Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Nevermind

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I know a person who was a medtec in the reserves and had to do paramedic training (10 years ago, so it might have changed). His time in the military helped him but he still had to do the training. It will make paramedic training easier.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

My Spirit Otter posted:

I've only ever worn issued boots. The GPs are the worst wet and the mk IIIs are the best, I don't know why they just are

I loved my GP's. It was like walking on air. The only problem was that after 9 months I had no tread on the bottoms.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

mdivi posted:

One of you dudes should give me a pair of your old parade boots. They shine and look so much better than the new ones. My friend was just given a pair from someone on my course. It's so easy to shine them and they look amazing.

Boots are easy to do. Find someone who is good at it and give them a 20. I wish I would have put more brush layers on my parades. My boots looked like poo poo till i burned shined/spent a few hundred hours on them. Also don't use parade gloss( no matter what your staff says), that stuff is junk. Buy a smaller can of straight black just for your parades. I can read my watch off the reflection on my boot.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

acumen posted:

During battle school we were made aware that we literally had nothing better to do than to turn our parade boots into glass.

From 19:00 till 20:00 you will be shining your left parade boot. From 20:00 till 21:00 you will be shining your right parade boot.... gently caress.... I remember on PAT a Mcpl carved his initials into someones boots with his finger nail. That same Mcpl boot hosed my drawer and then threw my dress shits into a fan.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 13, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

herman391 posted:

Is anybody here an ACS Tech or know anybody who is one? I'm about to finish my 2 year program at Centennial College and I'm thinking of joining up. The program focus's mainly on the AVN side of things but we do have some training with structures.

From what I gather if I were to join up I'd go through BMQ and then get sent to Borden for more training as an ACS and then I'd get posted somewhere to do my on the job type training. Am I off the mark here? Is there any truth that once you graduate BMQ and having already finished the 2 year civilian program that your then promoted to Corporal?

Also what's life like once your past BMQ? My mental picture is something stereotypical like you see in movies. What's on base housing like? I obviously have no idea what any of this is really like, so any help you guys can give would be awesome.

I had 2 people in basic that were did the 2 year program for civilian AVN's. After basic they took a shortened version of the AVN training they got their Cpl's. After basic/QL3( job training) its just a 7-3 job. ( If that, some of my Air Force friends work like 2 hours a day and go home)

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

acumen posted:

What the hell is CAP? What the heck is Vimy Exercise? God I've only been in for nearly five years and already I feel out of the loop.

My brother did basic a year after I did it and dam they changed it. They had so many gay hooah names for poo poo.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

surivdaoreht posted:

My aptitude test is booked...

I DID COCAINE!!

The way i studied for the aptitude test was go online and look for practice tests. Search ASVAB (American version, more practice tests) and do them online. Find out your weakness and focus on it.

After the aptitude test they will write down the drugs and when you did them. If you haven't done them within the last 6 months you will be fine. If you have done them in the last 6 months they will tell you to come back after 6 months has past. Its up to you if you want to tell them. As long as it is in the past you will be fine ( over a year at least)

MAKE SURE YOU TALK TO YOUR RECRUITER ABOUT YOUR RANK. Get it in your contract that you will get your cpl's after basic training. I have friends who were trained ( AVN's) before joining and they got their cpl's after a shortened version of the AVN training.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

And it makes it so that everyone takes it is all like "The guy afterwards told me I scored very highly, but couldn't give me my score. :smug: "

I know a guy who's like 5'11/300 pounds/not athletic at all, and is joining the Air Force as an air traffic controller. Don't people like that (assuming they pass the fitness test at the beginning of basic) just hold everyone back at BMQ? I mean, poo poo, I've been training pretty intensely for the last couple of months to get ready for my Basic in the summer and I'm still worried about being able to do all the PT on top of everything else. This dude acts like since he meets the laughably low minimum fitness standards he'll be able to breeze by any of the physical parts and then sit on a chair telling airplanes what to do.

He will most likely go to fat camp, unless he cant do the minimum of the minimum, and he will get sent home. Basic PT isnt really that hard. I know people who didn't run a mile before basic and passed. The longest run you will do is 5-6km, and its a slow run with stops to do push ups and other fun stuff.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of being to Meaford, but I'm assuming if it's worse than Gagetown, it must be spectacularly awful.

