Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Drama Llama posted:

So when I applied, I put down MARS as my only trade choice. In my 1 year in so far, I've only met one person with a positive thing to say about the trade. My contract is to 2020. Yay! :suicide:

Wait, you can sign up in the Canadian Forces for 10 years? Whoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Lt. Jebus posted:

Basic Training was was better when it was done at CFB Chilliwack.

It was a sad day when they closed the base and moved training to St Jean.

If only because "Chiliwack" is like, the best name for a base ever

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Mr.48 posted:

Some guys from my regiment did go, but they were doing checkpoints at the G8. A few guys were also in Toronto for the G20, but I'm not sure about what capacity they were employed in.

The G8: almost three times better than the G20

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Drama Llama posted:

Most poorly-worded headline I've seen in a while now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11591214

:psyduck:

Huh, you guys have a specialty code for "sex murder pilot?" I bet they get a lot of applicants

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Hatter106 posted:

I'm curious about this.
Is it just guys in one service ragging on the other two, or are some of the armed forces objectively better than the others? What's the pros/cons of Army, Navy, Airforce?

That's a loaded question; all services have pros and cons. Depends what you're looking for and what you want out of your time in the military, and what you want to do afterwards...

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

tuyop posted:

Well, except the air force. There are no pros to being in the air force.

The inherent smugness endemic to being in the best service??

:v:

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

MA-Horus posted:

All your senior officers wear women's underwear.

Wrong country's AF :(

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

MA-Horus posted:

Certain eye-sight conditions will disqualify you for combat arms. I was combat arms, but then they found out I had different sight in one eye, so I had to go logistics.

Logistics IS a combat arm :colbert:

Unknown Logistician posted:

Logisticians are a sad and embittered race of men who are very much in demand in war, and who sink resentfully into obscurity in peace. They deal only in facts, but must work for men who merchant in theories. They emerge during war because war is very much a fact. They disappear in peace because peace is mostly theory. The people who merchant in theories, and who employ logisticians in war and ignore them in peace, are generals.

Generals are a happy blessed race who radiate confidence and power. They feed only on ambrosia and drink only nectar. In peace, they stride confidently and can invade a world simply by sweeping their hands grandly over a map, point their fingers decisively up terrain corridors, and blocking defiles and obsticles with the sides of their hands. In war, they must stride more slowly because each general has a logistician riding on his back and he knows that, at any moment, the logistician may lean forward and whisper: "No, you can't do that." Generals fear logisticians in war and, in peace, generals try to forget logisticians.

Romping along beside generals are strategists and tacticians. Logisticians despise strategists and tacticians. Strategists and tacticians do not know about logisticians until they grow up to be generals--which they usually do.

Sometimes a logistician becomes a general. If he does, he must associate with generals whom he hates; he has a retinue of strategists and tacticians whom he despises; and, on his back, is a logistician whom he fears. This is why logisticians who become generals always have ulcers and cannot eat their ambrosia.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Simkin posted:

Ha. Maybe in your Army.

Nah, not for us either, it was more of a hopeful :colbert: than a realistic one.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Ruse posted:

Ah yes, clerks. I don't know how many horror stories I've heard of people just being shafted over and over on paper and by people who are just plainly unsympathetic because it isn't them. I've even overheard two clerks at a Tim Hortons talking about how they were just losing paperwork because the guy they were dealing with was a dick. I'm sure he was a dick, does that mean you have to lose his god drat claim paperwork?

Cunts.

This is why I'm always nice to admin people...you just never know who might decide to get some revenge on you for being a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Coccyx posted:

Are the CF competent? No offense but the term 'clusterfuck' gets brought up more than I would prefer.

Dang man don't beat around the bush, just come right out and ask if the entire Canadian Forces is worthless and lovely, why don't you?