Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Fresh out of BMOQ infantry 2lt checking in. I've only seen about 48 hrs of Gagetown, and that was on Thursday-Saturday when the base was officially closed, so I have no idea what to expect when I return from my Christmas leave.

Anyone have anything good/ill to say of CAP? I'm hopefully going to be course loaded, since sitting on PAT for a while doesn't seem too exciting a proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Science posted:

Would you mind posting about BMOQ a bit? What was your daily routine like? What did you do to prepare? I'm considering joining the CF dream as an officer so I'd love to read about what you just went though.

BMOQ at St-Jean Quebec (the whiskey-tango rear end in a top hat of the province, with more brothels per square kilometre than anywhere else in canada :canada: ) was my first brush with the military, since nobody in my family has served.

The first week (week zero) won't give you any read at all on the program. You'll have weird timings, like no fixed bed time, a 6am wake up, etc. and you'll still have your goofy civvie hair and clothes, so you'll stand the gently caress out from the crowd. You will long for CADPAT, if only so that it's harder for staff to single you out (don't worry, if you gently caress up, they'll still remember your name/face). Anyhoooo.... week zero just involves paperwork. Remember all that crap that you thought you'd filled out for the recruiting center? Well, they're all loving retarded, and you'll be lucky if they bothered to pass on to your platoon staff that you even exist (it does happen).

Once you finally get issued your kit, then things start warming up, and you start getting into a routine. Up at 0500, morning PT at 0510-05?? (every other day, usually), followed by breakfast, then classwork/drill, lunch, classwork/drill, dinner, figuring out how the gently caress you set up your locker for inspection, and stressing over labeling everything (you will forget something, and the staff will pick that one particular sock to check, don't worry). Other things do get thrown into the mix, of course, like tests, visits to the doctor/optometrist/Exacta centre, etc.

The hardest part that I found in the beginning, was adjusting to the retardedly short meal timings some literally required that we just skip the meal, in order to make the timing. If this happens, make sure that you are not the only one to skip the meal. If your pl staff sees that the whole platoon (or even just a full section) missed a meal, they will try to work it so that you have at least a minimal amount of time to eat.

There are a thousand other parts that I could go on about, but I think you can actually find the course outline somewhere online, so I won't bother going over that. Suffice it to say that I enjoyed the poo poo out of all my time in the field (even the rifle range, where it was absolutely pouring, and then snowing for our night shoot). LPAC is good fun, pre-Vimy was even better, and Vimy was 3 days of non-sleeping awesome. Actually, I probably caught 2hrs between Monday 0400 and Wednesday 2200, so no hallucinations. :(

As far as prep goes, I was in pretty decent shape before I joined up, so the physical aspect was a doddle. If you're not in great shape, look into doing interval training (sprint-jog-sprint-jog) to get your V02 max up, and work your way up to at least 20 push ups.

My degree is in a field that the CF doesn't specifically have a need for (Linguisitics), so I joined up as a DEO (direct entry officer) in the Infantry. There's also the CEOTP (I can't remember what this acronym meant) route, which a bunch of people on pl were under, and basically it boils down to joining up with the promise that you will finish (even if you have yet to start) your program at University, and the CF will pay your way.

On a more personal note, the platoon staff that I had were all fantastic (well, other than our CO, he was Navy, so.... :laugh: ), and they made the training as enjoyable and beneficial as it was. To put it into perspective, I'm much, much prouder of my comissioning scroll, than I am of my sheet of paper from UVic, even though one took about 8 times longer to earn.

If you have any more specific questions on BMOQ, I'll try to answer, or even just on St-jean in general. Beyond that, though, and I'm out of my depth.

Also, thanks WOFOC for the intel, that's good to know. I loved all the field ex (ppt can go die in a ditch), and I'm a pretty avid climber, so chin ups are not usually a problem.

Simkin fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 10, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Mr.48 posted:

Stuff about Gagetown

Thanks for the info. I've been rocking two wheels (bike and motorcycle only) in Victoria for the past 3 years or so, and plan to continue that in NB - so I bought studded bicycle tyres. :D I'm staying in H1, so it's not really that far from the Canex, only about a 10min walk, and it's nice and close to the cafeteria and the Inf school. I don't smoke, so the lighter thing won't be too much of a problem, although I did see quite a few people take up (or resume the habit) smoking when they were on BMOQ.

I will, however, steer clear of the wings.

There were a bunch of MARS officers that were CEOTP in my pl, but then again, half the loving platoon was Maaaaaarrrrrrs. :gay:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I certainly won't miss St-Jean, that's for sure. Montreal was really, really great, though, and made the weekends worthwhile.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

The logistics of meal lines at St-Jean left much to be desired, as did the dust bunnies (yeah, don't bother ever cleaning the HVAC, ktnx). I wasn't into getting blottoed/hitting up the prostitutes on the weekend, so maybe I missed out on the essential Quebecois charm.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Not a bad idea. We just hoarded swiffers like they were crack, and then got our balls busted on inspection when a stray bunny would wander into our cubicle while we were standing waiting on staff.

How serious are the inspections at CAP?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I always do, especially in lovely conditions. Thanks for the warning, though.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

So is DART a td, or ...?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Anyone on here stationed at Gagetown? I'm just sitting on PAT at the moment, waiting to start CAP next week, filling out my sign-in card, and killing time.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It depends. If you married/common-law, it's free. The cost of quarters and rations really does vary by base, though. At St-Jean, if I had been paying for it, it worked out to ~$600 (quarters were only about $90/month iirc, the rest was the cost of food).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Just become Hindu - reincarnation is about all you'll need, right?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Here's a silly/rhetorical question - how much less fun am I going to have on winter ex, now that I can see the grass poking up everywhere around gagetown? Dragging sleds is going to be awesome.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

You fun level is going to be HUUUUUUURGHLAGHUGHAL/10(it's the sound you'll be making when you pull the sled over rocky patches)

That'll help me through, when my section mates have conspired to keep me lashed to the lead for the entire journey through the woods, in between pulling pole.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I'm on CAP, so it's not really a full on winter ex, just the winter warfare module of CAP. The weather's not really playing ball, so maybe we'll get a better chance to put the survival skills into practice later on in the course.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Met report from CFB Gagetown: gently caress YOU, THIS IS :canada: IN THE WINTER

Basic Winter Warfare when the weather finally cooperates, and we get a dump of 20cm of snow and the temps dip below -20*C with the wind is loving awesome. I'm looking forward to one day being able to actually go on an Advanced Winter Warfare course, but I know that's a bunch of years down the road.

vv AHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA vv (at the MARS, I mean, not the failing air nav)

Simkin fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 29, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, don't be that guy that can't even crack off the 4(!) minimum required to continue training at the first expres test.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Hah. Here's a fun one for you, acumen. Can I receive any of the sniper training as an officer, or is it NCM only?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Fraser CDN posted:

This might sound very iconic Canadian but Canada's Army use to have Pioneers that upon qualifying were allowed to grow beards. If you have ever seen the demotivational picture with Canadian Lumberjacks, its actually real. :canada:

Oh sure, mention the beard growing, and neglect the fact that their regimental uniform included an apron and a big fuckoff axe.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

I am considering the Direct Entry Officer plan.
Please talk me out of it.

Well, I can't, since I'm in it, and I don't hate my life too often.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

The Amputee House posted:

You did BMOQ Aug/Sep-> Dec? I might have some guys from your course on my platoon. If someone getting recoursed during grad week rings any bells...

Yeah, 6 Sep - 16 Dec, I know of that person, but I think they were a week ahead. We just finished up range week, and managed to not have anyone vr this week, but the staff are still busily shaking the tree to see what falls out.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

acumen posted:

NCM only as far as I know. We really should offer the course to officers though, it sure as hell helps them understand how to employ us better. Because, obviously, no one wants to ask the corporal how to employ snipers even though he may know more about it.