Meaford is the worst place in the world. It will make you hate life. I had the pleasure of spending 6 months there, never again. Some people said St Jean sucked, it makes St Jean look like a 5 star hotel compared to that place.

MA-Horus posted:

Nobody. I just felt like saying that I hate Meaford. Because I really, really, really hate Meaford.

You missed a few reallies, add about 100 more and it might equal to how much it sucks.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Any statistics on what the suicide rate is on PAT? Two weeks in, and morale is pretty loving low among the troops. The prospect of sitting around and getting paid to do gently caress all sounded good on paper, but in practice is just the most boring thing ever. :emo:

I loved PAT. Before they made it all gay. We use to do what ever we wanted, read books, listen to ipods, sleep during the day. Then they made it like... work...... we had to do topo class and C7 refresher. For suicide rate in Meaford I know of only 1 guy who knocked himself off while on PAT.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 27, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

surivdaoreht posted:

Did any of you have any shin splint issues while at basic? Seems like the environment could be perfect for developing them.

I had shin splints in basic. I used Rice ( Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.) Eat bananas. I also put rub A535 on my shins, not sure if this helped.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
To be infantry you have to be a different kind of person. You have to be able to deal with a lot of bullshit. Usually people joining the infantry are people who are outgoing and have had a life that has been filled with hardships. These people know what its like to e at their breaking point so when they have a chance to have a good time they take advantage of it. They do this by drinking to much, and hitting of the pretty girls.

Simkin posted:

Speaking as someone inside the training system (still) as an infantry officer, unless you have your heart set on the trade, you're probably going to have an easier time of getting accepted into one of the other combat arms (armoured, artillery, or combat eng). Sure, the camaraderie is great, but they really do work you a lot harder than the other trades, and (as I've been told) while you're in the training system you are a second class citizen, even compared to the friends that you went through basic with.

Most people complained about how we didn't have freedoms in basic training. Well while in training as infantry you loose more freedoms then you did in basic. Basic was a vacation compared to battle school. Im not trying to make it seem harder than it is but it does truly make basic look like a summer camp. You loose freedoms like time to eat a meals, your own time( from 10:55- 11 each night was my personal time, AKA time to get stuff ready for tomorrow). Even on the work up course for infantry training ( 6 weeks or so) you are treated as 2nd class. But all this bullshit and training is what makes our country have have one of the best infantry fighting forces in the world (minus our crap gear).

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Lassitude posted:

I've heard people say this a lot, but what exactly is it based on? How do you really compare stuff like whose infantry is better?

Im not saying one is better then the other. I am saying that our country has been honored numerous amounts of times for having amazing troops. We have Canadian troops earning US military medals in Afghanistan. ( and in wars of the past) JTF2 has supposedly been awarded United States Presidential Unit Citation. If this shows anything then it should show that we have soldiers that are world renowned as being one of the best.

Erik Prince, the reclusive owner of the Blackwater empire posted:

Prince spoke disparagingly of some unnamed NATO countries with troops in Afghanistan, saying they do not have the will for the fight. “Some of them do and a lot of them don’t,” he said. “It is such a patchwork of different international commitments as to what some can do and what some can’t. A lot of them should just pack it in and go home.” Canada, however, received praise from Prince. “The Canadians have lost per capita more than America has in Afghanistan. They are fighting and they are doing it and so if you see a Canadian thank them for that. The politicians at home take heavies for doing that,” Prince said. He did not mention the fact that his company was hired by the Canadian government to train its forces.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Mantle posted:

What happens to my rank and my pension if I release before the end of my term? Obviously these are questions that I don't really want to ask my interviewer. Is there a contract completion bonus or any room for negotiation over a signing bonus? Or is working for the CF more like a take it or leave it offer kind of thing?

In the CF you sign a 3-5 year contract( depending on your trade). After the first contract you sign another contract ( 3-5 years). After that you sign a 25 year contract. From what ive been told you can leave when you want during the 25 year contract. If you are in the CF for less than 5 years you get back all the money you put into your pension. Signing bonuses are only for people who are going into highly needed trades or people who are already trained ( technical jobs that a civilian degree would transfer over into)

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Our entrance PT standards are really just laughable. I mean, 19 pushups? Really? Come on, anybody could do that with at most [b]a months worth of training[b], no matter how much of a fatty they are. The 6.5 or whatever it is on the beep test is also insanely low.

