Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Agent Escalus posted:

Which province are you talking about, again? I was born and raised in Vancouver, but frankly it seems that, just like in the states, any decent place to live in the nation comes saddled with shitloads of local taxes. (I spent 5 years in Calgary and they bitch just as loudly over there too...albeit over the city's tax. Edmontonians probably do the same.)

Nova Scotia. I don't know what your municipal property taxes are like in the GVRD, but Income and sales taxes here are much higher than BC. Income taxes alone accounted for a several thousand dollar a year "pay cut" when I moved from BC to here. I can only compare property taxes to Victoria, where I lived, but they are about 20-30% higher here for the same property value with no increase in services.

Sales tax is now at 15%, tied with PEI for highest in the nation.

I don't know why the Calgarians are bitching, unlike the progressive tax rates everywhere else, Alberta has a 5% flat income tax that greatly benefits anyone middle class and up.

e: I'm not bitching about Taxes in general, since I know they are important and the federal ones pay my salary, just slightly bewildered about how high they are over here, (and really the Atlantic provinces in general, Newfoundland is higher than here and only Quebec is higher than them - but you get a ton more for your taxes in Quebec) for provinces that are traditionally "Have-Not".

Commander Jebus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

tuyop posted:

Well, except the air force. There are no pros to being in the air force.

I hear it does wonders for your golf game.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Mr.48 posted:

I have gone my entire career in the CF (4 years) without putting my DEU's on once. I loving hate parades.

I don't see how this possible unless you are in some weird reserve unit.

You've never done a course grad parade or remembrance day ceremony?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Mr.48 posted:

I just show up in combats and get told to do something else while everyone parades. Then the SM lectures me for 5 minutes at the end, which is totally worth it to miss half an hour of drill with 20 minutes of standing at attention while some goofball officer takes his sweet time with inspection.

Reserves.txt

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Canuck-Errant posted:

Oh, neat. I found out today:

all our LSVWs are broken and cannot start
all our MilCOTS are spontaneous fire hazards and cannot be parked within 2m of another vehicle or building
all our MLVWs are restricted and cannot be used over 60km/h, or on highways

Our only working vehicle at this point is a big blue van.

Welcome to the Comms Reserve. :suicide:

I can't really get into the details but I just got back from a month at sea on Canada's only currently working Submarine and lets just say things got pretty interesting in regards to some equipment. 100m+ underwater is not when you want poo poo to fail.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Lassitude posted:

Actually I was just talking about fighter aircraft and submarines really, not the entire thing. Military forces are useful for a lot more than just waging war, but maintaining submarines and fighter aircraft at this point seems useless.

Which goes to show how little you know about what we do in the submarine service. Not really your fault, our problem has always been that while we do a lot of real ops, its mostly covert and we can't really talk about them.

Submarines are a huge force multiplier, and we do all kinds of stuff that's not just "cold war poo poo", I'm just not sure how much I can share.

I will say that there is a reason why getting the Vic back in service right now is the Navy's #1 priority (2nd is Felex).

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Canuck-Errant posted:

And #3 is becoming the RCN again :v:

Well, I did get back my executive curl...

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

And if you want to be CSE but also want a challenging job (given infantry I'd think so), think about going subs.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

tuyop posted:

I'm quite scared of fire, though. :ohdear:

Don't worry, on a sub it is definitely the smoke that will kill you

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

moker posted:

Are you on the HMCS Victoria? Our sub visited BC one year in 2007 or so and I met a few of the crewmembers(I think it was in the docks at the time)...the only one I remember was some cook with full sleeves who I'm pretty sure was drunk as hell

No, I'm HMCS Corner Brook right now, but if rumor holds I will be heading over to the Vicky later this year to eventually assume the CSE HOD position.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

I'm a sub-surface NCS Engineer, and both HammerofHope and The Amputee House are trainee NCS Engineers.

Its hard to keep people in the job not because its a terribly difficult or odious job (Its not) but because Private companies pay more and frankly once you are past your Head of Department [at-sea] phase (typically within 5-6 of commissioning) you won't be doing any sailing and thus there is little difference in what you will be doing vs someone in the civilian sector.

MS Eng is similar in career path and training requirements, the only difference is the equipment that you specialize in, and that [in the surface world] MS engineers focus more on Damage Control and drills than their NCS counterparts.

