Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

Lots of running. Running until your feet fall off.

I did my basic on a co-op course. I went from being out of breath after 100 meters to being able to jog 15k in one go within 4 months. I also dropped 50+ pounds.

Same,I ran 13km within 4 months of starting basic. I dropped about 40 pounds in basic/ battle school.

Butt Savage posted:

As a lazy-rear end 'murican civilian, I'm curious to know what the Canadian Army's Fat Camp is like. What's the weekly routine that they use to get recruits into such good shape that they can pass boot camp with little to no problems?

Maybe I can adopt said routine and get my rear end back into gear.

If you want to join up just run a lot and go on long walks. Once the walks get easier get a backpack and put some weight in it. Also make sure you do push ups. A lot of people fail their push ups and get sent home in basic.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Yeah, don't be that guy that can't even crack off the 4(!) minimum required to continue training at the first expres test.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

just took my CFAT today. apparently I did really well and there was only a few jobs I wasn't eligible for. I'm looking into signal operator right now for what to apply for. My recruiting center had one and from what he said about it, and what was on the info sheet about it, it seems like I would likely enjoy it. Any goons here a signal operator or know more about them?

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
I'm an MOTP doing my first expres test in a couple of weeks, hopefully it shouldn't be too bad? I was hoping to go do basic this summer but my summer is too short that I can't even fit in with the shortened schedule that they do for Meds/Dents :( I really wanted to get my rear end kicked into gear.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

You poor, poor son of a bitch.

Words do not describe the level of pity I feel for you.

At least it's not Shilo, right?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I am now Snowmobile qualified. Next week I will be ATV qualified.

Those two are some pretty sweet courses. We changed the course. It was originally only supposed to be a day, but we made it a four day course. All driving, of course.

Word of the day? Course, but of course.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I can't believe we have a fat camp in basic now. Considering that our infantry is closed you'd think we'd be a little bit more picky. Christ.

On a different note, anyone here go to Ft. Irwin, CA this month? loving blows.

Also if anyone has any questions about Canadian snipers I've been qualified for about three years and operated overseas as one. If you are wondering how you become one, you've gotta be a fit, independently-thinking, quality soldier without an ego and someone higher in the chain of command's gotta recommend you.

acumen fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 6, 2010

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Fraser CDN posted:

quotes and stuff :words:

Hmm...I guess I'll have to get some nice running shoes and run until my feet fall off. And do tons of push ups.

I thought it would be something a bit different, but if that's pretty much it then I'll go ahead and do it anyway.

Oh, and I'm American, not Canadian. :shobon: I can't join the Canuckistani army. I was just curious about their fat camp. Thanks, guys.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

acumen posted:

Also if anyone has any questions about Canadian snipers I've been qualified for about three years and operated overseas as one. If you are wondering how you become one, you've gotta be a fit, independently-thinking, quality soldier without an ego and someone higher in the chain of command's gotta recommend you.

Do you have to have really, absurdly great scores in marksmanship, or do they just take soldiers who are as you stated above?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Do you have to have really, absurdly great scores in marksmanship, or do they just take soldiers who are as you stated above?

Nope, shooting is the easy part. Rifles pretty much shoot themselves, and after several thousand rounds through them like on the course, it's pretty poo poo simple. All the other stuff is the important part. It's quite simply a "boys club", and if you're a douche or you cry when you're wet and cold then you're hosed.

VV Chances are he was full of poo poo.

acumen fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 6, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I had a Sgt in basic who was a master sniper and he told us he broke records that were thought to be impossible. I remember when I first arrived he pretended to be gay to gently caress with out minds.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

acumen posted:

...and if you're a douche or you cry when you're wet and cold then you're hosed.

Is this like a common occurrence or something

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Is this like a common occurrence or something

Not literally cry, I'd expect. But whine, for sure. I suppose whining is no good.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Not literally cry, I'd expect. But whine, for sure. I suppose whining is no good.

Can I still bitch about the officers that I'm cold and wet thanks to?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

acumen posted:

I can't believe we have a fat camp in basic now. Considering that our infantry is closed you'd think we'd be a little bit more picky. Christ.

On a different note, anyone here go to Ft. Irwin, CA this month? loving blows.

