Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
So when I applied, I put down MARS as my only trade choice. In my 1 year in so far, I've only met one person with a positive thing to say about the trade. My contract is to 2020. Yay! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

Slippery posted:

Wait, you can sign up in the Canadian Forces for 10 years? Whoa.

Even longer if you do ROTP for Air Nav or Pilot.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

When I was at St-Jean, there was a special platoon of 20-25ish candidates that were all medical/dental/other health? officers. They still did the course, but from what I could tell it was a little more lenient than say a regular BMOQ with combat arms types and everyone else. Possibly shorter too?

Some of them even got to wear Captain epaulets on their CADPAT, and talking to one of them in the mess line she said that the regular OCdts. in their platoon were supposed to call them sir/ma'am. :psyduck:

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

So uh, I guess some Air Force L.Col is looking at a promotion to commander of CFB Trenton...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100208/lloyd_police_national_100208/20100208?hub=TopStoriesV2

:psyboom:

Drama Llama fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 8, 2010

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

acumen posted:

What the hell is CAP? What the heck is Vimy Exercise? God I've only been in for nearly five years and already I feel out of the loop.

CAP is Common Army Phase, although now it's officially known as BMOQ-L. It's the course that army officers (as well as purple MPOs, Intel) do after basic. Run out of Gagetown mainly (exclusively?).

Vimy Exercise is the final exercise during BMOQ. 5 days in Farnham. It's to make sure you can process orders and tell a section to get their poo poo together without curling up into the fetal position and crying. Really straightforward if you're not a total gently caress-up.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

So the military lost my T4 slip. No problem, it's just an electronic document that I can get from the clerks right? Nope, too easy.

It has to be printed in Ottawa, then mailed here. Can't even be faxed. My C.O.C. requested a reprint on the 5th of April, and it hasn't come in yet. Not like taxes are due today or anything. :psyduck:

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

Tom Swift posted:

ROTP for INT O is RMC exclusive as it requires a Top Secret security clearance where as all other Officer trades only require a level 2 clearance.

This is completely incorrect. I would suggest reviewing where you get your info from.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

Tom Swift posted:

Sorry maybe I worded it wrong but I was told by the recruiter at my interview that RMC is the only University they'll let people go for ROTP INT O. INT O under ROTP is fairly new and in the past they have always drawn from other trades with experience.

I figure if I don't get anything High Speed I can find something after I get out. However regardless I am highly motivated for career advancement.

My BMOQ was entirely Civi U, and it had 4 INT O's on it from various universities.

There are also a variety of other officer trades that require Lvl. 3 clearance, off the top of my head there's MARS, and I believe Pilot and some from the CELE/EME/Sigs people as well. Students requiring lvl. 3 are also permitted to attend Civi U.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

Most poorly-worded headline I've seen in a while now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11591214

:psyduck:

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

The Amputee House posted:

most of the problems are due to stressful academics and the fact that people psych themselves out with all the rumors long before they start.

Pretty much this.

I've heard that the fail rate for MARS 3/4 can be anywhere from 40%-70%. Disclaimer, I haven't been through it yet, but spent a summer with them while I was doing Phase 2.

It seems to me that the blading and backstabbing horror stories are really exaggerated. I met quite a few people either being recycled for another shot at it, or having failed twice already and being forcefully OT'd. Coincidentally it seemed that these were the types who had the most negative things to say about it. :iiam:

I also have a number of friends from BMOQ or whatever who really love it, even while they're in the midst of the 'lovely' times trying to get their ticket on a ship.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

Flanker posted:

I would be surprised if you could go right off the street into reg force int officer.

Three from my BMOQ did it. One for each element actually now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

Simkin posted:

and enjoy what is probably the easiest course that you'll take throughout your career training.

He's Navy. He gets to go on NETPO. :c00lbert: