Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Anyone else going through the new BGRS system this APS? Wouldn't mind sound-boarding with someone over PM's if anyone else is moving too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
That is definitely a step in the right direction, but I still worry about young members just finishing QL3 and similar courses being posted for the first time, not fully understanding their entitlements, and overspending/not getting their full entitlements as a result.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Oh absolutely. We have someone in our unit who was still being pinged yesterday by BGRS to apply for his Relocard. I mean, come on right? The left doesn't know what the right is doing at all, and it's the guy's first cost move. I'm staying pretty relaxed about it all (which is easier for me since I'm not selling a house) so I'm really hoping I can give a good report on the whole thing after.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I've always sworn by the old ruck because I'm a creature of habit, but the new (soon to be replaced as well I've heard?) ruck has its own merits. Since the new ruck is fitted for the curvature of your back, it does not play well with frag/plates at all. It also has a higher base weight, which obviously means when both bags are fully loaded up you're ultimately hoofing it with more on your back with the new ruck. It fits a lot more kit however, we're talking a lot more, so if you're just deploying and then remaining mostly static it's a godsend for ensuring you arrive in location with everything you'll need. When you're not suited up with frag/plates, it's probably more comfortable day-to-day as well as it keeps the weight higher up on your back, and distributes it better.

tl;dr If you foresee a lot of walking/patrols when you're in the field or deployed, old ruck since it's lighter and plays nice with other accompanying kit. If you're going to be mostly static, new ruck, since you can carry more kit.

Edit: actually another thing to think about, is how much of a footprint the drat things take up in your home or room while away on course, tasking, training, etc, so take that into account too

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I've decided to put the green pjs back on. Anyone got any hot tips on which are the best air force spec trades and which ones should be avoided?

What did you do previously? Depending on your interests my buddy has had a lot of good things to say about AVS Tech, just finished training post-OT.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I think I've had Soldier Fuel bars before, or some kind of brand similar to that. They were super gross but I guess were packed with calories and protein?

Jcam fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 26, 2020

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

My Spirit Otter posted:

I have so little faith in this organization

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I haven’t met a single person yet in the CAF who is anti-vaccine or anti-mask, but oh dear the DND employees are a different story.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

My Spirit Otter posted:

I have, i think about 5. All caved afaik

The mental cherry-picking someone would have to do to 1) Be in the military, and simultaneously 2) Not like being told they need to be vaccinated, is just hilarious to me. When they started the military clinics here in Ottawa my coworkers and I were pretty much tripping over each other to get the shots.

But then again this organization is a complete embarrassment and is full of idiot-children who can’t keep their hands off of people apparently so I shouldn’t be surprised.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

SRQ posted:

Well this sucks. I feel there’s no opportunities to play to my strengths. Pass/fail fitness test soon. If I get put in fat camp as a five foot five 114 pound tiny boy I’m releasing.

Anybody know the consequences to release? The bill surely comes due.

Are you at CFLRS? TRP is a great opportunity and you shouldn’t look at it as “fat camp”. Do your best on the test, and if it isn’t enough yet you’ll get help to hit it again in a few weeks after getting fed well and doing a whole bunch of PT.

Once you’re finished of BMQ the short time you’d spend training there will amount to a resoundingly small percentage of your career, and you’ll be healthier for it.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Hizawk posted:

I've been in for 15 years and I don't understand most of what you are saying.

TRP?

Why are officers and NCMs together? Is that a thing now?

What is a top-down search? Contraband... snacks?

It's like a completely difference experience from when I went through basic in 2008.

Good to see the fire blankets are probably the same as fifteen years ago, though. And the furniture looks exactly the same too.

TRP is just the rebranded WFT from when you and I were there in the late 2000’s, my partner went through in 2020 and I was just as confused. Then I remembered acronyms give good PER points!

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
:negative:

I swear making that mistake is going to get me forced into another PaCE seminar or something.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
There are also a number of ways to further your education during your time in the organization and afterward. The funding tap for SDPEER has been opened up significantly and they've been endorsing/approving courses much more readily than the last 5-10 years of the ILP system being a dry desert of money. There are a few different educational paths to get you to those juicy commissioned positions mentioned above as well, regardless of how you entered the CAF. After someone leaves the CAF there is also the VAC Education and Training Benefit, which is a large wallet of money ($45,000 for six years of service, increasing to $90,000 after twelve years of service) available for post-secondary as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

My Spirit Otter posted:

is it 8 years or 10 years for the next tier of education benefits?

Starts at 6 years, doubles at 12.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/legislation-policies/policies/document/2685