Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There's enough Canucks on this forum for a thread of our own. gently caress the US Coasties have one, why shouldn't we?

Though in true CF fashion this should be posted using the really old-school BB sofware with one of those modems you had to put the phone receiver on.

Feel free to rant, rave and discuss the present, past and Future of Her Majesty's Canadian Navy, Army and Air Force.

I went to go visit my old Reserves unit last week and there's 30 people on paper for that battery, and 6 people were in attendance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

dancin pete posted:

CF Combat Engineer goon here.

Been in for 7 years now and after spending 6 of them in Petawawa this town still sucks. Why I didn't choose Edmonton I'll never know.

Also, drat those slick recruiters for making me think that searching for mines and IED's would be cool.

HahahaHAHAHA Pet

Also, R031 (Artilleryman) and R836 (RMS Clerk) when my vision fault was found.

I still state to this day that Wainwright is the rear end in a top hat of all humanity.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Do Rangers have computers?

Just kidding. I've met a few, and they are tough, resourceful SOBs.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ok

After hearing from some other dudes that aren't getting loving COMBAT BOOTS issued to them because there aren't any in stock, I'd like to hear some of your logistics nightmares, just for fun. I don't think OPSEC really applies to most of these.

For EX Maple Defender in 2007, I was working as the Ammo driver for the battery. When I get there, we first find out;

1) Most of our kit hasn't arrived (This was mostly Westjet's issue, couldn't fit our duffles/rucks all onto 1 737. And Wainwright, even in the middle of loving August, was in the minuses in the middle of the night. So we were all sharing snivel gear to try and stay warm

2) The entire ex seemed to have completely forgotten about the artillery. We start drawing our kit on the 2nd day, and find...we have no guns. We're told we might have them...by the 2nd day of the ex.

3) There weren't enough IMPs, and wasn't enough water. Ex organizers had to go to the nearest Costco in Edmonton and buy pallets of bottled water.

4) We were so undermanned that drivers had to pull sentry watch, and not first/last shift, 2 shifts throughout the night. This is a huge loving no-no, and was promptly told to shut the gently caress up when I brought up that I was hauling bullets. When the Adj's driver ran off the road due to sleep deprivation, they changed their tune.

We flew half-way across the loving country for absolutely no benefit. No dismounted patrols. No attacks on our position with the MILES gear. No artillery/mortar attacks, which would have made swapping out the batteries twice a day on the drat gear worth it.

The most action we saw was when range patrol drove onto our position. Because they forgot where we were. A complete and utter clusterfuck in every way.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

Are future troops legit here? I'm joining up in September, maybe earlier. Anything I should expect aside from clusterfucks everywhere?

Start running. And doing pushups, starting now. Make your life much, much, much easier.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I don't get the "Not issuing combat boots" thing

What the gently caress do you wear with your cadpat? Running shoes?

"GO DO A SECTION ATTACK. I DON'T CARE THAT YOU'RE WEARING SHOWER THONGS."

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah I picked the surplus icon when I made the thread, because it seemed to fit the general theme of the CF. Making do. Like the MKIII combat boot, the one the British army tested and rejected due to poo poo ankle support, but was issued for over 10 loving years.

or the Bombardier built Iltis or LSVW. I mean, I love the Iltis, it's a hilarious little vehicle, but totally useless. And the LS is completely loving awful.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I liked my MKIII's for field use, mainly because I had a pair from when I was a cadet (lol) that were so worn in and comfortable that I could wear them comfortably in any situation.

Except Meaford. Those were Goretex rain or shine (because if you were expecting rain, it would shine, and vice versa).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

swagger like us posted:

as for the squeeling, its because the brake pads are steel or some dumb poo poo like that because it was cheaper, atleast thats what i heard on my LS course. i loving love the LS's horn, so goddamn cheesy and awesome.

Fuel Fired Coolant Heater.

Say this 10 times fast.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Well there's at least 1 opening for a RMS Clerk somewhere. Turned in my ID card today, out-clearance docket in the works.

