software smoothes your strokes or vectorizes them.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

Do you happen to know any of these programs? I wound up buying a tablet and I've been looking forward to getting a cleaner product out of my drawings since I tend to have a sketchy look.

Adobe Illustrator lets you draw with a vector brush and I think (don't quote me on this though) that Manga Studio has some sort of "line-straightener" function too.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

You both mean Intuos4 instead of Intuos3, right? The black one is the 4, the dark gray one is 3 and the light gray/blue one is 2.

If your Intuos2 is still working fine for you then I'd stick with it. I think the only real differences between all the tablets, apart from their design, are the new buttons and wheels/touch strips. The buttons were never really great on any Intuos in my opinion, but I do prefer the two touch strips of the 3 to the one dial on the 4.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Probably Windows 7..

Edit: googled it again and found this:

quote:

I think this also works for vista.
Type "gpedit" in the command line window and press enter. Now, at the new window that opens, navigate to
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Tablet PC
> Cursor.

Now enable the Turn off pen feedback setting.

Done, this way you deaktivate the annoying circles without loosing the other windows tablet features =)

Does it work?

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Did that get rid of the ring animation though?