That's kind of my thinking on it - you're told that you should never ask your men to do things that you wouldn't (or couldn't) do, so if we don't even get a basic qual on any of those more specialized weapons systems, how will we know to properly deploy them?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

If I applied to be an artillery officer, what are the chances that I'll get in?

Right now, I think your chances are quite good - it's the only combat arms officer trade that's still short on supply.

It'd be nice if, rather than turning away people from NCM (or officer) infantry positions, the gov't would be willing to fund an expansion. Maybe they could cut back on submarine maintenance. :laugh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Lt. Jebus posted:

Have fun on CAP there 2LT, I'll have to check and see if I know any of your course officers :)

Oh, I'm sure you do. Our course officer is a former sergeant major from 2RCR who CFR'd a few years back, and the entirety of our staff are infanteers. It's pretty loving awesome, despite getting worked over solidly during all waking hours. We just finished our Nav/Comms mod, and are moving onto offensive/defensive, so another ho-hum week in garrison awaits. Oh, that, and the Cowling cup. :hellyeah:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

You mean that they've completely closed off all DEO applications, or just those for pilot?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Just finished up CAP, which was capped off (ha) by a final Coy sized offensive op. The buildup was good, and the Coy OC is a loving badass, who could lead and inspire pretty much anyone to do anything. We had live fire (C6s) going about 10m overhead (it felt like less than 5m at the time, though), with big fuckoff demo charges going off to our flanks, and we assaulted the enemy position at first light. I'm sure that being absolutely sleep-hosed from the week made it even better than it actually was, but still... Killed the one op-for my section was tasked with, using a C9 fired from the hip while running into position.

Now, PAT Pl for 5 weeks while I wait on DP1.1. I have heard literally nothing positive about this course - other than the fact that at some point it ends. Wheeeeeee!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yep, that's it in a nutshell. BMOQ-L (or CAP) is a lot closer to what you'd expected basic to be, complete with lots of cock, lots of shouting, and a whole lot of ruck marching/running. Lots of duplication of effort between this course and BMOQ, so it was kind of frustrating in that regard.

The next serials of CAP (the summer ones) get to live in tent city. Woooo!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

I hate Meaford. So Much.

Ha. Who said anything about Meaford? They're running 11 CAP/BMOQ-L serials out of Gagetown this summer, and guess where all the lucky candidates are living? Bwahahaha. :suicide:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Elgar posted:

Who was the Coy OC for your course?

No, it was a British Major - bit of a philosophical divide between the Brit and Canadian officer mindset, it would appear.

Just found out that in lieu of being put on course for DP1.1 this summer (since all the spots are taken by dirty reservists and RMC kiddies), we get (well, six of the Inf. 2LTs that just finished CAP) the opportunity to be part of JTFn.

I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of being to Meaford, but I'm assuming if it's worse than Gagetown, it must be spectacularly awful.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Elgar posted:

On DP 1.1 you guys will have an Aussie OC he's hard as nails. If you can get the fall course. Also, buy the Dismounted Platoon Comd Aide memoire. Go over it every once in while to familiarize yourself with order and order procedure.

It's still the Scotsman, although I never saw any dog.

The commission is ... well, at this point, since we're the lowest ranking (or at least in the eyes of the CTC) infantry on course in Gagetown ... a bit meaningless. We get treated just slightly above no-hook privates, and some of the people who were commissioned in December still haven't had their pay updated to 2Lt.

Wrt to the aide-memoire, I've seen a few copies of it going around the shacks, and will probably pick up the high-speed operators (read: waterproof) version for some reading over the summer.

