Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Not sure if this falls under OPSEC but I just found out that the reserves are officially broke. Cant even count on government jobs these days..... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Everyone's broke, dude. Lots of budget cuts to pretty much everything.

I found the outcap matrix for 09/10, and I doubt it's much different for the upcoming year. There are very few green occupations, the remainder are red or yellow. What that means is that most anything you want to apply for should be accepting applications - a number of the green trades are not direct entry, like SARTECH and Clearance Diver.

As well, that should mean don't let the recruiter change your mind if you want something in particular. He may have recruiting targets for certain occupations, but it's your career.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Im pretty much in the middle of BMQ right now, so if anyone has any questions about it i will be happy to answer. When people say "Do your pushups and run!" they mean it. I was put into Warrior Fitness Training aka FAT CAMP because i was lazy. It took me a month to get up to par and ive been waiting almost 2 months to get back on a normal platoon. IT loving SUCKS. Also I was never issued combat boots because they are back ordered.

And to the person asking about 00129 Vehicle Tech, if you are a liscenced journeyman or semi-skilled , you are probably elligable for up to $30,000 in signing bonuses.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

compressioncut posted:

Everyone's broke, dude. Lots of budget cuts to pretty much everything.

I found the outcap matrix for 09/10, and I doubt it's much different for the upcoming year. There are very few green occupations, the remainder are red or yellow. What that means is that most anything you want to apply for should be accepting applications - a number of the green trades are not direct entry, like SARTECH and Clearance Diver.

As well, that should mean don't let the recruiter change your mind if you want something in particular. He may have recruiting targets for certain occupations, but it's your career.

Oh I've been in for a few years already, just pissed about canceled training.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Blame the Olympics. The amount of money we've spent vs the amount of extra money the Feds have given us is unreal. Its eaten up a huge amount of the O&M money for this year ( and the next).

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Even the Olympics security guys took a big hit, or at least, they received a lot less than what they wanted.

Good for me and alot of others, because I get to continue with real work instead of being TD to Vancouver for three months, checking IDs or whatever. We only have to supply one guy, as opposed to what we were told in the summer - that the unit was shutting down and everyone was going.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I don't get the "Not issuing combat boots" thing

What the gently caress do you wear with your cadpat? Running shoes?

"GO DO A SECTION ATTACK. I DON'T CARE THAT YOU'RE WEARING SHOWER THONGS."

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

I don't get the "Not issuing combat boots" thing

What the gently caress do you wear with your cadpat? Running shoes?

"GO DO A SECTION ATTACK. I DON'T CARE THAT YOU'RE WEARING SHOWER THONGS."

I wear my gortex boots every day. Im really getting sick of it because they dont shine up like combat boots do.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

mr_selfdestruct posted:

I wear my gortex boots every day. Im really getting sick of it because they dont shine up like combat boots do.

Their not supposed to, that is why you use boot paste which "repels water". I hated my Gortex in basic, they were to small and hosed my feet up. After basic I traded them for the same size as my combats and then loved them. My combat boots were almost bald after 9 months.

Also I love how the thread icon is Mil surplus. Its sad but true.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 6, 2010

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
You people dont like the gortex boots? Weirdos.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
double post

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

compressioncut posted:

Anyone been chanting the mantra "yellow is the new green" yet, and intentionally breaking programs that are working well because their success means they're getting too much money?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

grover posted:

Anyone been chanting the mantra "yellow is the new green" yet, and intentionally breaking programs that are working well because their success means they're getting too much money?

Possibly, but I don't see it from my seat. Most of our trades are too small for that degree of politicking.

There's also a fun colour that's not really official as far as I can tell - black. That means the trade is unrecoverable, and is more strongly tied to the PML/TES (preferred manning level/trained effective strength) at different rank levels. Normally, of course, you want a bunch of people at the lowest rank level to feed the upper ranks.

Well, there are a some trades that now have single-digit TES numbers at the Ordinary Seaman/Private level. There will be no easy way to recover from that recruiting deficit.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

You people dont like the gortex boots? Weirdos.

The Goretex boots are fine, except when they're all you have and you have to wear them outdoors, on packed snow, with sweaty feet. Like wearing ice blocks for all their grip and warmth. Comfy when you're sitting around the place reading PPTs indoors, though.

Also, the shortage on combat boots seems to have something to do with the Mk III / GP changeover, and the gov't having sold off the 'surplus' of Mk IIIs before the supply of GPs was built up. :downs: :canada:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah I picked the surplus icon when I made the thread, because it seemed to fit the general theme of the CF. Making do. Like the MKIII combat boot, the one the British army tested and rejected due to poo poo ankle support, but was issued for over 10 loving years.

or the Bombardier built Iltis or LSVW. I mean, I love the Iltis, it's a hilarious little vehicle, but totally useless. And the LS is completely loving awful.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

mr_selfdestruct posted:

Im pretty much in the middle of BMQ right now, so if anyone has any questions about it i will be happy to answer. When people say "Do your pushups and run!" they mean it. I was put into Warrior Fitness Training aka FAT CAMP because i was lazy. It took me a month to get up to par and ive been waiting almost 2 months to get back on a normal platoon. IT loving SUCKS. Also I was never issued combat boots because they are back ordered.

And to the person asking about 00129 Vehicle Tech, if you are a liscenced journeyman or semi-skilled , you are probably elligable for up to $30,000 in signing bonuses.

'Sup Warrior buddy? On WFT2 here, been on WFT for 4 weeks. Got my pass just before Christmas leave, now I get to wait too.

We had a few guys on WFT2 that never got their combat boots, they are in stock now. They told them they would be informed when they got them in stock again, they never did. You just have to go over there and punch the QM guys in the balls.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

You guys that just finished phase 2 are lucky , you have the chance to get on that warrior platoon right away. They could have made 3 of those platoons during the time i have been waiting to get back on. Phase 3 sucks , you will wish you were back on phase 2 lol.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
My brothers friend was on the first fat camp platoon. Funny thing was he only failed the push ups and then got sick and was recourse. They have screwed basic training up. They make it so you cant VR till week 5 now. What happened to the days of going to the Timmies/Mcdonalds, getting some applications and filling them out and leaving them on their bed. Also, has anyone noticed the quality of recruits/BMQ grads going down in the last year?

Whats all this WFT phase stuff?

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 6, 2010

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Fraser CDN posted:

Whats all this WFT phase stuff?

There are 3 platoons, generally 1 and 2 are for people who haven't passed the CF Express yet and 3 is people who have passed and are waiting for platoon. They all do almost exactly the same stuff though, so I'm not really sure why they get called phases.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Why did you guys join in such terrible shape that you couldn't pass the bare minimum standards to stay on a platoon? The standards are so incredibly low, that you should be embarrassed for saying you are in the fat camp. Seriously. The majority of WFT is filled with shitpumps, in my opinion.

Anybody else have signs all over their mess saying that the menu will be limited until April? Apparently they're running out of money for food. I am upset about this because I loved steak night thursdays, and ribs and chickenwings on fridays.

I'm posted in Kingston, doing my trade qualification courses for ATIS Tech.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

mdivi posted:

Why did you guys join in such terrible shape that you couldn't pass the bare minimum standards to stay on a platoon? The standards are so incredibly low, that you should be embarrassed for saying you are in the fat camp. Seriously. The majority of WFT is filled with shitpumps, in my opinion.

I thought I was in good enough shape to pass the test but I guess not. Oh well.I wanted to join so bad I didnt care what kind of shape I was in. WFT is a great loving program for getting into shape , I lost 25 lbs and can run forever now. At first I was embarrased to be in WFT but now I dont really give a poo poo because I know I can outwork alot of the people who passed the express test the first try. Obviously there are alot of shitpumps in WFT, but some of them VR and some of them completely turn their poo poo around and become really good guys.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So, what about those LSVWs, eh?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

mdivi posted:

I don't know anybody who showed up thinking they would fail, people fail for a variety of reasons not all of which are related to their physical fitness. I won't make excuses for my failure, it was my mistake and I accept that. I'm not embarrassed to admit my mistakes, I'm going to fix my mistakes and move on.

The part about us being shitpumps? That's the general rumor. There are shitpumps on warrior just like anywhere else, but the majority are working goddamn hard to get their asses out of there. As far as I'm concerned having the courage and determination to stick with it and make it through warrior, despite your mistakes is much more admirable.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
heard about that fatcamp and all I hear a good things. i dunno the CF in general is obsessed with labelling out of shape dudes as shitpumps. in my mind, the one thing that everyone can change is to get in shape, i.e. its the easiest thing to change. If someones a genuine retard then theres usually no changing that, but if someones switched on but just fat or something big deal, a few months of PT and diet will make that dude.

mo-litia infantry represent. I want some CADPAT loving raingear, sick of this rubber poo poo and stealth suits arent good enough. you can keep the new rucksacks tho, and ill keep my '64.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 7, 2023

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Generation Internet posted:

Small world, I'm not in the military but I've lived in Kingston all my (very short) life.

I'm just a high-school kid, but I've been planning on joining the forces for a while now, hopefully as a pilot. Starting on getting a private license now, and maybe joining the reserves next year. I've also been thinking about RMC, assuming I could get my rear end into gear by application time.

good luck with pilot, my buddies down in CFRC tell me that pilot is retardedly hard to get but i dont know everything seems to be upside down now with recruiting (infantry trade is closed? jesus...)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

The Goretex boots are fine, except when they're all you have and you have to wear them outdoors, on packed snow, with sweaty feet. Like wearing ice blocks for all their grip and warmth. Comfy when you're sitting around the place reading PPTs indoors, though.

Also, the shortage on combat boots seems to have something to do with the Mk III / GP changeover, and the gov't having sold off the 'surplus' of Mk IIIs before the supply of GPs was built up. :downs: :canada:

Are you crazy? Gortex are awesome outdoors, or at least a hell of a lot better than the GP's or Mark III's. Warm, comfy and most importantly dry. For snow, you cant beat the mukluks though.

Oh yeah, and the GP's suck so much that a lot of people including myself cant even loving wear them. Thankfully I only exchanged one of my Mark III pairs, because I havent worn the GP's once since the day I tried them, sticking to my Mark III's.

Also dont even start on the LS. If you've never been to Meaford theres a giant rear end hill road called the hog's back, I was riding in an LS with my sergeant major and the thing was barely climbing, motherfucking school-buses were overtaking us.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I remember that hill from when I did my Driver Wheel course, people on loving foot can go faster. One of the amusing things for me after that was after weeks of driving nothing but the LS and ML's, I had to remember to not stomp on the gas of my car and especially not on the brakes.

I never did understand why the hell they made a vehicle that squeals when you touch the brakes, so much for being tactical at night when you're driving without lights. Nothing screams "Canadian Forces over here!" like an LSVW.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 7, 2010

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

Are you crazy? Gortex are awesome outdoors, or at least a hell of a lot better than the GP's or Mark III's. Warm, comfy and most importantly dry. For snow, you cant beat the mukluks though.

They're not so awesome when the soles freeze and lose all traction on packed snow, and when the sweat in your socks freezes too because the layered socks are 'winter' issue and they don't have that at the sub stores so you'll just have to wait sorry :argh:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I liked my MKIII's for field use, mainly because I had a pair from when I was a cadet (lol) that were so worn in and comfortable that I could wear them comfortably in any situation.

Except Meaford. Those were Goretex rain or shine (because if you were expecting rain, it would shine, and vice versa).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

They're not so awesome when the soles freeze and lose all traction on packed snow, and when the sweat in your socks freezes too because the layered socks are 'winter' issue and they don't have that at the sub stores so you'll just have to wait sorry :argh:

Mukluks, mukluks and again Mukluks, that is all you should wear in conditions like that. Although I have done patrols in a -40 (before windchill) blizzard in my gortex and came out ok.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Canadian Forces: Bootchat.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

Mukluks, mukluks and again Mukluks, that is all you should wear in conditions like that. Although I have done patrols in a -40 (before windchill) blizzard in my gortex and came out ok.

:v: Mukluks are also part of your winter issue and we're out of those, too.

:argh:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Canuck-Errant posted:

:v: Mukluks are also part of your winter issue and we're out of those, too.

:argh:

That's weird, ive seen pictures from the 80's and they were wearing the same winter gear. Im sure they have some laying around that have been mothballed.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Vadoc posted:

I never did understand why the hell they made a vehicle that squeals when you touch the brakes, so much for being tactical at night when you're driving without lights. Nothing screams "Canadian Forces over here!" like an LSVW.

the best is when OPFOR use em on ex so you can get everyone to stand-to on a defensive like 5min before they attack

as for the squeeling, its because the brake pads are steel or some dumb poo poo like that because it was cheaper, atleast thats what i heard on my LS course. i loving love the LS's horn, so goddamn cheesy and awesome.

btw all of you talking about issued boots are completely crazy. non-issued boots is where its at. My magnum's are freaking combat runners, though I want to get some SWATs

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
I just got issued my boots today, oh boy!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

swagger like us posted:

as for the squeeling, its because the brake pads are steel or some dumb poo poo like that because it was cheaper, atleast thats what i heard on my LS course. i loving love the LS's horn, so goddamn cheesy and awesome.

Fuel Fired Coolant Heater.

Say this 10 times fast.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Generation Internet posted:

Small world, I'm not in the military but I've lived in Kingston all my (very short) life.

I'm just a high-school kid, but I've been planning on joining the forces for a while now, hopefully as a pilot. Starting on getting a private license now, and maybe joining the reserves next year. I've also been thinking about RMC, assuming I could get my rear end into gear by application time.

I'm applying to be a pilot, and have completed aircrew selection. Generally, you have about a 1 in 250 chance of completing selection and being screened medically fit. 50% of my ASC course passed, which was actually quite high, the average number is closer to 30%. Then the forces still have to want you, so odds are still not good.

Actual flying experience doesn't necessarily help, but it looks good on an application. I just took ground school. It may actually behoove you to not get a license, because if you don't pass ASC, you must get the next level of license before you're allowed to try again - if you have no license, you have to get a private, if you have a private, you have to get a commercial. Worked for me, anyway.

That said, the percentage odds are a little misleading because there's very little chance involved. They just indicate the percentage of applicants that have the aptitude for the job.

As for RMC, Jebus is your man for that because he went there.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fraser CDN posted:

That's weird, ive seen pictures from the 80's and they were wearing the same winter gear. Im sure they have some laying around that have been mothballed.

At the local sub stores, which are for reservists but also can be drawn on by NSaskR - who also incidentally need a bunch of winter kit for exercises this month?

Yeah, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009
I'm working through my Machinist apprenticeship and I've been considering the CF for a while now. Closest thing I found on the recruiting site was "Materials Technician", but that seems to be more of an equivalency to civilian apprenticeship.

Once I have my Journeyman ticket, what kind of work is there in CF? I've heard tell of maintenance positions for the Navy on the west coast, but nothing concrete. Signing bonuses were mentioned too, is that more for high-demand positions?