Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Postin' in dis thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Not sure if this falls under OPSEC but I just found out that the reserves are officially broke. Cant even count on government jobs these days..... :(

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

compressioncut posted:

Everyone's broke, dude. Lots of budget cuts to pretty much everything.

I found the outcap matrix for 09/10, and I doubt it's much different for the upcoming year. There are very few green occupations, the remainder are red or yellow. What that means is that most anything you want to apply for should be accepting applications - a number of the green trades are not direct entry, like SARTECH and Clearance Diver.

As well, that should mean don't let the recruiter change your mind if you want something in particular. He may have recruiting targets for certain occupations, but it's your career.

Oh I've been in for a few years already, just pissed about canceled training.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
You people dont like the gortex boots? Weirdos.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

The Goretex boots are fine, except when they're all you have and you have to wear them outdoors, on packed snow, with sweaty feet. Like wearing ice blocks for all their grip and warmth. Comfy when you're sitting around the place reading PPTs indoors, though.

Also, the shortage on combat boots seems to have something to do with the Mk III / GP changeover, and the gov't having sold off the 'surplus' of Mk IIIs before the supply of GPs was built up. :downs: :canada:

Are you crazy? Gortex are awesome outdoors, or at least a hell of a lot better than the GP's or Mark III's. Warm, comfy and most importantly dry. For snow, you cant beat the mukluks though.

Oh yeah, and the GP's suck so much that a lot of people including myself cant even loving wear them. Thankfully I only exchanged one of my Mark III pairs, because I havent worn the GP's once since the day I tried them, sticking to my Mark III's.

Also dont even start on the LS. If you've never been to Meaford theres a giant rear end hill road called the hog's back, I was riding in an LS with my sergeant major and the thing was barely climbing, motherfucking school-buses were overtaking us.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

They're not so awesome when the soles freeze and lose all traction on packed snow, and when the sweat in your socks freezes too because the layered socks are 'winter' issue and they don't have that at the sub stores so you'll just have to wait sorry :argh:

Mukluks, mukluks and again Mukluks, that is all you should wear in conditions like that. Although I have done patrols in a -40 (before windchill) blizzard in my gortex and came out ok.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lt. Jebus posted:

Canadian Forces: Bootchat.

Boots are the most important part of your kit :colbert:

I'm honestly surprised there isnt a boots megathread in GiP already.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Simkin posted:

Fresh out of BMOQ infantry 2lt checking in. I've only seen about 48 hrs of Gagetown, and that was on Thursday-Saturday when the base was officially closed, so I have no idea what to expect when I return from my Christmas leave.

Anyone have anything good/ill to say of CAP? I'm hopefully going to be course loaded, since sitting on PAT for a while doesn't seem too exciting a proposition.

Gagetown? Oh you poor bastard. If you dont already have a car, buy one (almost anything will do) or become good friends with someone who has a car as fast as you can. This will save you a minimum of 2 hours a day just walking from place to place. Also, dont expect to see your lighter ever again if you lend it to someone, the Canex is far away so lighters are always in short supply.

Oh yeah, one last thing: If you go to Jungle Jim's (a restaurant nearby with cheap wings) DO NOT get the insanity wings. No matter how much people dare you to or call you a pussy. Its really not that bad when you eat them (I'm pretty big on spicy food) but your anus will literally be on fire the next morning when you have to take repeated shits. Its just not worth it man.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Simkin posted:

Thanks for the info. I've been rocking two wheels (bike and motorcycle only) in Victoria for the past 3 years or so, and plan to continue that in NB - so I bought studded bicycle tyres. :D I'm staying in H1, so it's not really that far from the Canex, only about a 10min walk, and it's nice and close to the cafeteria and the Inf school. I don't smoke, so the lighter thing won't be too much of a problem, although I did see quite a few people take up (or resume the habit) smoking when they were on BMOQ.

I will, however, steer clear of the wings.

