Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

darkspir posted:

Another question on this, I have lost a lot of my hearing since I've joined.. I won't have to do another medical until 2013, but what happens if i fail then?

Probably nothing, unless maybe your trade is way over TES, like infantry, or it's so bad you can't do your job. Once you're in, they generally do their best to keep you. Enrollment standards tend to be tighter than continuing employment standards.

My father in law was a fighter pilot and his eyes went to V3, when the enrollment standard was V1, no exceptions. Yet he did an RAF exchange, flew on two demonstration teams (Warlocks and Snowbirds), Fighter Weapons Instructor, Saudi Air Force instructor and BAE contract instructor. If you can do the job it's usually not an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Agent Escalus posted:

It's all about budget, pal. They could take on more recruits if they had the money to pay, feed, and supply us, and they don't. Hence the "hope for good things in March" bit the recruiter told me; maybe Harper and Parliament will push more dough through for Ice Defence!

(Also, if you're in the area, join up with us sometime! We actually do things these days!)

It's mostly the training system. It is absolutely not a high volume system, particularly once you get past basic training. When I got in eight years ago, there was a big push and they put tons and tons of people through recruit school, as they ran courses in Victoria, CFB Borden, St. Jean and Halifax simultaneously. All that meant was thousands (probably) of recruits sitting around on PAT for up to two years. That in turn meant a lot of, bored, disillusioned and angry people. I was lucky, I only waited 6 months for my trade course.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

e: for clarity, I mean living conditions; while waiting around, are you forced to live on base, or can you live off base with your partner? Or can you live on base with your partner? I'm unclear how accommodations work.

If you are married or common law, you would more than likely be allowed to live off base while waiting for or on course. There are probably caveats and stipulations unique to the particular course you are to go on, though. You are, after all, posted to the training establishment so I don't know why dependents wouldn't be allowed. That said, if your PAT and training time is short (<6 mos) it would be more hassle than its worth.

If by living "on base" you mean military family housing, yeah that's a possibility.

All that said I would plan on living single until you are QL3 qualified - it's just easier. Less paperwork and drama, stuff you really don't want or need at the start of your career/enlistment.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

As for housing you have to be in the shacks for basic and your other courses. But after that you can get base housing which is roughly 500 bucks a month for rent. Dirt cheap.

This is not necessarily correct. Basic, definitely, and if you are legally single you will also be in shacks for trade training. But if you are married (full on or common law) you can live off-base or in PMQs. That's in the Navy, the Army is no doubt different.

That said my previous advice stands, be single through training. It's easier. For example, do you want to bring your significant other to Victoria, BC for say eight or ten months, where she starts to build a life that she might like? Then get posted to Halifax on conclusion of your training?

I almost got run over by just such a woman at the conclusion of my QL3, after she found out her husband was posted to Halifax. I was one of two guys on my course who got Victoria.

PMQs out here run around $1000/mo depending. But post living differential (housing allowance) is also over $800/mo so whatever.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

tuyop posted:

What's wrong with Halifax?

Nothing especially but the majority of QL3 training is done in Victoria, so that's where most sailors initially go.

edit:

Ruse posted:

Thank Christ I joined the Navy.

I'll take "Things I never hear" for $500...

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 26, 2010

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Hatter106 posted:

I'm curious about this.
Is it just guys in one service ragging on the other two, or are some of the armed forces objectively better than the others? What's the pros/cons of Army, Navy, Airforce?

If you're cool being away from home for 200 days (at least) a year for the first 5 years (at least) of your career, the Navy is for you. That's a best case scenario, lots of NCMs are at sea for 10+ years before their first shore posting.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Lt. Jebus posted:

I hear it does wonders for your golf game.

RIMPAC 2004 - Sea King "broke down" on Maui. Crew suspiciously had golf clubs and more than the usual number of passengers (also w/golf clubs) on board.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Started my QL6A today. Three (3) students.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Well, the first two months are split between east and west coasts so that's a little misleading, but they can usually do 10 students altogether. However, there are only two guys on the east coast right now, making for five when we merge in the new year.

So, pretty light load which should make for a lot of free time. Fine out here at home, but Halifax in winter will be a different story.

It's a really different dynamic compared to any other course I've done, too, because us students have known each other for years, and have also known the instructors for just as long. One of our instructors was teaching QL3 when I was originally at the school.

Only one more trade course, ever, after this one (6B). I feel old.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Agent Escalus posted:

Makes sense, since they're the only ones who'd possibly make use of it in the line of duty. The only other ones who might would be our Air Force pilots aren't if they end up in a Behind Enemy Lines type of situation, and at this point in world affairs that's not likely to happen.

Aircrew do a SERE course (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape). I don't know how involved it is. Apparently you have to trap and eat a rabbit.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
CFB Esquimalt snow day!

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Well yeah, I had to go in and my car is trapped in the parking lot. I was going on yesterday's forecast which had today as sunny, or I would have taken the bus.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Fraser CDN posted:

Big difference from enlisted to officer? My brother gets about a grand cause he is on half rations, and P2's.

Nope, 2 and 1Lts also don't make poo poo either (Capt is where it goes up), but holy crap $750 a cheque is scary - honestly that doesn't seem right. R&Q that pricey? My gross is $6375/mo, and will touch 7k after I get made next year.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Fraser CDN posted:

Your a Master jack right? Arnt you one of the spec Navy trades that get all the sea pay and land pay and all that other good stuff? He is only making 750 a check, but before rations and quarters I think they get about 2600 a month.

Yeah that was a subtle recruiting push for the Navy. Spec pay and 800+ PLD for West Coast. I'm also ashore right now so am not collecting sea duty allowance, however that much is for 5 years sea time (close to $400/mo?).

edit - I do believe all Navy trades except bos'n and navcomm eventually draw specpay (i.e. retention pay)

Recruiting mode off:

I worked with a guy who eventually quit because he had a nervous breakdown from all the sailing. He said he wisest thing I've ever heard about the navy - "They don't have to pay us more money, they just have to make it suck less." We get all of the bullshit sailing with none of the debauchery of the old days to numb the pain. It's all "diplomatic incident" this and "drunk on duty" that...

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Fraser CDN posted:

Stick him on an army base in winter for a week and he will change his mind. I know so many people who were trying to be infantry re-muster as Navy or Air Force. The Navy has so much to offer and you are treated like a human being. My buddy who was on my DP1 described Navy life as a paid vacation. If I got back its going to be Air Force or Navy, well all depending on where my apprenticeship takes me.

Horseshit. The guy I quoted was an infantry remuster, and I know PLENTY of them. Seven of ten on my QL3 were some sort of remuster, and only two of them are still in the Navy (me and another). The grass is always greener but believe the hell out of me, it will grind you down - death by a thousand cuts. And I'm probably going to be a Chief in 5 years (jinxed myself...), imagine the attitude of someone who's humping away as a killick forever. My strategy is to be as good as humanly possible at sea so I don't have to spend more than the required amount of time there. Still brutal.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Hi folks - interesting news about in-service commissioning hot off the presses (well, my in service commissioning). I applied CEOTP (pilot) in the fall with a really strong package. But it turns out the CF is not interested in offering any spots in that pipeline this year after all (i.e. no one is getting an offer).

But, they are wanting to extend me a UTPNCM offer, which is super fantastic sounding, but I'm not too sure how I'm going to get into the required program (science, engineering, aviation, space science) for THIS FALL by applying within the next week or so. I have 3 years of a history degree, but they won't fund that for pilot. For gently caress's sake.

I have to talk to someone other than the clerk at D-MILC to try to wangle this. Even continuing my degree at my previous uni would be a hassle at this point (course registration is in like two months).

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Elgar posted:

Since when can a pilot not have a history degree? Lots of them have arts degrees. They are pretty retarded if they wouldn't fund just one year instead of a full four years. Don't know why you wouldn't want to go UTP. You get decent pay and you get to be a highly paid student for four years. Go UTP. Apply everywhere. A lot of UTPs go to RMC as well. It's a good go because you really don't go anything at RMC except go on a few parades and do school work. You don't have to do a lot of the lame rear end poo poo cadets have to go through.

Oh, I'm going UTP if it kills me. It looks as though it would be pretty straightforward to work into a BSc in Psychology at the same school where I was working on my other degree, so would have a bunch of mandatories and electives done. I'm just not sure if I will be able to get any classes prior to January, but I'm all for a 3 or 4 year paid ride at a civvy university, while making my full NCM salary. I have no desire to go to RMC.

