Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Benedict IX posted:

Not according to the recruiting website:
http://www.forces.ca/html/infantrysoldier_reg_en.aspx[

Beats me then.

quote:

e: For anyone living on-base, what's the going rate for rent, food, and whatnot?

At Gagetown the going rate for enlisted was about 700-800 for rations and quarters monthly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

LemonAIDS posted:

I just got back from the recruiting center and I was told to wait until April when more positions will be opening up. Next week I'm going for my CFAT and the person I talked to recommended me the NCM subsidized education program. I was looking into joining infantry or something similar but was told those positions fill pretty fast and can be hard to get into. I noticed a lot of positions relating to communication that are open and several navy positions. Can any of you give me some insight to joining as infantry or the NCM-SEP program?

NCM SEP is kinda cool if you want to get a real civilian trade qualification, but the recruiter is pushing it because he or she has been told to. Naval tech trades are in rough shape as far as manpower goes and are a top recruiting priority. You do get paid to go to a civilian school, but then you have to return a period of obligitory service. It's not all that onerous, considering the free school + salary, if you want that.

The number one thing to remember in joining the CF is don't apply for what you don't want. If you want infantry, apply for infantry.

edit - holy poo poo I just read the recruiting site abstract for my trade, Sonar Operator. It must be among the worst written on the site, it tells you nothing about the job and makes it sound ridiculously boring at the same time. Astounding.

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 21, 2010

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hey CF dudes- question for anyone who can help. I've been looking into training to become an Air Combat Systems Officer for a few years, now. Almost ready to take the plunge. Anyone have anything to share about this career choice? Hell, anything about being a Commissioned Officer in general, for that matter?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

melon cat posted:

Hey CF dudes- question for anyone who can help. I've been looking into training to become an Air Combat Systems Officer for a few years, now. Almost ready to take the plunge. Anyone have anything to share about this career choice? Hell, anything about being a Commissioned Officer in general, for that matter?

I think there was another guy earlier in the thread.

I was interested in it and wrote the test battery for it three years ago. Then the air force lifted the laser eye surgery ban for pilots and the rest is history (hopefully). The test is fairly difficult, but not impossible.

All the officers at my place of work are ACSOs. The abstract says that they are still trained as acoustic sensor officers - unless something changed, that's wrong information, and the job is being given to AESOPs (we teach the new course). There were some depressed dudes wondering what they did with twenty years of their lives when that news came down.

Can't really comment otherwise.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

melon cat posted:

I too am applying as an ACSO, and I am writing the Air Navigator test next friday. I'm told I should "review grade 12 math" and otherwise learn basic instrumentation and IFR from a handbook they gave to me, as well as be prepared to plot/chart points on a graph/map for the test.

As far I can tell from my own personal research, it's a cool job with a cool title, one of the trades most guaranteed to allow you to be able to train as a pilot eventually, and is otherwise engaging and interesting with a lot of the sort of foreign relations and international vocational opportunities that many other trades don't have access to.

Except for the year of schooling in Winnipeg.
And especially except if you get assigned to a Seaking.

Exeter
Sep 30, 2003

Sometimes terrible things have to be done.

Flanker posted:

Hello internet stalker!

Fun hint: I see Sgt Bailey every morning. He gets to see the weather slide I prepared.

give me a shout, you don't take PMs

theclemens AT geemaledotcom

I need an OMLT shoulder patch, so much cooler than the fuckin lion king thing on my arm.

Hahahah, don't EVER let that guy know you have a girlfriend or show him a picture of her. He is a creepshow to the extreme. I'll hook you up, I've got a billion patches that I don't even wear. Want an ANA patch too?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Finally got a serviceable rucksack! Well, it's got a broken strap adjusting thing on one side of the harness, but gently caress if I'm going back there over that right now. 's like pulling teeth.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Exeter posted:

...you have a girlfriend...

Um. You aren't a very good stalker, you clearly don't know me that well.

Yeah I wouldn't mind grabbing some patches.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

FuhrerHat posted:

And especially except if you get assigned to a Seaking.

service ceiling = height from which you are willing to fall

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if i get assigned to a seaking im going to become every religion in the world because obviously i did something horribly wrong i need to atone for

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Just become Hindu - reincarnation is about all you'll need, right?