You would be surprised. Ive seen people fail their final PT test in basic. My pod mate failed the grip by 1 pound. Also one of the females failed the push ups.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Attire Irony posted:

Failing the grip component absolutely blows my mind.
The idea that you couldn't suspend 165lbs for even a second :psyduck:

Well this guy was 90 pounds soaking wet. Its sad, some people fail push ups, or the running, but the grip test. I know people who can pass the test with 1 hand.:hawaaaafap:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

HatSmack posted:

I've been very strongly considering joining the Canadian Forces for the past few months (somehow even after reading a lot of the threads in this forum), and the jobs that seem to interest me the most are armoured infantry and field artillery. If there's anyone here who is currently/has been in one of these careers, what are they actually like, beyond what the recruiter will be telling me?

My brother is armored, I was supposed to be infantry and from what I can tell from people who are currently in these trades they are similar. How do you mean actually like. As in how an average day is? What its like on deployments? What an average day in garrison/ the field like? Please post more specific questions to help us give you better information.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

What are the standards for the final PT test in Basic? Please don't me they're the same as the entrance PT standards, because that really makes me fear for my country's safety. :canada:

That PT test you do in the beginning is the one you will do for the rest of your career. As long as you can pass those you are "fit" in the eyes of the CF.

6 on beep test
19 Push ups
19 Sit ups
75 Hand grip

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Canuck-Errant posted:

Anything I should look at buying before I go?

Mr Clean Magic Erasers
Swiffer pads
Baby Wipes

Anything else you can pick up at the Canex for a "reasonable" price. Its probably a 4 week BMQ. So unless its BMQ/SQ you shouldn't really need much more then what is issued.

Canuck-Errant posted:

And I'm desperate enough to try and get laid in Wainwright. Or even the fleshpots of Lloydminster.

Stay away from girls near military bases. Unless you like pissing razor blades then by all means go for it. Also someone correct me if im wrong, but I don't believe reserve get any time off during BMQ( from friends who are in the reserve's),so getting laid might be hard, unless your going to be doing a platoon mate.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 13, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Canuck-Errant posted:

Yeah, it's BMQ and BMQ/L or whatever they now call SQ. Apparently "Soldier Qual" made it sound like only Army could take it blah blah so yeah. Will I need to bring sandals or running shoes?

Yes. Bring that poo poo from home. The shoes they issue you ( for reg force at least) are crap. They dont issue you sandals, just pick up a cheap pair from Walmart or something. Also make sure you have your kit labeled. A big pile of everyone in the courses cloths is a lot easier to sort when its labeled. But label everything, if you think it doesn't need to be labeled, LABEL IT. If you have any more questions id be glad to answer them.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Canuck-Errant posted:

Eight, since I'm doing BMQ and BMQ/L in sequence. But I don't think I'm going to be that desperate. Ever.

Well, I labelled each and every item of my kit already under the advice of my MCpl. Anything I should be looking at doing in the month before? Apart from making sure I have all my poo poo stowed in duffel bags that are readily identifiable, and making sure all of the poo poo I'm supposed to have by the kit list is there, of course.

Just make sure everything fits. Even stuff you wont need to wear( change parade YAY!). Also get one of the more experienced guys to help you set your ruck to your back (not really needed but helps alot when your carrying more then the basic training weight). My ruck was in poo poo state in basic. After basic i learned how to set a ruck up properly and it helped a lot. Make sure you have a waist strap on your ruck.

Basic isn't hard. Just don't over think it and make sure you are semi fit for it.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Yeah, seriously, don't overthink basic. It's only people who are really just NOT AT ALL CUT OUT for military life that will fail VR out. I only saw one guy fail out of BMOQ, and that was because he just couldn't read a map to save his life. Yeah, he was (and still is :ohdear: ) an arty officer.

We had a dyslexic person who is now artillery:ohdear:. I also had a person that failed the topo test 3 times and is Arty.:ughh:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

Here is an idea of why Arty is pretty bad.

I was recently in California on vacation. I was down in San Diego, ran into some Marines, one of which happened to be artillery.

The guns currently in use by CF reservists? Yeah, retired as DRILL guns by the Marines as they were too drat old. That is the CF.

I feel ashamed. Thats bad if the Marines retired it.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Aidsteen posted:

Ahoy
I'm thinking about enlisting this Friday in the Navy as a boatswain. I got a couple questions/concerns I was hoping someone who's been through the ringer could possibly answer..

-basic training -- is it really as bad as it seems? or an actually useful life experience?

-i've worked in demolition, landscaping and forestry in the past, so I'm used to pretty heavy workloads and whatnot.. i can really push myself when i need to, but I'm definitely not in shape. how beat will I be at the end of the day?

-i'm a smoker. probably gonna quit, but what's the "official" stance on it? is there designated times/whatnot or is it just light up and go whenever?

-when i go in to speak to a recruiter, is he going to say whatever he can to get me to join? do i have to join then and there? I'm quite set on it but you never know.

-how soon after enlisting would I ship out to BT? Is it a separate course from the regular infantry/air force, or are all the forces lumped together?

there's a whole slew of info in the Basic Training 101 thread, but I'm unsure how much is relevant to the Canadian Forces.

Basic is a joke. If you have worked landscaping and other physical strenuous jobs you will be use to being sore, hard work, and long days. In the beginning you will be tired but your body will adapt to the work loads.

You dont have to quit smoking but it would help. They will give you smoke breaks during the day. Unless you gently caress up, or you have a hard staff they wont give you any.

The first thing the recruiter will do is ask you some questions, then give you the paperwork. They will most likely try and give you information about your trade choice. Your recruiting process time will probably take 6 months. ( depending on openings for appointments and such) Everyone in the Canadian forces does the same basic training.

" Will I have to join then and there", Please elaborate.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Anybody got any useful financial advice for when I start basic? I'm a dumb kid right out of high school and I have no idea what to do with the money I'll be making since prior to this I've lived at home and drank/clubbed away my lovely grocery store paychecks. I want to avoid making common mistakes that young junior enlisted make, and I was wondering if anyone could impart some wisdom.

I want to set money aside to go back to University when I'm done my enlistment, so I want to save up a good chunk of change that I can use 4 years from now. I don't have a car but I'll probably have to get one once I finish training. What's the smartest way to put money away/get a vehicle?

Don't buy a car is #1. Don't lend out money ( I was the one in basic with money, and I got burned twice).Have fun but do it within limitations. Don't be that guy who cant keep a pay because he drank it off on Friday night and then spend the rest on strippers on Saturday. If you really want to make money, take people weekend fire picket/ course Sr. I got offered $200 for a Saturday course senior ( I was 17 and couldn't drink, It didn't stop me...). This will help you save money and make money.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

After spending $400 on lap dances when I turned 19, I vowed never to spend money at a strip club again (besides cover/drinks). Is it really that easy to blow your checks in Montreal?

I'm not planning to get a car until I finish all my training and get put in my unit, so that's fairly far down the road. I guess I'll just cross that road when I come to it.

Oh, and my buddy told me that since my basic is in July I'll get 2 weeks of summer leave right in the middle of my course. Is that right?

Oh and if anyone has any general advice for regular force basic at St.Jean I'd appreciate it.

hahah. No you don't get summer leave during basic ( I did July - Oct basic). Its good you don't plan on buying a car till the end of your training, ive seen guys buy one and have no money because they spend it on a car they cant afford. What other "facts" has this buddy told you?

Talking about basic ive heard they have redone the weeks. My friend said the weeks were something like week 2 you get your weapons, week 5 you shoot, week 7 is gas, week 10 is some big test. He also got his electronics for good at week 5.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Yeah, I didn't believe him about the leave. That would just be stupid. He's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

And yeah I figure once I wind up in my unit in Pet, Edmonton or wherever I'll get a vehicle. I'm not gonna buy a charger or something stupid like that. I'll probably wind up buying a used late 90's Silverado or F150 and beat the poo poo out of it.

I don't think they've changed basic, or if they have they haven't updated the St.Jean website to reflect the change.

[edit, actually you're right, you do weapons in week 2. theres a day by day schedule here if anyone is curious: http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/rec/es-wt/index-eng.asp

I checked out this site, wow.

05h10 - 05h25 Morning Physical Training
05h30 - 06h00 Morning Preparation
06h10 - 06h50 Breakfast

WTF. This is hosed up. Basic for me was

4:30 Wake up and get poo poo ready
5:10 PT
6:00 Run upstairs and get inspection
6:50 Breakfast
7:00 Inspection

Im actually surprise this site is updated, it usually takes the military 6 month + to get something corrected (if ever). Heck it still says Infantry does SQ then 17 week infantry school( pre 2008 information).

Also about your posting. After basic you will go to Gagetown to do training. After that they will send you where you are needed. You can put in a memo about where you would like to be posted.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 26, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Lassitude posted:

Only 15 minutes of PT? What the gently caress?

I think they have hosed up BMQ. I know my BMQ wasn't as hard as it was in the early 2000's or before that. But seriously. Are they trying to make a joke. My brother did BMQ a year after I did and they wouldn't let anyone VR before week 4. Whats the point of now of filling out a VR for someone and leaving it their bed now?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

What I think is the craziest thing about BMQ is that you get off at 5 on Fridays to gently caress off to Montreal. That is going to own so hard.

But yeah, some of that stuff is seriously a joke. 15 minutes of PT? 6k ruckmarch? 5k runs? I though basic was supposed to be hard...

OK so tell me if this is right: I'll do my BMQ at St.Jean, then ship out to Gagetown for SQ/Driver Course, then I'll be a "personnel awaiting training" until combat engineer school in Gagetown. After that's finished I'll go to either Gagetown, Edmonton, or Petawawa to join a regular unit.

The whole getting weekends off is the staffs choice, or if your course fucks up. Everything sounds about right, not sure about SQ/ driver wheel for combat engineer though.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

I already have my course date/location for Basic, and it's at St.Jean in July.

I was thinking of trying to get on the combat diver course, but I figured that course would be available after I finish my MOC school. What's QL3/QL4?

I think July is one of the best months to start BMQ. All the class work in done in the hot heat of July/ early August. Then when you get to the field in September its warm out.

acumen posted:

Basic training is a joke. Actually if some of my good civilian friends decided to join I'd probably try to do basic with them just because it'd be fun. If you want to be all crazy Full Metal Jacket brainwashing and getting lightly tortured, go through battle school.

Im reenlisting right now and I actually asked them if I could do basic again. I was told no. After being lightly tortured though battle school basic just seems like even more of a joke.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 27, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

HammerOfHope posted:

We have a company called SISIP that's there specifically to help you manage your money. When you start BMQ they'll give you a couple briefs about life insurance and their financial counseling/planning services. Ironically your staff won't let you make appointments until you finish your course (unless people are coming to break your knees, maybe) but you should give them a call when you have a chance.

One weird thing about them is if your 17 you cant buy life insurance. I asked the guy why and he couldn't give me a clear answer.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

surivdaoreht posted:

:words:

Get in your contract to get your cpls after basic. I know a few people who are cpls now( making about 20 grand more a year) because they were trained. Also ask for a signing bonus, the military now has to spend less money on your training( because it is a shorter course for trained individuals) so they should offer you an signing bonus.

Also if your already trained why not just do it civilian side and make more money? Also you have college completed why not go officer?

Lassitude posted:

How do regforce view reserve people? Thinking infantry, specifically, as that's my regiment. Watching Generation Kill the other day, and when the reservists showed up they were portrayed very negatively. It's the marines and a TV show, granted, but I still had to wonder. I've never been to Afghanistan myself, but I've always been curious at what sort of prejudices must invariably exist toward part-timers.

It all depends on who you are, what rank ect. But mostly infantry ( speaking for myself and friends at Meaford, people who were not trained infanteers) we saw reserves as the cheap way of getting into the military. They do a 4 week BMQ, 4 week SQ, then a 4 week BIQ then they are fully qualified. In 2 years they will be making cpl pay when it would take a reg force guy 4 years ( depending on qualification). I knew people who didn't know the weapons, and they were cpls. To clear up the animosity between reg force and reserve they make reserve infantry ( cpl and below) do DP1. Now from what I hear if you have a tour as a reservist infantry ( information from my friends brother) they treat you as a regular force soldier.

Also the American military is really different then the Canadian military. In the American military the reserve guys do all the reg force training but then after that training they do weekends and 2 week in the summer( or something like that).

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

One of the girls I'm doing basic with is really hot and lives in my city.

I take it banging her on a weekend off is a no-no?

No, its a no no if you get caught, she tells everyone( and staff find out), or you run the train on her with 5 other guys and duty staff walk's in.

edit. Or if you get caught and she cries rape and you get the military justice boot up your rear end.

edit 2: On our navigation ex one of my staff sat the group down and and asked show loving who. He said he wouldn't get anyone in trouble, he just wanted to know( Staff knows it happens). He kept his word.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 30, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Canuck-Errant posted:

Man, I wish I were in JTF2. I bet I would have two pairs of boots. Maybe even four.

edit: and a cool sidearm

Heck even better they would give you money to buy civilian cloths. Heck I bet you could find the highest speed and the lowest drag boots to wear. You also wouldn't get jacked up for wearing good boots either.

edit. You would also get to paint your gun any tactical camo scheme you wanted. Maybe Blue or red tiger?

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 6, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I came across this video today. Thought everyone might enjoy taking a look at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

Its a good song/video, but whats with the Marine dress tunic?

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 8, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

ThalidomEid posted:

I'm surprised it's just happening (getting discovered) now. Hell, I'm surprised it didn't happen in Borden with PRETC. And it's not just that they were in WX, they were in WX on PAR (Personnel Awaiting Release), so it's doubly unsurprising.

Also, how long do you think you'd have to go without a room inspection before you were confident and comfortable with setting up a drug lab in your room?

HAHAHAH. I hear PRETC is a joke, people leaving for a week and no one finding out. Having the pizza boxes pushed to one corner means you pass inspection. But I guess when you have been on PAR/PAT for so long you can get your Cpls doesn't say much.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

ThalidomEid posted:

For real? I'd have thought you have to be QL3 (is it DP1 now?) qualified to get Cpls. And why bother promoting a guy if he's just waiting around for his release paperwork to get done?

As for PRETC, I heard some horror stories, but never had to take part. NCM-SEP, woo!

DP1 is for combat trades, QL3 is for non combat trades. Im not 100% sure about someone get promoted while on PAT/PAR it could just be a rumor or the truth. There are also people on PAR that are permanent category. Meaning they got injured in training and now are waiting to get surgery, or medically released. I do know people who have resigned their contract while on PAR as well (permanent category).

What is NCM-SEP?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

Not gonna lie. Might prefer that over Wainwright again.

See one place you have to wear a uniform, keep your area clean, everything in your day is scheduled, you are told what to do when to do it and, how to do it. The other place is prison.

But actually I know a friend who went there(Hizawk knows him, they were on the same DP1). It was the worst experience of his life ( even compared to infantry school). He had to ask to make moment, turn a corner. Some times the guards "wouldn't" hear you scream it out to take the corner. From what I hear he also got beat, but that "never" happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

On the plus side, you do get to shoot a lot of things (even if the majority of the time in training it's just blanks.

40% finished IODP1.1 - I ... I thought I knew what sleep deprivation was, but then I ran into the defensive module, and my mind was bloooooown. Wednesday morning through the next Wednesday afternoon, and in there somewhere was a stretch of six days with less than two hours accumulated sleep (taken at your own peril, no less). Still, I'm kind of pissed off that I didn't have any hallucinations like some of the guys. :catdrugs:

We were doing a circle defense in basic on sleep dep week. My buddy next to me goes, um is that a skeleton dancing over there. I started to laugh while trying to tell him no. I think I got 2 hours in 4 days. Dam that was fun, I wish I could redo that week. I loved it.

edit: My friend on his defensive ex saw chicken Mcnuggets coming towards his trench. He didn't shoot cause he was hungry. I love hearing the stories from GD who just were helping on a defensive ex. Yea I went up to their trench and just walked off the with C9/C6/C7 tac vest/ ruck.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 19, 2010