Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

FuhrerHat posted:

Ok I did not pass my airnav test. Math is the worst I hate it. Now I have to be MARS. My life sucks.

Sorry to hear that - hopefully I didn't steer you wrong.

Before you jump off that MARS cliff, surely you have other options. You should be able to rewrite the test in 3 months or am I wrong about that? So long as you have proof you improved yourself in the meantime, by taking Math 12 over at adult learning or something similar, they ought to let you re-write.

Second, if you really want to fly there's no reason you have to be an officer. Why not AESOP? The job is almost exactly the same as ACSO - my best friend is an AESOP and loves it. It's also a direct step to ACSO if you still want to do it later. Positive aspect: you will spend a much larger proportion of your career flying. http://www.forces.ca/html/airborneelectronicsensoroperator_reg_en.aspx

You do your course at CFANS, you get to wear a flight suit and you get wings. If I don't get pilot this year I'm considering it.

I don't want to bash MARS but seriously, don't do it unless your other option is homelessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggsucker
May 27, 2005
I'm going to join the military if possible. I'd like to know if it is possible for me though, so here's my question:

Do the CF accept recruits who have criminal records?

I got a DUI 4 months ago. Now I am homeless and unemployed. I don't have many options at the moment, and the Forces might be my only way out of my nasty situation. It's way too cold here to sleep outside.

EDIT hahah MARS eh?

Eggsucker fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 31, 2010

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

compressioncut posted:

Why not AESOP?

I don't want to bash MARS but seriously, don't do it unless your other option is homelessness.

There just aren't many officer jobs available right now.

You didn't steer me wrong, math just isn't my strong subject, and it really shows under pressure situations. I did really well on the other sections of the test, but my math is so weak that even with 3 months of practice it would probably slip easily into a rusty state.

MARS isn't really something I'm dying to do, but like I said, there aren't many officer positions I qualify for. AESOP sounds interesting, I'll have to bring it up when I go in next tuesday for the interview. At this point, though, I'd just really like to make the April 1 wave of new hires, so maybe my own judgement isn't exactly clear when it comes to insisting on being an officer. I guess I just want to justify the ~$40k I spent on school by doing something with it.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Eggsucker posted:

I'm going to join the military if possible. I'd like to know if it is possible for me though, so here's my question:

Do the CF accept recruits who have criminal records?

I got a DUI 4 months ago. Now I am homeless and unemployed. I don't have many options at the moment, and the Forces might be my only way out of my nasty situation. It's way too cold here to sleep outside.

Ask a recruiter about this.

FuhrerHat posted:

MARS isn't really something I'm dying to do, but like I said, there aren't many officer positions I qualify for. AESOP sounds interesting,

I was thinking about becoming a AES op but finally decided. I have to take flight crew medical in April.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

FuhrerHat posted:

There just aren't many officer jobs available right now.

You didn't steer me wrong, math just isn't my strong subject, and it really shows under pressure situations. I did really well on the other sections of the test, but my math is so weak that even with 3 months of practice it would probably slip easily into a rusty state.

MARS isn't really something I'm dying to do, but like I said, there aren't many officer positions I qualify for. AESOP sounds interesting, I'll have to bring it up when I go in next tuesday for the interview. At this point, though, I'd just really like to make the April 1 wave of new hires, so maybe my own judgement isn't exactly clear when it comes to insisting on being an officer. I guess I just want to justify the ~$40k I spent on school by doing something with it.

If you go as an NCM there are in-service commissioning options, and with a degree already you'd have it made in the shade. Do some time as an AESOP then SCP (Special Commissioning Plan) into ACSO if you still so desire, or find that you like being an NCM. There's a website called the AESOP Lounge http://www.aesoplounge.com/ where I'm sure you could find a lot of useful info. I've never met an AESOP who dislikes his job.

Just presenting options.

MARS is seriously a bad choice - I have half a decade at sea working closely with them and would never, ever do it. The recruiter will push you into it really hard, but he's trying to fill spots.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
This is one of those "what the gently caress are you even thinking" questions, but what trade is most likely to get you placement on a sub? How thoroughly terrible is life on a Victoria-class?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

This is one of those "what the gently caress are you even thinking" questions, but what trade is most likely to get you placement on a sub? How thoroughly terrible is life on a Victoria-class?

It depends. Some people are easily swayed by the siren song of the sea.

Or the siren smell of diesel in a metal tube with faulty electrics.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Sonar Operator - it's the biggest operator section on the boat sourced from the smallest trade. They are going crazy trying to man them because Victoria is supposed to be floating soon. If you even slightly entertain the thought and vocalize as much, you will be loaded on a Sub Qual literally the next day, at least on the west coast

Currently you are supposed to be a QL5 qualified Leading Seaman, which means about 4 years of service, before going boats. It sounds like they will finally take guys right after QL3 (initial training), but that's not yet official.

I know all this because I am a Sonar Op and am trying to prevent my section from being gutted.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Sub trades currently very short: Electrician, Stoker, NWT, NET(Any Flavour), Cook, Sonar Op (Very short), NCIop, Nav comm, MARS officer, NCS ENG.

