Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
This is one of those "what the gently caress are you even thinking" questions, but what trade is most likely to get you placement on a sub? How thoroughly terrible is life on a Victoria-class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

acumen posted:

...and if you're a douche or you cry when you're wet and cold then you're hosed.

Is this like a common occurrence or something

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Are the disqualifying health conditions for serving listed anywhere? I know, "ask a recruiter", but A) I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat and B) I wanna peruse it myself instead of rattling off a laundry-list of ailments/flaws to some dude on the phone.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Hell of an opportune time to float into the thread it looks like!!

I'm a metalworker by inclination/trade with very little formal training (which I absolutely cannot afford). The Materials Technician trade seems to offer a seriously thorough/comprehensive year-long course covering pretty much everything I'd ever be inclined to learn. AND, and, there's a Reserve equivalent to the position, too.
I've always held the CF as a possible job/career, but haven't thought about it seriously in years, not since I started metalworking, and this gives me an actual driver beyond "I think it'd be a decent fit for me". What sort of training would I receive in the reserves trade vs. the regular route?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

mr_selfdestruct posted:

I dont know much about the reserve world, but dont they off the reserve guys the opportunity to do the reg force training? I know they do it for BMQ, but I dont know about trades training. The Mat tech training DP1 isnt quite a year long, some of that training is EME branch common training. The reserve vehicle techs do not come close to the amount of training we get in the reg force, with our DP1 being 7 months and theirs being about 3 I think. Dont trust a word the recruiter says about length of course or how long you will wait for a course, they really have no idea unless they are the trade you are looking at.

Alright, thanks. Yeah, from perusing their website the impression I got was that, yeah, if I wanted the full training I could try to get it, but I'd assume that'd come saddled with a dozen qualifiers and restrictions and ~whatever~.

Also, I have a... reasonably close family member who's a Colonel. I don't know poo poo about poo poo, what sort of hot n nasty nepotism could someone mostly just interested in the Reserves possibly swing? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

mstrkrft posted:

Not as much as you think.
I wouldn't think so, but, yknow, v :shobon: v

mstrkrft posted:

Not so ninja edit: I hate people like you.
I'll allow it

aarp posted:

I'm sure you mean well, but this is incredibly naïve.
Yeah, it sounds like someone's never been on the short end of an investigation everybody who matters just wants to go away quickly and quietly. it is, Not Productive As A Rule.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 26, 2013