There were a bunch of MARS officers that were CEOTP in my pl, but then again, half the loving platoon was Maaaaaarrrrrrs. :gay:

If you're on a bicycle make sure you wear a helmet, the MP's in Gagetown are loving maniacs and I've seen them give people tickets for that poo poo.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I was talking with my father recently, and he was apparently told he's not able to reenlist in the militia anymore because he never graduated high school, and because of the glut of young dudes who did who want in as well.

It kind of bums me out, considering my own lack of a high school diploma. But hey, some random soldier remustered into my desired trade without even the knowledge on how to use a camera. I have a college diploma that says I can at least do that. So it should help. Right? :sigh:

How do you have a college diploma and no high school diploma?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Benedict IX posted:

It seems there is a pretty big discrepancy between reserve and reg-force BMQ. Would my 4-week BMQ equate to the 13-week reg force one?

The Regforce BMQ includes SQ and DP1 I believe.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Benedict IX posted:

Not according to the recruiting website:
http://www.forces.ca/html/infantrysoldier_reg_en.aspx[

Beats me then.

quote:

e: For anyone living on-base, what's the going rate for rent, food, and whatnot?

At Gagetown the going rate for enlisted was about 700-800 for rations and quarters monthly.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
The only guy I've ever met in the CF who wanted to become a chaplain (that is wasnt a priest already) was a crazy fundamentalist christian who got a kick out of burning grasshoppers alive because "God commands him to take dominion over all things on earth". Before we had to go out into the field I notified my WO that I refused to be near him if we were going to be issued live ammunition.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

:ughh:

So we have submarines that can't sail, and no weapons for said submarines.

Do they have harpoon-launch capability?

We're going old school: Ramming! :black101:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MrZig posted:

What's it like to be a vehicle technician in the Canadian military?

This:

http://www.forces.ca/html/vehicletechnician_reg_en.aspx

I was thinking it'd be really cool, but it might just be boring mundane poo poo that you don't hear about.

I'm thinking of getting into the mechanical trade of things, and I want to add the "Served in the military" to my life's portfolio. What do ya think?

From the veh-techs I've talked to it does seem rather mundane and boring, but everyone says that about their trade, so take that with a grain of salt. I will say that from the vehicles maintenance I've had to do (which is quite a bit, being in the armoured corps) the official standards are retardedly and often unnecessarily exacting, which creates a lot of pointless boring work.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MrZig posted:

I wonder if it's comparable to the civilian trade side of things? I'm sure it'd be pretty beneficiary to a resume.

Who's best to talk to about this, will a recruiter just fill my head with pointless over-promising lies?

Oh yeah, having CF on your resume is always good, and I'm sure the skills you learn as a veh-tech will be applicable civvie-side. Just saying it probably isnt the most exciting of trades.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Not literally cry, I'd expect. But whine, for sure. I suppose whining is no good.

Can I still bitch about the officers that I'm cold and wet thanks to?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

DefenseSupportParty posted:

I'm in the USAF right now, but there is a good chance I'll be moving to Canada in the next four years. Should I be interested in joining the military in your fine socialized nation, will I be able to retain my mediocre rank or some facsimile thereof?

I dont think you'd get to "keep" your rank, but if you go into a high-demand technical trade they sometimes give rank incentives anyways.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
A word about ruck-marches: Loosen up the tops of your boots. Some instructors tell you to always wear your boots as tight as possible but it quite often gives people shin-splints on ruck marches. And if like me you get really bad shin splints just pop some ibuprofen containing painkiller like Advil before you start out, and you'll be ok.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
gently caress Bob and Mary, they ran over my pet beaver and dint even stop. I'm gonna set my polar bear on them if I ever see them near my igloo again. Moose.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

At least you guys still have snow. My igloo's melting thanks to all this global warming poo poo.

I'm thinking ahead and investing in patio furniture.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

I am considering the Direct Entry Officer plan.
Please talk me out of it.

Dont do it. :effort:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

That's not a very compelling argument. Maybe I'll just go ahead and do the opposite. :colbert:

Think of the children?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
First a serial killer and rapist Colonel, now a child-molesting chaplain:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/767250--ex-chaplain-in-sex-case-paid-off-teen-officials

:wtf:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

I've been thinking about joining the reg force if some of my other options don't pan out the way I want them. However I'm not sure what kind of job to pick. I graduated University so I was wondering if I should take up officer training or not.

