Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Looking for a bit more advice. As I mentioned, I'm an enlisted reservist in my regiment. At one point I had an interview with someone from elsewhere in the CF, a sort of counselor, and she recommended to me that I'd have a better shot at MOTP if I were already an officer. That seems to be the case, given what I've read here. She seemed keen on getting me to go officer regardless, as a matter of fact, even asking me about my personality and remarking how there are a lot of officers "just like me".

What I'm curious about is the process of going from enlisted to officer within the same regiment. Has anyone ever made such a transition? Furthermore, how does reserve infantry officer training stack up against reserve infantry soldier training?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

Stop being all frozen and shit, Hector. I mean, Jesus.
There is one canadian guy at work called Sgt Levar. I'm wondering if you guys have heard of his (I imagine there are only like 20 people in your military,) and if you have I will say hi to him! He is so nice and occasionally says 'Eh' when I ask him to! :)

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

DefenseSupportParty posted:

There is one canadian guy at work called Sgt Levar. I'm wondering if you guys have heard of his (I imagine there are only like 20 people in your military,) and if you have I will say hi to him! He is so nice and occasionally says 'Eh' when I ask him to! :)

What trade and what regiment?

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

Fraser CDN posted:

What trade and what regiment?

Uh.... yes!

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Uh.... yes!

Ill put this in American.... Whut MOS yeu Be. Whats bees your unit.:patriot:

Just ask him what his trade is and what his regiments name is.

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

Fraser CDN posted:

Ill put this in American.... Whut MOS yeu Be. Whats bees your unit.:patriot:

Just ask him what his trade is and what his regiments name is.

I'll totally ask him tomorrow. I hope you know him; he has a moustache, so I know he's awesome and I know he isn't supporting organic food and I would hate him if he did :colbert:`

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

I'll totally ask him tomorrow. I hope you know him; he has a moustache, so I know he's awesome and I know he isn't supporting organic food and I would hate him if he did :colbert:`

I know the Canadian Forces is small compared to the US Forces. But that is like people asking me if I know Bob and Mary from Canada. Someone might know him. I don't think I do. Since he is in the US he is probably a tec trade.

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

Fraser CDN posted:

I know the Canadian Forces is small compared to the US Forces. But that is like people asking me if I know Bob and Mary from Canada. Someone might know him. I don't think I do. Since he is in the US he is probably a tec trade.

OMG how do you know Bob and Mary?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

OMG how do you know Bob and Mary?

I met them at a hockey game while eating poutin and a moose/beaver meat sandwich on French Bread. Celine Dion sung the national anthem, in French and English of course.

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Fraser CDN posted:

I met them at a hockey game while eating poutin and a moose/beaver meat sandwich on French Bread. Celine Dion sung the national anthem, in French and English of course.

That's quite the coincidence; I had Bob and Mary over at my igloo just the other day...

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
gently caress Bob and Mary, they ran over my pet beaver and dint even stop. I'm gonna set my polar bear on them if I ever see them near my igloo again. Moose.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
At least you guys still have snow. My igloo's melting thanks to all this global warming poo poo.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

At least you guys still have snow. My igloo's melting thanks to all this global warming poo poo.

I'm thinking ahead and investing in patio furniture.

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

You canadians are so good natured I would like to be friends with you :shobon:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DSP, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "what" and 10 is "OMG", how high do you rate the importance of military facial hair

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

Biplane posted:

DSP, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "what" and 10 is "OMG", how high do you rate the importance of military facial hair

I would put it in the 20s.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Rank in the military should be given based on who has the manliest facial hair.
Wanna trim your beard? then your demoted back to lieutenant. This applies to women as well.

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

LemonAIDS posted:

Rank in the military should be given based on who has the manliest facial hair.
Wanna trim your beard? then your demoted back to lieutenant. This applies to women as well.

If I grow my beard out I look like Thor. Can I command your military?

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

only if it has those awesome viking style braids.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

If I grow my beard out I look like Thor. Can I command your military?

This might sound very iconic Canadian but Canada's Army use to have Pioneers that upon qualifying were allowed to grow beards. If you have ever seen the demotivational picture with Canadian Lumberjacks, its actually real. :canada:

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

LemonAIDS posted:

only if it has those awesome viking style braids.

I can do this. Please commission me now.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Fraser CDN posted:

This might sound very iconic Canadian but Canada's Army use to have Pioneers that upon qualifying were allowed to grow beards. If you have ever seen the demotivational picture with Canadian Lumberjacks, its actually real. :canada:

Oh sure, mention the beard growing, and neglect the fact that their regimental uniform included an apron and a big fuckoff axe.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Oh sure, mention the beard growing, and neglect the fact that their regimental uniform included an apron and a big fuckoff axe.

Wow I didn't even know that. HAHAHAHA

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

screw those dinky combat knives, we should get loving battleaxes!:black101:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Simkin posted:

That owns so hard.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Aw, man. Filling out Parade Exemption forms sucks.

because I'll be in the Caribbean this week

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

When did we get rid of the Pioneers?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Drama Llama posted:

So uh, I guess some Air Force L.Col is looking at a promotion to commander of CFB Trenton...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100208/lloyd_police_national_100208/20100208?hub=TopStoriesV2

:psyboom:

Jesus Christ, Canada.

Is that the highest ranking officer ever accused of something like this? Because I'm drawing a blank on anything comparable in the US or Canada.

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Hagetaka posted:

Jesus Christ, Canada.

Is that the highest ranking officer ever accused of something like this? Because I'm drawing a blank on anything comparable in the US or Canada.

Well, that's the Air Force for you...

my pet monster
Sep 22, 2008

and sometimes when you fall, you fly
Welp, I just got sworn in yesterday. When do I get my battle axe?

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

my pet monster posted:

I believe if you get a kid's meal at your local Tim Horton's and present your orders they do that there.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

my pet monster posted:

When are you leaving for basic. Are you reg or reserve? Last time I called the recruiters (2-3 weeks ago) they said every trade is closed till April and they arnt recruiting anyone else. I tried to call this week but got bussy or no answer.

I believe if you get a kid's meal at your local Tim Horton's and present your orders they do that there.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I am considering the Direct Entry Officer plan.
Please talk me out of it.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I laughed really hard at this. Holy poo poo.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

Dont do it. :effort:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

Dont do it. :effort:

That's not a very compelling argument. Maybe I'll just go ahead and do the opposite. :colbert:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

That's not a very compelling argument. Maybe I'll just go ahead and do the opposite. :colbert:

Think of the children?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Mr.48 posted:

Think of the children?

More like think of the enlisted

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

SpaceMost posted:

Well, I can't, since I'm in it, and I don't hate my life too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my pet monster
Sep 22, 2008

and sometimes when you fall, you fly

Fraser CDN posted:

When are you leaving for basic. Are you reg or reserve? Last time I called the recruiters (2-3 weeks ago) they said every trade is closed till April and they arnt recruiting anyone else. I tried to call this week but got bussy or no answer.

They are closed til April, my friend who applied at the same time that I did [beginning of September 2009] has her file on hold until April. I am going reg. as a SigOp. Leave for BMQ in St. Jean Feb. 27th and start officially March 1st.