Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Fraser CDN posted:

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20110630/afghanistan-kandahar-brain-injuires-ptsd-110705.html

Article about one of the staff from Meaford. If you were in Meaford from 2007+ you probably remember this guy. This also explains a lot about why he was such an rear end in a top hat. He use to throw dress shirts into fans, parade boots into walls or carve his initials into parade boots. He boot hosed quite my locker one day cause he was so pissed.

I was overseas with this guy. Crazy in the best ways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
I start my PLQ residency tonight. I did the online horeshit over a year ago, so I am right the gently caress out of her. Should be interesting.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
My soft assess drill instruction was so horrible. I could have just just spun on the ground and would have gotten the same score.

edit: included a gif for better visualization

Flanker fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 20, 2012

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

compressioncut posted:

Guy in my syndicate could not for the life of him say "syndicate" so always called us "Delta Squad" and he still passed...not the hardest course in the world.

I was the first to go, with literally no training and no practice. I did some remedial training, hard assess shouldn't be a big deal. Downhill from there, I have no problems teaching lectures.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

MA-Horus posted:

Tell her to enjoy CFSAL in Borden, and I hope she likes being anal retentive.

I thought Borden was pretty chilled out.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
Another PLQ weekend down. Got 84 on my hard assess drill lesson. 91 on my Knowledge lesson. I was so goddamn stressed about it, but it led me to prep harder.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

compressioncut posted:

Lots of dumb military poo poo happening in BC lately...

Nanaimo slashing claim proves false.

Cornflake private reservist does something dumb is probably one of the less surprising things I've heard lately, all in all.

So.. what the gently caress? Did he shank himself with his gerber and pass it off as an assault?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Ruse posted:

In the spirit of the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812, I give you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JsPIzRsUtlE

That looked pretty loving hard.

I thought multicam was operational only for US forces, didn't realize even NG were wearing it.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

My Spirit Otter posted:

Well, there is a whole bias on it due to the fact that reg force trains for this poo poo like it's their job. Mo's on the other hand, only do it for 2 days out of the month if they feel like it/can make it. The main problem with hating reservists is that you can be a master in 3 years if you're remotely competent, while in the reg force it's usually 6-7 years. So that definitely facilitates a huge grudge against reservists. Especially since most gunners could do what some master bombadiers couldn't. However like you said, a lot of reservists are really switched on dudes that can out perform a lot of reg force guys.

It doesn't help that when I'm on workup/course/tasking I get free room and board whereas reg guys have to pay for a meal plan or what have you.

I've learned a lot about how to deal with toon hate. I accept that it really has a valid basis, especially with leadership. Reserve senior NCOs and Officers are rarely on par with their reg force counterparts, especially without tour experience.

At my level, I've learned to just take the jokes for a bit. Prove what I'm competent at and not talk big. With some guys, it's a good idea to push back a bit and not take their poo poo all the time, they'll start respecting you faster. I can usually put the brakes on things pretty fast with this secret move:
"why don't you just go regs?"
"do you like living in Petawawa?"
"gently caress NO"
"so why should I go regs?"
"GODDAMMIT"

I can do a tour, come home, stay off the radar for months at a time, and start putting the uniform on when I'm ready. I don't have the buddy support of being on a base, but I can take the time to cool off and do another roto when I'm ready.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
I cringe when I hear 'militia'. I guess I just show up with my own firearms and uniform, unpaid and untrained. Because that's what a militia is.

Also nowadays usually militia means somekind of anti-government white supremacist circle jerk with meth and guns. which is really more like reg force infantry :ssh:

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
I know an officer going to Sudan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNMIS

not sure what our commitment level to this is

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
Having to wear my uniform on the city bus back before I could afford a car... drat.

Uniform in public usually results in hilarity in non military towns.

I know the Toronto units (who have loving lockers) always changed into civies before heading home. Nobody in Hamilton cares, just don't be poo poo faced or do anything retarded (which still happens).

I've gone and done the school talk a couple times, I didn't bother with the uniform because it dehumanizes you, especially to kids. I bring a tan ratty combat shirt they can pass around.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish I had a locker. :(

I was referring to Downsview I don't know how it works for everyone else.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Mr.48 posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/07/05/pol-weston-public-service-severance.html

So this is a thing... Anyone know if people who left the military a year ago would still be eligible, or is this strictly for those still in? I had 4 years served, so a month's paycheck for doing nothing would be pretty sweet!

I could use some coin right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
That video is stupid and terrible, but I think the CBC is really making a mountain out of a mole hill on this one.