Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Well, it all depends on what you're doing. Pay is done in days or half-days. I believe a Private-0 makes around 70 per day. When I retired as a Corporal-3 I was up to around 130 per day. It's pretty good.

Hours...well, as a reservist, you're doing 1 half-day per week, one weekend (friday-sunday) per month in the field usually. You might be able to pick up some days here 'n there doing odd-jobs.

You also have summer training for further qualifications. Anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
thanks! I appreciate the help

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Anyone know much about the Image Tech trade? I'm looking at applying for that, since I have applicable education, but the recruiter said it's hyper-competitive to get in with guys trying to remuster in from all over.

The info on forces.ca says Image Techs operate with all arms of service, so does that mean they can be stationed anywhere, or is it just a "you're getting loaned out from Cold Lake" kind of thing?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Anyone know much about the Image Tech trade? I'm looking at applying for that, since I have applicable education, but the recruiter said it's hyper-competitive to get in with guys trying to remuster in from all over.

The info on forces.ca says Image Techs operate with all arms of service, so does that mean they can be stationed anywhere, or is it just a "you're getting loaned out from Cold Lake" kind of thing?

It usually means that you go where you're needed. The beauty of the CF is that since we're all integrated it's not rare to see Air Force working for Navy, or Navy working for Army. For example, one of the trainers on my Clerk quals was an Air Force sergeant, and I worked with a few Navy Petty Officers as well.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

So it looks like our government has decided an official response to the Haitian earthquake

We're sending HMCS Halifax, HMCS Athabaskan, a C-17 and our DART team, along with a bunch of cashola and supplies.

Poor bastards are gonna need as much help as they can get. It looks like an utter catastrophe.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 15, 2010

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

MA-Horus posted:

We're sending HMCS Huron

Something tells me you mean HMCS Halifax, unless someone went and raised the Huron from the bottom and didn't tell me.

Pretty sure they either left this morning or are leaving tonight. Didn't see them in the Dockyard today.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Lt. Jebus posted:

Something tells me you mean HMCS Halifax, unless someone went and raised the Huron from the bottom and didn't tell me.

Pretty sure they either left this morning or are leaving tonight. Didn't see them in the Dockyard today.

You're right. We're not sending a sunken destroyer, and I'm an idiot.

Though I can kind of see that happening

"Ok, we're dispatching the Huron"
"...Sir, she's not exactly...mission capable at the moment."
"WELL GET HER READY!"

*CF Spends millions raising her from the ocean, re-outfitting her*

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
So is DART a td, or ...?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Simkin posted:

So is DART a td, or ...?

I doubt it. Not a group as specialized as those dudes.

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001
I don't post enough for anyone to form a hatred of me strong enough to warrant a custom title.
Another person stuck in limbo until April checking in. Could anyone give me an example of what an average day is like for a combat engineer? I wanted to go in the infantry but I've heard that it's going to be closed for the foreseeable future.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Cojac posted:

Another person stuck in limbo until April checking in. Could anyone give me an example of what an average day is like for a combat engineer? I wanted to go in the infantry but I've heard that it's going to be closed for the foreseeable future.

Doesn`t it just suck?

And that's weird, my CFRC told me that Infantry was re-opening in April as well.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
Posting from KAF.

Can corporals get into this fat camp thing? Getting paid to work out sounds awesome. I am lazy an flabby as all hell. So I'm par for my trade E TENEBRIS LUX.

I miss being a ballistic locksmith, somedays I don't know why I VOT'd out of the infantry. At least I got another tour super fast.

I will probably go regs, I might change up trades again. Pondering reg force weapons tech or airframe tech.

Exeter
Sep 30, 2003

Sometimes terrible things have to be done.

Flanker posted:

Posting from KAF.

Can corporals get into this fat camp thing? Getting paid to work out sounds awesome. I am lazy an flabby as all hell. So I'm par for my trade E TENEBRIS LUX.

I miss being a ballistic locksmith, somedays I don't know why I VOT'd out of the infantry. At least I got another tour super fast.

I will probably go regs, I might change up trades again. Pondering reg force weapons tech or airframe tech.

Dude I was always hoping I would run into you someday. 3PPCLI goon here, halfway done my tour with the OMLT and loving it (read: bored as gently caress). Maybe I'll see you in KAF in a few months.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, I just pulled my issued ruck out of the back of the closet where I stowed it after kit issue; not only is the inside of the main compartment and all the pouches covered in grit, but it doesn't have anything but the metal frame and canvas bags.

