Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I'm blowing it in Ottawa this weekend, then Montreal next weekend. A bunch of guys booked like half a floor of some hotel in Montreal this weekend but I'm too sick for that poo poo so I decided to go home and rest up, see the parents and buy a camera and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Guys I got qualified on the C7 and I think my dick is at least an inch bigger now. Is this normal?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

It happens, im basic we sabotaged a guy to get him recourses. Filling out VR forms and putting them on people's bed always helps getting the message sent. In battle school we wrote VR on some guys bed in sesame seeds, it actually looked really nice. Ive heard stories about French platoons stepping on the back of your ankle and pushing you forward to gently caress up your leg or pushing you down the stairs to get you medically removed.

There's a guy on my course who jerks off in his bunk at least 3 times a week. Loudly. Someone flipped his bunk before our platoon commander inspection, so he got a PO failure and is now getting PRB'd and kicked off platoon. We also did the VR form to one guy early on in basic and he eventually got the message, especially when our instructors would yell at him during drill and stuff and tell him they wanted his VR form on their desk week 5.

There's no physical abuse of the pumps in my platoon, gently caress, we had one guy who was nice and everything but not cut out for the military. My section tried our hardest to help him improve but he just wouldn't get better and now he's getting released. Most of the dudes who just suck rear end are either gone by now or on the verge of getting PRB'd and re-coursed or kicked out.

4 weeks t'ill I'm out of the shitshow that is St.Jean and onto PAT platoon for a long rear end time :( I've heard from guys who just graduated that the wait is gonna be like 3 - 6 months for SQ, but I won't know t'ill I get my posting message.

Guys, what the hell is up with Van-Doo's? I got chewed out by a french sergeant for a good 10 minutes today for not having good enough drill while walking the 10 feet from bathroom to break area and chewed out by a MCPL the day before for sneezing while at attention. Neither were my chain of command, both were super pissed off.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

You might think 3-6 months is a long time but it will amazing ( depending on tasking and PAT staff). When I was on PAT we read books, listened to Ipods and slept. It was fun. You might also get some cool tasking like enemy force or GD. Also dont be so happy to leave St. Jean. Its one of the best bases you will go to (except if you go to Borden). The food is good and its easy compared to what you will be doing on SQ, QL3/DP1.

The Vandoo's get yelled a lot in training and they like to yell. I know people who had Vandoo staff and they really liked to yell. You probably got jacked up because, he is an instructor and well, its their job.

I want to go sleep in holes and shoot my rifle though :(

Enemy force would be awesome though. If I get put on PAt after my BMQ is it likely that they'd send me to Gagetown to wait for my SQ(which is in Gagetown AFAIK) or is it possible they send me somewhere else? I've heard it's not uncommon to just get sent home if you live somewhere where there's a base if you have a long wait.

And don't get me wrong, St.Jean is awesome, I just wanna get through my training as quick as I can so I can get to my unit, get my goddamn chevron and ditch my cornflake for a beaver.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I don't know, I'd be happy in either 2 CER in Pet or 1 CER in Edmonton. I speak French so it's even possible that I get sent to Valcartier.

I was talking with a 2 CER MCPL, and he told me that all the regiments are hurting for people right now and that if I ask to go to a specific base I'll probably get sent there. There's a lot of new recruits going through the system right now, so hopefully that doesn't screw everything up and I don't wind up in Gagetown or Valcartier.

I've heard good things about Edmonton from my sergeant and been told that Pet is boring as gently caress but that 2 CER is a great regiment and that Pet is a great place to raise a family and has cheap housing. Really I just want to be in or near a city cause I'm young and want to party and take classes at the University of Alberta.

Oh and I just thought I'd mention that there where a bunch of SAR techs at St.Jean for a meeting or some poo poo and those dudes are badass as all gently caress. It takes a special breed to make bright orange coveralls look cool.

Samu fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 6, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I'm finshing up my basic training, just got back from the final exercise and getting my G tomorrow. Happy to have this poo poo over and done with, and super happy i wasn't a gently caress up on this course. 0 admin actions or cousellings suckas.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

Why are you still awake?

So how was sleep dep? Anyone hallucinate and see hosed up poo poo?

Sleep dep sucked. We were supposed to get a couple hours a night but our MCPL is a balls out insane van doo thought was a better idea to loving run.us into the ground since one retard in my section mouthed off to the loving div OC. We had to get in full CBRN dress state and carry aroud some pump on stretcher for hours. 23 laps of the fob. Our sister platoon got 4 hours a night since they're hollywood as gently caress.

