Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
CF reservist; come summer I have BMQ and SQ for Sigop to look forward to, if they're not already doing the merging-of-trades thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MohawkSatan posted:

Are future troops legit here? I'm joining up in September, maybe earlier. Anything I should expect aside from clusterfucks everywhere?

Make sure you put your packet in early. It took me 9 months for my packet to process for the Reserves; it'll be almost another 9 before I get through BMQ/SQ.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fraser CDN posted:

Would AC op be one of these? It has a star beside it on the recruitment website, but that information could be 3 years old.

No, they're usually pretty good about updating occupational priorities on the recruiting site.

Edit: Dang, I should've gone for LCIS instead of SigOp. Oh, well, it'll be all the same thing by next year, right? :v:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

You people dont like the gortex boots? Weirdos.

The Goretex boots are fine, except when they're all you have and you have to wear them outdoors, on packed snow, with sweaty feet. Like wearing ice blocks for all their grip and warmth. Comfy when you're sitting around the place reading PPTs indoors, though.

Also, the shortage on combat boots seems to have something to do with the Mk III / GP changeover, and the gov't having sold off the 'surplus' of Mk IIIs before the supply of GPs was built up. :downs: :canada:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So, what about those LSVWs, eh?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

Are you crazy? Gortex are awesome outdoors, or at least a hell of a lot better than the GP's or Mark III's. Warm, comfy and most importantly dry. For snow, you cant beat the mukluks though.

They're not so awesome when the soles freeze and lose all traction on packed snow, and when the sweat in your socks freezes too because the layered socks are 'winter' issue and they don't have that at the sub stores so you'll just have to wait sorry :argh:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

Mukluks, mukluks and again Mukluks, that is all you should wear in conditions like that. Although I have done patrols in a -40 (before windchill) blizzard in my gortex and came out ok.

:v: Mukluks are also part of your winter issue and we're out of those, too.

:argh:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fraser CDN posted:

That's weird, ive seen pictures from the 80's and they were wearing the same winter gear. Im sure they have some laying around that have been mothballed.

At the local sub stores, which are for reservists but also can be drawn on by NSaskR - who also incidentally need a bunch of winter kit for exercises this month?

Yeah, no.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, I just pulled my issued ruck out of the back of the closet where I stowed it after kit issue; not only is the inside of the main compartment and all the pouches covered in grit, but it doesn't have anything but the metal frame and canvas bags.

I didn't get a shoulder harness.

Grgh. Time to call sub stores again.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Reserves, there was a nice little article on A7 of today's Globe & Mail about how the government should be putting more resources towards supporting reservists. :3:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Finally got a serviceable rucksack! Well, it's got a broken strap adjusting thing on one side of the harness, but gently caress if I'm going back there over that right now. 's like pulling teeth.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

thewheelsteve posted:

I hate LSVWs so much

I'm a reservist Sig Op in training, I'll be going on my trade course in May.

Where at? I'll be at CFB Wainwright for mine, which is technically in May (starts May 31 :v: )

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

You poor, poor son of a bitch.

Words do not describe the level of pity I feel for you.

At least it's not Shilo, right?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
At least you guys still have snow. My igloo's melting thanks to all this global warming poo poo.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Aw, man. Filling out Parade Exemption forms sucks.

because I'll be in the Caribbean this week

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
CFB Wainwright is actually looking slightly better; met a nice blonde from Edmonton while I was on a cruise in the Caribbean who likes my sense of humour and ability to make a fool of myself doing karaoke.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lemons posted:

1) Training: I've found conflicting information on the Internet. Is training a few weeks somewhere, or is it every other weekend? Are both options available? What is the "best" way to go? I work for the RCMP and can get special leave without pay to take part in CF training (I think like 2 weeks per year, not sure).

2) Deployment: I know that overseas deployment for reservists is voluntary, but is there anything else that I could be compelled to do? Are reservists that don't ever volunteer for deployment looked down on? I don't really want to disrupt my life too much. If I could do one evening a week, one weekend a month, and maybe help out with forest fires and that kind of thing when needed, that would be ideal for me. I know that the government can call the reserves to active duty in the event of some crisis, but hasn't done so since World War 2. If something on the scale of WW2 happened, gently caress it, I'd be joining up anyways.

3) What kind of stuff would I do on the weeknights and weekends? I'm considering NCM in infantry or engineers. Do armouries ever let anyone observe to see if they'd like to join? I'll probably call up some local armouries tomorrow and ask.

Any answers or advice appreciated.

1) You need to do Basic Military Qual., but that's offered both over weekends (dependent on the unit) and over the summer. I would suggest the latter, since the former... well, it just doesn't feel right to have your creature comforts before and after your weekend basic training.

2) A major emergency, maybe, but nothing else would compel you to do anything. As for deploying, that would depend on the people in your unit.

3) This also depends on your unit; you'd want to talk to the recruiting officer with the unit to find out what they normally do. They might well let you observe, though probably not unaccompanied.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Due to budget cutbacks, no new boots are being procured for the CF until 2011.

:v:

No, seriously. It's not like there's a shortage of boots in certain sizes or anything~

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

Im not complaining this means I can't exchange my Mk. IIIs for the gps and get to keep wearing the comfortable bastards

It also means you can't get the new WWBs, which is fine because the old ones are actually more comfy - but I'm stuck with 1 pr GPs and 1 pr WWBs, and no chance of getting another pair before basic.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

Im not too concerned because I never wear the things. However whats different with the new wet weathers, the sole? Also I am assuming you're a reservist because you have kit before basic?

Yeah, the soles - the old ones would freeze in cold weather. And yeah, Comms reserve, though they're merging our unit into 38 CBG as of 1 May, IIRC.

I guess we already wear Army DEUs anyway, why not take the logical next step?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Samu posted:

My friend is a SigOp and he hates it. Apparently they are really undermanned and never get any days off since officers/everyone always needs their comms. He also is pissed off that he only gets to practice shooting like once every 3 months.

Depends on the unit; I'm going sigop in a reserve unit, and while we're understrength we hardly do anything. That may change, since they're shoving us into 38 CBG and out of 73 Comm Gp, but we'll see.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Any advice for a guy who is (probably) going to wind up on Basic in Wainwright this coming July/Aug? I already have insoles for my boots that fit my feet, and trying to recall the faint memories of poo poo I had to do at cadet camp (which won't likely do a ton of good, but will hopefully at least keep me from looking the shittiest). I've been working on pushups, pullups, and just generally walking around with a load in my boots as well.

Anything else I should work on?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I wasn't planning on letting on to any of that. And I don't think it's possible to mirror-shine my GPs anyway :v: Anything I should look at buying before I go? We got an old kit list of stuff to get from Supply, but it was in no way current. And I'm desperate enough to try and get laid in Wainwright. Or even the fleshpots of Lloydminster.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fraser CDN posted:

Mr Clean Magic Erasers
Swiffer pads
Baby Wipes

Anything else you can pick up at the Canex for a "reasonable" price. Its probably a 4 week BMQ. So unless its BMQ/SQ you shouldn't really need much more then what is issued.

Stay away from girls near military bases. Unless you like pissing razor blades then by all means go for it. Also someone correct me if im wrong, but I don't believe reserve get any time off during BMQ( from friends who are in the reserve's),so getting laid might be hard, unless your going to be doing a platoon mate.

Yeah, it's BMQ and BMQ/L or whatever they now call SQ. Apparently "Soldier Qual" made it sound like only Army could take it blah blah so yeah. Will I need to bring sandals or running shoes?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fire Above posted:

But I need to stress again, don't gently caress around with the shack rats. It'll bring either stds, or drama or both. Just not worth it, and it's only four weeks.

Eight, since I'm doing BMQ and BMQ/L in sequence. But I don't think I'm going to be that desperate. Ever.

Fraser CDN posted:

If you have any more questions id be glad to answer them.

Well, I labelled each and every item of my kit already under the advice of my MCpl. Anything I should be looking at doing in the month before? Apart from making sure I have all my poo poo stowed in duffel bags that are readily identifiable, and making sure all of the poo poo I'm supposed to have by the kit list is there, of course.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fire Above posted:

It still boggles my mind that infantry is so swamped. A couple of years ago we were starving for guys, companies were half empty and people were putting in for release like crazy after coming home from tour. Now it's a fight to even get in. They should just open up more batallions, I mean, Jesus.

Well we're never going to need infantry for anything major again after the Afghan mission ends so why should we recruit more? :downs:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

Well the retard PM did pretty much come out and admit that JTF2 is operating in Iraq right now. Which we've all known since 2003, but :smug: Antiwar protesters keep reminding us that Canadians are better for not being there.

Thank god there was no standard ops there. We're pushed to the limit with the 'Stan as it is. I remember before I left they were willing to throw me my leaf to sign on for a deployment as desk jockeys were in such demand.

Man, I wish I were in JTF2. I bet I would have two pairs of boots. Maybe even four.

edit: and a cool sidearm

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fraser CDN posted:

Heck even better they would give you money to buy civilian cloths. Heck I bet you could find the highest speed and the lowest drag boots to wear. You also wouldn't get jacked up for wearing good boots either.

edit. You would also get to paint your gun any tactical camo scheme you wanted. Maybe Blue or red tiger?

I bet those JDF2 guys wear 7-11 Tactical and have their guns all painted in like iron oxide so they don't shine and give away their position and they have those really awesome knives with all the sharp things on them and have massive beards

Edit: I really just want all my entitled pairs of boots okay :(

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Jebus posted:

They could have shot all our entire course DS staff and still passed because we desperately needed them.

So long as they gave it their best shot, that's all that matters.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I hope the stuff going down at Wainwright doesn't interfere with my BMQ :ohdear:

Actually, no, I hope it does and I wind up in Edmonton instead.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

HammerOfHope posted:

Play your cards right and you might end up with a pleasant stay at Club Ed :toot:

Well, I know a cute blonde girl in Edmonton. Met her on a cruise ship, her family likes me for whatever reason, she's got nice tits...

:c00l:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm supposed to go on basic in about two weeks but haven't gotten confirmation or any details on travel poo poo. Should I be worried?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Nofeed posted:

I wasn't told about my basic course until around lunch on the day the course started.

In the same boat as you for SQ right now. Is your course being held in Edmonton too?

Wainwright, but I've heard RUMINT that things might be disrupted a bit with the investigation on the meth lab. Probably not though.

MCpl at the OR told me I'd likely hear on Monday. What a birthday present, eh?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Samu posted:

I run an 11 beep test and can run run the 6k from the bus station to my house hammered drunk in under 30 minutes.

Ladies?

Yes, but what cap badge're you sporting?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
fffffffffff.

Just got a call from a MCpl at my unit's OR. "Oh hey Pte Canuck-Errant, we finally have details on your Basic! Now there's some good news and bad news. Bad news is, you didn't get your course loading, but the good news is there's some spots still available. So you're going to be on standby for Basic, but we still want you here at 8 AM monday ready to go."

:suicide:

edit: To make it worse, it's standby for Reserve BMQ... in Wainwright.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 30, 2010

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I finished BMQ. Got bumped from BMQ/L in Edmonton for lack of spaces and too many candidates, so I have a month of summer to burn.

I also need to invest in more insoles, because goddamn my low arches make PT suck balls.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I bought a set of those civvy-side, and they're probably the only reason I made it through the marches. Still doesn't help on PT runs, though. And luckily I'm Sigop, so... :v:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Chet from Weird Science posted:

Quick question. I've looked through the thread and unless I just completely blanked on it, I didn't see this addressed...

When going through the application process, they have the whole 'reliability screening' where you need to have 5 references that you've known continuously for 5 years and they can't be family.

What happens when you're someone who's moved around a lot in recent history and therefore don't /have/ 5 people you could list?

I just put down people who had known me for at least five years. Family friends and that jazz.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

"Artillery brings civilization into what would otherwise be a brawl."

:eng101: I believe you mean:

Frederick the Great posted:

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

But then again, he also said:

Frederick the Great posted:

Everybody is using coffee; this must be prevented. His Majesty was brought up on beer, and so were both his ancestors and officers. Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be relied upon to endure hardships in case of another war.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So what's this ACCIS thing I keep hearing the SigOs talk about the Comm Res changing to? Does this mean we'll have to give up our Harris HF and line trucks? :ohdear: