Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Drama Llama posted:

So when I applied, I put down MARS as my only trade choice. In my 1 year in so far, I've only met one person with a positive thing to say about the trade. My contract is to 2020. Yay! :suicide:

I am in the process of applying to the CF reg force as a direct entry officer (legal officer). The recruiter has told me that the first contract is for 3-4 years, then the second one is 25 (!) years. What is the significance of the contract? If I decide that the CF isn't for me and I want to go back to a civilian job before my contract is up, what are the consequences if I do that before my contract is up?

So far, the application process has been a lot of bullshit waiting around forever and the recruiters not knowing what is going on. When I first applied in February, I was told there were 4 open positions. I went back in March to provide some missing documentation and was told there were 0 positions. Then in April they called me in for an aptitude test and said there were 5 positions. WTF is going on and am I wasting my time applying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Elgar posted:

Unless I'm mistaken that contract is just a guarantee of employment and you can release at any time.

What happens to my rank and my pension if I release before the end of my term? Obviously these are questions that I don't really want to ask my interviewer. Is there a contract completion bonus or any room for negotiation over a signing bonus? Or is working for the CF more like a take it or leave it offer kind of thing?

Mantle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 11, 2010

Mantle
May 15, 2004

One of the things I have to do in order for my application to proceed is to explain a $0 balance owing on my credit record from Rogers Wireless in 2004. I think the truth is Rogers hosed up and reported something on my credit record that didn't actually exists (I terminated my contract and paid the ETF, so the balance should have been $0) but the CF wants me to explain what happened, why, and how it won't happen again.

The proper way to do it I think would be to contact Rogers and figure out what happened and get it removed. But I think the CF just wants the letter from me to tick off some checkbox. If I just do the letter to bandaid this problem is it going to affect me later on?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

arty = artillery?
sigs = ???

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I've been reading that Canadians can serve in the armed forces of any Commonwealth country. If my goal is to travel the world while I'm young, is this a good way to do it? Is it easier to serve in a foreign armed forces if I am coming from the CF? If it is, as I suspect, how would the CF take knowing that I would want to leave ASAP to join another armed forces?

Finally, are certain professions within the army more difficult to transfer to a foreign armed forces? I ask because I would be joining the CF as a legal officer and law and legal procedure is quite jurisdiction specific (at least on the civilian side, no idea about the military side). I'd like to hear from anyone who has done it either going away or coming over to the CF from somewhere else.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Fire Above posted:

One of my most favourite platoon commanders was also told going officer would be the quickest way to get a slot in recce and all the gucci courses.

What does this mean?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

tuyop posted:

HSLD qualifications

switched on officer

phase 3 infantry

I'm not actually in the army, so I don't know what these mean either... but I am trying to join!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lassitude posted:

with the US as our close neighbour we obviously don't have anything to be worried about when it comes to invasions

Is this a real question? How can a country maintain sovereignty by outsourcing it's security?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

HammerOfHope posted:

Without submarines we'd also be out of the community of submarine-operating countries and would miss out on decisions that may be made that can affect our maritime sovereignty. As mentioned before, that's pretty untenable for a country with the longest coastline in the world.

I didn't think about this, but after reading your post I realized there are international law consequences too. There is a principle in international law that the countries that are most affected are the ones that get to make the rules.

Ergo, if you want to make international law regarding nukes, you have to have nukes.
If you want to make decisions on outer space, you have to have a space program.

Of course, international law isn't "law" in the domestic sense, but it still has the benefits of political pressure.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

After three long years of BS, I am finally booked for my interview and PT test for the reserves (artillery). How should I prepare, both physically and for the interview?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hizawk posted:

Be honest. It's really hard to be turned down. Physically, it's pretty easy, but all the Army cares about is your running time, pushups, situps and pullups. So work on those.

By running time do you mean endurance or do I need to cover a certain distance in under a certain time? How many pushups pullups and situps are we talking here?

I'm supposed to "know the trade" and know about the army. What should I know about arty? It's the 15th field in Vancouver.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Morristron posted:

When I joined they wanted you to be able to cover 2.4km in 11:45 or something like that. It's not sprinting. I'm a terrible runner and I could cover that. Sidebar: in basic the thing that helped me the most was being able to ruck and do pushups and leg lifts. After battleschool all anybody cared about was my ability to run. Work on it.

The fact that you're here means you probably know the trade better than most of the dudes you'll be in basic with. I wouldn't really worry about that. In fact, if you do know poo poo, pretend you don't. Don't tell anyone. At least not until you get into your regimental history (if you have that in your trades training).

And since I'm handing out generic basic training advice, I'll just to the standard spiel: Just be like everyone else. Don't stand out, don't be a shitpump, don't be obviously better than anyone else, and don't volunteer for anything.

And try to snag an extra set of sheets. It'll come in handy.

I'm not to worried about basic. I'm more worried about passing the interview and being approved for training. What does the career counsellor want to hear?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hizawk posted:

Be honest. It's really hard to be turned down. Physically, it's pretty easy, but all the Army cares about is your running time, pushups, situps and pullups. So work on those.

Actually "being honest" has caused me a lot of problems so far, like with my injury history. What kind of things are dealbreakers to get rejected?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Original scheduled time for interview: 11am
Rescheduled time for interview: 1:30pm
Actual time of interview: 3pm
Number of times I have refilled application forms by hand: 4
Number of times application forms are actually read for content: 0

However apparently I am conditionally accepted into the reserves and am waiting to hear from the unit!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Remember, don't blink, talk about offing ragheads. The interviewing officer will like your gusto.

What kind of unit are you trying for again?

Band. I play trumpet.

However since there is no room in the band officially, I got permission to go in as artillery and parade with both units.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This is an unusual question, but is there a CF equivalent to the Airmen of Note? That is a smoking hot band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCjhaBsBvzk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mantle
May 15, 2004

tuyop posted:

Yeah it took me three years to join the reserves. Lost paperwork all over the place. This is normal.

What's up 3 years in waiting buddy? I've had to do ridiculous things like: fill out the same paperwork by hand 4 times because they said it was out of date every time I got to the next step. Go in for medical checkups multiple times because their validity only lasts for one year. Go in to an interview scheduled at 11am, wait around for the Captain until 3pm, speak to him for 10 mins then leave. Told an 8am exam should be done by noon, finish the exam at 4:30pm.

And this is before I am getting paid to waste my time.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Wow, after three years in limbo I'm getting sworn in tomorrow! Are there any tips from you guys? If I have a choice, should I go for a weekend basic training (Vancouver) or try to get it done in the summer all at once? Pros and cons of each? I do have a full time day job but my contract ends in May and I have nothing lined up.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

tuyop posted:

We went on an advice bender in December. Fill your boots with this valuable knowledge!

I am now officially an untrained private!

As for knowledge, I was thinking more along the lines of advice on how to not get stuck with lovely or broken equipment that doesn't fit. How to make sure my boots fit for the ruck march. Is it better to get gloves that have space at the fingertips or space at the webbing? I read something about getting gortex socks too?

That kind of stuff because I figure once it's assigned it's hard to change.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Tom Swift posted:

Anyone have any idea when BMQ and BMQ-Land dates for the Summer will be posted. I've got just over a month left of classes + exams but not solid dates in terms of training. Also if we're doing a full time Reserve BMQ can one expect time to hit the gym in the evenings? Or is our only PT what the course/schedule programs for us?

I don't know if it's national or not, but the training booker guy at my unit said the schedule won't be out until some time in April. I am waiting to book BMQ and BMQL too.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Frankie! posted:

Can anyone here tell me about Ceremonial Guard duty in Ottawa?

What will you be doing there? I have a few friends going this year as musicians.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Barrakketh posted:

Woah.

Is this tax free? Otherwise, I'm losing at least 1k.

My understanding is that the payment is an acceleration of severance that you would have gotten when you left the army. Therefore it is employment income, and taxable under the income tax act.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 8, 2012

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm applying to be a legal officer which is a purple trade so I get to choose my colors. Which working uniform is the best?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Doing the forces test today, let's see how it goes.

I guess they caught Cpl Bloggins.

Where are you hearing what's happening?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Does anybody here have any experience on joining one of the reserve unit bands, or what its like in general? My music instructor mentioned that he had done it way back, and joining the reg force band down the road is something I've been flirting with the idea of pursuing.

I'm a reserve musician. What do you want to know? As far as I'm concerned it's the best gig ever for a musician, especially if you are still in university. Paid tuition, summer employment, and a job after you graduate actually related to your field. I would say the experience varies a lot on the individual band. Which reserve band are you thinking of applying to?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Well, I guess one of my first questions is what kind of skill level do I need to have in your experience? Like I can play most of the main service marches, Colonel Bogey, etc., but I'm still re-learning my instrument (euphonium) after a 3 year break, so I'm still a little rusty and things like double-tonguing are still outside what I can currently do. If I end up doing it, which basically will come down to whether I have the skill for it, I'm going to apply to the Loyal Edmonton Regiment band. I'm actually going to go in and do a sit-in with them this week.

It really depends on the band's needs and the standard of that particular band. For example, in Vancouver you would pretty much need to play at a university graduate level or play an instrument they were desperately missing, whereas in Victoria you could join if you could play at a strong high school level.

The best thing to do is what you are doing and sit in with them. It's not just marching music, both bands I have played in play concert repertoire too.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Apparently the CAF is having recruiting problems! And there's a 4500-man shortfall in the Reserves

QUELLE SUPRISE!

Is this a problem for reg force too?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone in here that has recently done a CT from reserve to reg force? I'm scheduled to take a TSD-PI test and interview with the BPSO soon but am having trouble finding someone to talk to who will share information about the process with me.

Apparently the TSD is some sort of personality test and the BPSO interview is to "determine eligibility". At this stage is it more like a screening test/interview? What kind of things should I do to ensure a good report from the BPSO?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Melian Dialogue posted:

As well, while his case doesn't really show it, the military's view on mental health is complete bullshit, and it puts up a face/front of "Come out! Ask for help! We'll support you!" but then uses that as leverage to kick people out or whatever.

I totally agree with this. I answered truthfully on my first medical questionnaire because I thought it was for liability purposes and it turned into "get a doctor's note for every little thing you disclosed" and my doctor almost refused to help me. I then realized it became a game of "suck it up and act like a man" if you want to be in the army.

I think the trick now is to just hide everything until you're in, then disclose later. Typical beg for forgiveness rather than ask permission bullshit.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MagicCube posted:

Yeah, that's actually terrible advice that could involve spending some time at Club Ed.

That's the actual advice given to me by a Captain trying to recruit me when I was 15.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Frankie! posted:

So I put in for a transfer from reservist infantry to reg force pilot. It's been something like 4 months since I've heard a peep from DMCPG 5-5, and my clerks are saying this is totally normal, and that there is literally nothing I can do to know what's happening (or not happening). I have not been assigned a broker or anything - they only contacted me to have them sent my diplomas and other academic info.

I'm betting this is normal, red star and NOW HIRING nonwithstanding... Right?

I'm in the process of doing a CT from reserve to reg force too, started in October 2013. I first heard back in June 2014 and just had an interview with the BPSO last month with the intake likely happening in the April 2015 fiscal year. My experience has been that if you don't hear anything it doesn't mean the wheels are not (slowly) grinding.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

David Corbett posted:

Say, uh... How's the reserves for a part-time job doing income supplementation for a full-time job in another field? Any demand for university-educated people? Or is joining the reserves to make more money/fill empty time such a crazy concept that I'd receive an immediate medical disqualification just for thinking about it, all reverse catch-22 like?

E: I just read the last several pages of this thread. On second thought, let us not go to the reserves. 'Tis a silly place.

I think it depends on what your trade is. If you want to go into combat arms now might be a sucky time to join. If there are other jobs you are interested in now is as good a time as any.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

David Corbett posted:

The reserves are in the media today - this time, it's from a campaign promise to increase their size from 24,000 to 30,000 over the next four years.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/stephen-harper-pledges-expansion-of-military-reserves-1.3193200

There was some noise in there about budgets for the reserves as well. Does anyone here have any comments about this?

After the publicity shoot it will go something like this: http://globalnews.ca/news/1041276/canadian-military-set-to-cancel-2-billion-order-for-armoured-vehicles/

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Here's a CBC bio on him from 2011:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhW24MqDGTU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My reading is CF members are OK in civvies, only civvy air crew has to be uniformed.

E: source http://www.catsa.gc.ca/using-your-nexus-card

Mantle fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 17, 2016

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Look up the individual airline policies but I've used extra check-in showing my CF one card or military ID wearing civvies and for personal travel.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Freeze posted:

Your friends are sort of correct. If you transition without a break from the CAF to the Federal Public Service (ie. Last day of service: 11 May, first day as a Public Servant: 12 May) your salary will be as closely matched as possible within your new civilian classification.

By that I mean: if you were making $60k a year, and started as an AS-01, which has a salary range of $35k to $55k (for example), you would start at the top of the payscale and immediately make $55k/yr because it's the closest match to your previous salary. If your first day as a Public Servant was 13 May instead, you would start at the bottom of the scale as usual.

This sounds pretty awesome. Is there a source for this policy? I'd like to do some more research into it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Samu posted:

How do I get a job with the Federal Government? I'm working as an excavator operator for a construction company and to say I hate it would be putting it lightly.

I just want a cushy government job. What do I do?

https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page2440?fromMenu=true&toggleLanguage=en

Apply here. Start practicing to write the exams for the annual intake that happens in September.

A great entry level employer is CRA and they need people every year for tax season starting in January.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'll be in Paris in March and I'm wanting to plan a visit to Vimy. Is this something that can be done as a day trip or should it be an overnight? Any tips on transport (bus/rent car/train?) Any suggestions about the trip are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have both the 82OD ruck sack and the new cadpat one and have been ordered to return one. I've never had the opportunity to use the new one in the field so I don't know which one is better.

What are the pros and cons of both of the ruck sacks so I can decide which one to return? If it matters I was fitted for the new one with some sort of frame.