Sleep dep week was cool though. I got to be IC for fob security during a massive stand to. Also the missions you go on and the scenario itself is pretty cool and very well done. It kinda feels like you're actually on a mission.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

It definetly was the highlight of my basic.

We didn't attack our sister platoons fob, but when we were all sleeping in the hoochies in week 11, the farnham region had a record rainfall for October. What we did was one section did a recce of their set up, 2 and 4 took up firing positions and my section crawled through the undefended part of their line and cut down a good 15 hoochies before getting chased off.

Is there a lot more training for combat arms guys that employ actors/other CF personnel as enemy force? I really didn't expect this kind of training and I hope it's not the last I see of it. I'm a combat engineer if that helps.

I totally dummied a fleeing prisoner and it turns out he's a master jack who works at Farnham. Awesome.

Samu fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 9, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Yeah what he said, except we didn't get hit by IEDs or anything like that on the way back.

I was on gate duty on the FOB a a big F350 rolled up to the front gate, stopped, and 3 dudes with CO2 weapons stepped out. The "enemy commander" was standing there eating a muffin and talking to our platoon commander, a PO1 who is just an awesome dude. Their exchange went a bit like:

Bad guy: "We have you surrounded, you're outnumbered and outgunned. You can't win and we are going to kill every last one of your if you don't leave now. This is our land and we will kill you to take it back."
*5 second pause*
PO1: "That looks like a tasty muffin."
*extended pause*
Bad guy: "It is, are you going to leave."
PO1: "Not unless we are relieved by other UN forces."
*"enemy commander" leaves*

It was loving hilarious. After they left we went on high alert and 45 minutes later like 5 trucks assaulted the FOB and we got hit on all sides through the forest. The guys in the trucks where CF personnel from Farnham dressed in dessert camo firing on us with real C7s and C9s.

But yeah the training was awesome. We did road blocks, recce missions, we got ambushed during a presence patrol and one mission where we had to take back a refugee camp. People would try to get in at night and ask us for food. One mission we had to set up defenses around medical supplies and enemy forces tried to taunt us into escalating the engagement. There was also a couple first aid missions and one where we found a downed pilot and had to extract her under enemy fire. YOu do 3 or 4 missions a day including a 6 hour FOB security detail. People try to sneak into camp, and our instructors dressed up as enemy in the CP then went around "killing" people. They threw a thunderflash into our barracks while we slept. Good times.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Well I don't know for sure, but after I graduate Thursday I'm probably going to start my SQ in November, finish up for Christmas leave, then wait anywhere from 1 - 6 months for my QL3's to start. From what I hear on PAT platoon all you do is gently caress around and do tedious bullshit until you get on course. It doesn't really bother me that much though, I want to take that time to get stronger. I got exempt on the CF Express week 8 in BMQ, but I feel I'll have a hard time with my trade course if I stay at my current fitness level. I squeezed out 33 push ups, which is pretty lovely for a combat arms type, so I want to work on my upper body strength as much as I can before starting my 3's. My running/rucking is really good, its just pushups that I'm concerned about.

If you're considering joining and have questions about the new BMQ course, I'd be happy to share my very small amount of military knowledge.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Gah, PAT is going to suck. I'm looking at February before I can get on SQ, and god knows when untill I can get on my trade course. I guess my mission now is to not get fat and lazy like half the armoured guys waiting for course.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Haven't really started yet, just got in on friday and been just going out all weekend. I'll be able to answer that in a couple weeks I guess.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The Amputee House posted:

I just spent a few days sailing with some guys from your BMQ course. At least I'm guessing I did, if I mentioned an insane Polish guy and an unbelievably quiet kid would you know who I meant?

I bunked next to that polish guy my whole course. He's absolutely batshit insane and everybody hated him. He picks and eats his scabs and constantly blades other people. He can't deal with stress and has horrible personal hygiene. I hope he never makes it into the navy as an NCI Op because he'll get people killed if he's in a situation where people's lives are at stake. Watch out for him, he's really the biggest pump to come out of my course.

I wouldn't know who the quiet guy is. The Newfie who came out there from my course is a great guy though.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Yeah the closest you'll get to hand to hand combat is learning how to properly search people and how to put them down if they start struggling. Unless you go infantry that's all you'll ever get.

Anyone here heading to PEI for that govenor generals swearing in ceremony? I'm on the bus now, but this morning my alarm didn't go off and I woke up fifteen minutes before I had to report. I couldn't find my parades or bag for my DEUs, and I had to shave at the mess. Complete shitshow.

