Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Fraser CDN posted:

The system is backed up right now. What use to take 1-2 months takes 3-4.

Unless you're applying for a priority-1 trade, then your application gets rushed through on christmas eve :cool:

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Fraser CDN posted:

Would AC op be one of these? It has a star beside it on the recruitment website, but that information could be 3 years old.

Not sure, but ACSO had to meet a potential candidate deadline by the new year.

Getting an appointment with a doctor, however, is a whole other story.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

melon cat posted:

Hey CF dudes- question for anyone who can help. I've been looking into training to become an Air Combat Systems Officer for a few years, now. Almost ready to take the plunge. Anyone have anything to share about this career choice? Hell, anything about being a Commissioned Officer in general, for that matter?

I too am applying as an ACSO, and I am writing the Air Navigator test next friday. I'm told I should "review grade 12 math" and otherwise learn basic instrumentation and IFR from a handbook they gave to me, as well as be prepared to plot/chart points on a graph/map for the test.

As far I can tell from my own personal research, it's a cool job with a cool title, one of the trades most guaranteed to allow you to be able to train as a pilot eventually, and is otherwise engaging and interesting with a lot of the sort of foreign relations and international vocational opportunities that many other trades don't have access to.

Except for the year of schooling in Winnipeg.
And especially except if you get assigned to a Seaking.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if i get assigned to a seaking im going to become every religion in the world because obviously i did something horribly wrong i need to atone for

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Does anybody know the format of the Air Navigator test? Is it multiple-choice, or do you fill in the blanks; computerized, or hand-written?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I've been studying a GED handbook to brush up on my math, as well as the pilot training book they supplied me with.

I'm no whiz at math. At least, not at mental math. The biggest concern for me is going to be the time limit, since I imagine I won't have a lot of time to manually calculate answers. I figure that doing the GED prep book and as many practice questions as I can find will help me get into a quick and sharp mental capacity for the test.

I'm about 7 years out of high school, and took an unrelated to mathematics major in university, so I'm pretty rusty with math in general.

Maybe as a result I'm not qualified in the first place!

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 27, 2010

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

If I do well remind me to buy you a crate of beer one day, compressioncut <3

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

compressioncut posted:

Don't get hung up on the math part, it's a pretty small section of the test.

Is there trig on this section? That's the only thing that hasn't been reviewed in the books I have that I remember being a part of grade 12 math.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I'm going to read into your words extremely hopefully and conclude that there is little to no trig on said test.

And I know about not discussing the contents of the test is something you agree to and I wasn't trying to get you to ignore that, I just lament that the recruiters barely even know what is on the test themselves because they've never seen it and can't give reliable information about what to prepare for.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Sure I learned it -- 8 years ago.

Also, the reason I'm concerned about it is because it's easy enough to do trig on a calculator, but I've no practice at all doing it without one. And I assume I can't bring one into the test.

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 28, 2010

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Ok I did not pass my airnav test. Math is the worst I hate it. Now I have to be MARS. My life sucks.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

compressioncut posted:

Why not AESOP?

I don't want to bash MARS but seriously, don't do it unless your other option is homelessness.

There just aren't many officer jobs available right now.

You didn't steer me wrong, math just isn't my strong subject, and it really shows under pressure situations. I did really well on the other sections of the test, but my math is so weak that even with 3 months of practice it would probably slip easily into a rusty state.

MARS isn't really something I'm dying to do, but like I said, there aren't many officer positions I qualify for. AESOP sounds interesting, I'll have to bring it up when I go in next tuesday for the interview. At this point, though, I'd just really like to make the April 1 wave of new hires, so maybe my own judgement isn't exactly clear when it comes to insisting on being an officer. I guess I just want to justify the ~$40k I spent on school by doing something with it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I'm really trying to look for alternatives to being a MARS officer while still being an officer.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I feel like I should know the answer to this, but if I do, it is slipping my mind right now.

How are secondary specializations assigned to officers? I feel like it would be pretty engaging to be a weapons control officer on a ship, but I highly doubt I'd be a very good dive officer.

Are they delegated? Do you apply? Do you just select on a form which stream you're going to go through?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

But Father Mulcahy was so nice :confused:

Edit: oh my god... poor Radar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

E.Nigma posted:

My interview isn't far off. I would love to know what to focus on.

During my interview, aside from the normal questions the Captain also asked me about Civilization 4 strategy and if I liked to play Descent Freespace. I presume life on a ship can sometimes require additional stimulation.