Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
Posting from KAF.

Can corporals get into this fat camp thing? Getting paid to work out sounds awesome. I am lazy an flabby as all hell. So I'm par for my trade E TENEBRIS LUX.

I miss being a ballistic locksmith, somedays I don't know why I VOT'd out of the infantry. At least I got another tour super fast.

I will probably go regs, I might change up trades again. Pondering reg force weapons tech or airframe tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Exeter posted:

Dude I was always hoping I would run into you someday. 3PPCLI goon here, halfway done my tour with the OMLT and loving it (read: bored as gently caress). Maybe I'll see you in KAF in a few months.

Hello internet stalker!

Fun hint: I see Sgt Bailey every morning. He gets to see the weather slide I prepared.

give me a shout, you don't take PMs

theclemens AT geemaledotcom

I need an OMLT shoulder patch, so much cooler than the fuckin lion king thing on my arm.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Exeter posted:

...you have a girlfriend...

Um. You aren't a very good stalker, you clearly don't know me that well.

Yeah I wouldn't mind grabbing some patches.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
Sucks to hear about reg force infantry closing up. Although that will reverse itself after a while.

I am still a filthy reservist. Bored to tears in the INT branch. I want out. Either out or reg force combat arms. I should have taken the offer to go 1 RCR no strings attached back in '07.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

surivdaoreht posted:

My aptitude test is booked...

I DID COCAINE!!

There's a guy I work with now who partied pretty hard when he was younger. He was honest about it and it didn't seem to affect his hiring process.

The aptitude test is pretty easy. Don't be tired or hungover or some poo poo. Oh, and don't have down syndrome.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
Man, I traded a trench for a desk, and I loving hate it.

when I get back to my unit I want PLQ and/or HUMINT and/or interrogator, or else I'll go back into the infantry, at any cost. I might even release and rejoin when they re-open infantry. gently caress this remf horseshit.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Simkin posted:

The grass isn't always so green on the other side? Why'd you switch from inf in the first place?

I had a list of reasons, none of which make sense to me anymore.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

DrakeriderCa posted:

You're such a weiner.

Yes. In your mouth.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

MA-Horus posted:

What do you guys think about the CF-35 procurement we're going through now? I mean, 9 billion dollars is a loving lot of money for an aircraft that doesn't really meet CF aviation requirements, and only 70 of the drat things, too. I mean, does the CF even really need planes like that anymore? Yes, arctic sovereignty and all that, but what can the -35 do that a SuperHornet can't?

I am personally in favour of adopting the F35. Interoperability with our allies is super important. People get fixated on CAS in Afghanistan (we're reducing our commitment, and never had armed fixed wing assets there at all) and Arctic sovereignty because that's in the news. Those are both important to consider but the reality is nobody knows what our air force will be doing in ten years so it's best to go with a jack of all trades aircraft that we can scrounge parts for from our Yank, Brit and Aussie buddies.

I can see the appeal of the Superhornet, in a perfect world we could take more than one fighter, have a multitasker and a dedicated air dominance/interceptor, but if we're going to drop the cash to upgrade we should go to a gen 5 fighter as opposed to a gen 4.5

If we are to build our domestically produced fighter we should have started 15 years ago, or begin work on the F35's replacement now.

edit: gently caress the C7A2. Various problems that didn't need solved....by committee!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

GenVec posted:

Regular army was the plan.

I've tried to swing by twice now to speak to a recruiter, but apparently April is a busy time for them. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go in at 7:30 before I head to work.

I'll admit I was a little surprised to see waiting rooms packed full of applicants when I swung by, particularly for Montreal.

What interests you in the intel branch? I would be surprised if you could go right off the street into reg force int officer. Reserve probably.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

GenVec posted:

I watched a lot of James Bond and thought, "Hey, I could do that." :smug:

Somewhat more seriously, I've always had a passion for politics and international relations, and my time spent studying abroad made me realize I had a talent for deconstructing the domestic politics of foreign countries. When I came back I worked (read: interned) with an NGO that gathered field reports from their foreign offices and transformed that information into a coherent analysis. I'm told that's a fairly good approximation for what intelligence officers do on the strategic level, so why not make a career out of it?

Truthfully my first choice was the foreign ministry, but the public service exams are such a crapshoot that I could be waiting years to land a position.

Well then definitely take a look at intel. I did the NCM course and deployed as a collator. I was pretty underwhelmed and I've since transferred back to my reserve infantry unit. Be ready to spend a month looking at pictures of Russian jets and boats, then a one week crash course on insurgency a few days before getting on a plane to Afghanistan.

My main concern was if you thought int work was going to be like an episode of Chuck or someshit. Looks like you have a grip on it though.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
We just brought a cheap coffee maker with us and plugged it in to the sockets in the LAV.

But that's still a cool technique to use, if it doesn't melt the plastic and give you super cancer or someshit.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Thinking about packing up and joining the army.

Definitely try it out. Generally speaking though, full time military life is brutal on marriages.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Lt. Jebus posted:

Its a historic week, Canada now has two subs in the water for the first time in two years! And one of them is the Victoria, which has been in dry dock for 6 years... Hooray.

I want to share your enthusiasm. But it's kinda just depressing.

It's a historic week! A Seaking didn't crash!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
We are jealous of their beard growing powers. gently caress shaving.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

MA-Horus posted:

There was a RHLI Sergeant who taught my basic who used to be a pioneer, apparently they were allowed to grow beards until that particular specialization was removed.

Did his last name start with a W or an M? Either way I probably did basic with him.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

MA-Horus posted:

:wtc:

Apache drivers? If so, I'm only half-surprised.

Negative, little Kiowa scout choppers. A militarized version of the Bell jetranger. It's a new helicopter with a .50 bmg on one side and hellfires or rockets on the other.

All of the pilots are bonker crazy murder artists.

I spent most of 2010 reading a lot of report traffic, I would like confirm 100% everything Morristron is saying.

Seamus loving owns, they should have their own videogame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_OH-58_Kiowa

edit: link to da choppa!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Jarmak posted:

"I'm sorry to bother you but I'm really curious because I'm from Canada and we don't have anything like that there"

I have been approached while in uniform and asked if I'm a US Marine. On the streets of Canada. This happens for a lot of reasons.

Many Canadians define their nationality by being as different as possible from Americans. To some this means being willfully disinterested in anything vaguely military. Notice the confused tourist was going out of her way to point how different Canada is because she doesn't even know what medals are.

Our military is also quite small by comparison, and has little visible presence among the general population. Unless you live near a large base, you will not encounter uniformed personnel, ever.

While not lacking pride, our forces also don't have the same attitude the US branches do. For example, when I was serving in a reserve Toronto unit, most guys would change into civilian clothing for the short commute home in the evening. I found this baffling. I was informed that the immigrant communities are scared and/or hostile to people in uniform.

No military in the world has the media presence the US military does. The sheer volume of movies, comics and videogames is just overwhelming. You have other countries making these half the time too. It's pretty bonkers. So to some mouth breather exposed to all that stuff, they will start to think the US is the ONLY military in the world. The best we got is some Paul Gross auto-fellatio project about WW1, and ONE Rainbow 6 operator.

There's an entire book called 'Who Killed the Canadian Military' that really gets into the anti-military attitude that prevails over a lot of Canadians. It's kind of baffling because The Netherlands, for example, is like a hippy mecca and yet they have Apache attack helicopters and a modern navy.

Well now I'm ranting. gently caress.

tldr: Canada is full of and ran by hippies who don't know or care to know much about their own military.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
Is that self ID for deployments online bullshit thing still up? Can someone link me to it?

Been home almost a year...getting bored again....

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
Happy Canada day you drunkards!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
I am the only remaining man in NATO wearing his gortex stealth jacket under his waterlogged combat shirt....LIKE A BOSS

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

acumen posted:

I was doing this, if only because it looks drat sweet. Unfortunately my stealth jacket is five years old at this point and does very little to repel water.

Have you tried the dryer trick? Supposedly the heat re seals it or something.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

MA-Horus posted:

Field caps all day every day

Am I the only human being alive that actually preferred the old style webbing over the tac vest? I didn't really like the tac vest at all.

The tac vest is pretty worthless. Supposedly, a molle version is under trials as we speak, but I'm sure they'll find a way to gently caress it up.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

CADPAT posted:

It strikes me I should probably be posting in this thread.

Anybody here going to CFSAC?

I'm not, but tell us about it.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Hizawk posted:

On the BMOQ course I am a storeman for, we had a 'infantry officer' cry for being yelled at due to the candidate improperly doing his c7 drills. In fact, he cries any time he is confronted.