If you have any specific questions feel free to fire away.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Well, most of the people I know chose MS or CS simply based on what their engineering field is. Electrical and Computer (Software or Hardware) typically went CS, while Mechanical goes MS. Civil and Chemical Engineers are equally [un]qualified for either job, and most around when I joined ended up in MS. Frankly I know a few people who chose MS simply because it includes (Included? Not sure if its still done) 6 months in the UK at HMS Sultan. Very shortsighted way to chose but there you go. Course' It was easier back in my day because you joined as a 44U (untrained), and could choose either MS(44B) or CS(44C) as you went along in your training, because they were technically sub specialties within the same trade.

Letting Science majors in is a more recent thing, I know when I joined it was engineering only. You will do extra courses in your training to bring you up to the basic level of engineering knowledge required. At least that was the normal course of action when I was going through training. Its not particularly difficult, and I really wouldn't worry.

In both occupations your first three to four years will be training (two of which will be at sea), culminating in you getting your Head of Department qualification and getting on the list to go back to sea as a HOD. The challenges associated with the HOD position are mostly management and personnel related. Don't join either job expecting to actually work on equipment, you're a manager.

Post HOD you'll most likely be posted to Ottawa to work in one of the many many engineering jobs located on the Hull side of the river. Hope you like Project Management, because thats our bread and butter after your sea time.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Freeze posted:

I believe people in MS go to the UK for 4 months now.

I'm actually in, and enjoying, a Project Management course right now so that's good to hear. On the website it says that the Forces will fully fund your Masters degree in certain fields (Underwater Acoustics for example). How frequently does that happen?

Again, thanks for the info.

There are generally two ways to go about getting your masters while you are in; the first is part time, through an accredited distance education program. This has the advantage of you being able to pick whatever you want (MBA being by far the most popular amongst engineers like myself who have no real desire to get back into an engineering masters), and the disadvantage of you having to work a regular job and juggle your courses. The military will give you up to 30 days of academic leave a year, in order to attend seminars and such.

The other way is to apply to a sponsored master program. The message comes out once a year with a list of all the post grad options available, and you can apply for whatever one you want. The advantage is that if you are selected, the program becomes your full time job and you get a free move to whatever city holds the school you are going to (a friend of mine just got accepted to the space science centre at the university of Tenassee). The downside being that you are limited to whatever post grad programs the military requires at the time and competition for the more popular programs (MBA) can be feirce. As well, each program has a job associated with it that you must fill upon grad, which can be in lovely locations ( my buddy has to work in cold lake for 2-3 years)

As for when, you can do the first option whenever, and typically the second option is either done after your a/HOD training while you are waiting for a boat to open up for HOD, or, far more often right after your HOD phase is done.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

tuyop posted:

If it was a white silly hat it was actually a warrant or sergeant. The officer hats are green and somehow look less silly.

The NCM hats are Navy Peak Caps with a cover over them, while the officer ones are special ordered from the UK ( at the members expense)... They are like a few hundred dollars.

(I have two really good friends that are both IG's in gagetown)

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The reserves are awful at having information available. :(

I read this as Members of Parliament for a brief second

Man, if this were the case I'd watch question period everyday.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Going to Rimouski for Wet Pressurized Escape training as an Anglophone is always fun. For every person who doesn't mind your crappy french there are 5 old guys at the Tim Hortons that see you as some kind of barbarian invaders.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Its a historic week, Canada now has two subs in the water for the first time in two years! And one of them is the Victoria, which has been in dry dock for 6 years... Hooray.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Flanker posted:

I want to share your enthusiasm. But it's kinda just depressing.

It's a historic week! A Seaking didn't crash!

Its very embarrassing. A Shameful Navy.

On the plus side its one more step towards have a weapons certified platform. Probably by the end of the year now.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Looks like someone leaked the fear/rumor that PLD is going away next year to the Canadian Press... This is one issue I hope is politicized, as I'm going to be in Esquimalt next year and a loss of 800/month would be hard to swallow.

Still, now that it looks pretty solid that it will be going away I can budget around it.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Hell, there will be Lt(N)s in Victoria visiting food banks while trying to pay for the mortgage on their 650,000 home (bought at the height of the bubble)

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Technically our Captains are Capt(N)'s.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

ub posted:

(I miss beard growing competitions at sea where anyone could not shave and look like a complete bag of poo poo for weeks regardless of their ability to grown any sort of decent beard :))

This is called "Being a submariner"

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Well, I'll take my aircraft carrier gift wrapped I guess...

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

Guys, if you honestly believe that a Conservative majority is going to be good for the Forces, get your head outta the sand. What the Lord Harper giveth (F-35s) the Lord Harper taketh away (funding will have to be reduced in other areas, and I guarantee it'll be from training and equipment budgets.)

That's not how capital project money (vote 5) works really... Once it's allocated from the TB you can't use O&M money (Vote 1) to pay for it.

It's afghanistan that's syphoning all your training money away, not jets. For a party that has made it's bones about being big on security I can't see them cutting our budget in any substantial way.

(Not huge conservative supporter [anymore]... Just saying).

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

ub posted:

Came in to work today and saw a strange and unfamiliar sight: two Canadian submarines in decent-looking condition, side-by-side in the water. A momentous occasion for the Canadian Navy!

Spoken truely like someone who hasn't been inside the Corner Brook.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

It wouldnt be so bad if Canadians weren't force fed the peacekeeping myth so bad by successivel governments. This thread and maybe the TFR one are the only Canada based threads where the response to any news about the military isn't pages of whinging and :ohdear: militarization!

Canadian Soldiers? In my city?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Elgar posted:

There are no RMC kiddies because they stopped sending people on phase training until they have their BBB profile. Which is gay as gently caress as now it is going to delay people getting fully qualified by a year.

Which means all the guys that were supposed to do ph 3 last year are now doing it this summer.

Wow, considering the number of people I went to school with that didn't get their B's until 2nd semester, fourth year, that's got to hurt.

Although I guess they are putting them on SLT every summer until they qualify, which if they take slt seriously (which no one did when I went) would help speed things up

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

As your posting to Gagetown was restricted (as in you couldn't take your stuff with you), this posting should be a full move to Edmonton, which means they [Brookfield Relocation Services] will perform a full move of all your Household goods and effects from Ottawa to Edmonton. As well you are entitled to 5 days back in Ottawa to aid in the move of your goods. The catch is they will either move all your stuff from Ottawa to Edmonton, or all your stuff from Gagetown to Edmonton, but not both (So hopefully you don't have a lot of crap in Gagetown now). If you choose to fly back all the bookings will be done on your behalf.

If you choose to "drive" back you'll get a different benefit package based on driving from Ottawa (because that's where they assume your car is) to Edmonton. Off the top of my head its 7 days accommodations and meals plus 52cents/km. I wouldn't recommend trying to defraud the system, in my experience they are much, much more vigilant than they have been in years past.

You should also be entitled to a House Hunting Trip (HHT) to Edmonton, which is a seven day paid trip to secure a place so that your HG&E has a destination (They absolutely hate it when you have goods in transit without a definite place to put them on the other end)

You can check your posting message to ensure you are entitled to full movement of HG&E, and you should also be directed to complete your pre-registration at IRP-PRI.COM

Your relocation consultant should have all the answers you are looking for, but in most cases they just tell you to read the policy here

PLD rates are Here (Scroll down). It still shows 684 dollars for Edmonton, but there have been serious rumblings that PLD is either going away or being severely reduced next year, so for once actually follow the official policy and do not factor in your PLD when calculating how much rent you can afford.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Elgar posted:

I thought travel was 500Km a day? And, you may be able to hop through the US for cheaper gas. as that is what a few of my friends have done.

It is. If he drives from Gagetown it would be about 10 days. Its seven from Ottawa to Edmonton.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

They should scrap sea pay and come up with something that doesn't reward all the useless plugs that manage to get out of every sailing.

Its particularly bad in the Submarine world, as we have very little depth (ha) of personnel, and thus you get guys on their 2-3 year shore tour that are doing more sailing that people posted to a boat (and getting sea pay and subca)

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

ub posted:

On the other hand, there is more hardship to being posted sea-going unit than simply being at sea. Having an ever-changing and uncertain sailing schedule can make for a pretty poo poo life for the days you are alongside. You can't really commit to anything that requires regular attendance, not to mention strain on any sort of relationship you're trying to build or maintain. Comes with the job though. :)

Agree, but swap 'Sea' for 'Field' and 'sailing' for 'exercise' and you've just described the Army as well. Whatever solution they find we should at least give a look at (but we wont). The sub world is extra hosed up because we get Sub Crewing allowance only when we are posted to a boat (or sea training) not attach posted so a ton of guys are getting gently caress out of thousands of dollars (because if you are continuously getting Sub crewing for more than 2 years you can still get it for up to three years after you are done on the sub, but tons of attach posted people can't claim it)

Furthermore they don't have a Home Port Div to hide behind so they get posted away every few years as well, which I find is much harder on relationships even than going to sea for a few months a year.

As an aside, what trade are you? Genuinely curious. You should come out to a Victoria Goon meet when I get back to the area. There are some legit good people out there.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Yeah, they were in the middle of command training too. I got a text from a buddy of mine on the Corner Brook as they were surfaced and closing in on Esquimalt. No one was seriously injured, but it made for some terrifying few minutes.

If you are wondering, there are normally a few key pieces of equipment and some very clear procedures to keep this from happening. I won't speculate as to what happened but I'm sure I'll get the full story tomorrow...

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Its a lot more of a bitch now that you have to do DFT. I've never seen any money in my account earlier than 10 days so for ultra short notice travel its always out of pocket.

I don't know why the CF hates Cheques so much now.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

As far as PLD goes, there hasn't been any official word yet so take anything you hear with a grain of salt.

Even if it is cancelled (and I will admit its looking very likely), the decision will be highly political (and likely to be overturned) and there will likely be some type of replacement, albeit probably less money.

And I thought they were just replacing LDA with a daily field pay like it used to be?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Still has a long, long way to go down before it gets anywhere near as bad as when I joined (97)

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

ub posted:

Quite happy as an NCM, tyvm. :)

MARS officers can keep their exciting world of backstabbing and douchbagery. I have to believe that the navy has the worst officers in the CF.

You know for all their lovely personality issues I know a fuckton of extremely competent MARS officers. There's a ton less backstabbing in subs too.

Unlike the rest of the navy, subs are actually looking at having more platorms than we can crew next year (that would be three), so it will be super quick advancement for any mars or engineering officer that want to cross over.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

compressioncut posted:

Try getting air force male DEU OCdt slip ons on a navy base. They gave me female ones that don't even fit on the epaulet flaps of my shirts. That and there's like a 6-8 week wait for plastic nametags (air force is blue) so I get to wear my sweater for the foreseeable future. Fortunately(?) the summer around here has been like winter so far.

Hillside mall has a place that will make up plastic name tags for you that are pretty much identical to the ones you are issued. It'll cost you ten bucks but if you need one quickly.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

The Ballcap headdress is the greatest thing ever and I'm very glad I will never ever have to wear a Beret again.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

In other news:

quote:

UNCLASSIFIED
THE CDS IS PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT THE GOVERNMENT IS RESTORING THE HISTORIC NAMES OF THE ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY (RCN), THE CANADIAN ARMY (CA), AND THE ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE (RCAF)
THE INITIATIVE TO RESTORE THE HISTORIC NAMES OF CANADA’S THREE FORMER SERVICES IS AIMED AT RESTORING AN IMPORTANT AND RECOGNIZABLE PART OF CANADA S MILITARY HERITAGE. THESE WERE THE SERVICES THAT FOUGHT AND EMERGED VICTORIOUS FROM THE SECOND WORLD WAR AND KOREA AND CONTRIBUTED TO THE DEFENCE OF EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA FROM THE EARLY DAYS OF THE COLD WAR. THESE WERE ALSO THE SERVICES THAT PAVED THE WAY IN TERMS OF INTERNATIONAL PEACEKEEPING MISSIONS
THE CHANGE WILL BE IMPLEMENTED BY RENAMING THE THREE ENVIRONMENTAL COMMANDS. MARITIME COMMAND WILL BE NAMED THE ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY LAND FORCE COMMAND WILL BE NAMED THE CANADIAN ARMY AND AIR COMMAND WILL BE NAMED THE ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE. IN THIS WAY WE WILL REGAIN AN IMPORTANT PART OF OUR COLLECTIVE HERITAGE WITHIN A UNIFIED EFFECTIVE CANADIAN FORCES COMMAND STRUCTURE
MORE DETAILED INFORMATION WILL BE PROMULGATED BY YOUR RESPECTIVE CHAINS OF COMMAND AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE
FOR GREATER CERTAINTY, ALL CURRENT RESPECTIVE COMMAND ORDERS, RULES, DIRECTIVES, INSTRUCTIONS OR SIMILAR INSTRUMENTS REMAIN IN FULL FORCE AND EFFECT UNTIL AMENDED TO REFLECT THE NAME CHANGE OF THE COMMAND

This CANFORGEN surprised the hell out of my office today. Expect an official announcement tomorrow.

I get to use the RCN post nominal again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

This is entirely a symbolic name change. Nothing will actually change day to day. Same combined boot camps, same cornflakes. As My Spirit Otter pointed out the CF remains unified.

All that happened is that we are now using the old names of the separate services that the CF 'voluntarily' stopped using after unification. We never actually 'disbanded' either the RCN or the RCAF (which is why the government didn't need to seek royal assent to start calling the Navy and Airforce Royal again), just renamed the commands and told everyone they couldn't use the old titles.