HippitusHoppitus
Apr 9, 2007
In Nomine Dei
I'm currently stuck as MARS but am looking to transfer over to Chaplain, are there any Chaplains on here. I would like a bit of advice about the process of switching over. I know that panel I have to present to is supposed to be pretty brutal.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

HippitusHoppitus posted:

I'm currently stuck as MARS but am looking to transfer over to Chaplain, are there any Chaplains on here. I would like a bit of advice about the process of switching over. I know that panel I have to present to is supposed to be pretty brutal.

This is a post I would never expect to see on SA much less a mil forum (I'm assuming you're serious). I'll guess you're RC from your CT. As far as I know, all CF Chaplains complete their divinity trg and ordination before they join the CF.

The chances that there's a Chaplain following these forums is nil.

From what I've heard, MARS is a horrible trade and youd be best moving on no matter what, may I recommend Infantry?

WOFOC fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 24, 2010

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Why in the sweet hell would you want to be a Chaplain, they're nice, but useless.

Plus yes, you need to be ordained before getting into it, and you're an automatic Captain(Naval LT).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
The only guy I've ever met in the CF who wanted to become a chaplain (that is wasnt a priest already) was a crazy fundamentalist christian who got a kick out of burning grasshoppers alive because "God commands him to take dominion over all things on earth". Before we had to go out into the field I notified my WO that I refused to be near him if we were going to be issued live ammunition.

Fliktor
Oct 1, 2005

What do you mean,
"I ain't kind"?
Just not your kind.
Currently stuck in KAF right now before heading out to one of the FOB's for rest of tour. Reg force Sig Op; it's a hard job filled with sweeping and making coffee, Oh ya there's some stuff with radios too... If any one wants info on the exciting world of Signals, I'll try to answer your questions.
Not liking all these budget cuts going on, especially for postings. My reward for finishing tour is going back to CFB Shilo, 1RCHA... Out of one poo poo hole and back into another.

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Fliktor posted:

Currently stuck in KAF right now before heading out to one of the FOB's for rest of tour. Reg force Sig Op; it's a hard job filled with sweeping and making coffee, Oh ya there's some stuff with radios too... If any one wants info on the exciting world of Signals, I'll try to answer your questions.
Not liking all these budget cuts going on, especially for postings. My reward for finishing tour is going back to CFB Shilo, 1RCHA... Out of one poo poo hole and back into another.

It seems all the recruiters are pushing for Sig Ops at the moment. I'm really dead set on Infantry, but out of curiosity, what is your average day like? What sort of stuff (aside from sweeping and coffee) do you guys normally do?

e: Also, how is CFB Shilo? If/when I get in, PPCLI might send me there instead of Edmonton (which would suck balls).

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Does anybody know the format of the Air Navigator test? Is it multiple-choice, or do you fill in the blanks; computerized, or hand-written?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

FuhrerHat posted:

Does anybody know the format of the Air Navigator test? Is it multiple-choice, or do you fill in the blanks; computerized, or hand-written?

Multiple choice, hand filled in using a seperate question book. Quite simple questions but there is a lot of time pressure, which makes it more challenging.

If you really want to over-prepare, there are a lot of online resources for pilot aptitude test prep that will help out (yes I said pilot).

Fast and accurate is the key, although you shouldn't have any problems if you've taken any math recently.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I've been studying a GED handbook to brush up on my math, as well as the pilot training book they supplied me with.

I'm no whiz at math. At least, not at mental math. The biggest concern for me is going to be the time limit, since I imagine I won't have a lot of time to manually calculate answers. I figure that doing the GED prep book and as many practice questions as I can find will help me get into a quick and sharp mental capacity for the test.

I'm about 7 years out of high school, and took an unrelated to mathematics major in university, so I'm pretty rusty with math in general.

Maybe as a result I'm not qualified in the first place!

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 27, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

FuhrerHat posted:

I've been studying a GED handbook to brush up on my math, as well as the pilot training book they supplied me with.

I'm no whiz at math. At least, not at mental math. The biggest concern for me is going to be the time limit, since I imagine I won't have a lot of time to manually calculate answers. I figure that doing the GED prep book and as many practice questions as I can find will help me get into a quick and sharp mental capacicity for the test.

I'm about 7 years out of high school, and took an unrelated to mathematics major in university, so I'm pretty rusty with math in general.

Not sure if this will help but I rewrote the aptitude test and maxed it out on the 2nd try. ( I got gen military on the first try 2-3 years ago) What I did to study was to Google aptitude tests, ASVAB ( us army aptitude test) and bought a Sudoku book. It helped me with math which is my weak point.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

FuhrerHat posted:

I'm no whiz at math. At least, not at mental math. The biggest concern for me is going to be the time limit, since I imagine I won't have a lot of time to manually calculate answers. I figure that doing the GED prep book and as many practice questions as I can find will help me get into a quick and sharp mental capacicity for the test.

Don't get hung up on the math part, it's a pretty small section of the test. The recruiter focusing on math is misleading (my BPSO did the same thing). You absolutely do not need to be a math whiz to be a nav.

This is what you want - http://www.cockpitweb.com/aptitude.html the "Numerapt" stuff. I don't know if you want to spend $100 but there are some sample questions. Google similar poo poo from there, surely there's a free app available. If you get good at that you would absolutely blow away the nav test.

Fraser CDN posted:

Not sure if this will help but I rewrote the aptitude test and maxed it out on the 2nd try. ( I got gen military on the first try 2-3 years ago) What I did to study was to Google aptitude tests, ASVAB ( us army aptitude test) and bought a Sudoku book. It helped me with math which is my weak point.

Aircrew tests are more specialized than the CFAT.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

If I do well remind me to buy you a crate of beer one day, compressioncut <3

Fliktor
Oct 1, 2005

What do you mean,
"I ain't kind"?
Just not your kind.

Benedict IX posted:

It seems all the recruiters are pushing for Sig Ops at the moment. I'm really dead set on Infantry, but out of curiosity, what is your average day like? What sort of stuff (aside from sweeping and coffee) do you guys normally do?

e: Also, how is CFB Shilo? If/when I get in, PPCLI might send me there instead of Edmonton (which would suck balls).

Sig Op is a pretty diverse trade overseas, and just in general. Depends who you are attached to mostly. I'm with the battle group and stuck doing shifts in the TOC ( Tactical Operations Center) which is just radio shift, changing crypto and monitoring MIRC. Being pushed out to one of the Radio Rebroadcast stations soon, which is just making sure all the radios are functional and providing support to the other units around you when they need it (and playing alot of Wii and surfing the web). Mostly you would be stuck in a Command post, unless you are lucky and get chosen as a Signaller in 9TAC or something similar, where you will be in a LAV moving from FOB to FOB, doing VPS'(checking for IEDs before you go over a culvert) and all that 'fun' stuff. The sigs that go out with infantry sections are usually infanteers with a comms course.

The other side of things besides Crypto and Radio operating is Information Systems, just dealing with computers. You can get different courses and such and end up pretty deep into computer stuff such as running servers, implementing new software, network administrator. If you want IS it is pretty easy to get into that field as alot of sigs hate computers.

Daily life in Garrison for a normal Sig? 0800- PT for 30-60min back to work for 1000. Clean equipment(sweep)/random busywork/ avoid work(hide) till 1130. Go to lunch till 1300. Do more random busy work until either 1430-1530 and go home.

CFB Shilo really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, if you like outdoors stuff it is awesome. Lots of places for hiking, camping, hunting, etc. The base is around 2000 ppl with the closest "real" town being Brandon (approx 50 000 ppl). It's a decent size town, more family oriented and houses are pretty cheap. 2PPCLI is a really good unit, I haven't met anyone there who had bad things to say about 2VP. 1RCHA on the other hand....

