Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I just upgraded from a graphire 3 to a intuos 4 medium and holy poo poo is it one beautiful looking computer parapherial, even the box it came in was gorgeously designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

E:nm

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 10, 2011

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

chiyosdad posted:

I have a similar question. I've used an Intuous3 and know that it is adequate, but my friend has a Graphire4 and I'm wondering if it will be sufficient for our project. I'm wondering what the difference between the two are in terms of features? If I recall correctly, the Intuous3 has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity, and looking around on the web it looks like the Graphire4 has 512 levels. I don't think this should be a noticeable difference, but is it (I have not used a Graphire4 so I can't say)? Also how does the "resolution" per inch compare? Are there any features that the Intuous3 has that the Graphire4 does not?

What's the project? I've never used a graphire 4 or intuos three (just a graphire 3 and an intous 4 :haw:) - the intuos is a big step up from the graphire, most of the improvements are things that speed up your workflow (the hotkeys, clickweel etc) and while the increased pressure sensitivity is nice, it just makes doing certain things faster than with the graphire, it doesn't really allow you to do anything new. I haven't played around with the intuos' tilt sensitivity though, that might be a gamechanger for all I know.

Anyawy
What kind of brush settings do y'all use for digital painting? I used to set the opacity jitter to pen pressure, but lately I've been turning off the opacity jitter and setting the size jitter to pen pressure instead. Internet tutorials seem split on the issue. I'm not sure which I like more yet, though.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

So my Intuos 4's pen stand has gone missing (If I had to guess, I'd say my 1 year old probably threw it in the trash, as is his wont). I can't seem to find a way to order a replacement stand by itself though, it seems like wacom wants me to spend $100 on a new art pen to get one and that 'aint happening.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Bored posted:

Shoot me a pm. I've got an extra one. It may be for an intuos 3, but I think it'll still fit. At some point, I lost the original intuos pen, but still had the stand. There's no nibs storage though, if you needed that. It looks like Wacom still uses this style of stand for their airbrush pen.

Yeah the nib storage is what I really need, but I really appreciate the offer anyway. But hey at least now I have motivation to clean up the apartment to find it :v:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

SexyBlindfold posted:

Dumb question, but what exactly is the point of all the extra nibs? Is it just for when one gets worn out? I tried a couple and they seemed to be just the same, although I might have tried it when the driver had gone to poo poo (thanks for the resetting tips btw) so I'm not sure v:shobon:v

Also, for real, which is the best way to clean the tablet? I'm googling it and I'm getting hella contradicting information on what kind of solution I should use, if any.

The different nibs have different feelings to them, some are slicker (the hard black ones), some are softer (the white "felt tip" ones). With the intuos series the nibs also wear down (although eventually the surface wears smooth after a few months of use, but until then it eats nibs for breakfast) much faster than the graphire series (I never once changed the nib on my old graphire, even after enough use that the finish on the pen and tablet wore off). I just wipe my tablet off with wet wipes.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

:swoon: Thank you so much, I never would have found it on wacom's horribly designed website!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Wokrider posted:

I picked up the Wacom creative.
Next question is where is a good place to find tutorials for beginners?
I have experience with photoshop, but never with a tablet.

Check out Ctrl+paint, tons of in-depth beginning digital painting videos http://ctrlpaint.com/
Also check out proko-tv on youtube, there's more you can find in the creative resources thread.

The best way to really get the hang of using a tablet (and get over the disconnect between looking at a screen and the movement of your hands) is to just draw tons and tons of circles and bean-shapes to warm up.