Samu fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 7, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

My SQ is in Wainwright in January. How bad is that going to suck?

Also, gently caress Yeah Christmas leave. I don't have to go back to work t'ill the 10th :D

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

As a private just out of high school making poo poo pay, I'd say the pay isn't all that bad. I get like 750 bucks a paycheck after all the deductions, of that I put 150 into savings and the rest is just spending money. I have no bills outside of my rations/quarters, which is part of my deductions. So each pay I have 600 bucks that is completely disposable. Compared to my other jobs working construction, I have more disposable income now then I did then. Once I make corporal I'll actually be able to afford a new car and make major purchase. For now the pay isn't all that bad if you just don't drink your paychecks. You never really have to live from paycheck to paycheck because everything you need to live is paid for automatically. Plus if you go out to the field for a month you can get out of paying rations and get an extra 600 bucks of field pay on top of not having to pay the 500 bucks for rations. Also, since you can't spend your money out in the field, you come out of it with a decent chunk of cash.

Not everyone in the combat arms are big dumb retards, there's a lot of smart and decent guys who just happen to like buying brand new sports cars and banging hookers.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

My monthly pay as a P1 private is $2663. Then I pay $44 dollars for quarters, and an additional $502 for rations. Add in taxes (around $400), EI, CPP and something called PPIP and im clearing around 1500 a month in my pocket. It was worse in St.Jean, where my actual pay was only $50 more than my monthly deductions.

Things they dont tell you at the recruiting center.

:suicide:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

In basic you can work out on weekends. You aren't allowed in the gym after you get off during weekdays. A recruit on my platoon went down to the gym in his PTs and got reamed for it. I used to just throw on on civvies and go for base runs, but it's not possible to hit the gym.

And also, you go to the weight room for PT 3 times during basic. Most of the PT is either pool PT (which is loving hell) or circuit PT outside. You work with your section to accomplish some task (like pulling a sled full of medicine balls or running jerry cans from one place to another) in a certain amount of time, then on to the next exercise.

I'm pretty sure PT in BMQ isn't to get you in better shape, it's just there to be a pain in the rear end. Don't expect to get stronger in BMQ. You'll probably lose weight since you're always being beasted/not sleeping/doing PT.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

How quick are promotions in the navy? I know a PO1 who only has like 8 years in, is that common?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

gently caress, by the way my courses have worked out, I could get my DP1 before my contract ends!!

(Actualy I'm just bitching, my DP1 is in February.)

I was in Ottawa for the last week and I saw a shitton of uniforms around downtown. Where are all these guys posted to? I can understand the Majors and up working at NDHQ, but I saw a couple of no hook privates with engineer badges and air force Corporals and stuff running around. I even saw an RCR warrant :wtc:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Man, our MLs are nuts. The new ones are always broken but the ones from the 70's are indestructible

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Supply techs are the worse. They just don't give a gently caress if you are a no hook private and want kit. I tried for like a month and a half to get a Gerber and Day pack and eventually gave up and bought my own poo poo. I bought new dog tags, flags, nameplates and epaulets myself because good luck getting any kit ever in Gagetown. I still have the horrible olive drab raincoat and I didn't get gloves until midway through my last course in November. Even then it was like pulling teeth getting freaking gloves. Maybe in wainwright I'll be able to get the rest of my winter gear cause the scarf they issued me in basic is itchy :(

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

No no combat engineers are fags and all they do is hang out with dogs all day.

But seriously, anyone from 1 CER on this site? My DP1 is next month and I really want to get posted to 1 CER but I keep hearing rumors about the base being closed to new Engineers, and that would piss me right off. Also anyone got any ideas what SQ in Wainwright is going to be like? Out here in gagetown it's a complete joke. I don't care about the cold, I just want my weekends of so I can visit my girlfriend in Saskatoon. Got My DP1 course date finally, starts March 4rth and is looking to be hard as gently caress.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

don't care about the cold, I just want to know if ill be able to see my girlfriend. Heard some rumors about getting cb'd the whole time, but if I've learned anything in my time in the CF its that 90% of rumors are people making poo poo up

Oh and the master corporal told us that our cmtt stuff would be there when we land, so most of us packed our extreme cold weather kit in our barracks box. Then the supply tech told us it would get there week 3.... its going to be a lovely 3 weeks... gently caress.

Samu fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 16, 2011

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

gently caress that's reall lovely news. All the basewide SQ's in Gagetown never get CB'd at all. I guess I'll just be stupidly optimistic untill I hear otherwise.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Elgar posted:

I was going to say, the SQ that I am "running" right now doesn't get CB'd and it's policy at LFAATC. Wainwright is different I suppose. Why didn't you just get on the SQ here? It's rare for combat arms but some Combat eng have been on the ones run by LFAA.

Don't ask me, that's above my paygrade. All I know is that right now is the big push to get rid of all the Engineer PATs is going on now. We have 2 DP1 courses running, 2 SQ courses running and everyone is getting their tools package as soon as they get to PAT. The SQ's going on now are being run in Meaford and Wainwright. Wainwright isn't bad at all. We get CB'd first week, which sucks, but then we earn our weekends. Our course staff is full of good guys and it's pretty relaxed. Only 22 guys on course and 12 of those are Engineers I went to basic with. We're all pretty motivated soldiers and there's no shitpumps I can see yet.

The course is pretty relaxed, but it's just day one. I feel like as long as we don't gently caress up this'll be a really fun course. Our sergeant major is loving nuts though. He seems like a Boer War veteran or something. Inspection layout is a joke compared to basic to.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Just finished SQ out in Wainwright. It's a pretty fun course when all is said and done. My section commander was this PPCLI sargeant who just didn't give a gently caress about rules. He chewed tobacco in class and was basically chill as gently caress. One of the staff was a huge nazi looking for reasons to write people up, and he was a bit of a pain in the rear end, but the rest of my staff was awesome. We got our weekends off and were allowed to go into Wainwright officially, but unofficially could go wherever the hell we wanted. A bunch of guys went into Edmonton and Red Deer. It owned. I got to see my girlfriend in Saskatoon and on the last day the warrant let me gently caress off early as long as I made my flight so I got to get a hotel room then drive to the airport the next day at noon instead of having to take the DND bus at 3 am. Warrant, you're the man.

We fired the M-72 with 21mm inserts, the whole Wainwright SQ firing live rockets is just a myth. It was kind of stupid since they apparently fly completely different than the real thing. The first 2 weeks of SQ are dry as gently caress but if you have good staff they make it interesting. C6 and C9 drills are easy as gently caress and exactly the same as each other. Grenades are fun but you spend a day learning them when you can learn literally all there is to know in maybe a half hour. The field was goddamn cold. When I was on trench sentry at 3am it dropped down to -40. Not fun at all, but the opey dopey artic mits work like a charm. Awesome piece of kit. As long as your section is good to go, which mine was, the field portion is really easy and fun. Just dig trenches, stand in trenches and do a couple recces and it's done.

Samu fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 14, 2011

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Well this is it. My last week on PAT, course starts Friday. Can't wait to get off CF welfare and on with my god drat life.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

tuyop posted:

I just got locked out of the back of the mess in Gagetown and I thought I was going to die trekking to the front door to grab my stuff. Those poor people in the field right now.

Jesus it's cold today. At least the americans have ton and tons of hefty winter kit.

Is it just me or are there a lot more officers in gagetown than usual? I saw a lt. Col in the mess today and walked by an entire ghillied up 2lt course this morning. They're loving everywhere.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I'm not even kidding they all had these stupid helmet covers that looked like they got them at CP gear and the same type of camo poo poo on their tac vests formed up with rucksacks on outside of the shacks on the way to J10 this morning.

I saw the balaclava silly hat guy yesterday on my way to Timmies. Officers are strange.

Samu fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 4, 2011

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

So I'm in week 7 of my Combat Engineer DP1, and we just got off CB tentatively untill we do something stupid. We're in the middle of Urban Ops and it's a hell of a good time. First weekend off was awesome especially after getting 11 hours of sleep for the entire week, passed out for a good 16 on Friday after we got our cap badges. gently caress OC's inspections. I love the course but goddamn do I hate inspections. I got dinged for lint on a sock in a ziplock bag in the main pouch of my ruck.

My question for you guys since you're all a hell of a lot more experienced than I am is I wanted to know is there a chance that my staff can take away our easter break if we poo poo the bed? I already have a plane booked to go home, and I really don't want to worry about losing my easter. Is the entire 4 day weekend considered a holiday or is it two holidays and two weekend?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I made $190.14 last pay. Being a private sucks.

(It's being sorted out, normally get 710 after deductions, but hoooly poo poo was I pissed. Getting screwed on pay just before easter sucks.)