I have a lot of friends in the CF, one of them is currently an officer in the Navy reserve, I got a couple in the Engineers at Denison armories and a few Horse Guards and Queens York Rangers. A lot of them tell me that I should stay the hell away from combat arms because it's apparently career suicide and absolute dirt.

Speaking as a Horse Guard I can safely say that combat arms only seems terrible from the reserve side. Having done long stretches attached to reg force on taskings it seems to me that reg-force combat arms is really not that bad. I definitely wouldn't want to be service battalion.

Edit: Also, go in as officer right away if you can, enlisted pay is absolute poo poo until you hit corporal. As long as you aren't an idiot who tries to micromanage everything and shits on the troops you will be fine. Good officers are like gold, but too many of them think that they have to be hardasses to earn respect when nothing could be further from the truth. Be friendly to your men, and protect them from admin bullshit and they will love you.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 8, 2010

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

Admin bullshit? You got an example of that?

For example, right now the army owes me about $2500 because the clerks cant be bothered to do their loving job, and instead of leaning on them the officer thats supposed to be taking care of this poo poo tells me I need to see him before anything can be done. Then, after being "too busy" to see me for about a week I finally go into his office only to be told that I'll need to see him some other time because he doesnt have my file. :bang:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Hey Lassitude, can you give a rough breakdown of the kind of salary PCP/ACP/CCP people make in Ontario?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lassitude posted:

Last I heard PCPs made, in Ontario, an average of around $28 an hour or thereabouts these days starting out. ACPs make a couple bucks more an hour. CCPs make just a bit more than that as far as I am aware, but they're few in number and pretty much just work for Ornge, our air ambulance service. One of my faculty at school was a retired CCP, but other than that I've never met one and don't know a whole lot about their wages these days.

You said starting out, does it go up significantly over time?

Edit: I was also informed today the my transfer to med tech from armored recce just came through and I'll be doing the medic QL3/4 in the next few months so I will let you guys know about that stuff.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 11, 2010

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lassitude posted:

It goes up like any other job, but don't expect to be making more than RNs. You'll never make $40+ an hour or anything. And don't expect to retire as a paramedic, either.

Congrats on the medtech thing. Patient care can be a shitload of fun, so I hope you enjoy yourself.

Hope so too. Also, I heard about paramedics pulling close to $100,000 with some overtime in the greater Toronto area, confirm/deny?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

Heard any word like that on Armoured Soldiers? It's the other 'In Demand" job, or so I've heard(and seen on the Forces site)

As a (now former) armored soldier:

Reconnaissance:
-G-Wagen (reserve): Expensive useless piece of poo poo deathtrap
-Coyote (reg force): More Expensive, requires too much maintenance, but is actually functional. And the surveillance suite is way loving cool.

Heavy armor:
-Leopard 1: Requires tons of maintenance, not very comfortable but functional.
-Leopard 2: Heaven.

So basically if you go armor dont go recce reserve. Other than that, if you're prepared to do a shitload of maintenance and paperwork regarding your vehicle, armor is pretty sweet.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lassitude posted:

What's the policy on guys enlisting who're missing a leg below the knee? A friend of mine expressed interest over it, and as he's at a sort of rut in his life I wanted to look into it for him to maybe give him an option. Are there ANY jobs he'd be eligible for as an amputee?

Only if you are already in and were injured while in the CF. I dont believe theres any way to get in with an amputated limb.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
But unlike in the cadets very few people in the army actually care about being able to shave using a boot as a mirror. Usually all that is required is for them to be blackened and clean. The low-level shine you get from parade-gloss is perfectly acceptable. Dont be the one douchebag in your platoon with mirror boots as your instructors will just force everyone else to bring theirs up to the same level for uniformity and everyone will hate you.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Combat boots should NOT be shiny. They should be blackened, with a decent sheen to them. We are issued parade boots for a reason, and whoever gave poo poo on that is a loving pogue.

