Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mind you, I was also Reservist. If you're talking about Reg Forces, very good chance reg force arty is full.

It may just not SEEM like that because reservists often fill critical posts during deployments. Mainly the reason that my battery was empty, they had a dozen folks on deployment/predeployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My unit wouldn't even let me wear the goretex unless it was in the field. Not allowed in garrison. Which was dumb because my GP were a size and a half too drat big.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm serious, I have a pair of unused boots that I'm willing to send to someone who needs them, as not having a pair of loving boots for recruits is retarded.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I had the benefit(?) of being a cadet before joining the forces, so I know how to mirror-shine boots quite well. Parade gloss is poo poo. I had 3 sets of boots: One for garrison, one for parades, and one for the field. The ones I wore in the field I bought from a surplus store and they were so nice and broken in.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Thats a lie, I know a lot of people who have gotten in trouble due to their boots being lackluster. Also shiny parade boots look loving sharp, so.

Combat boots should NOT be shiny. They should be blackened, with a decent sheen to them. We are issued parade boots for a reason, and whoever gave poo poo on that is a loving pogue.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ah, Borden. Food is pretty good, as it's the home of CFSAL (Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics), AKA REMF/Pogue central. Pleasantly warm in summer, balls-cold in winter. Pretty close to Barrie and cottage country, so nice places to go on weekends.

There's plenty worse places than Borden to end up.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Borden is alright but theres poison ivy all over the loving place.

What are you doing WALKING ON THE GRASS YOU DON'T WALK ON THE GRASS THERE ARE SIDEWALKS FOR A REASON

...Sorry. Was channeling the base Sergeant Major for a second there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Junior ranks exist to walk on the grass.

Senior NCOs exist to scream at said junior ranks for walking on the grass.

Officers give no gently caress.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Thats not your grass, thats the Queen's grass!

WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU TO BE STEPPING ON THE QUEEN'S GRASS??!?!?!

I actually pulled that one once on a couple of private recruits, they were about to poo poo themselves until I started cracking up and laughing at their reactions.

Who the gently caress am I? The same one that doesn't have to salute the Queen when entering the mess, that's who. :smug:

Note: Arty doesn't have to do this because we're the Queen's preferred ground-force. True story.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Even during BMQ I've never even heard of this. Sounds like some crazy reservist rule to me

Whaaaaat? You didn't know that? Ask a Senior NCO. Commonwealth artillery doesn't have to salute the queen's portrait when entering a mess as the Royal Artillery is the Queen's regiment. I don't know if that applies to mortars because they are not really artillery.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the big defensive ex at the end of SQ.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

herman391 posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. Been talking to a few other people as well and I'm defiantly going to be keeping the forces in mind.

You should. It's a pretty good time. Until it's not a very good time, but how long that lasts depends on what you do, and where you do it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

I'm saying that I've never heard of/seen anyone salute the queen's picture, ever.

If there is a mess with the queen's portrait right across from the entryway (There's a SNCO mess in Owen Sound that does), All other regiments must salute before entering. Artillery does not.

And I agree. gently caress tent city. Yes, less cleaning, but more anal retentive cleaning. They always find SOMETHING to make you clean, even if it's "Take steel wool to your canteen cup and KFS to make them gleaaam" "But Sergeant they took our KFS away years ago" "I DON'T CARE CLEAN IT ANYWAYS"

I hate Meaford. So Much.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Simkin posted:

Ha. Who said anything about Meaford?

Nobody. I just felt like saying that I hate Meaford. Because I really, really, really hate Meaford.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Ugh..Meaford. How I LOATHED hearing that name when I get told where I'm going for a course, FTX (Up yours Petawawa Fire Index!), or for any reason whatsoever. The only saving grace is that everything there is in short walking distance and the food wasn't that bad.

I wish I had been on the Drivers course the year before I did mine, they had so many people they were super relaxed. Mine was dubbed 'Airborne Driver Wheel' for the amount of PT they had us do. And why the hell did they send people who didn't even have a full drivers license on the course? They're expected to be taught how to drive LS and MLs in a couple months when they can't even be trusted to drive their own cars without supervision?

Hmm..at least the weather was always usually nice when I was there. Guess the Weather Machine was down for maintenance, no waking up with snow on the ground and only summer kit on me.

OH MY GOD

I think we were on the same loving course. Did you get a shirt at the end that said something among the lines of "KM driven=500, KM Ran=550"

This would have been summer 2003.

And yeah gently caress those cocksucking instructors for log PT, and 3 hours of rack when doing driving training. I fell asleep at the wheel more than once, after my instructor racked the gently caress out too. I think a few of those instructors got charged with reckless endangerment afterwards.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Elgar posted:

Hey Fredericton is pretty nice. All the townies are used to Army dudes though. :(

You know the rule. If the girl you pick up promises to have you back to the shacks in time for PT, run the gently caress away.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Pffft in Gagetown theres no need to even leave the shacks for pussy of that quality level....Thats what shackrats are for! D-Line shacks ghetto represent.

I had to tell a girl last night that I was deeply sorry, but her 17 year old sister that was doing DP1 arty this summer was going to be hosed by at least 5 different dudes. No exceptions.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Here is an idea of why Arty is pretty bad.

I was recently in California on vacation. I was down in San Diego, ran into some Marines, one of which happened to be artillery.

The guns currently in use by CF reservists? Yeah, retired as DRILL guns by the Marines as they were too drat old. That is the CF.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fire Above posted:

Doubtful the reserves will even see the M-777 ever either. Man, arty reserve sounds like the best go ever.

Hahahahahaha

Oh god I'm dying over here. The reserves with front-line equipment, that'll be the loving day.

My regiment had to fight tooth and nail to keep our guns in the early 2000s, as a whole lot of reservist regements were getting re-equipped with Mortars. Which are stupid, useless things no matter what anyone tells you.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/05/18/a-soldiers-choice/

Anybody else read this? An infantry Captain is being tried for second degree murder after allegedly mercy killing a dying Taliban while out mentoring some ANA soldiers. He faces a minimum of life in jail with possibility of parole after 10.

It seems pretty clear that he did it, and it is a violation of the Geneva convention, but I can't honestly say I wouldn't have done the same thing in his position. The ANA were going to leave this guy behind instead of trying to administer aid, and the Canadians couldn't stop to medevac the dying man so the Captains options seemed to be leave the poor guy to suffer or put him out of his misery.

The Geneva convention doesn't really apply. It only applies in cases of declared war, as per the 1949 articles. If I were a prosecutor, basically the argument is this;

Taliban or not, that captain still killed a badly injured man. While that man was holding a weapon and firing, he was a combatant, and the Captain's job was to neutralize him. With the ability to defend himself removed, it becomes murder. Mercy killing is not excusable.

Not to say I wouldn't do it myself.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mantle posted:

I've been reading that Canadians can serve in the armed forces of any Commonwealth country.

Bullllllshit. The only way a Canadian could serve PRIMARILY in the armed forces of another nation is through dual citizenship. Officer/NCO exchanges do happen, as I've met Royal Artillery NCOs serving in Canadian units.

The Commonwealth doesn't mean as much as it used to.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

rossmum posted:

Canadian/British/Australian citizenship :c00l:

You have triple citizenship? That's peculiar.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ruse posted:

Navy NCIOp here, just got back on the 4th from Op Saiph ROTO 0 in the Gulf.

Saw your pics in the other thread. How's life on the Freddie?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

rotarybob posted:

Doing my Sig Op QL3 in Kingston right now. Three weeks out of four months down! :eng99:

It could always be worse. You could be on course in winter! I was born and raised in Kingston, thusly I am Mister Freeze.

That place gets loving cold.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

Anybody got any useful financial advice for when I start basic? I'm a dumb kid right out of high school and I have no idea what to do with the money I'll be making since prior to this I've lived at home and drank/clubbed away my lovely grocery store paychecks. I want to avoid making common mistakes that young junior enlisted make, and I was wondering if anyone could impart some wisdom.

I want to set money aside to go back to University when I'm done my enlistment, so I want to save up a good chunk of change that I can use 4 years from now. I don't have a car but I'll probably have to get one once I finish training. What's the smartest way to put money away/get a vehicle?

Initially, you will have more money than you know what to do with. What I recommend is setup something like an ING savings account with automatic withdraw from your checking account, so even if you do spend a hell of a lot on stupid poo poo (and you will), some still goes towards your future plans.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Jesus christ, 15 minutes of PT. I did a Co-Op basic, and we did 1 and a half to 2 hours per day.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ruse posted:

Thats if they dont send you to Borden for BMQ. They do that sometimes during the summer.

Pray to get posted to Borden. By far, one of the best bases in the CF.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

I'd rather go to St.Jean, it's closer to home and right next to Montreal.

Alright, either St.Jean or Borden. Borden is close to Barrie and cottage country. Spending your weekends at Wasaga Beach is balling.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

I'm more partial to Pet myself, a little further from major cities but the base itself is much nicer.

I do like Pet as well. White Water rafting on the loving ottawa, hooah! One raft for people, one raft for beer.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Lt. Jebus posted:

I assume you are ignoring Esquimalt, Halifax\Shearwater and Comox when you say " Best Base in the CF"

Or maybe best army base. :colbert:

Is it wrong while in shacks in Borden there was a Navy BMQ on the floor above me? And I enjoyed immensely listening to them get smoked endlessly?

I should. Fuckers got the cable cut off during the '04 Olympics. Goddamn squabbies.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

For the interview: Be honest. If you smoked weed in the past or poo poo, admit to it. They don't care if you did it in the past, as long as you don't do it now. They will know if you're lying.

They're not going to want you to work before basic. They might ask you to come in to pick up some kit, or do some paperwork, but basic is when your career starts.

About a signing bonus, the worst that can happen is they say no. So ask. That is a skilled trade you're going into, and I'm sure they're short on it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

WHO CHANGED MY GODDAMN THREAD TAG

Anyone done NBCD training recently? Are we using those 1-piece MOPP suits still? I still have mine, it's like a loving snowsuit.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Still the one piece and I hope your suit is in a bag because they don't have that long of a shelf life when they are opened

Oh gently caress no mine was a training suit. It wouldn't stop water. Or air.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

So since I joined in 2003, it went from TOPP, to MOPP, to DS. No, that's not confusing at all. Christ.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well we're never going to need infantry for anything major again after the Afghan mission ends so why should we recruit more? :downs:

Well the retard PM did pretty much come out and admit that JTF2 is operating in Iraq right now. Which we've all known since 2003, but :smug: Antiwar protesters keep reminding us that Canadians are better for not being there.

Thank god there was no standard ops there. We're pushed to the limit with the 'Stan as it is. I remember before I left they were willing to throw me my leaf to sign on for a deployment as desk jockeys were in such demand.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It's a pretty good song, but I don't wanna be hearing that on the radio when (if) any more soldiers get killed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I received my final "Pension" cheque from DND.

6 and a half years of service in Her Majesty's Canadian Forces Reserves.

I am buying booze with that.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Congrats buddy. Did you put in any claims for health problems to squeeze out extra bucks? I did it for my knees, got a really nice cheque in the mail from VA.

No, not really. I just wanted out as quickly as possible, and I don't really have any disabilities. I went supplemental reserves, so IF I decide to go back eventually I don't have to take everything again.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

HammerOfHope posted:

Play your cards right and you might end up with a pleasant stay at Club Ed :toot:

Not gonna lie. Might prefer that over Wainwright again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

See one place you have to wear a uniform, keep your area clean, everything in your day is scheduled, you are told what to do when to do it and, how to do it. The other place is prison.

But actually I know a friend who went there(Hizawk knows him, they were on the same DP1). It was the worst experience of his life ( even compared to infantry school). He had to ask to make moment, turn a corner. Some times the guards "wouldn't" hear you scream it out to take the corner. From what I hear he also got beat, but that "never" happened.

I knew a SNCO that had a small stint at Club Ed. He said it completely changed him as a person, as asking permission for everything but bodily functions really fucks with your mind.