Are in 2RCR? I'm in Recce and the sniper course they ran in the summer they just selected a bunch of people that had basic recce. To make sniper platoon they chose a few soldiers from the course. Hell, the top candidate on the course is still in Recce as our Warrant wouldn't let him leave to Snipers. As far as I know, nothing about being recommended by higher in the chain, or anything like that.

I can't try out for snipers because of my lovely eyesight, I believe.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Hizawk posted:

Are in 2RCR? I'm in Recce and the sniper course they ran in the summer they just selected a bunch of people that had basic recce. To make sniper platoon they chose a few soldiers from the course. Hell, the top candidate on the course is still in Recce as our Warrant wouldn't let him leave to Snipers. As far as I know, nothing about being recommended by higher in the chain, or anything like that.

I can't try out for snipers because of my lovely eyesight, I believe.

I'm in 3RCR. By chain of command I meant mainly the MCpls/Sgts in charge of the sniper platoon. And yeah, basic recce is essentially sniper selection.

As far as the eyes, I had a V4 (I think V1 is perfect, V5 is blind?) for all my training and was told I wasn't even supposed to be in the infantry, although it seems like they just forgot about it. I needed laser eye surgery to go overseas but it didn't impede sniper course at all.

Mr.48 posted:

I bitch all the time, and I didn't mean "cry" literally. I've seen a lot of guys shut down in the field and while I'm by no means an amazing soldier or anything, I was able to keep it together at least.

I'm going back to Ft. Irwin (I'm on R&R in Vegas right now :toot: ) today so if there's any more questions it'll be a while before I can respond.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Hah. Here's a fun one for you, acumen. Can I receive any of the sniper training as an officer, or is it NCM only?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Mr.48 posted:

I have 1 to thank. Its bad when staff are bitching to the DP1 students about how the officer is making them do this and they just want to go back to the FOB. Half way through I took off my snow shoe's to set up the 10 man tent ( we were pull poling for 5 hours) and sunk up to my waist in snow, then I felt the cold water. Worst week of my life.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

acumen posted:

As far as the eyes, I had a V4 (I think V1 is perfect, V5 is blind?) for all my training and was told I wasn't even supposed to be in the infantry, although it seems like they just forgot about it. I needed laser eye surgery to go overseas but it didn't impede sniper course at all.

Yeah all operator trades (infantry included) are generally V3-required, but it's not all that strictly enforced after your entry medical. The standards also changed recently (2007 I believe), and a lot of people who were previously V3 are now V4 so it gets overlooked a lot. The upside is that it makes it easy to avoid the submarine press gang.

I'm still surprised you trained as a sniper with eyes like that, pretty cool.

I don't think there's a V5 category, the "5" usually means not assessed, like what most people have for an air factor.

Everything you wanted to know about vision standards but were afraid to ask...

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

Stop being all frozen and shit, Hector. I mean, Jesus.
I'm in the USAF right now, but there is a good chance I'll be moving to Canada in the next four years. Should I be interested in joining the military in your fine socialized nation, will I be able to retain my mediocre rank or some facsimile thereof?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

DefenseSupportParty posted:

I'm in the USAF right now, but there is a good chance I'll be moving to Canada in the next four years. Should I be interested in joining the military in your fine socialized nation, will I be able to retain my mediocre rank or some facsimile thereof?

Probably not. I know there is a program where Officers (and senior non-commisioned) can move about the commonwealth and keep their rank (Australia in particular are head hunting Sub officers HARD), but I don't think it applies to the good old US of A.

If you are doing a job that is directly applicable to a job we have in Canada you can get some credit for your time in the states by joining as "semi-skilled" and you can skip some courses. The only way to know for sure is talk to a recruiter.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

I dont think you'd get to "keep" your rank, but if you go into a high-demand technical trade they sometimes give rank incentives anyways.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

I know of a a few that came over from France and the UK. They both retained their ranks of MWO and WO respectively. Mind you they were both infantry which isn't really the most technical of trades.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Anyone know anything about MOTP? I'm one of those premed types, and I'm deciding whether to apply to MOTP when the time comes. In particular I'm curious what their basic training would be like, especially compared to the infantry stuff I've already done, and what it's like being a GP on a CF base somewhere. My local recruiting office didn't seem too well versed on the nuances of the program beyond the basics, so I was hoping someone with real experience on it or second-hand experience could comment.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
When I was at St-Jean, there was a special platoon of 20-25ish candidates that were all medical/dental/other health? officers. They still did the course, but from what I could tell it was a little more lenient than say a regular BMOQ with combat arms types and everyone else. Possibly shorter too?