2003-2009 :canada:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Arty goon checking in

Just to rub it in, the cad pat rain gear breathes and is awesome in the summer. Also the new rucksacks are way better than the '64 patterns. You proably just sucked at bending the back supports

Ubique, gunner.

Only rain gear I ever got was that rubberized poo poo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Well, it all depends on what you're doing. Pay is done in days or half-days. I believe a Private-0 makes around 70 per day. When I retired as a Corporal-3 I was up to around 130 per day. It's pretty good.

Hours...well, as a reservist, you're doing 1 half-day per week, one weekend (friday-sunday) per month in the field usually. You might be able to pick up some days here 'n there doing odd-jobs.

You also have summer training for further qualifications. Anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Anyone know much about the Image Tech trade? I'm looking at applying for that, since I have applicable education, but the recruiter said it's hyper-competitive to get in with guys trying to remuster in from all over.

The info on forces.ca says Image Techs operate with all arms of service, so does that mean they can be stationed anywhere, or is it just a "you're getting loaned out from Cold Lake" kind of thing?

It usually means that you go where you're needed. The beauty of the CF is that since we're all integrated it's not rare to see Air Force working for Navy, or Navy working for Army. For example, one of the trainers on my Clerk quals was an Air Force sergeant, and I worked with a few Navy Petty Officers as well.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

So it looks like our government has decided an official response to the Haitian earthquake

We're sending HMCS Halifax, HMCS Athabaskan, a C-17 and our DART team, along with a bunch of cashola and supplies.

Poor bastards are gonna need as much help as they can get. It looks like an utter catastrophe.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 15, 2010

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Lt. Jebus posted:

Something tells me you mean HMCS Halifax, unless someone went and raised the Huron from the bottom and didn't tell me.

Pretty sure they either left this morning or are leaving tonight. Didn't see them in the Dockyard today.

You're right. We're not sending a sunken destroyer, and I'm an idiot.

Though I can kind of see that happening

"Ok, we're dispatching the Huron"
"...Sir, she's not exactly...mission capable at the moment."
"WELL GET HER READY!"

*CF Spends millions raising her from the ocean, re-outfitting her*

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Simkin posted:

So is DART a td, or ...?

I doubt it. Not a group as specialized as those dudes.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Flanker posted:

Posting from KAF.

Can corporals get into this fat camp thing? Getting paid to work out sounds awesome. I am lazy an flabby as all hell. So I'm par for my trade E TENEBRIS LUX.

I miss being a ballistic locksmith, somedays I don't know why I VOT'd out of the infantry. At least I got another tour super fast.

I will probably go regs, I might change up trades again. Pondering reg force weapons tech or airframe tech.

Do you really want to be a weapons tech? Really? Fixing the guns that everyone breaks?

:downs: "I left my C7 on top of my LAV. It fell off and a Leo ran over it. Can you fix it?"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

Its sad but they probably did fix it. How bad of a jacking did you get for that?

gently caress, I've never done that. I've seen people do worse though.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Radulf posted:

For those who have gone through BMQ, would you recommend getting your own boots before shipping out?

Only if they're issued. You'll get smoked if you bring non-issued kit and try to wear it in uniform without permission.

Go to a surplus store, try to find a pair of well-worn (but not ugly) MKIII's if you can. It'll save you a lot of pain if you get a pair that are broken in already.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Why in the sweet hell would you want to be a Chaplain, they're nice, but useless.

Plus yes, you need to be ordained before getting into it, and you're an automatic Captain(Naval LT).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

2 Horse has a bit of a reputation as being dog-fuckers among artillery units. You load them equipment, don't expect it back. And if you do get it back, it's gonna be in poo poo-shape.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

thewheelsteve posted:

I hate LSVWs so much

I'm a reservist Sig Op in training, I'll be going on my trade course in May.

Everyone hates the LS. Gutless, screetchy, whiny, plasticy pieces of poo poo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

This is one of those "what the gently caress are you even thinking" questions, but what trade is most likely to get you placement on a sub? How thoroughly terrible is life on a Victoria-class?

It depends. Some people are easily swayed by the siren song of the sea.