I am on tour with 1PPCLI from Edmonton and Edmonton is a better base and you get an extra $650ish a month since the cost of living is higher there. It's pretty sweet, and there are always things to do in there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

2 Horse has a bit of a reputation as being dog-fuckers among artillery units. You load them equipment, don't expect it back. And if you do get it back, it's gonna be in poo poo-shape.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Here's a silly/rhetorical question - how much less fun am I going to have on winter ex, now that I can see the grass poking up everywhere around gagetown? Dragging sleds is going to be awesome.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Simkin posted:

Here's a silly/rhetorical question - how much less fun am I going to have on winter ex, now that I can see the grass poking up everywhere around gagetown? Dragging sleds is going to be awesome.

You fun level is going to be HUUUUUUURGHLAGHUGHAL/10(it's the sound you'll be making when you pull the sled over rocky patches)

thewheelsteve
Jan 26, 2010
I hate LSVWs so much

I'm a reservist Sig Op in training, I'll be going on my trade course in May.

thewheelsteve fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 27, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

You fun level is going to be HUUUUUUURGHLAGHUGHAL/10(it's the sound you'll be making when you pull the sled over rocky patches)

That'll help me through, when my section mates have conspired to keep me lashed to the lead for the entire journey through the woods, in between pulling pole.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I actually love my job but hate Gagetown. I'd honestly prefer to be in the field the entire duration of my contract than come home everyday to Gagetown. At least I feel like I am getting something done.

I miss Toronto too much.

EDIT: What winter ex? This year there is no winter ex, at least for 2RCR.

There is one planned for June, but I have no idea how we are to pull that off with just Hotel Company & Kilo Recce & Lima.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I'm on CAP, so it's not really a full on winter ex, just the winter warfare module of CAP. The weather's not really playing ball, so maybe we'll get a better chance to put the survival skills into practice later on in the course.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

thewheelsteve posted:

I hate LSVWs so much

I'm a reservist Sig Op in training, I'll be going on my trade course in May.

Everyone hates the LS. Gutless, screetchy, whiny, plasticy pieces of poo poo.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

compressioncut posted:

Don't get hung up on the math part, it's a pretty small section of the test.

Is there trig on this section? That's the only thing that hasn't been reviewed in the books I have that I remember being a part of grade 12 math.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

FuhrerHat posted:

Is there trig on this section? That's the only thing that hasn't been reviewed in the books I have that I remember being a part of grade 12 math.

I'm not allowed to be too specific (they make you promise prior to writing the test not to discuss its content), but there are basic questions about most of the math you learned in high school. Keep in mind there are a few different versions of the test, too, so some may have content that others don't. Like version A-B-C so that people can't easily pass on answers.

When I wrote it, I had been out of high school like 13 years, did little prep, and had the worst flu I'd had in years. I didn't find the math terribly bad, and I'm no math geek to begin with. It's the time pressure that is the worst.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I'm going to read into your words extremely hopefully and conclude that there is little to no trig on said test.

And I know about not discussing the contents of the test is something you agree to and I wasn't trying to get you to ignore that, I just lament that the recruiters barely even know what is on the test themselves because they've never seen it and can't give reliable information about what to prepare for.

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah
SOH CAH TOA dude.
Also I learned trig in high school in like grade 9 (I guess that it depends on where you went to high school if that is considered high school though!)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Sure I learned it -- 8 years ago.

Also, the reason I'm concerned about it is because it's easy enough to do trig on a calculator, but I've no practice at all doing it without one. And I assume I can't bring one into the test.

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 28, 2010

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

MA-Horus posted:

Everyone hates the LS. Gutless, screetchy, whiny, plasticy pieces of poo poo.

Loudly Squeaking Vehicle on Wheels

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Met report from CFB Gagetown: gently caress YOU, THIS IS :canada: IN THE WINTER

Basic Winter Warfare when the weather finally cooperates, and we get a dump of 20cm of snow and the temps dip below -20*C with the wind is loving awesome. I'm looking forward to one day being able to actually go on an Advanced Winter Warfare course, but I know that's a bunch of years down the road.

vv AHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA vv (at the MARS, I mean, not the failing air nav)

Simkin fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Ok I did not pass my airnav test. Math is the worst I hate it. Now I have to be MARS. My life sucks.