Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Reporting in. I was thinking of creating a Canadian goon thread. what is everyone trade?

I was infantry injured halfway through battle school now switching to chair force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
It all depends. Some people like it and some don't. It also depends on your trade/branch and what you like. Ive seen some people who thought about joining then never did till their mid to late 30's.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I was stationed on an Ontario infantry training base.

- I was told I owed the QM a frag vest. First off I had a cadpat one and I gave my olive one back after i got take off course. They just gave me one to give to the training coy QM

- Having to give up my ground sheet because of shortages on training company.

- The military losing my med documents for 4 months. I told the recruiter where they were and what the phone extension was, but they didnt listen to me. I hate recruiters, but I love when I correct them on information they should know.( which happens a lot). Im reenlisting right now.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 4, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
The system is backed up right now. What use to take 1-2 months takes 3-4.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

FuhrerHat posted:

Unless you're applying for a priorty-1 trade, then your application gets rushed through on christmas eve :cool:

Would AC op be one of these? It has a star beside it on the recruitment website, but that information could be 3 years old.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

mr_selfdestruct posted:

I wear my gortex boots every day. Im really getting sick of it because they dont shine up like combat boots do.

Their not supposed to, that is why you use boot paste which "repels water". I hated my Gortex in basic, they were to small and hosed my feet up. After basic I traded them for the same size as my combats and then loved them. My combat boots were almost bald after 9 months.

Also I love how the thread icon is Mil surplus. Its sad but true.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 6, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
My brothers friend was on the first fat camp platoon. Funny thing was he only failed the push ups and then got sick and was recourse. They have screwed basic training up. They make it so you cant VR till week 5 now. What happened to the days of going to the Timmies/Mcdonalds, getting some applications and filling them out and leaving them on their bed. Also, has anyone noticed the quality of recruits/BMQ grads going down in the last year?

Whats all this WFT phase stuff?

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 6, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Canuck-Errant posted:

:v: Mukluks are also part of your winter issue and we're out of those, too.

:argh:

That's weird, ive seen pictures from the 80's and they were wearing the same winter gear. Im sure they have some laying around that have been mothballed.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I just got off the phone with my recruiter. All trades are closed till April. This sucks. I will have been out of the military for 1 year by the time I get back in.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Yeah, I certainly won't miss St-Jean, that's for sure.

I dont get why people say this. I loved St Jean and missed it even more when I got to Meaford. Life was easy, deal with dumb poo poo during the week and drink your face off on weekends.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

The logistics of meal lines at St-Jean left much to be desired, as did the dust bunnies (yeah, don't bother ever cleaning the HVAC, ktnx). I wasn't into getting blottoed/hitting up the prostitutes on the weekend, so maybe I missed out on the essential Quebecois charm.

What people on my course did was unscrew it and put a dryer sheet behind it covering it. Looks normal and keeps the dust out.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Not a bad idea. We just hoarded swiffers like they were crack, and then got our balls busted on inspection when a stray bunny would wander into our cubicle while we were standing waiting on staff.

How serious are the inspections at CAP?

lol ever heard the story about the guy who had a dust bunny and had to take care of it. He had to give it, it's own service number, it had to write tests, and be with it 24/7. Ahhh the mind games...

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
4 months isnt that long. The military lost my medical documents (which stopped my recruitment) for 4 months. What to expect at St. Jean, please read above there is some information that could be helpful. Also go on you tube and check out Basic up and Basic up Reloaded. Either go to the Canadian army site or you tube that.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MohawkSatan posted:

Anyone know just how long infantry recruitment is going to be open in April? Or just that it is?

Until it is full. It could be weeks or months.

Also for anyone who cares, the last episode of Basic Up Reloaded is on youtube.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 19, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

Do you really want to be a weapons tech? Really? Fixing the guns that everyone breaks?

:downs: "I left my C7 on top of my LAV. It fell off and a Leo ran over it. Can you fix it?"

Its sad but they probably did fix it. How bad of a jacking did you get for that?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Fraser CDN, do you post on army.ca?

I've posted once or twice. Before I did basic training asking what I should be looking forward to. What most people who do before joining the army. Probably haven't logged on in 2 years now.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Radulf posted:

For those who have gone through BMQ, would you recommend getting your own boots before shipping out?

Personally I would say no. All your going to do is give staff a reason to jack you up. They will have someone else name and last 3 in it. Also reg force do not get issued MK3's any more, so you will stick out. If your going reserve, your are most likely going to get used boots so it doesn't really matter.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Benedict IX posted:

Former Infantry reservist here. I, like a few people in the thread, want to get into Reg-force Infantry, and I was told to come back in February so I could start the process in time for the April slots (which is a laughably short period, given the usual enlistment times). After asking a few recruiters (online and in person), I got the message that the selection process is both 'first-come-first-served' AND also based on CFAT scores/med results/etc. What gives? Is it merit or luck-based?

I really want to get in as soon as possible, and it would loving suck to be sitting on my rear end 'till the next quota is released. Anyone have any advice?

For you situation you have an upper hand on anyone who is enlisting. You are former infantry so you have BMQ completed and shouldn't have to redo it(as long as you haven't been out for 5 years). All you will need to redo is battle school. You should make sure the recruiting center has your med documents because they couldn't find mine for 4 months( im reenlisting prior service).

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Benedict IX posted:

It seems there is a pretty big discrepancy between reserve and reg-force BMQ. Would my 4-week BMQ equate to the 13-week reg force one?

Im not sure but i know some people who did a VOT from reserves to reg force and only had to redo battle school.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 20, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Benedict IX posted:

Not according to the recruiting website:
http://www.forces.ca/html/infantrysoldier_reg_en.aspx

e: For anyone living on-base, what's the going rate for rent, food, and whatnot?

For reg force you do BMQ (13 weeks) then DP1 ( 14 weeks which is SQ and BIQ into one). They have now revamped DP1 so that if you get past week 4 you get SQ granted to you.

For the rent situation I payed $400-500 a month which was food and rent. I ended up with about $700 a month. Its strange, I payed more money for worse food after St Jean.

On that note I find it funny when people comment on the pay scale on Canadian and American troops. People say the Canadian Forces pay is better but actually is isnt. In the US they get paid about same as us but they do not have to pay for food/rent.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

FuhrerHat posted:

I've been studying a GED handbook to brush up on my math, as well as the pilot training book they supplied me with.

I'm no whiz at math. At least, not at mental math. The biggest concern for me is going to be the time limit, since I imagine I won't have a lot of time to manually calculate answers. I figure that doing the GED prep book and as many practice questions as I can find will help me get into a quick and sharp mental capacicity for the test.

I'm about 7 years out of high school, and took an unrelated to mathematics major in university, so I'm pretty rusty with math in general.

Maybe as a result I'm not qualified in the first place!

Not sure if this will help but I rewrote the aptitude test and maxed it out on the 2nd try. ( I got gen military on the first try 2-3 years ago) What I did to study was to Google aptitude tests, ASVAB ( us army aptitude test) and bought a Sudoku book. It helped me with math which is my weak point.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Eggsucker posted:

I'm going to join the military if possible. I'd like to know if it is possible for me though, so here's my question:

Do the CF accept recruits who have criminal records?

I got a DUI 4 months ago. Now I am homeless and unemployed. I don't have many options at the moment, and the Forces might be my only way out of my nasty situation. It's way too cold here to sleep outside.

Ask a recruiter about this.

FuhrerHat posted:

MARS isn't really something I'm dying to do, but like I said, there aren't many officer positions I qualify for. AESOP sounds interesting,

I was thinking about becoming a AES op but finally decided. I have to take flight crew medical in April.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Lt. Jebus posted:

Well, some people like it.

Actually as of right now one person likes it. Some implies more then one....

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
For anyone who plays Battlefield 2 there is a mod called Project Reality mod. On Feb 5th they will be adding the Canadian Forces. Anyone who own battlefield 2 and does not play this mod is missing out.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MrZig posted:

I wonder if it's comparable to the civilian trade side of things? I'm sure it'd be pretty beneficiary to a resume.

Who's best to talk to about this, will a recruiter just fill my head with pointless over-promising lies?

If you are talking about VT's that work for the CF I hear it's an easy job. They work on the same vehicles as a CF VT would and they don't deal with some of the pointless crap a CF VT would deal with.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

Lots of running. Running until your feet fall off.

I did my basic on a co-op course. I went from being out of breath after 100 meters to being able to jog 15k in one go within 4 months. I also dropped 50+ pounds.

Same,I ran 13km within 4 months of starting basic. I dropped about 40 pounds in basic/ battle school.

Butt Savage posted:

As a lazy-rear end 'murican civilian, I'm curious to know what the Canadian Army's Fat Camp is like. What's the weekly routine that they use to get recruits into such good shape that they can pass boot camp with little to no problems?

Maybe I can adopt said routine and get my rear end back into gear.

If you want to join up just run a lot and go on long walks. Once the walks get easier get a backpack and put some weight in it. Also make sure you do push ups. A lot of people fail their push ups and get sent home in basic.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 5, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I had a Sgt in basic who was a master sniper and he told us he broke records that were thought to be impossible. I remember when I first arrived he pretended to be gay to gently caress with out minds.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Mr.48 posted:

Can I still bitch about the officers that I'm cold and wet thanks to?

I have 1 to thank. Its bad when staff are bitching to the DP1 students about how the officer is making them do this and they just want to go back to the FOB. Half way through I took off my snow shoe's to set up the 10 man tent ( we were pull poling for 5 hours) and sunk up to my waist in snow, then I felt the cold water. Worst week of my life.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Currently I'm putting in 6 - 7 km a day on my treadmill, running 4:30 minutes/kilometer, and I'd like to think I'm in decent shape. Having said that, what are the runs like in basic? Should I start upping my distances to get ready for basic or will I be fine just running middle distances like that?

Also, how many push ups should you be able to do? I can do around 30 full nose touching the ground push ups, should I really start working on that or what?

Your distance is fine. The furthest run in basic was a 6km. The only problem is its a treadmill. Either run outside or put the incline up. The runs in basic are easy, you run a km do some push ups or other workouts, then run some more. With push ups it depends who does the test for you. I did 40 push ups and only got credited for 30. If you can do 30 proper ones you will be fine. Just keep upping your distances and reps because the more work you do now the easier it will be then.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Yeah I normally run outside when it's warmer out, I did the Rattle Me Bones 10k last spring, and the ING 10k last summer. Winter is just my lazy period since I don't play any winter sports/I'm too much of a sissy to run outside. My 10k time is around 45 - 50 depending on how I'm feeling that day.

Man, I'm really surprised that the runs are so short in basic. I guess the main challenge is the ruck-marches?

It all depends on what body type you have. Some people can ruck really well and some can't. You seem to do a lot of PT so you should be fine for that part of basic.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 8, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Hizawk posted:

If you have any halfway decent instructors, they will tell you the following for rucksack marches:

2) Kit the gently caress down. If your doing a winter march in negative 20 weather, guess what, just wear your combats. You will heat like crazy if you wear thermals, heavy gloves and a toque on the march. You are a loving idiot if you wear your combat ice jacket on one. Just wear your combats and a normal T shirt. Even in negative twenty. Trust me.

I was on a winter DP1. When we would do rucks it was always ( for me) Green shirt, thermal and Parka outer. I froze my rear end off before the rucks, but when we got to our end area I was dry and warm.

What DP1 course were you on. I think I remember someone in their 40's graduating. Around December 2008.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 9, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Hizawk posted:

That was us graduating Jan 09. Dp1 004(0?) Paschendale Platoon.

Wow small world, I was GD for DP1 0040 for 3 weeks. During the ranges. I was on DP1 41.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 9, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

DefenseSupportParty posted:

There is one canadian guy at work called Sgt Levar. I'm wondering if you guys have heard of his (I imagine there are only like 20 people in your military,) and if you have I will say hi to him! He is so nice and occasionally says 'Eh' when I ask him to! :)

What trade and what regiment?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Uh.... yes!

Ill put this in American.... Whut MOS yeu Be. Whats bees your unit.:patriot:

Just ask him what his trade is and what his regiments name is.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

I'll totally ask him tomorrow. I hope you know him; he has a moustache, so I know he's awesome and I know he isn't supporting organic food and I would hate him if he did :colbert:`

I know the Canadian Forces is small compared to the US Forces. But that is like people asking me if I know Bob and Mary from Canada. Someone might know him. I don't think I do. Since he is in the US he is probably a tec trade.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

OMG how do you know Bob and Mary?

I met them at a hockey game while eating poutin and a moose/beaver meat sandwich on French Bread. Celine Dion sung the national anthem, in French and English of course.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

If I grow my beard out I look like Thor. Can I command your military?

This might sound very iconic Canadian but Canada's Army use to have Pioneers that upon qualifying were allowed to grow beards. If you have ever seen the demotivational picture with Canadian Lumberjacks, its actually real. :canada:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Oh sure, mention the beard growing, and neglect the fact that their regimental uniform included an apron and a big fuckoff axe.

Wow I didn't even know that. HAHAHAHA

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

my pet monster posted:

Welp, I just got sworn in yesterday. When do I get my battle axe?

When are you leaving for basic. Are you reg or reserve? Last time I called the recruiters (2-3 weeks ago) they said every trade is closed till April and they arnt recruiting anyone else. I tried to call this week but got bussy or no answer.

I believe if you get a kid's meal at your local Tim Horton's and present your orders they do that there.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Mr.48 posted:

Think of the children?

More like think of the enlisted