I was never even issued parade boots, I've had nothing but combat boots for 3 years now.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Who said anything about combat boots? However our boots have to be somewhat shiny. We can't show up to regiment with boots just slathered in polish. They have to be brush shined but thats it.

Yeah and the parade-gloss stuff is fine for that. You wont get mirrors but you dont have to have mirror boots, especially at your unit, you get weird staff on course sometimes though.

Protip: For buffing up your boots quickly instead of carrying around a brush, just get a bit of nylon stocking, it works great while not taking up any space and weighs nothing.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 12, 2010

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Parade gloss is straight up poo poo. If you put 10-15 brush shines and then spitshine you will have amazing boots, especially if you put a clear coat on them, which is the secret

I guess you're one of those guys that enjoy working on his boots. The rest of us have better poo poo to do.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

acumen posted:

During battle school we were made aware that we literally had nothing better to do than to turn our parade boots into glass. We're still expected to be highly turned out when we're wearing our DEUs and we do get inspected. It's not the end of the world if someone wants to save themselves the trouble.

Obviously if I had it my way none of this poo poo would matter at all but even in the reg force infantry we don't have better poo poo to do lots of the time.

edit: for the record I burnshine my boots 10 minutes before a parade or whatever and then throw them back in my closet when I'm done.

Honestly? I mean I'm in a Guards regiment and we are only rarely required to turn out in DEU's. And most of those times enough of us show up in combats anyways that the Sergeant Major just sighs and ignores it. In fact, I don't think I've put up my DEU's once since they were issued. Blues? I think less than 10% of our regiment have ever worn them.

The only inspections our regiment is anal about is vehicles and weapons, to the point where everything we have is clean except for the actual soldiers who usually look like dirt-monkeys. I guess it's an armor thing :shobon:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Borden is alright but theres poison ivy all over the loving place.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

What are you doing WALKING ON THE GRASS YOU DON'T WALK ON THE GRASS THERE ARE SIDEWALKS FOR A REASON

...Sorry. Was channeling the base Sergeant Major for a second there.

Thats not your grass, thats the Queen's grass!

WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU TO BE STEPPING ON THE QUEEN'S GRASS??!?!?!

I actually pulled that one once on a couple of private recruits, they were about to poo poo themselves until I started cracking up and laughing at their reactions.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Whaaaaat? You didn't know that? Ask a Senior NCO. Commonwealth artillery doesn't have to salute the queen's portrait when entering a mess as the Royal Artillery is the Queen's regiment. I don't know if that applies to mortars because they are not really artillery.

This is pretty weird, but I've never once seen anyone salute the Queen's portrait. Officers and senior NCO's included. We salute the regimental standard but not the portrait.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 18, 2010

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Simkin posted:

Yep, that's it in a nutshell. BMOQ-L (or CAP) is a lot closer to what you'd expected basic to be, complete with lots of cock, lots of shouting, and a whole lot of ruck marching/running. Lots of duplication of effort between this course and BMOQ, so it was kind of frustrating in that regard.

The next serials of CAP (the summer ones) get to live in tent city. Woooo!

Tent city loving rules. The amount of cleaning is minimal relative to shacks. Just drape a mosquito net over your bed and you're good to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Simkin posted:

I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of being to Meaford, but I'm assuming if it's worse than Gagetown, it must be spectacularly awful.

Meaford is one of my least favorite bases but it does have a couple of significant advantages over Gagetown:

1) Its a 2.5 hour drive away from Toronto so at least on the weekends you wont feel like you live in prison

2) The mess, shacks and most of the important base facilities are actually right next to each other so you wont waste hours every day just walking from place to place. You dont need a car or bike to get around at all.

The only two really lovely things about meaford are the weather which is probably the most upredictable thing in Canada and that the ground is really rocky so if you have to dig trenches it will consist of whole days of pickaxe work.

So if you aren't going to be doing a lot of digging or sleeping in the field Meaford is actually pretty cushy compared to Gagetown.

Although if they make you do runs up and down the Hog's Back you will hate Meaford more than anything else on this earth for the next little while after that.