Or the siren smell of diesel in a metal tube with faulty electrics.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I always thought it would be loving awesome to be a Fire Control officer on a sub. Jebus, do you know if any if our subs have ever live-fired a torpedo? From what I've heard, the ADCAP is a hugely amazing weapons system.

But I could never serve on a ship called the Windsor. gently caress Windsor.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

compressioncut posted:

Nor are there Mk48 ADCAPs in the Canadian inventory (yet).

:ughh:

So we have submarines that can't sail, and no weapons for said submarines.

Do they have harpoon-launch capability?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Good luck having fun with the incredibly anal armchair warriors who populate that mod.

Does anyone have any experience in or with intel? I've been looking at it as a career out of university, any idea what the work is like and if there'd be an option of deployment?

Apparently it's backed up terribly at the moment.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Where at? I'll be at CFB Wainwright for mine, which is technically in May (starts May 31 :v: )

You poor, poor son of a bitch.

Words do not describe the level of pity I feel for you.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Butt Savage posted:

As a lazy-rear end 'murican civilian, I'm curious to know what the Canadian Army's Fat Camp is like. What's the weekly routine that they use to get recruits into such good shape that they can pass boot camp with little to no problems?

Maybe I can adopt said routine and get my rear end back into gear.

Lots of running. Running until your feet fall off.

I did my basic on a co-op course. I went from being out of breath after 100 meters to being able to jog 15k in one go within 4 months. I also dropped 50+ pounds.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Is this like a common occurrence or something

Not literally cry, I'd expect. But whine, for sure. I suppose whining is no good.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

What have you people been doing to my thread?

Also, why is Col. Serial Killer apparently buddy-buddy with Paul Bernardo? How does someone get flagged for full-bird Colonel without someone realizing that they're a loving SERIAL KILLER

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

DefenseSupportParty posted:

I have been making your thread great with talk of Tim Hortons.

What do you know of Tim Hortons. You are American and live in a Mountain (At least that's what Stargate tells me)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

A buddy of mine just got back from that ex. He said it was god-awful. Except for Vegas.

So, sentiment echoed, I suppose.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Jeez, wasn't it but a few years ago that there were huge trouble getting people into the infantry?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Don't be an artillery officer. Our arty is in a bit of a poo poo state unless you're lucky enough to get assigned to a battery of M777's. You really don't wanna work with mortars, C3s or LG1s.

Mortars are annoying and heavy.
C3s are old, useless pigiron
LG1s are old, finnicky pigiron.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

As an artilleryman
Mortars kickass and a only heavy if you're in bad shape
C3s agreed
LG1s are pretty wicked actually. They arent that finnicky at all.

However Artillery officer is a thankless job, just like artillery NCM. Artillery sucks, which is why we are depressingly undermanned

Man you must have gotten some good ones. When I worked with 2RCHA their LG1s were constantly gumming up.

Not quite as bad as C3s though. And getting replacement parts for it are loving impossible, and repairs take FOREVER. We had a gun out of commission for 6 months + because some twat jammed a cam-pole down the barrel with a round still up the spout.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Sounds like you worked with a real winner. C3s are being phased out because they dont make parts for them anymore and we're running out. But I've had nothing even close to a problem with the LG1. That and the elevation and directional levers are so smooth

Not gonna lie I would join back up in an instant if they brought the paladins back into service.

But my regiment had to basically kick and scream to keep from getting assigned mortars because they are for chumps.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

They have their purpose, for sure. But they just don't have the range or the punch of a proper howitzer. They're great for close-in support, but I have problems with all of the reservists becoming nothing more than glorified infantrymen.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Christ did I ever get out at the right time. It sounds like there's no money for anything anymore.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

My friend is a SigOp and he hates it. Apparently they are really undermanned and never get any days off since officers/everyone always needs their comms. He also is pissed off that he only gets to practice shooting like once every 3 months.

Think of it this way: There's a hell of a lot of work.

Same thing for Clerks. Nobody wants to be one, so there's positions open everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

There is no way artillery is full. We are hurting for numbers so badly. However this is a reason we are hurt for people. It sucks rear end

Last time I went to visit my old battery, they had 6 troops on parade, and 4 SNCOs. They have 35+ on paper. It was pathetic.