Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/iraq-conflict-canada-to-fly-weapons-to-kurdish-forces-battling-isis-1.2737723

Looks like we're shipping some boom over to the Kurds to help them with the ISIS problem. Too bad we have to send it to them for them to use instead of directly delivering boom to ISIS courtesy of 425.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Vadoc posted:

Refurbished Ross Rifles.

You know, as long as they put the bolt back together properly, that would be :canada: as gently caress.

And then something something Avro Arrow something something manly tears.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'd sign up if I weren't in school and somehow so out of shape I get winded running up an escalator to catch a train.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dumb question, probably asked a lot. Didn't see a FAQ though so, eh. Are there any blood tests required when joining?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

http://www.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/en/dynamic-article.page?doc=the-evolution-of-the-smart-gun/i5xyz550

Insert government ads "O Canada" jingle here. :canada:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SuperSix posted:

drat, the reason i read all these posts was that i was just considering applying

Yeah, same. Now I'm thinking I should just dump my life savings into the 6/49 and hope I don't need to find a cardboard box to live in.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I got nothing for searching ebay.ca for "canadian oiler engine parts".

I really want to know what it is the navy was typing in to get what they needed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ruse posted:

Just hop on a DWAN and see if the search history was "Korean War memorabilia" or "museum foreclosure exhibits for sale". Similar terms should net you the results you're looking for; the last one sure did for C-130 parts.

I'm not actually a Forces member, I just like it here :eng99:

(I have considered joining quite a bit, but I'm out of shape as all hell and have a few medical issues I need to sort out first. And I'm in college still.)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's a feudal Japan thing meaning "samurai with no lord or master". Dude's basically saying Harp-o was his honour-daddy and now that Trudeau's in charge he's a lone warrior.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Christ, every once in a while I think "hmm, maybe I should join, do something good for my country". I poke around at forces.ca, look at some jobs, then come here, read this thread, and nope out.

I guess I'll come back when Trump sticks his dick in the middle east and tells Trudeau to join him or he'll never see Ivanka again.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Every few months I consider joining but I've got a two year diploma instead of a degree so I can't be a noble without getting a bachelor's of something and enlisting seems like a bit of a waste of my two years.

Also I'm a horrendous swimmer so that's pretty much a big red X.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Huh. I heard the PT tests in basic had swimming components. Guess I heard wrong.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:stare: Jesus okay so maybe I am eligible to join the CF.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've been living in Victoria for a year and a half now and yeah, the drivers here generally suck. But hoooo boy, at least it's not Vancouver proper. I grew up and learned to drive there, and it took me a long time to un-Vancouver my driving habits.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Goobs posted:

Calm down snowflake. I'll put a trigger warning up next time for you. Just call me a Nazi because I disagree with your political views, that's what you lefties are good at.

source your quotes

and then gently caress off

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Four years ago I hated my job and considered joining up. I decided to stick it out instead and see if my job would get better.

My job got better and from reading this thread I'm really glad it did :stare:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

You know, every time I think "gently caress I'm underpaid and my employer is falling apart, I should look at one of the CF jobs in my field" I always come to this thread and am reminded that I probably shouldn't.

Still contemplating it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gainsboro posted:

If you have any kind of uni degree, any field, the commissioned officer route is the way to go. The pay gap is absurd.

If you join a tech trade and are good at your job (or huff your boss's farts every day), you might make Sgt in 10 years, for 96k annual gross (on 2024's pay scale).

If you join a tech trade and your career stalls out for reasons beyond your control, you might only make 85k as a Cpl.

If you join as an officer and are objectively bad at your job, you will be a Captain with a high pay incentive in 10 years, for a whopping 120k annual.

If you join as an officer and are even halfway competent, you will be the one-eyed man leading the kingdom of the blind, likely making LCol in 10 years for 150k a year.

My stance is that we're overpaid for the work that we do, but underpaid for the poo poo we put up with.

Yeah, it definitely makes me wish I had a bachelor's degree. Unfortunately I've got a two-year technical diploma from BCIT and that doesn't seem to be valid for any sort of upgrade path to officer entry, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Would emailing my local CFRC be the best way to get a definitive answer about that?