Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Is anybody here familiar with how hard it is to get into the RMC through the ROTP? I've been looking at my options as a young dude with good grades from high school, and joining the military has been something I've been very interested in for a few years now. The idea of a paid for education, guaranteed work after graduating, and servin the country :canada: is very appealing. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to say gently caress the RMC and see about doing the civi school ROTP instead.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

compressioncut posted:

It's not a choice. RMC looks at you first and gives yea or nay, then you get offered civ u or nothing at all - RMC most commonly rejects you if you don't have their prerequisite requirements (I didn't have BC math 12. Hello civ u).

You can engineer your way into a civ school by taking a program not offered at Kingston, like nursing or what have you, but that's about the only choice you get.

Oh, okay. Well, I've got ~7 months before I need to get serious about applying, so this is something I'll have a fair amount of time to think about.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I'll be cutting your guy's grass this year wooo

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

Congratulations on your extra duties, Pte.

Nah, I'm just a civie working for roads and grounds

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

compressioncut posted:

Ha I've never seen more people do PT on their own than I have since I've been in the AF. That's in addition to the two days a week of mandatory that people look forward to. You also get a free pass to the local rec center (unit is not on the main base). The fitness level of people at the squadron is so much higher than the local navy schlubs it's astounding. Could be a west coast thing, but the sailors are here too so maybe not. I presume those guys are mostly just depressed with their lot in life.

Hell, even us lowly civies working through DnD at 4 Wing get free passes to the local rec center.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 19, 2013

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...nd-jobs-report/

So how bad is it in Cold Lake anyway? There isn't really any data in the article.

It's really bad. I live near Cold Lake, and work at 4 Wing through DnD on a casual contract. Have some fun rough numbers. Looking at the local online trading post thing, right now, in the town right beside base(Cold Lake ofc), a nice 1 bedroom basement suite unfurnished with utilities included costs 1800 a month. A 1 year lease on a 2 bedroom 1000 sq foot older house(utilities included) costs 2200 a month unfurnished. To actually go and buy a house, a small ~700 square foot single story house with garage costs ~250k. A decent sized 1200 sq foot home for a family of 5-ish with garage is going for 325 thousand. On top of that, Cold Lake's property's taxes are some of the highest in western Canada, at 7.15%, with property values sky high due to the demand from all the oilfield workers.

When I worked at the local pizza joints around here for about a year, about 5 of the 10 drivers were all guys in the military. A healthy portion of the Walmart's workforce are all guys in the military. So, to answer your question, it's pretty bad out here. Also, living here you have to deal with every single person just loving having to own a big jacked up truck with aftermarket mufflers, regardless if they need/could use one, or hell, even afford if they were to miss a paycheque. The local highways are practically terrifying to drive on because of all the 20 somethings driving these vehicles around like idiots, as well as drinking and driving back from the bush parties. If you haven't got the picture yet, I'll state it plainly. If you have the opportunity/are told you're being posted here, do every possible thing you can to make it not happen within reason. Almost everyone I know that are in the Forces hates it out here, and wish they never had to come. Save yourself :negative:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

If you don't mind me asking, what type of aircraft did you get in as pilot for, and how selective did you find the process? I'm thinking of applying for pilot in the next couple months, so I'd love to hear your experience if you'd like to share/if you can without getting in poo poo for breaking opsec

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mantle posted:

I'm applying to be a legal officer which is a purple trade so I get to choose my colors. Which working uniform is the best?

Navy no.5's :getin:

E: realtalk IMO the navy's black on white with gold looks the best of the three uniforms, the air force one just looks ghastly, and the army one is pretty good too.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 24, 2013

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DrakeriderCa posted:

Navy uniform is the most stylin. Can you still have a beard in the navy?

I could be wrong but I think when they're on shore they're allowed to grow a beard, but if they're at sea they have to shave everyday.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ruse posted:

Not allowed to have beards at sea now because the DRAGR mask needs a "perfect seal", because y'know, the CHEMOX masks never had that... :downsgun:

Was I right about beards allowed when ashore though?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What is the current intake/availability like for pilot? I have some other irons in the fire right now for career ideas but being a pilot has always been something of a dream of mine, even though I now know how much bullshit they deal with and how little flight time they get these days. The only thing I sorta dread would be being posted to Cold Lake after having to live in that hellhole for 7 and a half years but meh

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

Unless you go fighter you should be able to stiff arm YOD. I guess it's also possible to see it as a rotary wing dude but far less likely. I too fear Cold Lake.

Yeah Cold Lake has that small SAR rotary wing squadron, plus I'd want to go fighter anyways. Anything but one of the dopey planes like an aurora or something really, but I'd still 100% prefer fighter. Working roads and grounds there and seeing how loving stupid our government has gotten with cutting funding at every single level they possibly can, on top of the general melancholic glum that most of the guys had, was pretty eye opening. OTOH I'd be reasonably close to the Rockies and some great fishing/waterways, so I think I could suffer through it alright.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

Fair enough but unless it's your life dream or you're related to a hornet pilot and know what you're getting into, fighter force probably isn't as cool as it seems on the surface.

I know a couple hornet pilots that I've talked to a bunch about it and I know that if I did get in that there'd be loads of bullshit. On that note, which type of pilot would tend to get the most flight time(outside of heavy lift aircraft)?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Now if only they could get helicopters that weren't 50+ years old to adorn those hangars

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I hope we destroy all of the middle east. 1 Canadian is worth 200 million other people(this is the American reaction to 9/11, but stands true)

Wow buddy, get hosed. Unless of course, you jest

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Let's just all grab a double double and have a think on it, eh

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody here have any experience on joining one of the reserve unit bands, or what its like in general? My music instructor mentioned that he had done it way back, and joining the reg force band down the road is something I've been flirting with the idea of pursuing.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mantle posted:

I'm a reserve musician. What do you want to know? As far as I'm concerned it's the best gig ever for a musician, especially if you are still in university. Paid tuition, summer employment, and a job after you graduate actually related to your field. I would say the experience varies a lot on the individual band. Which reserve band are you thinking of applying to?

Well, I guess one of my first questions is what kind of skill level do I need to have in your experience? Like I can play most of the main service marches, Colonel Bogey, etc., but I'm still re-learning my instrument (euphonium) after a 3 year break, so I'm still a little rusty and things like double-tonguing are still outside what I can currently do. If I end up doing it, which basically will come down to whether I have the skill for it, I'm going to apply to the Loyal Edmonton Regiment band. I'm actually going to go in and do a sit-in with them this week.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Addman posted:

Ok thanks, I have heard this force test is pretty hard to gently caress up. I have a couple questions if that is ok, I am joining infantry, will I still have to do the pushup/situp/grip test? Or is it only the force test and thats it? Obviously I am expecting to do a lot of pushups in bmq... It is refreshing to know that they need people everywhere now - I don't know if its bullshit or not but I heard they were only hiring a couple people in each area for infantry the past couple years.

I am not horrendously overweight, only by about 20-30lb but having been rotting behind a desk the past 7 years, and I am pretty poor so I don't want a gym membership. While preparing to join would it suffice to do something like 100 pushups, 100 situps programs and run for like an hour every other day? The fitness info I have read was from a couple of years ago, I am not sure if it changed. When doing the pushups are you doing press ups or just regular pushups with your elbows outwards?

Merry christmas

For the running give the couch to 5k program a try, its pretty good, and if you find you're way above what its offering or whatever then you just skip ahead a few days in the program as you go. If you can afford a barbell and a set of weights plus a bare basic squat rack and bench off like Kijiji.ca(you can find em real cheap) or whatever I'd recommend just doing the starting strength program in the YLLS sub forum in their newbie guide.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

You're not going to put a squat rack into a small apartment. That's just silly.

Yeah, this. You need a fairly decent chunk of space to put it in, so in this case the gym would probably be the only real option for squats(best lift ever), unless you had a friend or family member with some unused garage/basement space who's also interested in getting started lifting. Regardless, the stuff I mentioned is going like, way beyond what the FORCES test requires from everything I've heard talking to the guys when I worked at 4 Wing for a summer and when I sat in with one of the reserve bands. But the way I see it, if you're trying to get to a baseline fitness level to get into the Forces, you may as well go all in on getting into shape, even if only for yourself.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cross fit is to fitness like chiropracty is to medicine (in other words, total bullshit where the only benefits come from doing things inadvertently that other real practices do with legitimacy)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Addman posted:

The reserves application goes like this in my area
1. Apply Online to create your online profile on the site
2. Fill in the application package (I am 99 percent sure this is the exact same set of documents I had to fill out for reg)
3. Collect the required ORIGINAL documentation (birth certificate, id, transcripts etc)
4. Book a contact interview with your recruiter

Yes as I understand you are expected to be responsible for your own pt for reserves, there is basically none that is organized. According to a MCpl friend of mine in the reserves anyways, I am not a member and I never have been. All I have done is air cadets for a couple years in Trenton.

To be honest I am sorry you feel that way but I completely understand, I did a lot more community service (100s of hours) in years prior but it was long enough ago that I can't include it in my application. I did the football volunteering with the purpose of joining the army if that is what you are referring to, it was every night of the week except Sunday for about 6 hours for 13 weeks the first time I did it and about half that the second time I did it for another team two years later or so.

