Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey mom and dad,
Do you know if a replacement tailor has been set up at the base after the last one retired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MFers owe me several thousand in back pay from 2014 and 2015. It was supposed to be paid in Feb. Waiting on the class action grievance. Wish we on the civvy side had an ombudsman

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looks like we're heading towards "No no, we can't do anything to cool the housing market, or pop that bubble, even if we have homeless, fully employed soldiers/sailers/whatever the airforce has." A+ country we have here ffs.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Depends on if severe injuries would be CAF reasons - I got out on 3B, though they extended me for 18 mo at the end. If I wasn’t hurt, I think I would have been a lifer because I liked soldiering, but I’m worried that it might hit different on the other side of paid school and priority government hiring.

I guess I’m looking for something more meaningful than getting paid way too much to write briefing notes and go to grad school. Last spring I had a meeting with Vance (lol) about a veteran initiative, and he mentioned that they want to re-up guys. I figured, I dunno, I knew which way was up in Battalion, where now it’s not as clear cut to know if I’m doing the right thing.

I dunno, I busted my rear end in physio for 6 years to finally scratch off all those MELs, and my motivation was always to get back in the mix. Lol I guess I wouldn’t really be proving anything, it’s not like the medical officer will give me a high five for getting back to those universality of service requirements.

Dude, there are ways to serve your country without signing away your right to tell the boss to go gently caress themselves. Public service has priority hiring for vets, and the ccg is real short handed right now. I might imagine other outfits to be similar.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Perhaps the military should consider hiring its top positions from outside the organization, if unable to find suitable candidates within?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Did you folks(on the civvy side) get saddled with the paycheque eating flaming shithawk, or do you fall under the same pay system as the forces?

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Man, that's what I hate about being a DND civilian. There's no orderly room, and there's virtually no guidance for figuring out stuff like insurance, retirement, pension, advancing your career, finding resources, etc. I didn't even know how to book leave or find my paycheque for months. You're totally on your own, or leaning on word-of-mouth to learn about anything.
DND isn't unique in this regard. The agency I work for is very similar. Have to read the contract for yourself, and just start phoning everyone on the phone list asking how the gently caress do I get a uniform these days? Who is in charge of travel claims? Where am I scheduled to work next shift? Where the hell did my overtime pay disappear to? After more than a decade of being told I have to shave, would somebody please issue me the respirator you insist I maintain readiness to wear? Or actually fit test me?

Ooh sorry that got ranty.

poo poo sucks everywhere these days.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Those seem like stunning policy changes.
Beards, face tattoos, and skirts for everyone!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looking forward to retiree meltdowns. This might give me a reason to go to Timmie's for a change.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Alright, thanks guys. That's kind of what I figured since it would open up more Civil Service job codes, Kingston is nice, and I can now be The Guy who brings up Waterloo in every weekly meeting.

Just out of curiosity, how did you all make out with the Christmas and New Years flight program this year? I can't imagine anyone's getting out of Esquimalt or Comox, Trenton seems to be getting hammered by that storm.

The vis might be unacceptable in comox, but the wind doesn't seem bad atm.
I can think of at least one director in the public service that likely doesn't have a masters degree, but rather, a master mariner certificate of competency. Probably about equivalent.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I thought it was strange that my pay book would have 2 separate categories
Strike - legal and strike - illegal

Sure, let me just sign an admission that I was taking part in an illegal act.
You have my solidarity. Get compensated fairly for a change.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yo I'm in a guild, and designated emergency worker no strike allowed, but off work with broke brain. What can I do to help out with solidarity?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

LOL, I'm on Vancouver Island, and work for the fed gov. Just happened to have enough exposure to mil life through cadets to know not to sign up through that stream.
Big thanks to every single serving member under admiral rank that I met telling me not to.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

didn't say which guild
:cheersbird:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

SRQ posted:

The search was someone lost a bolt or something, so whole building searched. Snacks are explicitely banned in the quarters rooms but nobody follows that.

You want ants? Cause that's how you get ants.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cool to spot a long blue braided ponytail in CADPAT at Costco.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

We had those too in the late 90s, called them Air Bordens.

We called em gumby runners out west. And yeah, those shorts were not a great idea for teenagers.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, it definitely makes me wish I had a bachelor's degree. Unfortunately I've got a two-year technical diploma from BCIT and that doesn't seem to be valid for any sort of upgrade path to officer entry, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Would emailing my local CFRC be the best way to get a definitive answer about that?
The quicker/ easier route might be looking at what degree program your BCIT credits might be applicable to, getting the bachelor's on your own, then applying to the cf for a commissioned role.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Unconfirmed rumors of TC getting better at recognizing sea time and courses. I've run into a few navy vets on civilian ships, but the majority were retirees working casual crew positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Gainsboro posted:

I wouldn't accuse someone trafficking forty five thousand rounds of ammo across the border of any less than armed insurrection. There's just no practical purpose for that many bullets. I wouldn't be surprised if that's more than any non-depot base has on hand at any given time.

A bulk flat of .22lr is 5k rounds on its own. If the guy was a frequent competitive shooter, buying in bulk, and had an array of loads, that many doesn't sound quite so exceptional.
If I read correctly, he was moving all his stuff, and didn't declare things properly / at all. Figured the military system was less likely to get searched, had all these prohibs he didn't want to get rid of, and just shipped it.