Anyone have any info regarding a tasking with JTFN? We're pretty much in the dark on it, other than being told how long we'll be up there.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

The Amputee House posted:

Some guys from my platoon rolled into Gagetown yesterday they probably stand out

Speaking of which were you in L20 at cflrs? I'm wondering if you had the same staff as me

Yeah, I've seen a few new faces around - they're like lost little puppy dogs for the first week or two. I was in L12/L0021E at CFLRS, so probably had different staff.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Man, I knew some of the swamps around here were deep, but that's a little ridiculous.

Also, I love New Brunswick in general, and specifically Oromocto. They're the best parts of Cana.... gently caress, even in writing I can't fake it. This province is a loving hole, and Oromocto is at the bottom of that hole. :suicide:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Somehow this principle seems like it would be hard to transfer over to the H-lines. :smith:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Any statistics on what the suicide rate is on PAT? Two weeks in, and morale is pretty loving low among the troops. The prospect of sitting around and getting paid to do gently caress all sounded good on paper, but in practice is just the most boring thing ever. :emo:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Unfortunately, as we're only just finished CAP, we're not qualified to lead any sort of combat arms platoon. We do put in memos and requests for taskings, but they're kind of in short supply, seeing as there are no infantry NCM courses (well, below DP3A) run out of here.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Speaking as someone inside the training system (still) as an infantry officer, unless you have your heart set on the trade, you're probably going to have an easier time of getting accepted into one of the other combat arms (armoured, artillery, or combat eng). Sure, the camaraderie is great, but they really do work you a lot harder than the other trades, and (as I've been told) while you're in the training system you are a second class citizen, even compared to the friends that you went through basic with.

Keep in mind, that as a Canadian, you're perfectly able to sign on with any other commonwealth armed forces - brit, aussie, kiwi - and those may offer you a better opportunity to actually get trained and deployed within a reasonable time frame.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ This. Also goes double for any time in the reserves. Just keep that poo poo to yourself, and use it to your advantage (and that of your colleagues), while not broadcasting "HEY GUYS I WAS IN CADETS/THE RESERVES SO THIS IS HOW THIS HAS TO BE DONE HURRRRRR" :downs: It's less that your fellow candidates will hate you, and more that the DS will either grief you, or expect way the gently caress more from you.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, seriously, don't overthink basic. It's only people who are really just NOT AT ALL CUT OUT for military life that will fail VR out. I only saw one guy fail out of BMOQ, and that was because he just couldn't read a map to save his life. Yeah, he was (and still is :ohdear: ) an arty officer.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

The grass isn't always so green on the other side? Why'd you switch from inf in the first place?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

gently caress. Certainly one of those things that no amount of training can ever adequately prepare you for. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Lassitude posted:

How do regforce view reserve people? Thinking infantry, specifically, as that's my regiment. Watching Generation Kill the other day, and when the reservists showed up they were portrayed very negatively. It's the marines and a TV show, granted, but I still had to wonder. I've never been to Afghanistan myself, but I've always been curious at what sort of prejudices must invariably exist toward part-timers.

Speaking from within a platoon going through dp1.1 (phase 3 of infantry officer training) currently, with a few reservists on it, and the rest reg force (we all went through the same CAP course together as well), there's certainly a little bit of bias against them. The problem - as we view it anyhow - is that because the courses are split up into modules, reservists can show up for one or two mods, be loving rockstars (and just blade anyone in their way, shutting down after their moment in the sun), and then gently caress off back to unit, all the while not needing to interact in any useful manner with the rest of us. However, as we're just starting the course, the truth of that remains to be seen. They still can be deployed to any operating theatre, so the camaraderie based on that is pretty strong. Maybe it's different in battalion - life on course (or so we're continually told), is quite different from the reality of life in battalion.

On the plus side, having all the reservist around base makes for a fun game of 'what loving batshit insane hat will we see next?' while looking at all the (to us at least) goofy head dresses. Jaunty tam 'o shanter and a fistful of feathers, with an absurdly large cap badge? :rolleyes: