Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
b-b-but then how do the generals on the noard of directora get their cut?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Allegedly the local ones weren't authorized because there were slight changes in tint/stitching, and they wanted to enforce uniformity.

And in fairness they are slightly different, but honestly if they weren't side-by-side, I would have never been able to tell the difference.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
The hats were a major disappointment, because they were designed so incompetently it's almost impressive. I've worn all manner of ballcaps my entire life, and the RCAF ones are the first I would ever describe as uncomfortable to wear. The beret persists.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

the beret persists not due to comfort, but price.

berets are free

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

With my hair longer I find myself in a constant struggle to keep my beret from sliding off.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

my morning jackass posted:

With my hair longer I find myself in a constant struggle to keep my beret from sliding off.

then your hair is out of the only reg left and you need a chargin, troop!

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

My Spirit Otter posted:

the beret persists not due to comfort, but price.

berets are free

If the caps were comfortable I'd pay $100 apiece to never wear a beret again.
Alas, they are not.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Gainsboro posted:

If the caps were comfortable I'd pay $100 apiece to never wear a beret again.
Alas, they are not.

must be nice to be rich

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

My Spirit Otter posted:

must be nice to be rich
Gotta have something to show for being in this long (besides misery and injuries).

I have no idea how anyone without spec, field or officer pay even survives.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Gainsboro posted:

Gotta have something to show for being in this long (besides misery and injuries).

I have no idea how anyone without spec, field or officer pay even survives.

(we dont)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I had no idea that veterans licence plates were so easy to get now. There used to be a minimum service requirement and now it's just "lol honorable discharge give the Legion money", it's nuts.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

I had no idea that veterans licence plates were so easy to get now. There used to be a minimum service requirement and now it's just "lol honorable discharge give the Legion money", it's nuts.

is there not still a 3 year service requirement? not that thats much

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

is there not still a 3 year service requirement? not that thats much

I think it's just BMQ, no lower bound on service period.

E: of course being plates this is province specific to BC

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mantle posted:

I think it's just BMQ, no lower bound on service period.

E: of course being plates this is province specific to BC

i know when i got mine in ontario a couple years back it was 3 years and manitoba is currently the same

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

An officer at an old unit endured a bit of ribbing over the fact that they showed up with a veteran plate as a milcol grad.

It pretty much ended after they pointed out all the places that gave them free parking. A lot more veteran plates popped up on base soon after.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

does trenton break colonels or does ottawa only hire the best and brightest for the position?

edit: alternative joke: he's not the first trenton colonel who's tried to kill some birds.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 29, 2023

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

What happened?

(edit: not Russ Williams, the other thing)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

https://www.quintenews.com/2023/08/28/314078/

quote:

Quinte West OPP says they have arrested 8 Wing Trenton commander Colonel Leif Dahl after an incident involving the use of a firearm at Murray Canal.

Police say they responded to the canal on Friday around 2:30 p.m on a complaint of a firearm being discharged from a boat.

It was reported to police that wildlife was being targeted.

The boat left the area before police arrived but was located a short time later.

Police say allege the firearm was thrown into the canal.

Col. Dahl is charged with the following:

Obstruct peace officer
Careless use of firearm
Use firearm carelessly to hunt
Hunt bird without a licence
Unlawfully have a loaded firearm in conveyance
The accused was released from custody and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Belleville on September 28.

The investigation is ongoing.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Man I'm glad I don't live in Trenton anymore. It's the place that made me glad to live in Winnipeg.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Better form up the NCMs to yell at them

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Man I'm glad I don't live in Trenton anymore. It's the place that made me glad to live in Winnipeg.

unironically same

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Apparently Colonel Boat Gun had both a .22 rifle and revolver, the latter which breaches the law regarding restricted weapons.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/leif-dahl-cfb-trenton-commander-firearm-charges-first-court-appearance-1.6979919

I know someone who knew him, and based on the experience they had, they're...not upset about the news.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The wrong kind of gunboat diplomacy

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The wrong kind of gunboat diplomacy

and yet still more powerful than anything our navy could muster

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Why do we need MQ9s when there are already so many Predators? :thunk:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Way to go, Lief. You made the department look bad, and now they're gonna cut $1B of our budget.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/department-national-defence-budget-billion-1.6981974

This is particularly funny if you were one of the places that had onramp funding approved last summer.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Why do we need MQ9s when there are already so many Predators? :thunk:

mq9s are combat drones and predators are command staff. completely different use cases

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I don't meant to spam this thread, it's just we've been making national news a lot this week. Colonel Gunboat has been thrown out faster than the rifle he tried to toss into Murray Canal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/dahl-permanently-removed-command-cfb-trenton-8-wing-1.6982601

"What Wing Commander?" - LGen Kenny

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

That's going to be a super awkward Change of Command parade.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

whats the over/under on the new guy getting arrested?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Thank you for playing, Wing Commander!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

CBC News posted:

The Department of National Defence has been saving the finance department over a billion dollars every single year by underspending its capital account," said Perry, whose organization has occasionally hosted conferences partly sponsored by defence manufacturers.

The capital account is intended to buy new equipment. In 2023, it accounted for about $6.1 billion in planned spending.

Hey just saying, we could probably use the capital account for more affordable military housing when we're posted somewhere.

e:fixed link

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 4, 2023

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Mom and dad fight a lot, why do you hate your countries economy? If the government built housing for its military members they would devastate the local and national economy, proving that government housing could be cheap.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Chillyrabbit posted:

Mom and dad fight a lot, why do you hate your countries economy? If the government built housing for its military members they would devastate the local and national economy, proving that government housing could be cheap.

fun fact, canada used to be one of the leading providers of govt housing in the 60s and 70s but the conservatives took power, slashed the housing budget, then mulrooney and chretien further gutted it and we became one trailing nations instead, harper slapped some lipstick on the pig during the recession because he absolutely needed to spend on something. trudeau, having added housing to his platform after the ndp campaigned on it and saw people responding, refreshed the lipstick and added some mascara

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

fun fact, canada used to be one of the leading providers of govt housing in the 60s and 70s but the conservatives took power, slashed the housing budget, then mulrooney and chretien further gutted it and we became one trailing nations instead, harper slapped some lipstick on the pig during the recession because he absolutely needed to spend on something. trudeau, having added housing to his platform after the ndp campaigned on it and saw people responding, refreshed the lipstick and added some mascara

Would Trudeau do that? Just go on the campaign trail and tell lies?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

winnipeg thieves are weird, man. they stole both mine and my neighbours bikes, which were chained up outside, but they left us slightly shittier bikes

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
My squadron OR is apparently out of correction tape until 2024. You know, the common office supply that costs 10 cents a metre. Can be bought at the Dollarama three blocks away. Impossible to officially procure until the new year.

And I'm supposed to roleplay that this organization could fight a war. Will the next generation be expected to buy their own bullets from Cabela's?

/vent

Gainsboro fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 1, 2023

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gainsboro posted:

My squadron OR is apparently out of correction tape until 2024. You know, the common office supply that costs 10 cents a metre. Can be bought at the Dollarama three blocks away. Impossible to officially procure until the new year.

And I'm supposed to roleplay that this organization could fight a war. Will the next generation be expected to buy their own bullets from Cabela's?

/vent

PP&S budgets are clad in iron and written in blood in the CF.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*nervously looks at NCR supply rooms*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

You know, every time I think "gently caress I'm underpaid and my employer is falling apart, I should look at one of the CF jobs in my field" I always come to this thread and am reminded that I probably shouldn't.

Still contemplating it though.