A pilot can have a history degree, but the CF won't pay for a pilot to get one (for ROTP/UTP, anyway). It's pretty retarded, and I know plenty of aircrew with irrelevant degrees. My last CO had a geology degree, my father in law has one in economics.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

swagger like us posted:

So, 5 years in infantry reservist ncm here (no tour yet). Finishing my degree up soon, been thinking of next steps. Am I retarded for considering CFRing?

Honestly, other than Mod 6 (failed last day, long story), being an NCM hasn't been that stimulating. I mean I love soldiering and all that, but I kind of liked planning and leading guys as a Section commander, and I like the mental sort of challenge it brings. Plus, look, lets be honest, no one in terms of jobs with degrees care about Infantry NCM experience.

Anyways, I'm thinking of putting the memo in soon. I'll probably have to be an Officer Cadet won't I until I finish Phase II/CAP/BMOQ-L? Kinda sucks, but I keep my Corporal pay right? Anyone here go this route got advice?

Talk to your local BPSO before you do any of this on your own.

I'm being commissioned July 1 for UTPNCM, but I'm reg force. I'm PLQ/QL6 qualified and about to be made PO2 (Sgt), so my sitch is pretty different. I'm going to be a 2LT until I finish school, then I'll get 1LT right away because of the PO2 - not that it matters much because I'll still be an unqualified retard, but pay will catch up faster I guess.

I keep my PO2 pay rate until the officer pay catches up.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Yeah, I have no real good advice to give because I think the way it's done in the reserves is pretty different and probably less formal, and you'll have a degree. And given the choice I don't think there are too many that would say some sort of CFR program is a poor decision - quality of life as an officer is almost universally better.

If there's any way to get your PLQ finished off in the meantime you should, because it's a pretty big deal to selection officers and boards (I'm told).

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Nine of Eight posted:

I've been considering comissioning myself as an officer in the naval forces, do you think the post-afghani situation will be better/worse/so-so considering that after the F-35s the Conservatives want to push through their naval overhaul program?

Depending what kind of naval officer you won't have much luck. Ship-driving types (MARS) have a seriously backlogged training system and I can't say for sure if they took anyone off the street this year outside of ROTP. There is limited sea-time with the ships going through the upgrades, so now is arguably a terrible time to become a MARS officer. I just spent several months on course with a bunch of them so that's fairly straight from the horse's mouth.

I don't know the situation for engineering types (CSE/MSE).

Recruiting is outrageously competitive overall right now, so expecting to wander in to a RC with degree in hand and wandering out with a commission is wishful thinking. People are literally waiting years.

edit:

:D

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 23, 2011

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
50 points...and it looks like it has mange

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

SpaceMost posted:

Do you mean 'overall' as in the Navy, or in the Canadian Forces?

I've never been quite clear on the whole 'In Demand' thing on the recruiting website, and now they've added an 'Accepting Applications' column as well. How is it people are waiting years for officer slots if, say, the infantry is bleeding men like another poster suggested?

Bluntly, "in demand" is code for job no one wants to apply for or stay in for one reason or another. Accepting applications is what it means, but a lot of jobs have very few spots available (like, fewer than 10 across the country) and many, many applicants. The recruiting site is also not real-time, so even though it says accepting applications, the slots may have been filled already.

Infantry is/was overmanned and had to lose people, but new people still have to be recruited to keep the career cycle going. Compared to the size of the trade, the recruiting numbers are very low.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

It's Mbdr and above but you need to get a university degree within 7 years. If you're a MWO you can commission straight to Capt. 10, but to get above that you need a degree.

I'm pretty sure you guys are talking about different programs - acumen I think means the old, old program where you could come in as a Sgt off the street. It wasn't popular for obvious reasons and doesn't exist anymore. You are talking about CFR which is for Sgt+ and "outstanding MCpls," and you commission in to an occupation related to your trade (Inf soldier to Inf officer for instance, not pilot or something)

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

We must be, but it's definitely not for exceptional MCpls. I know this from experience

I re-read his post and you're talking about the same thing.

Subjectively exceptional.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Got promoted to PO2 today. Immediately after which I was handed a pair of Officer Cadet slip ons. From an almost somebody to an absolute nobody in 10 seconds flat. At least I got to sign as a PO2 at clothing stores when I got more OCdt slip ons...

That said, this is now going to be the most stress free time I've ever had in the forces, because I have literally no boss and no job until I go to school Sept 7th. I cannot remember being this relaxed since I swore in.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Simkin posted:

Weird, I would have figured that CFR'ng from PO2 would leave you at least as a 2LT.

I'm UTPNCM so I'm an OCdt until I finish school, at which point I'll get 1Lt.

It's still confusing because all the references are very old (they refer to "UTPM", University Training Plan, Men) and I swear I saw a UTP I know wandering around with 2Lt on while he was still in school.

It doesn't matter much because I'm a civilian most of the year.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Morristron posted:

Seriously. That and Cpl epaulets. Why the gently caress are these so hard to make in the appropriate numbers? When dudes leave the army everybody is like 'can I have your epaulet? I only have one and it looks like it passed through the digestive tract of a goat.'

Try getting air force male DEU OCdt slip ons on a navy base. They gave me female ones that don't even fit on the epaulet flaps of my shirts. That and there's like a 6-8 week wait for plastic nametags (air force is blue) so I get to wear my sweater for the foreseeable future. Fortunately(?) the summer around here has been like winter so far.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Lt. Jebus posted:

Hillside mall has a place that will make up plastic name tags for you that are pretty much identical to the ones you are issued. It'll cost you ten bucks but if you need one quickly.

That engraving booth in front of Sears? Good idea.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Simkin posted:

Yeah, eventually you even get to be on the other side, administering needless volumes of powerpoint!

That have been brainlessly modified and edited over the years so they're full of continuity, content, syntax and spelling errors...also Frenglish/franglais.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Desi posted:

Whats up CF goons! I just read all 51 pages of this thread, good read!

I was wondering if anyone has any information on what the deal is for pilot right now? I applied as a DEO pilot in April and they closed my file a week later for "not meeting educational qualifications" as I was not a previously CF trained pilot and that's the only people they were taking this year. I get that a pilot-slot is pretty well the great white buffalo of the CF, but I'm still trying for it. My understanding is that they actually need pilots right now, but there is a ridiculous backlog in training and thats why they aren't hiring. Anyone know if there are a whole bunch of pilot 2LTs sitting around on OTJ still waiting for training, or have they made a dent in it?

I'm really hoping next fiscal year opens up a bunch of slots, I'm getting REALLY sick of being a government cubicle-jockey. I like to think I have a decent shot too, 24 year old civil servant, already have the security clearance, got my degree and within a couple of weeks I'll hold a Private Pilot's License. Plus my resume ain't half bad either. I really just need to get my application infront of a person!

I'm a 32U, at university right now. They closed some of the intake routes to try to overcome the problems with waiting. It seems that primary is pretty well back up to speed, the follow on training is also coming along but not there yet. The "pilot shortages" thing doesn't really mean poo poo, they've been short 150 pilots for like a decade. The pilot occupation is the biggest officer occupation in the Air Force by a long shot, so that's not a ridiculous shortfall.

Previous flying experience (PFE) does not necessarily help you. That's probably the biggest mindset problem I see with guys that want to apply to be pilots. You're applying to be an officer who happens to be a pilot, and that's what the recruiter is basing your interview on. There are three 32Us at my school, and one has just finished primary - 12 of 20 on his course failed, and most of the twelve had quite a lot of experience. All of the failures were flying skills, because the Grob is not at all like a 172. PFE will not help you pass aircrew selection anymore than someone with a bit of time in Microsoft Flight Simulator, it is worth like two points on your application, and potentially gives you bad habits that you won't be able to break before failing out.

Partly my opinion but also partly documented by DRDC. If you love put-putting around in a 172 and have the money to burn, then by all means, but don't bet your application or your career on it. I'm not discouraging you, but focus in the right directions (community involvement/leadership, further your education in some way, etc).

A nice little catch, too, is that is you have more than 100 hours previous flying experience you lose the opportunity for "make up" flights at PFT that guys with less than 100 get, so you're behind the eight ball from the start. You're always two flights away from being an artillery officer anyway.

I think you'll have to wait and see what they're going to do for recruiting this year. DEO can't stay closed forever. At 24 you're a lot younger than the average age of new entry pilots (32 last I checked. I'm 36), so relax and keep your head down working toward making yourself a better applicant.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
It's also academically demanding. You are essentially training to be something in between a paramedic and trauma nurse, in addition to the parachuting/mountaineering/diving/outdoor survival and whatever else. So yeah, it's a "halo" trade and extremely, extremely competitive. It would behoove you (sorry about that) to be among the best at whatever you are doing now, and go from there.

The guy who took my job when I left for the Air Force did the SAR Tech prelim, and it sounds pretty brutal.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Lassitude posted:

Do they not make diesel subs anymore? And are the existing four that expensive/unsafe? This is coming across as another pointless purchase of military hardware.

Diesel boats are exceedingly common, but boats of the size we need are kinda rare - the T212/214 that are being now used by a number of countries are great boats, but 2/3-ish to half the size of the Upholders. The Upholders were designed for the GIUK Gap so probably are the last of the big Western diesel subs, because no other countries have the length of coastline we do. Well, outside of the Australian Collins, which could be considered a bigger boondoggle than ours.

The Upholders could have been a decent deal but the way every loving thing we buy has to be mindlessly "Canadianized" ruined them.

If the current subs are scrapped then that is the end of the submarine service in Canada, forever. It's barely hanging on by a thread as it is. There is no way, no how we would be able to swallow billions and billions of dollars for a nuclear infrastructure. The leap from barely being able to handle diesel boats to properly handling nucs is incomprehensibly large, unless The Harper Government™ is working on some sort of lopsided deal with the Americans for Alternate Service Delivery®.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Cornerbrook is going in to an EDWP, correct?

As the only semi-operational submarine for the past while it was literally ridden hard and put away wet. My submariner friends tell me she is in really rough shape (and was so even before running in to the bottom).

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I sailed with a guy who must be a PO1 by now who has a big, beautifully intricate triforce on his bicep that he got after finishing basic - he'd only show it after reaching a certain level of drunkenness.

It happens a lot. Whenever I was duty at Nelles block I noticed the place was overrun with Ordinary Seamen with huge anchor tattoos on their forearms, ropes around wrists and assorted other sailor stuff to celebrate their zero days of sea time. And I still remember when I was an OD in at Nelles block, the other OD who got "PAIN IS TEMPORARY" on his left forearm and "PRIDE IS FOREVER" on the other one (NOT ME). People get pretty worked up over basic training.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Someone probably told him that Navcomms would get spec pay if they all tattooed their trade name on their arms (didn't work out).

(for all the army folks out there, Navcomms are the only "ops" trade that don't get spec pay and boy are they bitter about it - almost as bitter as the techs. Mention it to either one and watch them go from good humored to caremad in less than a heatbeat)

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Here's a pretty good shot from Remembrance Day - my father in law, his dad, me, and my son. His dad flew fighters in the war (first over Sicily in '43) and continued until 1968 (Vampires and Sabres). He married Roy Brown's daughter after the war, and they had Don, who flew Voodoos (425 Sqn and with the Warlocks demo team), Phantoms on exchange with the RAF, lead solo with the Snowbirds, F-5s as a Fighter Weapons Instructor, then contracted with BAE to teach Hawks to the Saudi Air Force and the UAE.

I'm a now a 32U after 9 years in the Navy (my grandfather also flew Spits), and my kid likes getting thrown in the air. Also, I was by far the most hungover after the Remembrance Day drinking - beaten by a 90 year old.

Yes my top tunic button is undone - fuckit, I'm in the air force now.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
32U is an untrained pilot. I'm an OCdt because I don't have a university degree yet. It's Victoria BC; most of the leaves are gone now, but some of those are Arbutus trees so they don't really lose them.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

tuyop posted:

PT is completely unstructured, poorly planned, and poorly executed. Their gym has like four machines, a couple of exercise bikes, and a bench. PT is not a priority in the MARS world.

That's probably because there are two well-equipped gyms like 6 blocks away, one at Naden and and the other at Dockyard.

Otherwise it sounds like business as usual at the Naval training establishments.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Barrakketh posted:

Always, always ask if you need your helmets or gas mask.

Can NOT emphasize this enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Fraser CDN posted:

"Should we bring our helmets/gas masks/ruck/FFO? Because when I was in cadets we always brought our helmets/gas masks/other item. Dude"

Call your instructor dude, they like it. Also answer every question with Yup. If they ask if you like ice cream make sure you are the first person to put your hand up.

"Should we bring our helmets/gas masks/ruck/FFO? Because when I was in cadets we didn't always bring our helmets/gas masks/other item. Dude"

Here I always thought I ended up on courses with some unfortunately dumb people, but I should have known better (I think that means I'm also dumb, just in a less aggressively obnoxious way).