Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

WOFOC posted:

OK, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Inf WO working with the Canadian Rangers out of Victoria. 18 years in. Any CRs on these boards?

When I was on Op Nanook a while back I traded a pair of cadpat trousers for a ranger sweater. Does that make me an honorary ranger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

WOFOC posted:

Not really, Canadian Rangers, believe it or not, for the most part take themselves pretty seriously. They are very proud of the unique role that they fill within the CF.

They see their red hoodies in the same light that the rest of us see our uniforms.

The status of "Canadian Ranger" is never confered readily or easily.

Yeah, I was being facetious. I'm just happy to have my sweater. Those rangers were a ton of fun to work with.

Oh, and yeah, they get those rifles and rounds as part of their kit. We got to shoot them when we were up there, and they're much more satisfying to use than a C7. They also do a number to ptarmigan and seal heads.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

WOFOC posted:

Now for the the GG. She can wear any uniform she wants. (and looks good in it too!)

Am I the only one here who thinks Michaelle Jean is really sexy? And I've never met her, but she often has a really big a genuine-seeming smile going on, so she's probably a very nice person, too.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Nubile Hillock posted:

I was thinking of making an a/t thread, but I really don't think it's important enough. I'm thinking of joining the reserves, I have absolutely no idea what I'd be getting into. Any sort of information/words of warning would be great.

Depends hiiiiiighly on the regiment I imagine. But, I've had a really awesome time being a reservist. Made a lot of good friends, did poo poo I'd never have done otherwise, got paid to go sleep in the bush with a gun... honestly, I wish I'd have heard about it when I was 17 or whatever.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Anyone know anything about MOTP? I'm one of those premed types, and I'm deciding whether to apply to MOTP when the time comes. In particular I'm curious what their basic training would be like, especially compared to the infantry stuff I've already done, and what it's like being a GP on a CF base somewhere. My local recruiting office didn't seem too well versed on the nuances of the program beyond the basics, so I was hoping someone with real experience on it or second-hand experience could comment.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Looking for a bit more advice. As I mentioned, I'm an enlisted reservist in my regiment. At one point I had an interview with someone from elsewhere in the CF, a sort of counselor, and she recommended to me that I'd have a better shot at MOTP if I were already an officer. That seems to be the case, given what I've read here. She seemed keen on getting me to go officer regardless, as a matter of fact, even asking me about my personality and remarking how there are a lot of officers "just like me".

What I'm curious about is the process of going from enlisted to officer within the same regiment. Has anyone ever made such a transition? Furthermore, how does reserve infantry officer training stack up against reserve infantry soldier training?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

A priest in a molestation scandal?

I am shocked.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Samu posted:

Why the hell does everyone want to be infantry anyways?

What a silly question. There's a huge demand in the civilian job market for guys whose skills include shooting guns and killing bad guys, isn't there? Oh, well, I guess there's just cops actually, but I know the vast majority of people in my reserve infantry regiment are wannabe cops, so maybe that's it? Otherwise I'd assume it's a mix of, as the other guy said, Hollwood, and perhaps fellas who genuinely want to challenge themselves by picking what they see as a "tough" trade.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Is there somewhere I can take a more detailed look at what sorts of things medtechs are taught to do in their training, beyond the stuff on the CF website? I'm an Ontario paramedic, but I'm infantry reserve, so I really have no idea how we stack up to medtechs.

I am going to assume right away however that the CF probably doesn't give the same kind of emphasis to pathophysiology that civilian paramedic programs do. I spent a lot of time learning that stuff, and it was a major component of my provincial certification. On the other hand, I would assume that medtechs would not learn in great detail the ins and outs of cardiac insufficiency, or digoxin/whatever toxicity, and all that other stuff you'd never need to treat in the CF but can be expected to deal with in civvie land. Conversely, though, I was never trained to deal with the common, minor issues that soldiers experience on a routine basis.

But anyway, if there's a list of stuff medtechs learn I could see then I'd be able to maybe give you a better idea.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 10, 2010

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Fraser CDN posted:

I know a person who was a medtec in the reserves and had to do paramedic training (10 years ago, so it might have changed). His time in the military helped him but he still had to do the training. It will make paramedic training easier.

I think the best option for him would be to see what the Alberta provincial test is, and contact whoever administers it and see what their policy on equivalency is. In Ontario you have to have either a paramedic diploma or something equivalent, and you need to be able to demonstrate its equivalence by going in and doing a written and practical test. If you do all that, then you can write the actual provincial test. Alberta might have something similar, and who knows, they might accept pte medtech training as an equivalent.

If that's the case though, and you could write your provincial after being a medtech, be prepared to do a lot of learning on your own to get familiar with your province's medical protocols, and to learn all the pathologies that medtechs invariably wouldn't be expected to know anything about, but civvie medics are expected to.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Primary/Advanced/Critical Care Paramedic is the official title for paramedics in, I guess, places other than Alberta. That's the system we use in Ontario, and it's an entry-level paramedic cert you get after doing two years in college here.

I guess it's not too big of a surprise that they might give you technical PCP status after doing medtech. There are pricey institutions here that'll give you a diploma after only a year of training, after all. It's probably worth mentioning, however, that people who do their PCP diploma that way tend to have poor skills overall, and when I got hired here there were literally zero successful applicants from those places, and there aren't many people from those programs working here overall.

So if you go medtech, definitely do some extra studying when you can if you want to work civvie side afterward. Even after you get the diploma, you have a shitload of testing to do. You need to write your provincial certification (a six hour written test here in Ontario), then you need to do really well during whichever service's hiring process (which tends to be a full day of all sorts of testing, from driving an ambulance to handling equipment to written poo poo, other hands-on skills stations, interviews, etc), and then you will need to pass your base hospital testing, where the doctor you'll be certified to work under sets forward specific stuff for you to be tested on (which was an afternoon's worth of more testing both written and practical in my case).

Although your mileage may vary in this respect, working anywhere other than a really rural place tends to involve a very competitive hiring process. Even if you get your diploma, by the time you're done your service you'll need to be able to demonstrate skills better than those guys who just got finished years of full-time training specifically to take those tests. A bit of a challenge, to be sure, but not impossible by any means. However, definitely take this into consideration. Doing four years of service to get a diploma eqyuivalent yet still being virtually unemployable would suck. But I know that rural places tend to be much easier to get a position at, so there's that too if you don't want to work in a city.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 11, 2010

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Last I heard PCPs made, in Ontario, an average of around $28 an hour or thereabouts these days starting out. ACPs make a couple bucks more an hour. CCPs make just a bit more than that as far as I am aware, but they're few in number and pretty much just work for Ornge, our air ambulance service. One of my faculty at school was a retired CCP, but other than that I've never met one and don't know a whole lot about their wages these days.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

You said starting out, does it go up significantly over time?

It goes up like any other job, but don't expect to be making more than RNs. You'll never make $40+ an hour or anything. And don't expect to retire as a paramedic, either.

Congrats on the medtech thing. Patient care can be a shitload of fun, so I hope you enjoy yourself.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

You'd need to be more specific. For ACPs/PCPs, I'll go with denied. You can expect to pull in somewhere around 60 - 70k as a PCP with overtime and 70 - 80 as an ACP. You probably wouldn't be able to get enough overtime as a land-based paramedic to get near 100k, although if you somehow did you'd probably want to put a gun in your mouth at the end of the year.

A CCP, eh, who knows. Maybe even an ACP who moved into a management spot and is still technically a paramedic but works at HQ, maybe they could earn close to 100k.

Either way, not a profession to get rich doing. You can live comfortably, but try and marry a doctor or something, and think about getting a degree and moving off the ambulance and into management before you permanently injure yourself.

Anyway, if you have more questions just pm me or whatever so we don't clutter this thread too much with stuff that's more about civilian medics rather than army ones.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

What's the policy on guys enlisting who're missing a leg below the knee? A friend of mine expressed interest over it, and as he's at a sort of rut in his life I wanted to look into it for him to maybe give him an option. Are there ANY jobs he'd be eligible for as an amputee?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I think the real reason the CF exists is to protect the most precious grass on military bases. Bit of a catch 22, but god drat IT STAY OFF THE GRASS

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Wow, I didn't realize that about the aptitude test. A fellow infantry guy I know had to retake the test because his first score was so low all he was eligible for was cook...

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Fraser CDN posted:

To be infantry you have to be a different kind of person. You have to be able to deal with a lot of bullshit. Usually people joining the infantry are people who are outgoing and have had a life that has been filled with hardships. These people know what its like to e at their breaking point so when they have a chance to have a good time they take advantage of it. They do this by drinking to much, and hitting of the pretty girls.

Most people complained about how we didn't have freedoms in basic training. Well while in training as infantry you loose more freedoms then you did in basic. Basic was a vacation compared to battle school. Im not trying to make it seem harder than it is but it does truly make basic look like a summer camp. You loose freedoms like time to eat a meals, your own time( from 10:55- 11 each night was my personal time, AKA time to get stuff ready for tomorrow). Even on the work up course for infantry training ( 6 weeks or so) you are treated as 2nd class. But all this bullshit and training is what makes our country have have one of the best infantry fighting forces in the world (minus our crap gear).

I've heard people say this a lot, but what exactly is it based on? How do you really compare stuff like whose infantry is better?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Lemons posted:

So I've decided I want to apply for the reserves, and briefly talked to a recruiter for a nearby infantry regiment (Royal Westminster Regiment) to set up an appointment to come down and talk next week.

I've done a bunch of research into the CF and reserves in general but I'm trying to figure out what questions I need to ask about the regiment specifically, is there anything that I should find out about them before applying?

Find out what their head dress is, because some reserve regiment hats are stupid looking as gently caress.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

That isn't going to end well for him. In a society where we refuse to even allow terminally ill people to die painlessly and at a time of their choosing, you can't expect people to be sympathetic toward putting a bullet in a wounded Taliban guy. Can't say what I'd have done in his place, and it sucks that this is going to end his career, but he should have seen this coming.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Try living up in northern Ontario.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Only 15 minutes of PT? What the gently caress?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

How do regforce view reserve people? Thinking infantry, specifically, as that's my regiment. Watching Generation Kill the other day, and when the reservists showed up they were portrayed very negatively. It's the marines and a TV show, granted, but I still had to wonder. I've never been to Afghanistan myself, but I've always been curious at what sort of prejudices must invariably exist toward part-timers.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I wonder what the percentage of women in the CF haven't slept with their course staff at some point. It must be loving tiny.

Also, I'm surprised there isn't more vitriol toward reservists, what with how many reservists act like, now that they parade once a week and have green clothing, they're a super-soldier.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

Hrmm. I wonder if a reserves discharge paper would fly. I could use a trip to Montreal.

I used that promotion a couple years ago, and I am pretty sure that even if you're former CF (or DND) you're eligible.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Ideally at the end of every ex and every course you should have actually lost money.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Does it make me a bad infantry dude if none of the weapons are all that exciting to me? Personally I'm just in it for the hardcore camping and hiking experience. If there were a job in the CF where I could just walk around in the bush and camp all day err day I'd probably quit university and do that for a living.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

So I'm forced to leave the army because grad school is eating up all my free time, and my patrol commander is trying to convince me to go into supplementary reserve instead, should I do it?

what does it entail exactly?

You get to not parade or anything but not actually get released from the CF. It's good for taking a break for a year or two.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Lt. Jebus posted:

I don't know why the Calgarians are bitching, unlike the progressive tax rates everywhere else, Alberta has a 5% flat income tax that greatly benefits anyone middle class and up.

It's never enough until the drat gub'ment gets its hands off of my hard-earned money entirely!

*is the Canadian Tea Party*

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

I have gone my entire career in the CF (4 years) without putting my DEU's on once. I loving hate parades.

Chicks dig it.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Reserves is really flexible, and a great job for students. You get $2000 a year in education reimbursement if you're at college/uni while being in the reserves as well as regular pay for doing routine work. Plus you get opportunities to, for example, go up to the arctic, or very rarely go someplace in Europe. A few years ago we had a couple people from our regiment go over to France for the Canadian National Vimy Memorial rededication. That sort of stuff is really rare though, obviously. I really can't recommend it enough, and wish I'd learned about it sooner. Unless you're a huge pussy or a fat person you'll be just fine and make decent money to boot.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I really like when the courses I'm on get a lot of cock. It sucks at the time, but it makes the experiences so much more memorable and satisfying having gone through them.

e: we need to think of a better term than "cock"

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 22, 2010

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Oh poo poo Canada posted:

Can anyone tell me about the Canadian Rangers? I know it's mostly for old people with too much time on their hands (at least from my understanding) but on the other hand it seems kind of fun and I'd like to be able to do something that doesn't have the worlds largest time commitment.

I think if you like going out into the bush for long walks you might enjoy the Rangers. I'm sure it varies wildly by individual unit though. Either way, you get paid and get a free red sweater and stuff so it can't be all bad, right?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

What part of the country are you considering getting involved with the Rangers in? When I was on Baffin Island a few years ago we worked alongside the Rangers there. They were all Inuit guys, and they all tended to do a lot of hunting and fishing stuff together. They lived off of the ocean and the land entirely in some cases, so going on patrols and stuff was something they'd do anyway to hunt caribou or seals or whatever. The Ranger group was just a sort of natural extension of their community, with their leader being an "elder" guy, and them doing a lot of traditional sorts of stuff. They were mainly older guys but there were a couple guys in their 20's, as well, and apart from those young guys their English was really spotty. The weren't at all serious about any of the army stuff, like timings, saluting, etc, but nobody cared.

But, I am sure that a Ranger group in northern Ontario might be totally, totally different from these guys I worked with. The only way to really get a good idea of what they're about would be to talk to some of them.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So why do we even have submarines and fighter jets and such? We will literally never use them for combat with the Cold War being over, and with the US as our close neighbour we obviously don't have anything to be worried about when it comes to invasions (unless Sarah Palin gets elected and invades us, but jets won't do us any good then either). Shouldn't we be scrapping all that expensive bullshit that will never get any use before it deteriorates beyond hope of repair? Wouldn't just everything-but-submarines and transport helicopters/planes be basically all we'd need in a navy/airforce? Or are doing patrols with submarines now that the Ruskies are neutered really that important for us?

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 20, 2010

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Actually I was just talking about fighter aircraft and submarines really, not the entire thing. Military forces are useful for a lot more than just waging war, but maintaining submarines and fighter aircraft at this point seems useless.

MA-Horus posted:

Every nation on earth has a military presence.

That's actually not true by a long shot, but it's not what I was suggesting Canada might do, either.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Hey, thanks to all the Navy guys that chimed in. I have to admit I don't know a goddamn thing about the oceans or things that travel under or upon them, so it's good to know that you fellas at least feel they're worthwhile to have around.

The fighter plane stuff I'm still not sold on. I don't know why we have to be on the cutting edge. Is $9 billion in more jets really worth it? I can see having some for protecting of airspace by warding away any trespassers or intercepting civilians aircraft gone awry, but I have to wonder whether we really need top-of-the-line hardware for any of that.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Might've been cold, but at least you didn't get to break your ankle on loving ruts in Meaford.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

No poo poo. Berets aren't bad but the caubeens, glengarry bonnets, and all that other silly poo poo reserve regiments wear instead of berets is incredibly retarded. Either way a hat that isn't some anachronistic bit of pomp would be much more appropriate with combats.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Gotta be reserve. Nobody would sign an actual contract to be an infantry officer if they're that big of a pussy. If they're crying though I'd say either they'll fix themselves by the end of it, or quit in shame. I've seen reserve infantry officers who started as indecisive and unimpressive but found their feet by the end of it.