I didn't get a shoulder harness.

Grgh. Time to call sub stores again.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know just how long infantry recruitment is going to be open in April? Or just that it is?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MohawkSatan posted:

Anyone know just how long infantry recruitment is going to be open in April? Or just that it is?

Until it is full. It could be weeks or months.

Also for anyone who cares, the last episode of Basic Up Reloaded is on youtube.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 19, 2010

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Flanker posted:

Posting from KAF.

Do you really want to be a weapons tech? Really? Fixing the guns that everyone breaks?

:downs: "I left my C7 on top of my LAV. It fell off and a Leo ran over it. Can you fix it?"

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

Do you really want to be a weapons tech? Really? Fixing the guns that everyone breaks?

:downs: "I left my C7 on top of my LAV. It fell off and a Leo ran over it. Can you fix it?"

Its sad but they probably did fix it. How bad of a jacking did you get for that?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I was talking with my father recently, and he was apparently told he's not able to reenlist in the militia anymore because he never graduated high school, and because of the glut of young dudes who did who want in as well.

It kind of bums me out, considering my own lack of a high school diploma. But hey, some random soldier remustered into my desired trade without even the knowledge on how to use a camera. I have a college diploma that says I can at least do that. So it should help. Right? :sigh:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

I was talking with my father recently, and he was apparently told he's not able to reenlist in the militia anymore because he never graduated high school, and because of the glut of young dudes who did who want in as well.

It kind of bums me out, considering my own lack of a high school diploma. But hey, some random soldier remustered into my desired trade without even the knowledge on how to use a camera. I have a college diploma that says I can at least do that. So it should help. Right? :sigh:

How do you have a college diploma and no high school diploma?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

A reality check is that the people looking at your file have no clue how great you are at something, they essentially just want to see all the boxes checked. It's one of the shittier things about the selection process.

That said, who knows and it just might work out. Worth a shot, and you could always get a GED or something in the meantime, if you really want the job.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

MohawkSatan posted:

As far as I understand, what happens is that each year each trade has a quota of the maximum amount of people they can recruit into each trade every year. When that quota is reached, the trade closes until the next recruitment period starts. Some trades are "high demand" at certain points in the year because no new blood is signing up for that trade.

So if you want to be in Infantry, I would suggest applying ASAP, since it filled up fairly quickly last year. The recruitment process is a huge pain in the rear end and in all likelyhood the recruitment centre will lose you medical/forget to send it out/accidentally use your application as doodling paper and delay the process by months. If you are merit listed(done applying) for infantry right now you will probably get a job offer in April, since you are first in line for the position.

If you really want to join up and don't care what trade you go into, just be a SigOp. Apparently they always need people and the rate of advancement through the ranks is pretty quick if you don't have poo poo for brains.

(Keep in mind I'm not actually in the forces and just basing this off what my career counselor/buddy who is a Sig told me.

Fraser CDN, do you post on army.ca?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

How do you have a college diploma and no high school diploma?

Adult Learner Exam. They didn't require me a GED for entry, so I never bothered with that, either.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Fraser CDN, do you post on army.ca?

I've posted once or twice. Before I did basic training asking what I should be looking forward to. What most people who do before joining the army. Probably haven't logged on in 2 years now.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Exeter posted:

Dude I was always hoping I would run into you someday. 3PPCLI goon here, halfway done my tour with the OMLT and loving it (read: bored as gently caress). Maybe I'll see you in KAF in a few months.

Hello internet stalker!

Fun hint: I see Sgt Bailey every morning. He gets to see the weather slide I prepared.

give me a shout, you don't take PMs

theclemens AT geemaledotcom

I need an OMLT shoulder patch, so much cooler than the fuckin lion king thing on my arm.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Anyone on here stationed at Gagetown? I'm just sitting on PAT at the moment, waiting to start CAP next week, filling out my sign-in card, and killing time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

Its sad but they probably did fix it. How bad of a jacking did you get for that?

gently caress, I've never done that. I've seen people do worse though.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
For those who have gone through BMQ, would you recommend getting your own boots before shipping out?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Radulf posted:

For those who have gone through BMQ, would you recommend getting your own boots before shipping out?

Only if they're issued. You'll get smoked if you bring non-issued kit and try to wear it in uniform without permission.

Go to a surplus store, try to find a pair of well-worn (but not ugly) MKIII's if you can. It'll save you a lot of pain if you get a pair that are broken in already.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Radulf posted:

Personally I would say no. All your going to do is give staff a reason to jack you up. They will have someone else name and last 3 in it. Also reg force do not get issued MK3's any more, so you will stick out. If your going reserve, your are most likely going to get used boots so it doesn't really matter.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Reserves, there was a nice little article on A7 of today's Globe & Mail about how the government should be putting more resources towards supporting reservists. :3:

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009
Former Infantry reservist here. I, like a few people in the thread, want to get into Reg-force Infantry, and I was told to come back in February so I could start the process in time for the April slots (which is a laughably short period, given the usual enlistment times). After asking a few recruiters (online and in person), I got the message that the selection process is both 'first-come-first-served' AND also based on CFAT scores/med results/etc. What gives? Is it merit or luck-based?

I really want to get in as soon as possible, and it would loving suck to be sitting on my rear end 'till the next quota is released. Anyone have any advice?

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I just got back from the recruiting center and I was told to wait until April when more positions will be opening up. Next week I'm going for my CFAT and the person I talked to recommended me the NCM subsidized education program. I was looking into joining infantry or something similar but was told those positions fill pretty fast and can be hard to get into. I noticed a lot of positions relating to communication that are open and several navy positions. Can any of you give me some insight to joining as infantry or the NCM-SEP program?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Benedict IX posted:

Former Infantry reservist here. I, like a few people in the thread, want to get into Reg-force Infantry, and I was told to come back in February so I could start the process in time for the April slots (which is a laughably short period, given the usual enlistment times). After asking a few recruiters (online and in person), I got the message that the selection process is both 'first-come-first-served' AND also based on CFAT scores/med results/etc. What gives? Is it merit or luck-based?

I really want to get in as soon as possible, and it would loving suck to be sitting on my rear end 'till the next quota is released. Anyone have any advice?

For you situation you have an upper hand on anyone who is enlisting. You are former infantry so you have BMQ completed and shouldn't have to redo it(as long as you haven't been out for 5 years). All you will need to redo is battle school. You should make sure the recruiting center has your med documents because they couldn't find mine for 4 months( im reenlisting prior service).

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Fraser CDN posted:

For you situation you have an upper hand on anyone who is enlisting. You are former infantry so you have BMQ completed and shouldn't have to redo it(as long as you haven't been out for 5 years). All you will need to redo is battle school. You should make sure the recruiting center has your med documents because they couldn't find mine for 4 months( im reenlisting prior service).

It seems there is a pretty big discrepancy between reserve and reg-force BMQ. Would my 4-week BMQ equate to the 13-week reg force one?

LemonAIDS posted:

I just got back from the recruiting center and I was told to wait until April when more positions will be opening up. Next week I'm going for my CFAT and the person I talked to recommended me the NCM subsidized education program. I was looking into joining infantry or something similar but was told those positions fill pretty fast and can be hard to get into. I noticed a lot of positions relating to communication that are open and several navy positions. Can any of you give me some insight to joining as infantry or the NCM-SEP program?

Wait, they let you start the recruitment process already?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Benedict IX posted:

It seems there is a pretty big discrepancy between reserve and reg-force BMQ. Would my 4-week BMQ equate to the 13-week reg force one?

Im not sure but i know some people who did a VOT from reserves to reg force and only had to redo battle school.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 20, 2010

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Benedict IX posted:

The Regforce BMQ includes SQ and DP1 I believe.

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

The Regforce BMQ includes SQ and DP1 I believe.

Not according to the recruiting website:
http://www.forces.ca/html/infantrysoldier_reg_en.aspx

e: For anyone living on-base, what's the going rate for rent, food, and whatnot?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It depends. If you married/common-law, it's free. The cost of quarters and rations really does vary by base, though. At St-Jean, if I had been paying for it, it worked out to ~$600 (quarters were only about $90/month iirc, the rest was the cost of food).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Benedict IX posted:

Not according to the recruiting website:
http://www.forces.ca/html/infantrysoldier_reg_en.aspx

e: For anyone living on-base, what's the going rate for rent, food, and whatnot?

For reg force you do BMQ (13 weeks) then DP1 ( 14 weeks which is SQ and BIQ into one). They have now revamped DP1 so that if you get past week 4 you get SQ granted to you.

For the rent situation I payed $400-500 a month which was food and rent. I ended up with about $700 a month. Its strange, I payed more money for worse food after St Jean.

On that note I find it funny when people comment on the pay scale on Canadian and American troops. People say the Canadian Forces pay is better but actually is isnt. In the US they get paid about same as us but they do not have to pay for food/rent.