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Ok so I've done 3 Express tests in 8 months, gotten exempt on each one. Do they ever end? What the hell? Also, the PSP staff told me I'd get a point on my PER if I met incentive on the Express. Whats up with that?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

Are you counting ones in basic as well? I know we did one before DP1 to narrow down people to go on course, the we did one on DP1. Its the military, if it makes sense then something is going wrong.

Yeah, one in Basic, one on PAT and one on DP1. If you fail an Express test week 8 of combat engineer DP1 there's really no hope for you.

Thanks for telling me whats up with that PER stuff. No one in my troop knows what's up and all the information we hear is just hearsay most of the time. Some guys didn't realise that we don't operate heavy equipment t'ill week 2 of DP1. Hell I've learned a lot more career related things on this site than through any staff I've had.

Anyone hear anything about the CF starting up 4 CER in Gagetown and seperating it from 4 ESR? That's the latest rumour going around.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I just got my first posting message and I'm going to 1 CER in Edmonton. I'm happy about this since it's where I wanted to go and a bunch of guys on my DP1 wound up getting screwed and stuck here at 4 ESR in Gagetown.

My only problem is that all my furniture and stuff is in storage in Ottawa, and I'm assuming that since I don't have a car the CF will pay for me to fly out west. Do they actually book a flight or just calculate your expenses and give you a check? Am I going to have to pay for a flight to Ottawa, pay to move my poo poo with a civvy company and then fly to Edmonton or is there some way I can get my moving expenses paid for? Is it worth taking down a random liscense plate and "driving" to Edmonton to get more cash to move my stuff?

Also, when I get to regiment do I just stay in the shacks and pay rations/quarters while I find a place? Do I need a memo or anything to get out of the shacks? I want to get a place off base with a buddy but we don't really want a PMQ. Will we get the PLD for living in Edmonton and how much exactly is it? I've heard anywhere from 400 - 800$ but it would be nice to know for sure so we can start getting an idea of what we can afford. Thanks boys I appreciate any help/advice.

Samu fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 4, 2011

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. We haven't met with Brookfield at all yet and it's pretty hard to get reliable information from anyone. I never wanted to commit fraud but I asked because apparently a bunch of guys do it to game the system. Can I CMTT my millitary kit from Gagetown to Edmonton and my stuff in storage from Ottawa to Edmonton seperately using the moving service?

How sure are you that they're looking to get rid of PLD? Because without it I might be screwed in terms of being able to find a decent place out west.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Morristron posted:

I am not an engineer, but having worked closely with a bunch of engineers overseas and trading stories, I get the impression their regiments works much the same as 1VP for admin purposes. So you probably will have to write a memo to move out of shacks, but it's not usually a big deal. They should pretty much automatically approve it.

Also, *do* move out of shacks. I strongly doubt they'll shitcan the PLD any time soon, and when I moved out as a private I actually *made* money because they make dudes in the shacks pay an absurd amount of money for the privilege of eating at the mess. Unless they toned it down in the last several years.

If you end up in Heavy Equipment let me know.

Yeah I'm definetly going to make money when I move out. We pay like 550$ for the priviledge of eating terrible mess food. There's no way I stay in the shacks, I loving hate sharing a room with other dudes and a year of it is more than enough.

I think you do need a memo to move out of the shacks, but they never get denied. Even on PAT a bunch of guys got permission to move off base and all our instructors have told us to get out of the shacks ASAP and get off paying for rations/quarters.

I want to push more towards the IEDD/EOD side of things, but I'll pretty much take any course I can get, so heavy equipment isn't out of the question.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

If you're going into basic training and worried about your fitness level start doing crossfit/P90x and get someone to watch your pushups. The PSP staff who grade what a proper push up is are really strict when it comes to form. You can have your chest touch the ground on the way down and still be told you aren't going low enough. I failed my pushups one the first PT test in basic because I didn't realise what I was doing wrong, got it corrected and did 40 on the second one. You'd honestly be surprised how difficult it is to do 19 PSP pushups, especially if you don't know what they expect.

For the shuttle run you can find an audio version of it online and run at a football field. Grip test and situps are impossible to fail. Make sure you get in shape before basic or you will wind up loving your troopmates over.

I'm a Sapper in 7 working days. gently caress yeah.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

That sandbag's inside out. Tear it down, rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I don't report untill next Tuesday, DP1 graduation on thursday.

They made us build an OP on force protection in the pissing rain, then right as we finished found a sandbag on the very bottom layer that was inside out, cut it open ad gave us a half hour to rebuild it. We weren't allowed to talk to each other either. I hate sandbags.

Samu fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 5, 2011