Freemasonry has limited volunteer programs that are sporadic such as masonichip which works with the police to create a child identification kit for children at public events such as fairs. The parents can get a package that collects photos, video, voice recordings, digital fingerprints, dental impressions, saliva swabs as well as traditional statistical information (height, weight, hair and eye colour, etc.) in order to indentify your child if they are lost or missing.

If you could help me find any sort of volunteering resources I would greatly appreciate it. I am not looking to trick the system in any way which is the main reason I have waited so long to ask every question imaginable and apply. If I wasn't such an idiot in highschool it would have been much easier for me. When I applied last year they weren't even accepting people, so now all my work that I have done is aging and will soon fall off the application. I switched to reserves so that I could hopefully get a spot and not waste another year, with possible hopes of waiting a couple years, doing an OT after finding out I enjoy the occupation (I know reserves is not "try before you buy" but I would rather get into the reserves than never get a chance to be in the army). If you are in my area and want someone to volunteer with I'd be happy to join you.

Volunteering at a cadet corps is actually pretty sweet if the officers(who are reservists themselves) and the other volunteers are cool. They're everywhere, its pretty rewarding in terms of getting to do cool things yourself as well as help out with facilitating kids having fun, and yeah. Would recommend if you're really looking for some steady volunteer hours.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's actually something I'm rather worried about. I have ADHD, and know I can function without my Concerta(extended release Ritalin) especially when I'm in a more regimented lifestyle. I'm just worried about how I'm going to go about the application process for musician a few years down the road when I cross that bridge. My psychiatrist told me that if I go off the meds for a year, and have a written statement from her about being mentally fit or whatever, that it would go over fine. I'm just too cynical from the stories I've read and heard to believe it would be that simple though.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
LpGood luck haha. If you get Cold Lake, hope you like hunting, fishing, Camping, or other related activities because that's about the only thing to do

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Go post that opinion in the Canpoli thread and watch the reactions

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
With our soldiers down to 60 rounds a year for target practice, I really doubt we're going to be able to claim that our soldiers are better 1-1 compared to Americans for much longer, if that's even been a real thing for the last decade

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
C1's are loving incredible.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sir John Eh posted:

Probably because the other guys want to spend even less.

And where do you have any proof of that? I mean, the Liberals have a long history of cutting funding for the Forces, but from everything the NDP have been saying they have no intentions of further cuts, and he'll, they've even hinted at reforming Canadian Defense Procurement

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was in sea cadets for 4 odd years and I'll never understand the kids who were so fired up about how much they thought being in cadets was going to make them the greatest armyman ever when they joined up. I mean, from what I understand, there are a few small bonuses and upsides associated with it, but nothing worth making an rear end of yourself over or really even mentioning once you're in

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The school system is fine, and oddly enough the Catholic high school has better teachers compared to the public school. But the social studies teacher at the public school was one of the 3 people who wrote the textbook for Alberta, so eh, YMMV with either of the systems. Really, it's just a medium-large sized town with a base tacked on, with a small-medium town a 30 minute drive away. The fishing and water sports are awesome, but the social life is kinda meh.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's not great, but not terrible

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That bread though

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wellll, he kinda has followed through on about 20% of his promises and is working on about 40% of the rest

https://trudeaumetre.polimeter.org

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, how bad of an idea is it to attempt to get a commission as an infantry officer these days. Asking for a friend :v:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, I definitely prefer to go the commissioned route to get them sweet gubmint dollars to cover a university degree. There are a few trades I have my eye on (maybe electrician, or perhaps musician, gently caress me right), but I don't know what else would be interesting. I'd consider joining the Navy but lol at our current fleet, and my eyes are too hosed up for the fun Airforce jobs, so I'm not sure what roles in the Army are worth looking at.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

compressioncut posted:

Hello all. I have finally finished Phase 3 (wings) flying training on helicopters - that was a long one. Even got the posting I wanted.

It got a little tough on the stupid loving Jet Ranger, but the 412 is a beaut. I would say Phase 2 was more stressful overall, but this was a bag drive for sure.

Now, or at least one day, I'll be flying Cyclones. If I don't retire first.

Congratulations man!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can just imagine flights of drones in deathmatches

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What, are the guys not drinking water or something

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

ham steak with mustard sauce

Unquestionably the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today after fixing his car, I mentioned it to my grandpa who served for 20 years from around the 70's-90's in the medics corp, and he said it was really freaking bad (and this is from a sometimes mildly racist and occasionally bigoted person). Like he told me had a chief WO who made it a point of pride to change up his wife every few years with whoever the cutest new private or corporal was, and that's just what he mentioned offhand.