Some of them even got to wear Captain epaulets on their CADPAT, and talking to one of them in the mess line she said that the regular OCdts. in their platoon were supposed to call them sir/ma'am. :psyduck:

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
Med/Dent MOTP members start out at 2nd Lt. if they're medical/dental students. There could be captains that are direct entry doctors/dentists perhaps? We do two shorter 7 week basic programs to fit in with our shorter summers. I just found out that I'm not going to be able to go to basic this summer because my summer is STILL too short for that with holiday time off. For part of my recruitment process it was necessary to talk to a GP on base, so if you get far enough along in the process you should be encouraged to do so. I don't know about the training yet but yeah, non-MOTP seem to think that it's easier than regular basic, which is too bad because I want to get my rear end kicked the same as everyone else.

I'm a first year MOTP student so I can't answer much really but I can try to tell you what I know about the program if you have other questions.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Doctors and dentists get an immediate commission as majors in norway. :o

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Fraser CDN posted:

Same,I ran 13km within 4 months of starting basic. I dropped about 40 pounds in basic/ battle school.

If you want to join up just run a lot and go on long walks. Once the walks get easier get a backpack and put some weight in it. Also make sure you do push ups. A lot of people fail their push ups and get sent home in basic.

Currently I'm putting in 6 - 7 km a day on my treadmill, running 4:30 minutes/kilometer, and I'd like to think I'm in decent shape. Having said that, what are the runs like in basic? Should I start upping my distances to get ready for basic or will I be fine just running middle distances like that?

Also, how many push ups should you be able to do? I can do around 30 full nose touching the ground push ups, should I really start working on that or what?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Currently I'm putting in 6 - 7 km a day on my treadmill, running 4:30 minutes/kilometer, and I'd like to think I'm in decent shape. Having said that, what are the runs like in basic? Should I start upping my distances to get ready for basic or will I be fine just running middle distances like that?

Also, how many push ups should you be able to do? I can do around 30 full nose touching the ground push ups, should I really start working on that or what?

Your distance is fine. The furthest run in basic was a 6km. The only problem is its a treadmill. Either run outside or put the incline up. The runs in basic are easy, you run a km do some push ups or other workouts, then run some more. With push ups it depends who does the test for you. I did 40 push ups and only got credited for 30. If you can do 30 proper ones you will be fine. Just keep upping your distances and reps because the more work you do now the easier it will be then.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Fraser CDN posted:

Your distance is fine. The furthest run in basic was a 6km. The only problem is its a treadmill. Either run outside or put the incline up. The runs in basic are easy, you run a km do some push ups or other workouts, then run some more. With push ups it depends who does the test for you. I did 40 push ups and only got credited for 30. If you can do 30 proper ones you will be fine. Just keep upping your distances and reps because the more work you do now the easier it will be then.

Yeah I normally run outside when it's warmer out, I did the Rattle Me Bones 10k last spring, and the ING 10k last summer. Winter is just my lazy period since I don't play any winter sports/I'm too much of a sissy to run outside. My 10k time is around 45 - 50 depending on how I'm feeling that day.

Man, I'm really surprised that the runs are so short in basic. I guess the main challenge is the ruck-marches?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Yeah I normally run outside when it's warmer out, I did the Rattle Me Bones 10k last spring, and the ING 10k last summer. Winter is just my lazy period since I don't play any winter sports/I'm too much of a sissy to run outside. My 10k time is around 45 - 50 depending on how I'm feeling that day.

Man, I'm really surprised that the runs are so short in basic. I guess the main challenge is the ruck-marches?

