Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Does anyone know about being a Nursing Officer in the reserves? I'm an RN and think the military may be something I am interested in. The problem is that most of my experience is in community health so I worry that I won't be a good candidate without ER/acute care experience. Will the military provide me with that training?

I found some information in this booklet: cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/00195_nursingofficer_res_en.pdf

I have pretty extensive experience working with individuals who have physical and mental health problems as a result of military service through my civilian job. Would these skills, though not direct med/surg skills, be beneficial in entering this position?

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Thanks for the responses, it's really appreciated. I have been feeling the need to re-orient my life and career so maybe the reserves will be an opportunity to challenge myself.

What is DP1?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Hizawk posted:

My cousin just finished Basic Military Officer Qualification and he's going RN. But, unfortunately he knows basically as much as you do about what it will be like. I can help answer questions you may have, but he probably does not know much.

I'm wondering if reservists do their basic with other health professionals like other people have mentioned in this thread, or will it be with all groups? Not as though it matters, just curious.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I’ve applied for a nurseO position at my local reserve unit and it’s been a really interesting experience. In the year and a half since contacting the unit I have dealt with 4 different recruiters, 2 who never contacted me back. One was great and managed to get me connected with the local infantry unit to do my force test but they left and their replacement is a ghost. A friend who was previously in the unit and has contacts there said that the turnover has been wild and he didn’t know who to get a hold of for recruiting anymore.

I’ve been told they have a lot of vacancies for this position by both the former Fd Amb recruiter and the infantry recruiters... what is the best way I can actually help fill one of them? Would asking the infantry recruiter who did my force test and seemed to be a competent individual be helpful at all or would this break some unspoken code?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

SuperSix posted:

Unfortunately the byproduct of the recruiting bureaucracy is that you'll be on a goose chase some of the time, especially for reservists. If I were you I would contact anyone I could to move your timeline up. I wouldn't worry about contacting recruiters, it's literally their job and they'll probably forget about you the next day.

I did this and the recruiter contacted me to say he contacted the fd amb ppl and if they didn’t contact me in a week I can contact him again and he will try again.

At least he responded :shobon:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Yea the giant clusterfuck that is recruiting is just a sneak preview.

I used to work for VAC and currently work in government. I am prepared.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

who needs enemies when you have friends like the KSA

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

how long are medical clearances taking right now? been waiting 2 months on mine.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

looks like my medical was completed today, seems like I will be enrolled in a couple of weeks and doing weekend bmq in january

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

Congrats, what trade?

SigO

completely different career than my civilian one, looking forward to something different.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

right now that sounds not too bad cause I have absolutely zero comp sci background and I’m guessing it is much worse than I imagine.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

First day of work yesterday, seems like a nice place to work. Hand nearly fell off from paperwork.

I get the impression that there is potentially a lot more work available than the one night a week/one weekend a month deal.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

weekend bmq is really annoying cause you kinda get used to army by Sunday then you go home and reset for civvy work but I feel either the unit I am at is hella chill or it’s just like this for the reserves in general but there is so little jacking up. There has been one occasion where the staff did the whole yelling and throwing poo poo around shtick but most of the time even if you gently caress up the worse you get is a stern talking to.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I am looking forward to all the dress changes in April.

Rumor has it men can have women's hairstyles (and vice-versa), you can dye your hair weird colours, multiple ear piercings and rings, etc.

April 1st is also the RCAF's 98th birthday. I think I'll dye my beard Air Force Blue.

First HAIRFORGEN was supposed to drop around Remembrance Day, then in December… I want to believe you.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

anyone have experience with the helly hansen mil discount? want to get coats for my kids along with some other stuff for myself but wondering if they will just cancel those orders if it isn’t for me. I know lululemon and some other places are strict about that now.

Gonna shout out outdoor research for not really caring and also having awesome stuff. was actually issued OR gloves recently and they rock. wish they had pro stuff in stock ever.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is the mil discount via the Vet card/status or via CF One status?

There should be less hassle if its the latter, iirc.

Mil ID. I guess I could always try and see how it goes.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Regarding procurement for basic gear: we have Canadian companies that can design good outdoor products. Why don’t we just tell them to produce that poo poo here and buy it. We all wear TNF, arc’teryx etc stuff anyways. The issued gear is loving awful.

Retention is going to be awful when wages are pretty lovely and you run the risk of getting posted to a location where cost of living is through the roof and suddenly you are thrust into poverty. We had people posted to Meaford when I was on a course there and they were tearing into the div cmdr during his visit cause no one could afford to live there. Some people were commuting from pet which is absolutely insane. Surprise, surprise some of them were already in the process of releasing.

And its not like the area even has any services. It’s a dump that just happens to be within 3 hours of toronto.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 18, 2022

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the PRes is a bit of a commitment as an officer because you will have to do 10 weeks for the Army officer qualification course and it’s not in mods so hopefully your employer is chill about that. It also sucks rear end. All the medical trades aside from HCA are exempt from this now iirc.

