Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Chedranian Girl posted:

Has anyone got any information on Wacom's Inkling? I'd never heard of it before today

That's because it was just announced this morning! ;)

It looks amazing, seriously.

According to gigaom it uses a standard ink refil, so those won't be some propriatary money grub that will go out of production in 6 months rendering it useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Koramei posted:

I know everyone raves about the iPad Pro as a drawing tool, but how is it for other stuff? I've been thinking about getting it + one of those keyboard cases instead of a laptop, any thoughts?

I'm not heavily invested in the Windows/Microsoft stuff, I never needed to find workarounds for, say, OneNote so keep that in mind when I say I can do 90% of the Art/Business/Entertainment stuff I need to do on the iPad Pro. Efficiency is a little more variable, but since scrivener was released for iOS, I've been leaving the laptop behind more and more. Procreate writing/reading PSD files natively was a godsend.
Folks dis the multitasking, but I like being able to split screen safari/photos for a reference image and procreate and sketch away. Once photoshop sketch allows larger file sizes (it's capped at 3000x3000 px IIRC) then it'll be fun using Kyle Brushes on the iPad directly. You can now, I just work really large so Procreate is the tool for me right now.

Hope it helps.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I have to ask what you're using for animating on the iPad Pro? I've been looking at the apps available and they're all... lackluster. The few things I've done in the last year were all via Astropad into Photoshop CC's timeline.

Speaking of, I pre-ordered a Luna Display at the start of their kickstarter and I'm super excited to actually get my hands on it. Made by and for the AstroPad guys. Turns the iPad into an actual external monitor for your Mac. With all the touch and Apple Pencil stuff.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Neon Noodle posted:

I use RoughAnimator. Here are some samples of stuff, not cleaned up obviously:

Thanks. I'll check it out.
That Music Man clip is awesome, btw.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I picked up a Huion 221Pro last week and have been enjoying the hell out of it.

I wanted to see, however, if anyone else had a similar issue with their tablet monitor on a mac system.

I have a late 2012 iMac (latest drivers and OS), and it keeps ignoring the external monitor of the Huion. There's obviously an issue, as sometimes the main monitor will go into a blink:on blink:off cycle that won't stop unless you unplug the external monitor from the DisplayPort. But mainly the issue is that unless I reboot (sometimes a couple times) the iMac doesn't even see the Huion. Using the "detect displays" button in the system settings doesn't even see it.
Just wanted to see if anyone else using a mac had a similar issue and had found a fix.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Claes Oldenburger posted:

On this note, does anyone have a good source of brushes or brush settings from procreate? Need to get away from these basic ones and was wondering if all y'all have some good suggestions.

I've been enjoying http://daub-brushes.com

Just wish Procreate would import an entire folder of brushes instead of one at a time...

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Franchescanado posted:

Where's the best place to purchase digital paint brushes for Photoschop, Illustrator and other CC programs?

I'm quite partial to the Daub brushes.
https://www.daub-brushes.com/

Hope that's helpful!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Funosaurus posted:

If your goal is to use it as a tablet connected to your computer to draw, it leaves a little to be desired. I would suggest looking at specific screen tablets that focus on this, rather than ipad/pencil combo. I tried it with Astropad and there is noticeable lag and pixelation, even connected with a cord. Wireless it was unusable. Maybe it's a non issue with the new ipads, I don't know, but with the 1st gen I prefer to use my screenless Intuos.

The Astropad guys came out with this https://lunadisplay.com and I got one just a little while ago. I haven't really integrated it into my workflow yet (Procreate is sorta too good) but the tests I've done fiddling around with photoshop via the luna display are smooth as butter. The iPad becomes a (good) Wacom monitor tablet. Super responsive, the Apple Pencil's pressure sensitivity shines. So it could be an option.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I'm still trying to find a good way to do this for Zbrush but on a PC :( duet display seems to gently caress my computer everytime I try it.

Oh, yeah. Both Luna Display and Astropad are Mac only. Sorry. The guys who founded the company were former apple engineers and were leveraging their knowledge of the iOS and MacOS internals.

I think with PC you're gonna have to go with a Huion or Wacom as Duet Display doesn't (to my recollection) support pressure from the pencil.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

TVGM posted:

It does support pressure if you get Duet Pro, which is $20 / year: https://help.duetdisplay.com/faq/121330-how-much-does-duet-cost

Oh hey, thanks for that. Totally missed that factoid.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I like the the glass as well, the stylus just glides. I do use one of those drawing gloves tho, the ones that just cover the last 2 fingers. It helps.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Kingtheninja posted:

So if I've already got a 6th gen iPad and wanted to get into drawing with a display, would it be best to just grab an apple pencil and procreate?

It’s probably your easiest option if you already own a compatible iPad. You could save a few bucks maybe with one of the newer 3rd party styluses, but 2nd gen Pencil is basically 0 effort to pair and worth it.
Procreate is a great drawing program, so yes.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

TVGM posted:

2nd gen pencil only works with 3rd and 4th gen iPad Pros iirc

Doah! My bad, sorry about that.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I bought an XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro about a month ago based entirely on this review:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJud2Y5XNxQ
It took just under a week to arrive from Hong Kong and because they launched a sale the day after it arrived, upon request, they refunded me the $ over the sale price I had paid.

So far I am absolutely loving it. The lack of a laminated screen isn't really distracting me, the size with the QHD screen lets me work in photoshop and keep my various pallets open along the sides without it feeling crowded. The only issues I have is the driver drops from memory if I turn off the display and let my Mac sleep. Running the control panel again gets it working without a reboot (the Huion I had would take 2-3 reboots to reconnect the sensor.) The pressure sensitivity is finicky at the low end. I'm still tweaking the pressure settings so I can just dab down some color without having to apply pressure too much.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Wacom seems to have dropped their new Cintiq Pro 27 today. 4k 120HZ display for $3500 plus $500 for the stand. Ugh.
The base monitor has a standard VESA mount at least. I guess.
https://estore.wacom.com/en-US/wacom-cintiq-pro-27-interactive-pen-display-dth271k0a.html

The most interesting part, to me, is the new Pro Pen 3 is very customizable. Multiple grip options, button options and can slot in weights to adjust the balance.
Most importantly it's backwards compatible with other Cintiq Pros. (This last reported by the Verge. There's no separate Pen page on Wacom that I can find yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Listerine posted:

I was saving up for a 32" when they discontinued it, and it was priced the same, so what's the justification for this price tag- is it the 120 Hz refresh rate?

And does that really matter on a drawing tablet?

Does Wacom ever justify their price tags other than "Cintiq lol?" As long as I can remember they've always priced at a premium.
Best guess it's the display element pushing it up. But $1500 over the 24"? Goddamn.