Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009
Former Infantry reservist here. I, like a few people in the thread, want to get into Reg-force Infantry, and I was told to come back in February so I could start the process in time for the April slots (which is a laughably short period, given the usual enlistment times). After asking a few recruiters (online and in person), I got the message that the selection process is both 'first-come-first-served' AND also based on CFAT scores/med results/etc. What gives? Is it merit or luck-based?

I really want to get in as soon as possible, and it would loving suck to be sitting on my rear end 'till the next quota is released. Anyone have any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Fraser CDN posted:

For you situation you have an upper hand on anyone who is enlisting. You are former infantry so you have BMQ completed and shouldn't have to redo it(as long as you haven't been out for 5 years). All you will need to redo is battle school. You should make sure the recruiting center has your med documents because they couldn't find mine for 4 months( im reenlisting prior service).

It seems there is a pretty big discrepancy between reserve and reg-force BMQ. Would my 4-week BMQ equate to the 13-week reg force one?

LemonAIDS posted:

I just got back from the recruiting center and I was told to wait until April when more positions will be opening up. Next week I'm going for my CFAT and the person I talked to recommended me the NCM subsidized education program. I was looking into joining infantry or something similar but was told those positions fill pretty fast and can be hard to get into. I noticed a lot of positions relating to communication that are open and several navy positions. Can any of you give me some insight to joining as infantry or the NCM-SEP program?

Wait, they let you start the recruitment process already?

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

The Regforce BMQ includes SQ and DP1 I believe.

Not according to the recruiting website:
http://www.forces.ca/html/infantrysoldier_reg_en.aspx

e: For anyone living on-base, what's the going rate for rent, food, and whatnot?

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Fliktor posted:

Currently stuck in KAF right now before heading out to one of the FOB's for rest of tour. Reg force Sig Op; it's a hard job filled with sweeping and making coffee, Oh ya there's some stuff with radios too... If any one wants info on the exciting world of Signals, I'll try to answer your questions.
Not liking all these budget cuts going on, especially for postings. My reward for finishing tour is going back to CFB Shilo, 1RCHA... Out of one poo poo hole and back into another.

It seems all the recruiters are pushing for Sig Ops at the moment. I'm really dead set on Infantry, but out of curiosity, what is your average day like? What sort of stuff (aside from sweeping and coffee) do you guys normally do?

e: Also, how is CFB Shilo? If/when I get in, PPCLI might send me there instead of Edmonton (which would suck balls).

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Fraser CDN posted:

I met them at a hockey game while eating poutin and a moose/beaver meat sandwich on French Bread. Celine Dion sung the national anthem, in French and English of course.

That's quite the coincidence; I had Bob and Mary over at my igloo just the other day...

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Hagetaka posted:

Jesus Christ, Canada.

Is that the highest ranking officer ever accused of something like this? Because I'm drawing a blank on anything comparable in the US or Canada.

Well, that's the Air Force for you...

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

MohawkSatan posted:

So recruitment is still looking to open up in April, right? At least that's what I gathered from earlier portions of this thread, and from what a few emails have told me. I'm intending on going into Infantry if I can: I've wanted to be a soldier my whole damned life, with all it's inglorious bullshit duties and all.

As far as recruiters have told me, yes. I'd suggest filling out the forms pronto, since everyone and their dog seems intent on joining the infantry in April (myself included).

There better not be like 3 slots available for the entire country...

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009
Well, since infantry's closed until the military budget increases (ha!), you can always sell your soul to France and join the Legion. They're always looking for cannon fodder valuable soldiers. Plus, you'll get a French citizenship and can spend your retirement drinking, smoking, and complaining about everything.

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Attire Irony posted:

Failing the grip component absolutely blows my mind.
The idea that you couldn't suspend 165lbs for even a second :psyduck:

When I was in the reserves, I just passed my grip test by 1lb (failed my left hand on the first squeeze, but he let me try again). My fitness level was great; pushups, pullups, situps, running, all that sort of stuff was way easy, but I'm 5'6 and have pretty small hands. The grip testing thingy was just a bit too big for me to get a strong grip on it.

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

Lassitude posted:

Find out what their head dress is, because some reserve regiment hats are stupid looking as gently caress.

Had a Sergeant on my reserve BMQ/SQ from the Calgary Highlanders. Apparently they wear loving goofy-looking hats with a pompom on them. On the other hand, he carried giant rocks on his shoulders for fun and was boning one of the Mcpls, so we didn't hold it against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

E.Nigma posted:

Writing the CFAT next week. For someone who can put their pants on correctly, what difficulty does this test rank as?

Basic math, literacy, and spatial reasoning; a junior-high student could pass with flying colors. And as you're able to dress yourself correctly, you'll be ahead of the curve in BMQ...