Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Looking at getting back into drawing and don't really want to spend more than $100. This is what I already have:
  • iMac
  • iPad 2 :(
  • Maglus stylus :( I hate it but the iPad 2 is so old that it doesn't look compatible with any of the Apple Pencils
  • Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300
  • Duet Display - I bought this back in 2015 so I don't think I have Pro?

I just tried doing some simple line art in Krita on my iPad 2 connected to my Mac via Duet Display and...the lag just sucks. Am I just better off hand drawing stuff and scanning it in at a high resolution for coloring? The amount of undo involved in trying to draw anything digitally directly is just painful though I could probably put up with it if it's just coloring rather than the actual drawing part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Thanks for that, I had a feeling that was going to be the case but it's good to have confirmation.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Trip report: I made the mistake of walking into a store to try out drawing with the latest iPad Pro and Apple Pencil 2. It is so much fun!!!

Still don't have enough of a budget for that, though I think I could scrape enough together for an older iPad and Apple Pencil. How much of a difference is there if I got say, a 1st or 2nd gen iPad Pro with the 1st gen Apple Pencil?

Edit: and do the specs of the iPad Pro really give it that much of an advantage over using a normal iPad or iPad air?

Leng fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 14, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

deep dish peat moss posted:

used/refurbished older generation iPad Pros (like the 9.7")

Reporting back to say this is what I did. Picked up an iPad Pro 9.7" 256 GB WiFi only for $375 AUD and an Apple Pencil 1 for another $100 AUD. Downloaded Procreate for another $15 on the App Store. $490 AUD all up, which I'm pretty happy with since my goal was to keep it under $500 AUD altogether.

Have just spent 90 mins drawing with it and I love it. Now I want the Paperlike screen protector and the DraftTable stand but that's another $60 AUD and $120 AUD respectively :gonk: so I'll just muddle along for now.

Meanwhile I decided to stop procrastinating and sell a bunch of other stuff I had lying around and am not using, just so I can feel like this purchase wasn't that much of a hole in the bank account. :v:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I've had luck finding that model second hand, so you might be stuck buying another complete unit instead of just a replacement pen?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Scrree posted:

something portable to get them out from their desk.

So my question is, is there a similar or superior option out there? I figure there must be drawing platforms that are independent laptop units but I have no clue if they're like, any good.

This thread convinced me to buy a second hand early model of an iPad pro + Apple pencil + procreate.

Well this thread actually convinced me to walk into a store and try one and after like 3 mins I was like ok I need one of these.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

dervinosdoom posted:

Hell,

I bought an iPad pro because of you!

Monster

Aww...what?! I mean...yes! Join us!

(I have some slight regrets about not buying a version with more RAM because a limit of 12 layers for illustrating a children's book sucks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

KitConstantine posted:

I would prefer not to spend too much but if a paid app really is the best option I'm open to it! I don't like subscription models but capitalism is a gently caress and if I must I must

I'm probably not the best person since I use an iPad Pro with ProCreate but Krita is an open source option that I looked into very briefly that you could try?

Arc Hammer posted:

Are there any good tutorial videos people would recommend for setting up layers and brush selection and so forth?

I've honestly learned a lot just by watching other artists do art/drawing livestreams because you can see their whole process. Sometimes they also talk about the brushes they use, etc.