Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I'm sure they'll be richly rewarded with a fascinating career long posting out of harm's way to Gagetown. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Barrakketh posted:

my CoC wanted to put written warnings in the records of atheist troops who didn't attend church parade, and another fellow whose on probationary status at a bank (i.e. a real, motherfucking job). Got in a screaming match when I explained that they can't force people to go to church. I won, but it shouldn't even have come to that in the first place.

Who would have known? Mod 1 of PLQ was actually useful for something.

That's pretty awful. I do know that, like it or not, religion snaked its way into a lot of functions - mess dinners, men's xmas dinner, etc, but it was usually just to the extent of the padre saying grace or a prayer. Conducting administrative action against troops who don't attend church is something that I can see being grieved to an ombudsman or CHRC.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I dunno, something tells me 8 hrs training and then sitting around in smoke waiting for someone to decide where/when/if to use you probably won't qualify you for much. :laugh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

So... uhh, anyone looking to take over one, good, slightly used Infantry Battalion? There may be one on the market soon-ish. :vince:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It's unfortunate that there's such difficulty in retaining the Sr NCOs that really can/should be helping improve the situation, while those fossils, as you say, are more than happy to coast on into a pension.

Either way, kind of glad I'm not at the 1st right now.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I only get to play in the hiring/screening process of CIC officers, so I don't know what sort of coolaid they're fed after they're signed up by the units. It's usually a 50/50 mix of cadets aging out and C/MWOs who can't think of anything to do with their golden years other than play Army.

Still doesn't mean I'll salute a CIC.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

David Corbett posted:

The reserves are in the media today - this time, it's from a campaign promise to increase their size from 24,000 to 30,000 over the next four years.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/stephen-harper-pledges-expansion-of-military-reserves-1.3193200

There was some noise in there about budgets for the reserves as well. Does anyone here have any comments about this?

I sincerely doubt the ability of the reserves to even attract that many more people - not even taking into consideration training and equipping them.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Maybe 'Keeping up appearances when politically expedient to do so?'

Kind of a mouthful, tho.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

They shouldn't be asking you to do a CFAT again, unless your scores were too low for eligibility in the trade you were interested in. More likely they'll have to book you in for a TSD - the psych test. We are aaaaaaalways looking to hire ACISS, Vehicle techs, etcetera. I can think of 7 trades alone that are hiring priority, maybe that's what you were being told? I mean, all combat arms trades as well have space, and lots of it, but if you walk into a recruiting office and say that you want to go wrench on planes, or that you've been accepted to Med school, be prepared to be enrolled in a hurry. As far as the med stuff goes, if you released, they will make you do a medical, as the MO doesn't give too shits about a release medical.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

and medics, and clerks and...

Peacetime army is a strange creature indeed.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Come on, it's no worse than trying to search for loving anything on the DIN.

Why yes, I did mean to search for some lovely memo sent to a Cadet unit. That is exactly the same thing as the PAM that I very specifically spelled out. :sigh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Ouch. Really?

Kind of surprised nobody's kicked the Tories in the nuts a few times over Defence spending/support (other than the low hanging F-35 fruit) in this election campaign.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

If RMC/ROTP dropped into the ocean and we went to something more like other countries have - enlist first, then get streamlined into leadership school that every officer has to go through - it might improve things a bit. After seeing how much time/money/energy gets wasted on attacting/recruiting a very small percentage of total yearly intake, it's no surprise that so many think their poo poo doesn't stink.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I guess that's what happens when the order states that EVERY commander needs to write their own, specific orders relating to the CDS direction, orders that needed to be blessed by several (many) layers above before being further promulgated.

I'm holding out for the sweet wristbands that will be in an offensive shade of pink, be a mandatory purchase, come out in 2019 due to procurement issues, and be made by some factory in Quebec that existed solely to fulfil the contract to make the lovely things in the first place.

#NoTIMMYCF

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Maybe we can outsource the screening of refugees to the same half-assed, 'YES I AM TOTALLY A NATIVE INGLISH SPEAKER DO NOT MIND MY ODD GRAMMAR' services that we use for recruiting. Never mind getting 25k in by the end of the year, we'd be luck to even see the first one by next fiscal.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Frozen solid mac and 'cheese'

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I guess at least it wasn't sexual assault/harassment?

Generally, when I think of countries with permissive views on recreational drugs, I think of Japan. :catdrugs: :hf: :japan:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Anyone else have to put up with the hopeless nonsense that is shared services canada? I'm happy that at least someone is airing a grievance against them - the RCMP seem to have more of a free hand to air dirty laundry in a public place.

In other, totally unrelated news, turns out we're now allowed to make use of the Nexus bypass at a few select airports (Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto..?). Technically it's only for in-uniform personnel, but the gate security people didn't seem to know/care and waived us through despite being in civvies.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Not yet, but I should be able to find out on spring break.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Barrakketh posted:

I just want free university. God drat.

Sure, you just need to wear the monkey suit and attend band camp for four years.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Seeing how long procurement takes and how often things just outright get cancelled, we'll probably end up getting 4 super hornets, delivered in 2030, after the F35 contract gets killed in 2025 and we're forced to pay some exhorbitant cancellation fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

An alternate approach could be the ombudsman, as a mostly impartial 3rd party.

Comedy option - drunk email someone with 'general' attached to their name in the CF address book.

You're within your rights to pick any assisting officer you want, although they also have the right to refuse.