Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
As a reservist Pte I make maybe 500 if we don't have any stand-downs. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh, neat. I found out today:

all our LSVWs are broken and cannot start
all our MilCOTS are spontaneous fire hazards and cannot be parked within 2m of another vehicle or building
all our MLVWs are restricted and cannot be used over 60km/h, or on highways

Our only working vehicle at this point is a big blue van.

Welcome to the Comms Reserve. :suicide:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Jebus posted:

I can't really get into the details but I just got back from a month at sea on Canada's only currently working Submarine and lets just say things got pretty interesting in regards to some equipment. 100m+ underwater is not when you want poo poo to fail.

Yeah, that would tend to suck. No big blue van to fall back on, for one

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Jebus posted:

I will say that there is a reason why getting the Vic back in service right now is the Navy's #1 priority (2nd is Felex).

And #3 is becoming the RCN again :v:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

I would rather blow my brains out then willingly work on G-Wagons. Sure they work pretty well and are fun to drive but gently caress ME RUNNING they're bitches to work on.

They don't spontaneously combust though, so that's a plus

Edit: Wait, are you saying you would blow out your brains, and then work on the G-Wagons, or blow out your brains instead of working on G-Wagons

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

thanks for the help guys! I guess I've got a basic 50/50 split on this, is there anywhere I can find out more about life as a tech fixing poo poo everyone keeps breaking for less than stellar pay?

The CF recruitment page has a LIVE CHAT these days, you could try that.

Edit: Sadly they don't give A/S/L :(

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

HammerOfHope posted:

They might say they're 21/F/NavComm to lure you in but they're probably 45/M/MP :cop:

'Just turned 18 or 19, depending on which is local drinking age in your area' is probably a sign they're not who they claim to be

COMSEC :end101:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Samu posted:

No no combat engineers are fags and all they do is hang out with dogs all day.

But seriously, anyone from 1 CER on this site? My DP1 is next month and I really want to get posted to 1 CER but I keep hearing rumors about the base being closed to new Engineers, and that would piss me right off. Also anyone got any ideas what SQ in Wainwright is going to be like? Out here in gagetown it's a complete joke. I don't care about the cold, I just want my weekends of so I can visit my girlfriend in Saskatoon. Got My DP1 course date finally, starts March 4rth and is looking to be hard as gently caress.

Wainwright in winter and girlfriend in Saskatoon? Oh, you poor bastard. I assume you already have neoprene gloves to line the 'winter' gloves they issue, and one of those polar fleece liners for your sleeping bag? If not, get some. And the poly liner socks, if you can pry them from Supply.

Expect to make full use of your winter gear :)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Slippery posted:

Dang man don't beat around the bush, just come right out and ask if the entire Canadian Forces is worthless and lovely, why don't you?

Only since they merged the branches. :v:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fraser CDN posted:

BMQ is 13, SQ and BIQ were combined to DP1 and infantry DP1 is now 13 weeks. They had defensive weed ( trench week) in 2008/09 when I was in Meaford. I believe they do a defensive ex on SQ.

I thought SQ was turned into BMQ/L, since after that I only have my QLs as a sigop.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Also I'm in Fredericton N.B. so I think all we've got is infantry which kind of sucks as far as having options goes.

You've got Combat Eng too, remember? I told you about that.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ruse posted:

I'm not sure what the Reserves has for terms, you could always look into that.

We, uh, don't have terms. You can get out as quickly as you can get the paperwork signed.

Except of course when you're deployed.

Edit: Nice furniture. Very classy, understated.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I would just like to say that I am getting paid to work out for the next two days :smug:

(our Res unit temporarily has too much money for Class A days for this fiscal year)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

Ah, end of fiscal year boons.

"Oh poo poo, we have money left in the budget! Hey, who wants Class A days to clean the gunpark? You don't actually have to clean. Hell, bring your car in, clean that instead. Just make sure you sign for the time."

Well, we did finally get C7A2s, and we haven't given them all a thorough cleaning yet, so that's a week of Class A right there

edit: maybe two weeks

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 9, 2011

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Flanker posted:

edit: gently caress the C7A2. Various problems that didn't need solved....by committee!

Really, I just like having a collapsible stock instead of a fixed one. The cocking handle... ehhh.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Simkin posted:

Well, isn't there some talk about a machine pistol finding its way into our grubby hands in the not-too-distant future?

I hear MPs are being issued C8s with holosights in some units, so...?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh man. Got called at 9 this morning as a check of the fanout, report at the unit with FFO and ruck. Unit-level check to see if we're prepared in case we get called up for floods in MB. From what I understand, there'll be a Bde-level check too for 38 CBG - they're pretty serious about expecting floods on par with '97.

But goddamn do my abs hurt after humping my ruck from downtown. Weekend bus schedules hosed me over, man :gonk:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 14, 2011

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hey, is it a bad thing if an officer in your chain tells you "you have a very expressive face"

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Hizawk posted:

Be honest. It's really hard to be turned down. Physically, it's pretty easy, but all the Army cares about is your running time, pushups, situps and pullups. So work on those.

Unless you get rotator cuff tendonopathy. Then they won't let you on course for 2 months minimum :negative:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

swagger like us posted:

Man, brown boots, useable uniforms, useable raingear... I've only been in (and the reserves to boot) for 5 years and I still remember my old Mk3s, and non-CADPAT winter jacket, rubber rainjacket and lovely rucksack. Am I gonna be one of those fucks who bitches to new troops about how good they have it? Im only an infantry corporal with no tour for godsakes.

I have all of those except the Mk3s because they didn't have any in my size when I came in and had to order in the GPs.

So, that's a no.

(Res Sigop Pte :negative: )

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

Congrats guys, it's taken just short of 1900 posts but WE'RE GOLD BABY, GOLD!
On that note, is anyone still on waiting lists for essential kit?

am I supposed to have only one pair of old-sole WWBs

because I do

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

I had a friend in basic who was an RN. She told me that she re-learned everything in DP1, so I guess it doesn't matter what you know. She gets a real kick from her job though, so it must be at least decent. On a seperate note, does anyone know if the new combats we are getting are button up or zipper style?

AFAICT they're zipper and velcro, at least from the powerpoint earlier in the thread. Apparently you can be injured by falling on a button :shepface:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Serendipitaet posted:

There is this guy in one of my classes at Uni who introduced himself as "a drill instructor in the army" which I found hardly convincing because he was a short, noodly armed fat guy and a total sociopath to boot. He kept making vague references to the military culture throughout the class and was a total dick overall.

I sort of want to call him out on his bullshit but I have little knowledge of the Canadian Forces. He said he was infantry, so he could have been in one of three (or two, since he doesn't speak French?) batallions, right? What rank would he need to have to be a "drill instructor"?

We have drill instructors?

Easiest way to call him out: ask him about Cadets, and which regiment he's from. In that order.

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, exactly. I mean, there's one MCpl in my Res Sig Sqn who has a hardon for teaching drill on summer BMQs, but he's an exception.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 13, 2011

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

compressioncut posted:

That have been brainlessly modified and edited over the years so they're full of continuity, content, syntax and spelling errors...also Frenglish/franglais.

I swear, half the powerpoints I see still have the "Centre d'entrainement" background. Even the English voice procedure ones.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know when C&E collar dogs are supposed to be issued/worn? Initial DEU issue, completion of BMQ/L, trades course completion? I'm trying to look this poo poo up but all I can find is "Members of branches other than combat arms shall receive branch badges in accordance with the procedures established by individual Branch Advisers."

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

You usually only wear unit/trade specific poo poo when you're qualified and in a unit. I don't know the specifics, but you'll know when to wear them when you're told to wear them.

Also I only have 3 weeks left in this job! I go on my HHT next week, gently caress yea.

I'm in a Reserve Sig Sqn and we don't actually have our own Stores, so nobody has any idea whether I'm supposed to wear the Jimmys.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

stevobob posted:

As far as my unit rolls, you wear all your poo poo as soon as you get your DEUs, and just add badges as you get trade qualified and marksman and poo poo.

edit: I'm also a sigs reservist, so take this with a mine of salt

Fair enough, AFAICT the prevailing opinion is "look as much like the other guys as possible" so

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

stevobob posted:

One thing is that our cap badge is given once you complete SQ/BMQ-L. Other trades only give it to you once you're actually trade qualified. Because of this I ASSUME you can wear the collar dogs and all as soon as you're done BMQ-L, it makes sense to me and I doubt anyone would actually say anything since you don't have the badge denoting QL3/DP1 completion.

I hate this ACISS poo poo, I didn't do my 5s last summer but I have my 3s and I'm having trouble figuring out how I stand as far as qualification in the new system. :geno: Pretty sure I just need DP2 now but someone mentioned some kind of ACISS conversion course.

I did BMQ/L with some combat engineers who had their beavers, though :confused:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo the mess dinner is this weekend and I have to wear a bowtie for it

I can't loving tie a bowtie, what was I thinking

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So, anyone hear about that naval IntO from Halifax who's being charged with selling information to "a foreign entity"?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lassitude posted:

Lift weights and go for a run. Try and get your name in to do your BMQ/SQ/DP1 over the summer. Practice writing your name on stuff. Make sure you have a convincing war face.

Learn to fold shirts. Think about buying an iron at some point in the future, but don't actually do it. Buy boot polish. Gaze lustfully at all of the stuff CPGear carries. Buy a knife, or three, and make sure you have them at all times.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Am I allowed to bring anything to BMQ?
If yes, what should I pack?

Two bottles of alcohol, hidden in your barracks box. Make sure you also decide midway through week 1 that BMQ is too tough for you and threaten suicide.

Try to time it so it's right after a meth lab is discovered in a PAT platoon in the same building. MPs will love you.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So those new CADPATs are actually out now, eh? I guess we in the Reserves can look forward to seeing them sometime in the next year or two.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Any advice on what poo poo to pack for Bison Warrior out in Shilo this coming week? I'm out there as a general duties private so I'm not sure what poo poo to expect slung at me.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
How about weather-wise, what should I be expecting?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha I still have the garbage bag goretex. I swear, someone in substores hates me.

I'm thinking of bringing a generic USB charger and a few spare cables for iPod / BB / whatever poo poo. Not sure if I'd really need my fleece too much if the low is going to be -6, but I'll pack my thermals at least.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

12gaugelobotomy posted:

You need to TELL them you need it not ASK for it. assuming you've finished your BMQ/SQ you are entitled to it. same goes for those snazzy goretex socks. go back to 17 wing and try talking to the filipino he's a civilian and is more than happy to give stuff away. the uniformed bin rats seem to have some hoarding tendencies.

Well the LS at the NSkR armoury is a pretty cool dude, but they never seem to have anything useful in stock :/

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Welp, back from Ex Northern Bison, which turned out like Western Defender last year - opfor did too well, had to be crippled, blah blah.

I wound up seconded to the line section, which meant sitting in my mod tent with my Kindle. Yep.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So you can unsnap it and use it as a sort of sun-blocking thing, like a baseball cap only entirely ineffective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So I just found out via SMS that a person at my unit might be brought up on charges for apparently cheating on her fiancé. Weird way to find that out...

Edit: turns out it was just her fiancé friend trying to find out if she'd cheated on him, n/m

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 28, 2012