It all depends on what body type you have. Some people can ruck really well and some can't. You seem to do a lot of PT so you should be fine for that part of basic.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 8, 2010

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
A word about ruck-marches: Loosen up the tops of your boots. Some instructors tell you to always wear your boots as tight as possible but it quite often gives people shin-splints on ruck marches. And if like me you get really bad shin splints just pop some ibuprofen containing painkiller like Advil before you start out, and you'll be ok.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Samu posted:

Keep this in mind: During Basic, you are quite literally running alongside forty year old mothers.

And in infantry battle school we had a forty two year old man graduate as an infanteer.

The ruck marches in basic are also a joke. You don't even have ruck buddies (sand bags), and Basic training (at least in St. Jean) forbid the instructors from doing any PT running in combat boots. It's all in your head, man. Even the *BIGHUGE SCARY* 13km march you do in week 9 or whatever is a two hour walk. It's all mindgames to psych yourself out. Just shut off your mind and do left food right foot left foot right foot or whatever you need to do to pass the time. It's not a brutal march.

If you have any halfway decent instructors, they will tell you the following for rucksack marches:

1) As already said, boot laces being loosened is top priority
2) Kit the gently caress down. If your doing a winter march in negative 20 weather, guess what, just wear your combats. You will heat like crazy if you wear thermals, heavy gloves and a toque on the march. You are a loving idiot if you wear your combat ice jacket on one. Just wear your combats and a normal T shirt. Even in negative twenty. Trust me.
3) If you have problems holding the c7 (c9, c6 in SQ / DP1), stuff the pocket on the left on your tacvest with poo poo so you can rest your forearm on it. A few of the girls did this and it worked out great for them to hold the rifle.
4) It's a ruckmarch. You ain't fighting. Use your sling. Make one out of 550 cord and attach to to your tacvest because the ones they give you in basic are junk.
5) Drink tons of water. All the time. You should be doing this anyways. Don't be one of the idiots that falls out due to dehydration. It's a serious condition, and it happens all the time. Doubly so in the winter.

Hizawk fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 8, 2010

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
So uh, I guess some Air Force L.Col is looking at a promotion to commander of CFB Trenton...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100208/lloyd_police_national_100208/20100208?hub=TopStoriesV2

:psyboom:

Drama Llama fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 8, 2010

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Drama Llama posted:

So uh, I guess some Air Force L.Col is looking at a promotion to commander of CFB Trenton...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100208/lloyd_police_national_100208/20100208?hub=TopStoriesV2

:psyboom:

Ouch. Its like something out of NCIS (only, airforce)

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Hizawk posted:

If you have any halfway decent instructors, they will tell you the following for rucksack marches:

2) Kit the gently caress down. If your doing a winter march in negative 20 weather, guess what, just wear your combats. You will heat like crazy if you wear thermals, heavy gloves and a toque on the march. You are a loving idiot if you wear your combat ice jacket on one. Just wear your combats and a normal T shirt. Even in negative twenty. Trust me.

I was on a winter DP1. When we would do rucks it was always ( for me) Green shirt, thermal and Parka outer. I froze my rear end off before the rucks, but when we got to our end area I was dry and warm.

What DP1 course were you on. I think I remember someone in their 40's graduating. Around December 2008.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 9, 2010

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Fraser CDN posted:

I was on a winter DP1. When we would do rucks it was always ( for me) Green shirt, thermal and Parka outer. I froze my rear end off before the rucks, but when we got to our end area I was dry and warm.

What DP1 course were you on. I think I remember someone in their 40's graduating. Around December 2008.

That was us graduating Jan 09. Dp1 004(0?) Paschendale Platoon.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Hizawk posted:

That was us graduating Jan 09. Dp1 004(0?) Paschendale Platoon.

Wow small world, I was GD for DP1 0040 for 3 weeks. During the ranges. I was on DP1 41.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 9, 2010

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I feel like I should know the answer to this, but if I do, it is slipping my mind right now.

How are secondary specializations assigned to officers? I feel like it would be pretty engaging to be a weapons control officer on a ship, but I highly doubt I'd be a very good dive officer.

Are they delegated? Do you apply? Do you just select on a form which stream you're going to go through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Something like dive officer is normally a straight up volunteer position, but there would be any number of assigned secondary duties you could be holding as a junior officer, like CSD (classified books) custodian, education officer, sports officer, and so on. Everyone has secondary duties they generally don't like but still get reflected on your PER.