Sub Trades currently relatively healthy: MS ENG

Electricians can go submariner right after NETP. We had two guys that hadn't even done their 3s yet on my basic sub qual. Some other trades like SonarOp can go after the QL3, but most still require you to be QL5 qualified before you can opt in.

As for life on the sub, generally you either really love it or you absolutely hate it. You definitely have to have low requirements for personal space, personal Hygiene (although contrary to popular belief, we do wash on submarines, just not that often), any type of claustrophobia will destroy you and most importantly you've got to have a pretty strong work ethic because there is a lot to know and useless people can get themselves and others killed on subs.

Commander Jebus fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 30, 2010

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I always thought it would be loving awesome to be a Fire Control officer on a sub. Jebus, do you know if any if our subs have ever live-fired a torpedo? From what I've heard, the ADCAP is a hugely amazing weapons system.

But I could never serve on a ship called the Windsor. gently caress Windsor.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

I always thought it would be loving awesome to be a Fire Control officer on a sub. Jebus, do you know if any if our subs have ever live-fired a torpedo? From what I've heard, the ADCAP is a hugely amazing weapons system.

To our eternal shame, not yet. We've fired shapes, which are dummy torpedoes, but that's it.

The Victoria will be the first boat to be weapons certified. Whenever that is.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Nor are there Mk48 ADCAPs in the Canadian inventory (yet).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

compressioncut posted:

Nor are there Mk48 ADCAPs in the Canadian inventory (yet).

:ughh:

So we have submarines that can't sail, and no weapons for said submarines.

Do they have harpoon-launch capability?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

They did when we bought them.

(Not anymore)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

We're going old school: Ramming! :black101:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

MA-Horus posted:

A major part of the saga of these things has been "Canadianization," which is always a nightmare no matter the platform being Canadianized. It was supposed to save money but obviously didn't - they're now trying to sell the subs as the an interim platform between the O-boats and the next gen sub.

But, the sub service has always been a bastard child of the navy and whether there's a next gen sub at all is a very open question. That's life in the navy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

drat, you canadians seem to have an almost norwegian-esque way of running your armed forces.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
So when I applied, I put down MARS as my only trade choice. In my 1 year in so far, I've only met one person with a positive thing to say about the trade. My contract is to 2020. Yay! :suicide:

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Drama Llama posted:

So when I applied, I put down MARS as my only trade choice. In my 1 year in so far, I've only met one person with a positive thing to say about the trade. My contract is to 2020. Yay! :suicide:

Well, some people like it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Drama Llama posted:

Wait, you can sign up in the Canadian Forces for 10 years? Whoa.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."

Slippery posted:

Wait, you can sign up in the Canadian Forces for 10 years? Whoa.

Even longer if you do ROTP for Air Nav or Pilot.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Drama Llama posted:

The problem with MARS in my mind is that really your only career goal is to command a ship. That makes a dog-eat-dog, highly politicized environment because very few actually end up doing it. It's hard to be successful and not be an rear end in a top hat.

That said, I know some successful, socially well adjusted MARS types. The current commander of the Haiti task force was my first XO, and he was great. We had an excellent performing ship and also had a shitload of fun. He went from Lt(N) to Capt(N) in a very short time.

A close in-law of mine is a retired Vice-CDS (and Vice Admiral) and he's a very decent, extremely smart man. I've also had a reasonable number of pretty good divisional officers. No need to kill yourself.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I'm really trying to look for alternatives to being a MARS officer while still being an officer.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Lt. Jebus posted:

Well, some people like it.

Actually as of right now one person likes it. Some implies more then one....

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
For anyone who plays Battlefield 2 there is a mod called Project Reality mod. On Feb 5th they will be adding the Canadian Forces. Anyone who own battlefield 2 and does not play this mod is missing out.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Fraser CDN posted:

For anyone who plays Battlefield 2 there is a mod called Project Reality mod. On Feb 5th they will be adding the Canadian Forces. Anyone who own battlefield 2 and does not play this mod is missing out.

Good luck having fun with the incredibly anal armchair warriors who populate that mod.

Does anyone have any experience in or with intel? I've been looking at it as a career out of university, any idea what the work is like and if there'd be an option of deployment?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Good luck having fun with the incredibly anal armchair warriors who populate that mod.

Does anyone have any experience in or with intel? I've been looking at it as a career out of university, any idea what the work is like and if there'd be an option of deployment?

Apparently it's backed up terribly at the moment.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Backed up as in a surplus of applicants?

e: If so, would it be worth it or would my chances be bettered if I were to DEO in infantry and apply to intel when spots open up?

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 2, 2010

RC Demoral
Feb 18, 2007
Hey all!

Another potential recruit chiming in. I was thinking of going DEO into pilot, air combat systems officer or intelligence officer. From internet forums I've found that becoming a pilot is next to impossible and that everything is basically closed off until March/april when the new fiscal year starts.

Anyone have experience with Intel? Any feedback? Any realistic chances of positions opening up?

Everytime I go into the recruiting office the guy doesn't even stand up from behind his desk, and answers all my questions with "it's on the web site" and I'm in and out within 3 minutes... I guess they've filled their quota for the next year. Or four.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
What's it like to be a vehicle technician in the Canadian military?

This:

http://www.forces.ca/html/vehicletechnician_reg_en.aspx

I was thinking it'd be really cool, but it might just be boring mundane poo poo that you don't hear about.

I'm thinking of getting into the mechanical trade of things, and I want to add the "Served in the military" to my life's portfolio. What do ya think?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MrZig posted:

What's it like to be a vehicle technician in the Canadian military?

This:

http://www.forces.ca/html/vehicletechnician_reg_en.aspx

I was thinking it'd be really cool, but it might just be boring mundane poo poo that you don't hear about.

I'm thinking of getting into the mechanical trade of things, and I want to add the "Served in the military" to my life's portfolio. What do ya think?

From the veh-techs I've talked to it does seem rather mundane and boring, but everyone says that about their trade, so take that with a grain of salt. I will say that from the vehicles maintenance I've had to do (which is quite a bit, being in the armoured corps) the official standards are retardedly and often unnecessarily exacting, which creates a lot of pointless boring work.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Mr.48 posted:

From the veh-techs I've talked to it does seem rather mundane and boring, but everyone says that about their trade, so take that with a grain of salt. I will say that from the vehicles maintenance I've had to do (which is quite a bit, being in the armoured corps) the official standards are retardedly and often unnecessarily exacting, which creates a lot of pointless boring work.

I wonder if it's comparable to the civilian trade side of things? I'm sure it'd be pretty beneficiary to a resume.

Who's best to talk to about this, will a recruiter just fill my head with pointless over-promising lies?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MrZig posted:

I wonder if it's comparable to the civilian trade side of things? I'm sure it'd be pretty beneficiary to a resume.

Who's best to talk to about this, will a recruiter just fill my head with pointless over-promising lies?

Oh yeah, having CF on your resume is always good, and I'm sure the skills you learn as a veh-tech will be applicable civvie-side. Just saying it probably isnt the most exciting of trades.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MrZig posted:

If you are talking about VT's that work for the CF I hear it's an easy job. They work on the same vehicles as a CF VT would and they don't deal with some of the pointless crap a CF VT would deal with.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Fraser CDN posted:

If you are talking about VT's that work for the CF I hear it's an easy job. They work on the same vehicles as a CF VT would and they don't deal with some of the pointless crap a CF VT would deal with.

Nah I was thinking starting in the military and getting their training. Then going over to a commercial transport mechanic after I get out of the CF would be.. easier, probably.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

RC Demoral posted:

Hey all!

Another potential recruit chiming in. I was thinking of going DEO into pilot, air combat systems officer or intelligence officer. From internet forums I've found that becoming a pilot is next to impossible and that everything is basically closed off until March/april when the new fiscal year starts.

Anyone have experience with Intel? Any feedback? Any realistic chances of positions opening up?

Everytime I go into the recruiting office the guy doesn't even stand up from behind his desk, and answers all my questions with "it's on the web site" and I'm in and out within 3 minutes... I guess they've filled their quota for the next year. Or four.

Why do you think pilot is next to impossible? It's very hard but if you want it, surely it's worth trying? Pilot is one of the biggest, in terms of numbers, officer MOCs and there are hundreds (200+) of billets vacant. That doesn't mean the entry standards are relaxed but it's no issue for you to put it as one of your choices - there are spots for three on your application. There's still a lot of luck involved, and your particular set of skills and qualifications might bump you up. Your interview is also worth a lot.

I've applied, passed selection, and am awaiting final word. I encourage anyone who wants it to give it a shot.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

thewheelsteve posted:

I hate LSVWs so much

I'm a reservist Sig Op in training, I'll be going on my trade course in May.

Where at? I'll be at CFB Wainwright for mine, which is technically in May (starts May 31 :v: )

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Where at? I'll be at CFB Wainwright for mine, which is technically in May (starts May 31 :v: )

You poor, poor son of a bitch.

Words do not describe the level of pity I feel for you.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
As a lazy-rear end 'murican civilian, I'm curious to know what the Canadian Army's Fat Camp is like. What's the weekly routine that they use to get recruits into such good shape that they can pass boot camp with little to no problems?

Maybe I can adopt said routine and get my rear end back into gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Butt Savage posted:

As a lazy-rear end 'murican civilian, I'm curious to know what the Canadian Army's Fat Camp is like. What's the weekly routine that they use to get recruits into such good shape that they can pass boot camp with little to no problems?

Maybe I can adopt said routine and get my rear end back into gear.

Lots of running. Running until your feet fall off.

I did my basic on a co-op course. I went from being out of breath after 100 meters to being able to jog 15k in one go within 4 months. I also dropped 50+ pounds.