Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001
I don't post enough for anyone to form a hatred of me strong enough to warrant a custom title.
Another person stuck in limbo until April checking in. Could anyone give me an example of what an average day is like for a combat engineer? I wanted to go in the infantry but I've heard that it's going to be closed for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001
I don't post enough for anyone to form a hatred of me strong enough to warrant a custom title.
Does anyone have any insight on what kind of direction the infantry is going to be taking now that Afghanistan's winding down?

Honestly, I go away to basic early next month but I'm wondering if there's going as be much training/field exercises as there is now when I finally get to my battalion.

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001
Believe me, nobody was more surprised than me. I was originally trying to get into combat engineer, but when it closed I figured I was screwed this year.

Queue the recruiting centre calling and offering me an infantry position. :wtc:

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001

Fraser CDN posted:

Thats weird, from everyone I talk to infantry is closed. Did you have infantry on your choices list?

It was my second choice. It would have been my first, but I went with combat engineer since I was told there was only going to be thirty spots for infantry this year. I actually ended up interviewing for the infantry because combat engineer filled up while I waited for an interview and medical.

acumen" posted:

I don't want to be a damper on your future, and I really hope you enjoy your time in the military, however we're not going in a good direction.

That's kind of the impression I'm starting to get from what I've heard. I'm just hoping to learn as much I can from the people who've been on tours while they're still around.

Cojac fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 22, 2011

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001

Vadoc posted:

Don't forget going to Smuggler's and drinking until the strippers are hot.

One of the most surreal experiences in my admittedly short career was seeing two senior NCOs in full DEUs getting absolutey smashed at Smuggler's, then dancing up on fat ugly girls at the Harb :wtc:

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001

Simkin posted:

Thank god. I'd been wondering for AGES of what sort of force we were. It certainly isn't one to be reckoned with.

Re: boots - I say the easiest would be to just go the route of the US and give everyone X dollars worth of boot chit per year and have a list of approved manufacturers and styles. No one single boot is going to please everyone, ever, so why try?

Great news to anyone in 1 VP. This fiscal year we get 75% less than last year for all training and activities. Woooooooo. Militia bullets and CAXes for everyone. :sigh: Not that we need it as part of a high readiness battle group or anything.

I'll be there with a small batch of new guys next week. Anything I should know about battalion life, the base, or just Edmonton in general?

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001

Simkin posted:

We're just in post-ex right now after Ex Patricia Justice, and are getting ready to do some super happy fun brigade and then area level high-readiness training that will see us out in the field for all of april and may. I've found Edmonton to be alright, albeit a bit cold and further from the mountains than I was hoping. The base is pretty well appointed in terms of a decent gym, but you'll end up using the bn one anyhow. Snow removal is not a priority on base, though.

Where are you coming in from?

I'm coming in from Meaford, so I'm looking forward to seeing people that aren't the toothless mutants that inhabit Owen Sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

Is the one-legged stripper still in Owen Sound?

I've only heard stories about her. The worst I've seen has been a few obviously pregnant strippers.

Fraser CDN posted:

No Neck still on the prowl for army dick?

I think I saw her once or twice at the Harb, but she never took a run at anybody I knew.

Morristron posted:

Oh God, Owen Sound was the saddest place I've ever been. How do they avoid self-immolating in despair over there?

A lot of alcohol.