Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Why did you guys join in such terrible shape that you couldn't pass the bare minimum standards to stay on a platoon? The standards are so incredibly low, that you should be embarrassed for saying you are in the fat camp. Seriously. The majority of WFT is filled with shitpumps, in my opinion.

Anybody else have signs all over their mess saying that the menu will be limited until April? Apparently they're running out of money for food. I am upset about this because I loved steak night thursdays, and ribs and chickenwings on fridays.

I'm posted in Kingston, doing my trade qualification courses for ATIS Tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

One of you dudes should give me a pair of your old parade boots. They shine and look so much better than the new ones. My friend was just given a pair from someone on my course. It's so easy to shine them and they look amazing.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Anyone else doing the army run this weekend?

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Just got back from it, it was tons of fun, and a new personal best! What a great event, I'll definitely be doing it yearly from now on. Perfect weather for running too.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

I'm posted to Baggotville and I only speak English. Give me some tips and advice!

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

tuyop posted:

Learn french, it's the best language. :)

I'm going to try and get loaded on to a second language course to get my language profile immediately when I get there.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Jeremy360 posted:

e: Just realized how long I've been gone, don't think I ever posted here. I'm a Comm Research awaiting training in Kingston. I've said it, now they'll kill me.

All I want for Christmas is some kind of interview for Level 3/SA. Going on 24 months soon with nothing but a BMQ-L(SQ) under my belt and no confirmation that I am not a terrorist. I'd love to get 404s, but they've dubbed it irrelevant to the trade.

Not to derail things, but has anyone gone CF-->RCMP? I haven't gone to the BPSO about it yet. Things get around and I take enough flak for wearing NCDs on an Army base already.

24 months? We probably know eachother, or did at some point on pat.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

There isn't any benefits to signing a 25 year other than less paperwork, right?

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

A good lady I went to basic with has gone missing in Shilo, I figured I might as well send you all a link because at this point everything helps.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/05/06/manitoba-missing-soldier.html

quote:

The Canadian Forces Military police is looking into the disappearance of a female soldier.

Private Michelle Recksiedler-Berry was last seen on April 27 in the Dominion City area.Private Michelle Recksiedler-Berry was last seen on April 27 in the Dominion City area. (Canadian Forces)

Private Michelle Recksiedler-Berry, 34, also known as Michelle Berry, was last seen April 27 in the Dominion City area, about 20 kilometres from the U.S. border.

According to the military, she had been on leave from CFB Shilo, east of Brandon, and was visiting her mother.

Canadian Forces officials said Recksiedler-Berry did not return after leaving to buy cigarettes.

She was believed to be driving a white 1994 Plymouth Voyager van with a burgundy stripe.

Recksiedler-Berry is described as 5 foot five inches, 135 pounds, with a medium build and short dark hair. She also wears dark-rimmed glasses.

She was wearing a light blue T-shirt and dark pants at the time of her disappearance.

Captain Karina Holder, a spokeswoman with the national investigative service, said the soldier's disappearance is rare.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Military Police in Winnipeg at 204-833-2500 ext 3028.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Trying to get certain administrative things done on a french base is impossible if you don't speak the language. I just spent over an hour trying to correct a form that was sent in wrong with the OR, and of course they assign me to a new private there that knows no english at all.

I can't wait to start my SLT so I can talk to people!

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

E.Nigma posted:

Make sure you say "Yes" to this question without hesitation. The interviewer will think you're hardcore and give you the job.

And never blink.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

I love how Canadian flags at the QM are always hush hush. The supply clerk passed me a couple today like they were illegal drugs.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Why would they take your underwear? That's ridiculous.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

One of those kit bags was mine if it was in T1, and it was filled with really ugly civilian clothes. Some dirty underwear too!

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

All the people earlier in the thread bragging about vacation time: I've been off since June 17th, and am finally headed back to work on Monday, August 8th.

10 days special admin, 8 days annual, 2 special short (air show), 2 or 3 civic holidays.. a couple other things.. yep.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Samu posted:

i wish i was airforce

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

DP1 is your first career course, I think. I get confused with all the name changes.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

So, what exactly is the reason we can't claim haircuts on our taxes again?

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

My Spirit Otter posted:

On a related note, I found out one of our new lieutenants was a pilot in training then alledgedly transferred to artillery because he didn't enjoy it. It kind of blows my mind.

I don't understand how someone can make such a drastic change in career path like that.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Not the smartest move

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

I hate it when people show up to work drunk.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Your day to day life will consist of doing whatever they tell you to do that day. Which is usually nothing - sitting around. It's really boring.

EO Techs aka Toaster Techs get to do POET, in Kingston, which is a pretty sweet course! I took it a couple years ago, and its pretty mentally demanding in terms of military courses.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

I've been in Kingston the last two years and the base is really bad, but the town is great! You have Queen's, RMC, and SLC nearby, so the town is filled with college aged people. It's a pretty good party town.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

My Spirit Otter posted:

Same with Via Rail's free travel in the summer.

It's only 50% off these days.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

You're out of dress.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Flanker posted:

If you can't get laid in Ottawa you should kill yourself. This applies to all men, gay or straight.

Same can be said for Kingston as well.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

I can answer any general questions concerning the ATIS trade.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

tuyop posted:

Awesome, how long did you wait for training?
I finished BMQ Sept 2009 and was on POET two weeks later. After POET, I waited 2.5 months to be loaded onto my QL3s

tuyop posted:

Where? What was your life like while awaiting?
POET and QL3 courses take place in CFB Kingston, at CFSCE. Life while awaiting training consists of getting yelled at, doing random tasks to keep you busy, and being bored. If you ask for things and aren't an idiot, however, you can generally find a good permanent tasking

tuyop posted:

How was posting?
After you complete POET and QL3, the career manager sends you to a Wing (Comox, Cold Lake, Bagotville, Winnipeg, Trenton, Shearwater, Greenwood, Northbay), normally, to do your QL4s (a large package covering all aspects of ATIS Techs) and learn the basics of our trade

tuyop posted:

What do you day-to-day now that you're trained?
It depends on where you're placed when you arrive at your wing. At a wing, there's about 5 sections, each completely different with many, many different courses. The sections are basically: Radar, Telephony, Computers, Networks, A/V Equipment.

Day to day depends on where you are placed. Radar guys do daily, weekly, and monthly inspections, and then sit around until something breaks.
Telephony works with the phone lines, obviously. Lots of TELECOMM room usage for these guys. Computer guys generally ghost computers all day while fixing simple computer/device related problems. Network guys have all the administrative rights of the base, and AV guys set up all the base presentations.

tuyop posted:

What were your staff like throughout?
Hit and miss, but there were a lot of decent instructors throughout the training in Kingston, and a lot of them genuinely cared about the troops. Keep in mind, however, that its Kingston, and although we're airforce, our training doesn't take place on an airforce base, unfortunately.

tuyop posted:

How was poet?
Long days, short weeks. They poured information down our throats all day from 7-3, and then we had to deal with regular army stuff before, inbetween, and after those hours.

tuyop posted:

What was the lifestyle like on course?
Every course has its own personality. Our course was very young, and Kingston is a really excellent party town, and we took great advantage of that. Lots of drinking and partying took place with many university girls.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Wasting the one advanced promotion in your career going from Pte->Cpl is an awful idea.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Samu posted:

Thanks for the compliment, but short of going SF nothings going to keep me in the army.

Join the airforce and enjoy life!

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

I was able to go to the gym during my stay at St. Jean, after week four. Just try and ask in a way that doesn't make it seem like you're not getting enough PT with them.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

So I just finished a year long french course in Kingston, and ended up with an E, C, B official language profile.

The CF has some pretty amazing perks. I was just paid, for an entire year, to learn a second language. C'est formidable!

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Fraser CDN posted:

My cousin took a french course, they still buy you sports tickets and give you vouchers for beer?

Unfortunately our class wasn't that big on outings, although we did have many opportunities. We visited the war museum in Ottawa, and spent a couple days downtown Kingston enjoying the sun.

We had the chance to plan more things, but nobody wanted to take on the responsibility of organizing anything.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Just get posted to Bagotville and you'll have an immediate opportunity to take french lessons :)

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

There will no longer be exemption status according to my CoC. It will simply be a pass/fail and will not be used as points at all.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Samu posted:

No sweet beards. That was the pioneers when they still existed. They're just wannabe sappers anyways.

:colbert:

You should tell that to them :P

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

One of the main reasons I joined was for this benefit. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

ToeShoes posted:

He touched my hair. He was being unprofessional, and it doesn't matter if he touched my hair or not, because no matter what, it was an unprofessional thing to do.

E: I'm at work for Christ's sake!

If it is a completely different person, and that is his first thing that has bothered you, you should probably just ask him politely to not touch your hair, because it bothers you. He will surely apologize and probably even attempt to avoid joking around with you in the future.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Hizawk posted:

Today I walked into a Brigadier General (we were both in Uniform). I instinctively replied, "Sorry Bro" and continued on my way.

Nothing happened.

Ottawa owns.

It's usually the people around the big G that would jack you up, was he alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Cold Lake has half the PLD rate as edmonton with less housing opportunities/options, as far as I know.