Trades courses are getting much better in terms of distance delivery. LogO only need a bit over a month I think and SigO need 10 weeks of time actually at a training school to be qualified, the rest is done via distance learning or on the job training at specific units.

At the unit I am attach posted to currently they are actually going to finish those 10 weeks throughout the regular training year at the unit because basically no one is able to take time off work. Most units are not nearly as organized, kinda sad I have to head back to my regular unit and will miss out.

If you go in as an NCM in a non-combat arms trade you go straight to your trade qualification course after basic now and some are basically all online. If you want to be a clerk it’s a pretty easy training pathway and you’ll still get to go have fun doing army poo poo. Lots of opportunities for extra work also if life suddenly throws you a curveball.

Honestly, you have a lot going on and I wouldn’t recommend taking the officer route if you want to have a balanced life. It’s great if you are in uni and can train over the summers but I’ve had to miss some significant family events for a job that is very poorly paying at the lower ranks and mostly mundane day to day.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

This is way bigger news than the hair thing.

Not if you could have a sick flow like solid snake it isn’t.

Seriously though, this would be awesome but goddamn if there is going to be anyone with the common sense to actually approve this I would be surprised. I think some trades need to look really hard in the mirror (sigs) and see that they are absolutely not a competitive employer without these kind of arrangements.

That works on the assumption that leaders remember that this is a job first and foremost and people have other goals in their lives than serving in the good ol CAF

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

im just waiting until i can load planes from home.

just tow the plane to my place

maybe with the gripen that could’ve worked but that’s a no go sorry.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Chances we ever see them again?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

SRQ posted:

I just finished my interview today, really hoping for Armoured Officer. Postin' to say hey what's up and share that my parents had a laugh about how this process is too slow we probably didn't get into Afghanistan until 2003.

I don't mind it really, but not having set dates is a mild inconvenience.

Relatedly the video on the forces site showcased a horrifically rusty Leopard 1 model, do we really still use those???

not anymore but expect whatever equipment you use to be lovely anyways to blunt your disappointment.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

SRQ posted:

Is the Hi Powers being literal WW2 stock a myth or true?

It’s true but honestly some I have used are in good shape. The mags are usually what cause them to have issues cause they are often in rough shape and cause stoppages.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Those new rifles look really nice, though.

Do they ever.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Here we fuckin goooooo

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

*showing up at the COs office requesting to get off NES in september with a gross beard and ponytail like mgs v snake*

"kept you waiting, didnt i?"

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

how bad is it when someone actually wants to live in Winnipeg?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

I currently pay to go to work

Is it a commuting thing?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

we have a family of raccoons. Big upgrade.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I had a med tech do my medical and just needed an eye exam from an optometrist during recruitment. Something get flagged in your questionnaire or something? This was also the reserves so ymmv

My Spirit Otter posted:

Nothing in the military works, save yourself the assache and dont join

Also this.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

but we've got to stop ignoring this housing problem

This is a Canada wide problem that every government will continue to ignore because our elected officials and high level policymakers are over represented by landlords.

We are so short of workers in general but the problem with the army is that we can’t just bitch at the government that the common folk are asking too much money and import cheap labour.

yet

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Fearless posted:

So a couple of years ago, not long before the pandemic began, I submitted a request for an NDI 75 and was informed when I applied that the processing time might be long. The pandemic occurred, everyone wound up working from home and the world was turned on its ear so the card never did arrive. No harm, no foul as far as I am concerned because of how chaotic things became at that point. Thanks to Jobbo, I got in touch with the folks that process the requests and within about 36 hours I got an email confirming that my new card had been printed and would be off in the next mail run. I don't think I've ever had faster service from any other government ID request.

this rules.

Anyone able to get me a new rucksack?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

In the Canadian public service it is a big plus and absolutely necessary for any director level positions in larger government organizations.

Certificates are generally worth very little in and of themselves but are good for learning stuff you can regurgitate in interviews if you do project management or whatever.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Rip me I guess

Then again, seeing the poo poo directors put up with, that may not be a bad thing

you can always get in to some departments with equivalent experience but they will expect, and usually pay for, you to go get one eventually. The 18 month online ones are the ticket here. the less prestigious departments are usually a nice entry way and it’s all the same pay anyways. my experience is more health services based where fed jobs are less common than provincial ones so ymmv

Having French is a huge plus even provincially.

doesn’t vac give a ton of Ed money on release for RegF or is this just for the “I ate the napkin from my ration” set who need education after release for the safety of civil society.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

congrats/condolences

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

You would think that there would be a serious culture of safety in a government job that will be paying out the costs of this injury forever but I suppose not?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

92k seems like a lot. Are you able to use it for living expenses or is this just education expenses? Feels like you could get a professional bachelors and masters with that easily.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Casio f91w is gods watch

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

my hair is getting long af and it’s beautiful. new regs are so nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

taking 3-4 percent would be a colossal gently caress up given the fact that the economy is still fuckin roaring and labour, for the first time in decades, has the balance of power.

we should unionize the CAF.