He's still on the bloody course despite the course staff's best efforts to get him off.

Hahahha

Reserve I assume.

At least tell us what province this guys unit is in. I would give anything to have a sobbing officer on a weekend ex. gently caress that'd be so funny

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

MA-Horus posted:

Congrats guys, it's taken just short of 1900 posts but WE'RE GOLD BABY, GOLD!
On that note, is anyone still on waiting lists for essential kit?

Kit? I roll in the bush with a pair of boots and cam paint. Maybe a weapon. THAT IS ALL.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

MA-Horus posted:

Why do I have the sudden mental image of you rolling up to a Taliban position covered head-to-toe in cam paint save for a field cap, brandishing your C7 like a battle axe

What the hell?

That's a flashback not an image.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
In the army it's the individual units that get Royal recognition. Royal Canadian Regiment, Princess Patricia's etc.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Ghost of Castro posted:

Does anyone know about being a Nursing Officer in the reserves? I'm an RN and think the military may be something I am interested in. The problem is that most of my experience is in community health so I worry that I won't be a good candidate without ER/acute care experience. Will the military provide me with that training?

I found some information in this booklet: cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/00195_nursingofficer_res_en.pdf

I have pretty extensive experience working with individuals who have physical and mental health problems as a result of military service through my civilian job. Would these skills, though not direct med/surg skills, be beneficial in entering this position?

I've met army medics whose day jobs are IT and computer programming. Your prior medical experience will be useful when you're learning by firehose at medic school, but nobody will care and it certainly won't negatively impact the recruitment process. The military doesn't expect to recruit and train people already working in a given trade (like medics and pilots). There are some exceptions like dental and legal trades but those are freak occurrences.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Serendipitaet posted:

There is this guy in one of my classes at Uni who introduced himself as "a drill instructor in the army"

Was never in the army, calling it now. This story sets off my Faker Boner.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Frankie! posted:

Has anyone here done the CP course? Looks fun.

Supposed to be really PT intensive. Borderline cansof selection

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
I attempted the 2011 Survival Trial a few weeks ago, it was 40km/24hrs in the hills of northern new mexico, with what I consider a medium load.

The elevation will loving rape you. I'm not in super shape, but my 26yo USMC buddy who is also a power lifter was also struggling.

60km/72 hours is a bit more spread out, but the stands and obstacles sound way harder.

Good luck!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Ruse posted:

Also, they are not taking previous flight experience as an advantage over no flight experience right now. The reason he gave me is that they train you anyway and they're more inclined to take someone who doesn't have 'bad habits' and such.

This was mostly anecdotal, so take it as you will.

I've heard that from multiple sources

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Smoke Crack posted:

So how does it feel to have your country invaded by SGT Dunson?

Feels good man

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

MA-Horus posted:

:stare:

Get everything, every course, all of them. That owns.

Agreed, you fuckin own.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Tom Swift posted:

Talked to a CPL who did a Close Protection tour, he said selection it is around CANSOF PT requirements without the negative reinfocements and your selection instructors making GBS threads on you constantly making you redo those push up sets 5x over because the last 3 looked girly.

On another note should be starting BMQ in a couple weeks over the weekends got all my kit!

Right on. What city/unit?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
New boats for the Navy! Just announced massive ship building contracts for Halifax and BC!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/10/19/pol-shipbuilding-announcement.html

As for being in the army right now: I personally think that it's going to be cool for SF and other specific trades, but the rest of us will be lucky to go on lovely peacekeeping tours like in 90s if at all.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
The American Military: More grateful to the CF than it's own civilian population. A Proud part of our heritage. This heritage moment was brought to you my Tim Hortons.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

My Spirit Otter posted:

I don't know, guy. I always got preferential treatment if I had to do some errands before heading home after work. Definitely not as much dick sucking as the US, but still, some.

Yeah it's gotten better.

Free extra baggage on WestJet with CF ID!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Samu posted:

Being in the army gets me laid on Canada Day and Remembrance Day. Also whenever I go back home to Ottawa. So there's that.

I leave for Yellowknife to day. God I hope I don't freeze to death.

If you can't get laid in Ottawa you should kill yourself. This applies to all men, gay or straight.

tuyop posted:

My hair is perfectly fine. Also, check out the undeniable effectiveness of my dress.

I would follow this man into hell. Or the Arena in Tron.